Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to fly to Primary Hubs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Strumms wrote: »
    same for Aer Lingus. That absolute dump Beauvais and it's lack of ground connections put a lot of people off using that route as a way of getting into Paris. Bit of a game changer.

Two of my most hated airports, beavais and cdg.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Charles de Gaulle is famously bad, but Beauvais is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Charles de Gaulle is famously bad, but Beauvais is worse.

Exactly! Not as if ryanair going to cdg makes the trip much better tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

easing baggage restrictions

Dunno about that one. I wont get into a long winded rant but they have definiately edged back towards the bad old days compared to the relax and easy going manner they introduced following Michaels comments about pissing off customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Beauvais is horrible for sure, but I don't understand the hate for CDG. Not that I find it great, but I would say the same thing about most large hubs in Europe. Maybe it's me but if I am flying to Asia I definitely prefer transferring in CDG rather than Heathrow. Francfort is pretty much on par and Amsterdam might be a bit better. Not all the same ones, but they all have issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Paris ORLY with Transavia is the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Although only an evening flight and only from Dublin.

If the final destination is central Paris or a suburb in the south, and you are flexible with times (I think they only have one flight per day) - it is indeed a nice option.

If you are going somewhere around Porte Maillot (or a western suburb of Paris) Ryanair and Bauvais could actually be quicker - though possibly less enjoyable :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,892 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I've not flown them yet but I have noticed some very good prices over the year. I'd be a regular visitor to Paris as in several times a year and was going to use them in January but EI have a sale on and was just cheaper.

Don't get all the hate for CDG really it's an airport with excellent ground connections and easy enough to get around. Beauvais isn't an airport it's a shack with a runway.

Don't get all the hate for CDG really it's an airport with excellent ground connections and easy enough to get around. Beauvais isn't an airport it's a shack with a runway.

I assume one thing people don't like is the lack of decent shops and food options in some terminals (the one Aer Lingus flies to really isn't great, while Air France gets a much better one). Also while there is railway link to central Paris the line is dated and doesn't go through the best suburbs, causing discomfort to some (and occasional theft problems).

But yes as I said as a transfer hub I would choose it over Heathrow anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Bob24 wrote: »
    I assume one thing people don't like is the lack of decent shops and food options in some terminals (the one Aer Lingus flies to really isn't great, while Air France gets a much better one). Also while there is railway link to central Paris the line is dated and doesn't go through the best suburbs, causing discomfort to some (and occasional theft problems).

the rail link is more than just Paris from CDG.
    Theres a TGV station there too with direct links to Britanny, Provence, Lille, Montpellier, Bordeaux and Strasbourg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

same for Aer Lingus. That absolute dump Beauvais and it's lack of ground connections put a lot of people off using that route as a way of getting into Paris. Bit of a game changer.

I guess they will still have their connecting traffic, but Ryanair are slowly closing in on EZY main hubs , AMS, CDG, MAD,BCN to name a few where easyJet were once alone in serving O&D alone

the rail link is more than just Paris from CDG.
    Theres a TGV station there too with direct links to Britanny, Provence, Lille, Montpellier, Bordeaux and Strasbourg

Yes that's great (and is a separate station from the the Paris RER) and I do use it regularly: direct high speed trains from the CDG to Besancon in the east of France were I go to visit family.

But I assumed most Irish tourist flying to CDG have Paris as a final destination and might be put-off by the crapish RER (trying to understand the bad press it seems to have here).

Yeah I guess there are not so many food options in T1 in CDG. I usually take the late flight back to DUB so will have eaten in the city and just have something on the plane.

I don't really get your point about the rail connection however. The rolling stock on RER B have all been completely refurbished over the last couple of years. It's a regular service too. When you say it doesn't go through the best suburbs, I presume you mean the northern banlieues of the city. There is no other way to get from CDG into Paris center ! I've never seen an ounce of hassle on that train either. Lands you smack in the center of Paris with easy onward train or Metro connections like Chatelet, St Michel, Gard Du Nord.

I don't really get your point about the rail connection however. The rolling stock on RER B have all been completely refurbished over the last couple of years. It's a regular service too. When you say it doesn't go through the best suburbs, I presume you mean the northern banlieues of the city. There is no other way to get from CDG into Paris center ! I've never seen an ounce of hassle on that train either. Lands you smack in the center of Paris with easy onward train or Metro connections like Chatelet, St Michel, Gard Du Nord.

I might have been unlucky but last time I used it (December last year) it was not a new or a refurbished train.

