Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to fly to Primary Hubs.

Options
  • 09-09-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

.irishexaminer.com/business/ryanair-agrees-to-buy-200-boeing-planes-285515.html
    Ml O'Leary stated yesterday that Ryanair will start flying to primary hubs as other airlines cut routes. Now I don't know if this another attempt at geting the press to start giving him free publicity like he gets with "Ryanatlantic" for want of a better way to describe it. What primary airports does FR fly to at the moment? Madrid is the only one off hand that I can think off. Will he start to introduce conectivity, it would make me more inclined to consider FR in the future if they introduced it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

roundymac wrote: »
    .irishexaminer.com/business/ryanair-agrees-to-buy-200-boeing-planes-285515.html
    Ml O'Leary stated yesterday that Ryanair will start flying to primary hubs as other airlines cut routes. Now I don't know if this another attempt at geting the press to start giving him free publicity like he gets with "Ryanatlantic" for want of a better way to describe it. What primary airports does FR fly to at the moment? Madrid is the only one off hand that I can think off. Will he start to introduce conectivity, it would make me more inclined to consider FR in the future if they introduced it.

Barcelona, Brussels, has applied for slots at Amsterdam, Glasgow rather than Prestwick; there's a few others also I think. Its been a definite concerted change in the last two years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

They're turning the screw on a lot of competitors, they are telling their customers that they are innovating everything they do, whether on large or small scales. New website, new business classes, easing baggage restrictions, and now an order for state of the art planes leading to a fleet of 500+. All the while airlines are reducing services.

2014 has been about Ryanair saying "We are the airline of the future"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Fiumicino instead of Ciampino in Rome. New route to Athens as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

They fly to lots of primary airports now. Barcelona, Madrid, Brussels BRU, Rome FCO, Athens, Lisbon plus smaller city primary airports like Prague, Budapest, Bucharest, cologne, Hamburg etc. probably others.
    They fly to every major airport in Spain and the UK excluding Heathrow.
    Ryanair fly to a huge amount of quite small cities too and they generally fly to the primary airport in these.

Edit: Oh excluding Belfast too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

They're turning the screw on a lot of competitors, they are telling their customers that they are innovating everything they do, whether on large or small scales. New website, new business classes, easing baggage restrictions, and now an order for state of the art planes leading to a fleet of 500+. All the while airlines are reducing services.

2014 has been about Ryanair saying "We are the airline of the future"

Where exactly is "innovation" in all of the above?

Their previous website was 10+ years behind competition, they are merely catching up.

Their draconian baggage restriction were loathed by everyone in Europe, they are merely catching up.

etc etc.

Love the way the fanboys spin all of this as innovation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Where exactly is "innovation" in all of the above?

Their previous website was 10+ years behind competition, they are merely catching up.

Their draconian baggage restriction were loathed by everyone in Europe, they are merely catching up.

etc etc.

Love the way the fanboys spin all of this as innovation!

I dont think the website was behind, it was purely as designed, but now they're changing tact. The baggage restrictions helped them get to where they are by allowing them to offer lower prices to those without. Its hard to deny that Ryanair are innovators of the industry.

I like Ryanair, they're the first airline I check with and they've never let me down, but I wouldnt describe myself as a 'fanboy'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

- Big Foot
    - Lough Ness Monster
    - Ryanatlantic
    - Standing Flights
    - Toilet Charge
    - Primary Hub flights

Guess what they all have in common? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If Ryanair can move closer to the Southwest Airlines business model then they will destroy the legacies all across Europe, The Ryanair model of old was just too miserly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

when they get the brand new planes, which internally and externally look fantastic from the images I have seen, this will give them another advantage. It will be nice in 2014 to actually fly in something that has something other than a dated cabin which is exactly what any of the short hauls I have been on have... The AirExplorer flight I was on the other day (operated on behalf of Ryanair) really took the biscuit...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Idbatterim wrote: »
    when they get the brand new planes, which internally and externally look fantastic from the images I have seen, this will give them another advantage. It will be nice in 2014 to actually fly in something that has something other than a dated cabin which is exactly what any of the short hauls I have been on have... The AirExplorer flight I was on the other day (operated on behalf of Ryanair) really took the biscuit...

Nothing beats Norwegian for nice interior (free WiFi too) short haul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Really amazing now that between Ryanair, Easyjet and Norwegian, there are 692 firm orders for 737/A32x, plus 356 options for the same, staggering figures. Can all three actually have their cake and eat it with all these orders I wonder?

Back on topic, I think Ryanair have really laid the groundwork for this new approach of theirs in the last few years by at least moving to some bigger airports. They are still missing from the true Primary hubs of Europe though. I would consider these first and foremost to be LHR, CDG, FRA & AMS, and to a lesser extent MUC maybe. This isn't really so much of an issue I don't think given Ryanair don't do connections.

In the case of those five as well, in the case of London I don't think this really matters given their presence at other major airports here. In the case of Paris, yes they have BVA but maybe they have missed a trick in not trying to infiltrate Orly, although I know Ryanair have a checkered history in France which may have stopped them doing this anyway. In the case of MUC and AMS, they don't have real alternatives. FRA is a true hub, rather than a major city, so to speak so I doubt Ryanair would be too bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Back on topic, I think Ryanair have really laid the groundwork for this new approach of theirs in the last few years by at least moving to some bigger airports. They are still missing from the true Primary hubs of Europe though. I would consider these first and foremost to be LHR, CDG, FRA & AMS, and to a lesser extent MUC maybe. This isn't really so much of an issue I don't think given Ryanair don't do connections.

While getting my facts straight earlier I saw this (IT):
    Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary has previously said the only airports it will never fly to are London Heathrow, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Paris Orly, and Frankfurt Main. The airline declined to comment last night as it is in a closed financial period.

