Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone been/lived in malta?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Mighty place, I went there this year. No property tax, goood weather and no Fianna Fail. If I was offered a job there I'd be on the first flight out, wouldn't bother making a thread on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Chucken wrote: »
    DeV won't like that comment :P

Why so? Is he a fan of old people and wind (both the meteorological phenom and the bodily function) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I went there on holidays once, and as a holiday place I would go back no problem.
    That being said, the island is so small (I think 20km from side to side) that you get a serious claustrophobic feeling.
    As people have already said, the locals are quite nice and all speak English but it isn't cheap.
    I wouldn't move there tbh but good luck in whatever you chose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Why so? Is he a fan of old people and wind (both the meteorological phenom and the bodily function) ?
    He has a place over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

if you've been offered a job and you're getting paid will you an discount most of this thread.

I loved Malta, went for 10 days with my girlfriend in the spring. Felt there was loads to do, it was a nice size. It was busy, that's the only thing. Like I get the impression that unless you like the sea and can get out on a boat then there isn't much escapism from city life.

I actually also thought it was well priced...

• Advertisement

Tilly wrote: »
    He has a place over there.

Where's he getting that kind of scran? I keep hearing the poor mouth about the site losing money :PAC:

Where's he getting that kind of scran? I keep hearing the poor mouth about the site losing money :PAC:

I'm not his accountant. You'll have to ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm not his accountant. You'll have to ask him.

I think you might be a diplomat.

I think you might be a diplomat.

Wrong again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Mighty place, I went there this year. No property tax, goood weather and no Fianna Fail. If I was offered a job there I'd be on the first flight out, wouldn't bother making a thread on boards

Sounds good, can't be any worse than here I guess.

zweton wrote: »
    Sounds good, can't be any worse than here I guess.

When I was there walking around in the warm (but not too warm) sun in March I was wondering why there are people living in Ireland at all

That nice?

That nice?

For the weather anyway. It was warm but you could still chop a few blocks of timber if you had to without the sweat pouring off you. I need to go back there and see how it is different times of the year

Wouldn't be mad on Valletta though but I reckon I could live somewhere along the south coast in a glorified shed made with yellow blocks, solar panel on the roof, Peugeot 504 pickup outside the door, you'd need feck all heating. Maybe a scrap of land for growing the spuds and an old tiller. I need to find a job there first though :( I swear if I was offered one I'd pack up and go, even if the pay was bad

what part did you stay in?

anyone else been:)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Denis OBrien - he has big interests there and is recruiting a lot of Irish people. One of my mates moved from Digicell(Jamaica) to Malta last week. Seems Malta is where it's at at the mo..

Who's Denis O'Brien?

ok...just googled him.

I was there twice and found the place quite boring. I checked out Sliema and I suppose it was ok. I did feel a bit cut off from the rest of the world as in you can only get to Tunisia or Sicily in any short period of time. And despite the fact that it's a mediterranean island, the food wasn't great. You'd expect loads of tomatoes, onions, olive oil etc for next to nothing but every cafe just seemed to serve lots of stodge like pizzas and (believe it or not) Cornish pasties.
    Now don't get me wrong, if I was a rich bastard I definitely have a little escape flat there. But I wouldn't live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Suppose it is a bit strange that the national dish is a cheesy sausage roll, but there are some great restaurants around in fairness.

Love the wee delis that are so narrow they have to put the counter in at an angle. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

I was there in 2014 and I agree with sh1tbag.
    super spot. would be back there no bother.

Thought the food would be better alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Pretty conservative place, quite catholic. Some issues with over development of properties in and around Valetta and definitely fairly quiet. You'd have a fairly relaxed life I'd say but not much in the way of theatres, concerts (international acts), sports and diversity of restaurants. My host when we there explained that as most of the commercial jobs are centred around Valetta there has been a lot of housing development, traffic can be hectic in the morning too believe it or not. Not talking about housing estates or anything but you'll notice that there isn't much unexploited space in Valetta.

I did a few weeks with work there (IT project nothing to do with DOB!), enjoyed it but was fairly glad to be getting away. Was a wee bit bored in the end.

That said there is a lot to be said for having good beaches all summer, sat and sun on the beach would be grand.

wonder what the maltese are like to work with in general, i heard its a very relaxed/slow work atmosphere. dont know how true that is. shur all i can do is give it a go. its not a bad base to visit some spots in europe i guess.
    can be pretty much anywhere quite quickly.

I was there in 2014 and I agree with sh1tbag.
    super spot. would be back there no bother.

what did you find good about in van damme?

nightlife seems to be fair busy there!

nightlife seems to be fair busy there!

Mostly around paceville really, lots of 14-16 year olds going for playful fingering sessions and puking on the street. The drink is dirt cheap and the places do be having the sh1te Spanish music pumping till the wee hours. I stayed near that part of town but would hate to live there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yup. The people are lovely. Gozo is like a third world country but the mainland is pretty in parts.

Gozo is much nicer than Malta.. most of the well off Maltese spend their weekends and summer there.

It is under developed by EU standards, much like Ireland 60 years ago.

I have been maybe ten times now, parents have a place and we generally head out once a year. If I could have my wages from here while working there I would move, you could have a very nice standard off life.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Agree Gozo is beautiful, would love to go back!
    Good luck with the move OP, if you decide to go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I am pie wrote: »
    That said there is a lot to be said for having good beaches all summer, sat and sun on the beach would be grand.

You may get bored of it pretty quickly.

Advertisement