And what I meant is that you could come across anti-social behavior on the trains which are not direct to Gard du Nord and stop at most stations on the way. I have heard negative feedback from a couple of people I know who visited Paris and can understand it. I do specifically know a Chinese person who had her iPad stolen by a guy who grabbed it from her and ran out of the train at a station between Paris and the airport. Probably wasn't the smartest thing to use the iPad while sitting next to the carriage door on that train, but tourists arriving at a major European city might like a very safe clean, and faster direct route to the city where they don't have to worry about this type of thing.

Also as far as I know strikes and delays are fairly common line B (and again I have experienced delays myself waiting over 30 minutes for a train as there were delays and the platform is not in a heated area).

All these things do add-up and this is one of the things I suspect might give CDG that bad press (even though once again I don't understand myself why people here are saying they hate it - I dislike some things about it but don't hate it more than most other European large hubs).

I might have been unlucky but last time I used it (December last year) it was not a new or a refurbished train.

And what I meant is that you could come across anti-social behavior on the trains which are not direct to Gard du Nord and stop at most stations on the way. I have heard negative feedback from a couple of people I know who visited Paris and can understand it. I do specifically know a Chinese person who had her iPad stolen by a guy who grabbed it from her and ran out of the train at a station between Paris and the airport. Probably wasn't the smartest thing to use the iPad while sitting next to the carriage door on that train, but tourists arriving at a major European city might like a very safe clean, and faster direct route to the city where they don't have to worry about this type of thing.

Also as far as I know strikes and delays are fairly common line B (and again I have experienced delays myself waiting over 30 minutes for a train as there were delays and the platform is not in a heated area).

All these things do add-up and this is one of the things I suspect might give CDG that bad press (even though once again I don't understand myself why people here are saying they hate it - I dislike some things about it but don't hate it more than most other European large hubs).

I've lived in Paris and used the RER B daily as it was my commute to and from work as well as the boozer my mate used to run and I haven't ever experienced an ounce of hassle. Criminals, pick pockets etc will target public transport in any city London or Dublin no different. Knowing of someone who was mugged or whatever doesn't make the system inherently unsafe.

As for speed. Considering how far the airport is from the center of Paris depending on the train direct or not you can get to Gard Du Nord in 28 mins which is good going. Doing the same commute from Dublin airport in rush hour into our center of the city would take longer.

here are what the refurbished trains look like : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Renovated_train_interiors_of_MI_79_R_05.jpg

To be honest I'd rather the RER then something like the Heathrow express which in fairness as lovley trains but paying upwards of £30 for a one way trip that lasts 10 minutes is rip off central.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I assume one thing people don't like is the lack of decent shops and food options in some terminals (the one Aer Lingus flies to really isn't great, while Air France gets a much better one).

No food at all when I was in CDG 2E earlier this year. The only restaurant in the entire airside area had closed for the evening...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    No food at all when I was in CDG 2E earlier this year. The only restaurant in the entire airside area had closed for the evening...

Are you sure it was 2E? There are definitely more than one place to eat there (not necessarily all proper restaurants with waiting staff coming to your table, but at least places where you can get warm food or salads and sit down) : http://easycdg.com/airport-guide/shopping-and-eating/

Terminal 1 (were Aer Lingus flies) is fairly crap however - once you've passed security I don't think you can get anything better than a pastry or a tiny overpriced sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I've lived in Paris and used the RER B daily as it was my commute to and from work as well as the boozer my mate used to run and I haven't ever experienced an ounce of hassle. Criminals, pick pockets etc will target public transport in any city London or Dublin no different. Knowing of someone who was mugged or whatever doesn't make the system inherently unsafe.

As for speed. Considering how far the airport is from the center of Paris depending on the train direct or not you can get to Gard Du Nord in 28 mins which is good going. Doing the same commute from Dublin airport in rush hour into our center of the city would take longer.

here are what the refurbished trains look like : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Renovated_train_interiors_of_MI_79_R_05.jpg

To be honest I'd rather the RER then something like the Heathrow express which in fairness as lovley trains but paying upwards of £30 for a one way trip that lasts 10 minutes is rip off central.

A tad dramatic maybe? LHR to Paddington £20 (£18 online) for a 15 minute journey (approx 20 miles)
    And you have the alternative of the tube and Heathrow Connect and buses.

Its not dramatic actually. I paid upwards of 30 granted my flight had been delayed into LHR and i needed to be in Camden by a certain time so the walk up price was i given was 31 or something it was defo over 30. Be it 20 or whatever i would hardly call it dramatic to think that is a rip off for a 10 or 15 minute trip.

• Advertisement

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    A tad dramatic maybe? LHR to Paddington £20 (£18 online) for a 15 minute journey (approx 20 miles)
    And you have the alternative of the tube and Heathrow Connect and buses.