I guess time will tell if that ever changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

LHR has to be the most unlikely you would think. Then again even Easyejt have apparently said they would consider LHR

On this one, if the story about Virgin Little Red ceasing operations is true and some of the slots left over are benchmarked for competitors to BA on the EDI and ABZ routes, I wonder would Easyjet be interested. Apparently much of Liittle Reds traffic on these routes is O&D so you never know

Zonda999 wrote: »
    LHR has to be the most unlikely you would think. Then again even Easyejt have apparently said they would consider LHR

On this one, if the story about Virgin Little Red ceasing operations is true and some of the slots left over are benchmarked for competitors to BA on the EDI and ABZ routes, I wonder would Easyjet be interested. Apparently much of Liittle Reds traffic on these routes is O&D so you never know

Little red won't be going anywhere till 2016, they are sitting on the slots so Virgin can then use them as long haul slots. All these rumours of little reds demise are based on one newspaper report and ill informed commentary based on this article that has jumped to the answer of "well it's doing bad so they must be going to close it".

Those slots are worth a lot to Virgin, the dabble in the short haul market was only that a dabble if it worked it worked if it didn't they lost a quantifiable amount of money but in return got a bag load of slots that would have cost them a fortune if they were to buy them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Stinicker wrote: »
    If Ryanair can move closer to the Southwest Airlines business model then they will destroy the legacies all across Europe, The Ryanair model of old was just too miserly.

That would mean paying their staff above the average aviation salary and giving them a share of the profits every year. Not going to happen with MoL or similar at the helm. I have never liked the comparison with Southwest, while MoL did take inspiration from their operation (single type, point to point travel, minimum frills, cheaper airports) he also left so much of it out.
    Southwest don't charge for bags, don't charge for snacks onboard either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The AirExplore flight I was on the other day (operated on behalf of Ryanair) really took the biscuit...
    OM-AEX (built 1992) recently seen 2014-09-10 as flight RYR113
    from LGW/EGKK (London) to DUB/EIDW (Dublin).
    ee018e0ea1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Han534

Its about time I have been fooled on many ocasions that I was getting flown to the destination, not 100 miles away

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Han534 wrote: »
    Its about time I have been fooled on many ocasions that I was getting flown to the destination, not 100 miles away

That's your own fault really. I always check how far my destination is from the airport no matter what airline I fly. And FRs airport policy was hardly a secret.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

That's your own fault really. I always check how far my destination is from the airport no matter what airline I fly. And FRs airport policy was hardly a secret.
    Have agree with Cookiemunster here, easy to look up travel options/costs from airport to give you a heads up. And it has always been an element of FR operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Tenger wrote: »
    Have agree with Cookiemunster here, easy to look up travel options/costs from airport to give you a heads up. And it has always been an element of FR operations.

Oh and is one element of why they can be so cheap. I swear too many people just do whatever's in fashion, literally. In this case for most of them it's biting the hand that feeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ive flown to over 30 different airports with Ryanair air across 300+ flights and not once have i ever landed anywhere but where i expected.

each and every one of those airports had proper, swift and cheap connections too to where i wanted to go. Ryanair have done amazing business opening up all parts of Europe, without them 50 or more airports wouldnt even exist today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

ive flown to over 30 different airports with Ryanair air across 300+ flights and not once have i ever landed anywhere but where i expected.

each and every one of those airports had proper, swift and cheap connections too to where i wanted to go. Ryanair have done amazing business opening up all parts of Europe, without them 50 or more airports wouldnt even exist today.

Leave it out Homer, Ryanair are inferior and even perhaps evil with their bargain fares and quality service. Oh wait they let everyone fly rather than a privileged few? Oh that won't do at all, even with the wannabe rich people who also couldn't afford it at all or too frequently before. Up the Tories! (Or whatever you guys call them)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think the only time Ryanair haven't landed where people should have been expecting was the Ballykelly incident and that was a wet lease anyway...

Arguably, Quinnsworth and British Midland brought air travel to the masses here with the yellow pack deals - Ryanair's prices at the time were set at exactly £1 less than the BA/EI IATA fares; by the time they went low cost in the mid 1990s, fares had already collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

beazee wrote: »
    OM-AEX (built 1992) recently seen 2014-09-10 as flight RYR113
    from LGW/EGKK (London) to DUB/EIDW (Dublin).

Been on two of the Airexplore ones... feel more cramped and smaller, thats for sure.

Cool to see the old ashtrays in the armrests, albeit glued shut though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ryanair has applied for slots at Charles de Gaulle and Orly airports and is in talks with other airports in France as it seeks to transform itself into a feeder carrier for long-haul traditional airlines.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/09/30/uk-ryanair-france-idUKKCN0RU0J120150930

• Registered Users Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ryanair has applied for slots at Charles de Gaulle and Orly airports and is in talks with other airports in France as it seeks to transform itself into a feeder carrier for long-haul traditional airlines.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/09/30/uk-ryanair-france-idUKKCN0RU0J120150930
    and the headline in the irish independent was "Ryanair applies for two Paris slots", obviously having zero comprehension of what a slot actually is, which is hard to believe after the whole discussion of the importance of Heathrow slots.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/world/ryanair-applies-for-two-paris-slots-looking-at-longhaul-alliances-oleary-31570290.html

muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

More free advertising for FR and MOL, now that the T/As are ruled out it's slot's at major airports that are the bait.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,892 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Locker10a wrote: »
    EasyJet won't like this

same for Aer Lingus. That absolute dump Beauvais and it's lack of ground connections put a lot of people off using that route as a way of getting into Paris. Bit of a game changer.

Advertisement