In Paris you are paying 9.5 euros for routhly the same distance (to Chatelet les Halles - central Paris) covered in 35 minutes on a less relaxing train. Depends what people value the most I guess - cost or quality of service. Have been to a couple of places in Northern Europe or Asia who are actually delivering both at the same time, beating Paris and London.

Also I won't elaborate as it is not the right place, but RER B definitely is infamous for delays and safety issues.

Its not dramatic actually. I paid upwards of 30 granted my flight had been delayed into LHR and i needed to be in Camden by a certain time so the walk up price was i given was 31 or something it was defo over 30. Be it 20 or whatever i would hardly call it dramatic to think that is a rip off for a 10 or 15 minute trip.

Official fare list to help close the debate: https://www.heathrowexpress.com/tickets-deals/prices-fares

The most expensive one way fare I see (assuming your are not in first class and buy from a counter or ticket machine on the day of the journey) is 21.50 GBP.

Buying on board is 26.50 and can't be compared to Paris as it is not an option there (you are not supposed to get on the train without a ticket and if you do and get caught you'll get a fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Well in those famous words 'you got done mate'. The walk up fare is £21.50 (up £1.50 since I last used it). The bit I was calling dramatic was your implication that the standard fare was 50% more than it actually is.
    I don't disagree that it's a rip off, hence I use the Underground...unless someone else is paying!

Anyway...back to the topic

Prices have changed, I actually have the app on my phone and the ticket saved and the price was £30.65 one way. Fact.

Secondly with the Heathrow Express you don't have the option that I am aware anyway of incorporating that trip onto an oyster card say as you would the tube.

In Paris you can. For example. Going to be spending 3 days in Paris as a visitor you can buy a Paris Visite card at the station at CDG at £39.74 and will include all your travel in Paris and return to the airport. http://parisbytrain.com/paris-visite-pass-card/ That 5 zones also which will take you quite far out also. I think it's clear what the better value is unless you really really get a kick out of that comfy train for all of 15 minutes. Also that card in Paris gives a host of discounts on attractions and tours.

I won't get into the debate about safety as I have years of experience of living in paris and I'll thke that over a sensationalist newspaper article. Felt much more safe travelling the metro and RER late at night then London for example and even here I'll get a taxi before the Luas if its late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

CDG is a kip, BVA is a kip, my choice most times is still BVA due to the bus, I much prefer the bus than the RER, the amount of people pick pocketed and robbed daily from CDG to the city is unbelievable, plus the bus leaves me on the direct line to the No13 metro line for my hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

Damien360 wrote:
    Galway ones (for those that are remaining) has 2 lanes going all the way around and local knowledge dictates that you do as you please.

I never take the RER from CDG anymore, the Roissy (ratp) bus is more convenient, has somewhere for my luggage and, even in rush hour, never takes more than the train. If Ryanair start flying to CDG, I'll be delighted.

markpb wrote: »
    I never take the RER from CDG anymore, the Roissy (ratp) bus is more convenient, has somewhere for my luggage and, even in rush hour, never takes more than the train. If Ryanair start flying to CDG, I'll be delighted.

Where does that bus leave you in Paris ? The RER always works for me as I stay around the 5th literally a two minute walk from Luxembourg station. I am presuming you can get that bus on the Paris Visite card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

Where does that bus leave you in Paris ? The RER always works for me as I stay around the 5th literally a two minute walk from Luxembourg station. I am presuming you can get that bus on the Paris Visite card ?

It leaves from rue Scribe, close to RER Auber or M° Opéra so it's always been handy for me to get to. I've never used the Visite card, just paid cash. I think it's €10 but it's non-stop from Scribe to CDG so it makes good time.

billie1b wrote: »
    CDG is a kip, BVA is a kip, my choice most times is still BVA due to the bus, I much prefer the bus than the RER, the amount of people pick pocketed and robbed daily from CDG to the city is unbelievable, plus the bus leaves me on the direct line to the No13 metro line for my hotel

Billie where do you get off ? The one and only time I used that bus it was non stop to Porte Mailliot which is only served by line 1

• Advertisement

Billie where do you get off ? The one and only time I used that bus it was non stop to Porte Mailliot which is only served by line 1

Unless there is another bus we don't know about you are correct. Only one stop at Porte Maillot: http://www.aeroportbeauvais.com/bus.php?lang=eng

"Direct without stop between Beauvais Airport and the Pershing car park in Paris - Porte Maillot"

But I think what he meant is that he was 1 transfer away from line 13.

Advertisement