Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone been/lived in malta?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

kupus wrote: »
    You may get bored of it pretty quickly.

Tis the fricking rain over here that i'm bored of

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Pawn wrote: »
    Yeah, been there a few times. Nice place, wouldn't live there though. Too many tourists (during the summer), dead in the winter. Stuff isn't exactly as cheap as you are probably imagining and the wages are average. Nice place for a couple of weeks -to a month, but that's all about it in my opinion.

Agree 100% worked there for more than six months and was bored stupid

Stheno wrote: »
    Agree 100% worked there for more than six months and was bored stupid

Had you no boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I can sum Gozo up in three simple words.

****ing awesome diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

hmmm what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

zweton wrote: »
    hmmm what to do.

Where is the job located? Does it pay well(keep in mind their average wage is less than half of here)?

Weather wise, October to March is very like here.. cold and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Went there a few years ago for a week. Nice part of the world but the best way I could describe it was to say it was like Ireland in the 1970s as it was very quiet on a Sunday apart from pubs which are all aimed at English tourists. Very religious country too. They drive like crazy but buses are a great way to get out & see the place. There's loads of refugee camp near the airport too as its a gateway into Europe from Africa.

Everyone speaks English but the amount of paperwork you require for anything is crazy as the civil service is very slow. I did a bus tour of Malta for a day and found out more about the place than any guide book from the driver. The British used to practice their bombing on the coast during WWII. From October to March, alot of places closed down so its very quiet.

And when it rains there, it rains.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Had you no boat?

Wasn't sailing at the time.

Wasn't sailing at the time.

I'd say if you had an ould ribbeen there now you'd be laughing. Always within walking distance of the sea, you'd hardly need a car.

Lots of quad bikes on the road there too, I rented one for the day but wouldn't be mad on them yokes at all. The damn thing tried to murder me each time I went around a bend in the road cause it had no diff

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We went there a couple of summers ago for two weeks and loved it. People all very friendly. Best bus system anywhere, the bus website is seriously easy to use and figure out how to get from a to b.
    Everyone speaks English and never ever felt unsafe anywhere after dark. We were staying near Valletta which we loved.
    If I got a job offer there today my house would be up on Daft and Myhome already :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

hahaaaa think i will go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

zweton wrote: »
    hahaaaa think i will go for it.

Good for you :)

Supercell wrote: »
    We went there a couple of summers ago for two weeks and loved it. People all very friendly. Best bus system anywhere, the bus website is seriously easy to use and figure out how to get from a to b.
    Everyone speaks English and never ever felt unsafe anywhere after dark. We were staying near Valletta which we loved.
    If I got a job offer there today my house would be up on Daft and Myhome already :)

The bus system changed around 2012 and is now a bit chaotic to put it mildly

I also got accosted a few times on the street by blokes (usually refugees) wanting my details to meet up in broad daylight and felt quite unsafe.

That said they don't seem to have a drugs/begging issue at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The bus system changed around 2012 and is now a bit chaotic to put it mildly

I also got accosted a few times on the street by blokes (usually refugees) wanting my details to meet up in broad daylight and felt quite unsafe.

That said they don't seem to have a drugs/begging issue at all

The bus system has changed again this year. The private company went bust and the government have bought it back.

mloc123 wrote: »
    The bus system has changed again this year. The private company went bust and the government have bought it back.

Wow that's great, they were truly horrendous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Johnny Aldridge showed the Maltese that he hadn't lost his touch...

anyone else been :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I liked it. The people are friendly, they speak English very well, and the weather is fantastic, but Jesus Christ is it boring.

It's a very large retirement village. I was there for a week and got pretty bored by the end. There's only so much diving and sailing you can do, and the islands are so small that once you've seen a particular beach or rocky shore, you don't tend to want to return. I really don't think I could live there. Apparently, there's a very high rate of youth emigration.

On the plus side, it's very cheap. Public transport is farcically cheap, and reasonably efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Some seriously good looking women.

Some seriously good looking women.

Maltese?

• Advertisement

conorh91 wrote: »
    I liked it. The people are friendly, they speak English very well, and the weather is fantastic, but Jesus Christ is it boring.

It's a very large retirement village. I was there for a week and got pretty bored by the end. There's only so much diving and sailing you can do, and the islands are so small that once you've seen a particular beach or rocky shore, you don't tend to want to return. I really don't think I could live there. Apparently, there's a very high rate of youth emigration.

On the plus side, it's very cheap. Public transport is farcically cheap, and reasonably efficient.

hmmm may be doable for a year or two eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Maybe try living on Corsica instead of Malta? Not quite as small but it's supposed to be nice.

no job offer in croatia though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Was there 3 times back in the 90's, I here its more developed

It is a great place to visit,different from your average holiday resort.

You would need to live there for a while to çheck it out prior to
    emigrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Been twice in St Paul's Bay. First time in early 1970s then again about six years ago. Enjoyable both times ........ but maybe not if you are 18 - 25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A decent Catholic country like ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shmalentine

I went on holiday to Malta early on in the summer , it is hands down one of the most beautiful countries I have ever stepped foot in.

It was easy to get around and transport costs are so cheap. It makes me sick handing over €2.50 for the luas/bus in Dublin when I only had to pay 6 euro in total for every bus I took in Malta for the week. Travel costs in Ireland are completely extortionate in comparison to most European countries.

People were very friendly and it wasnt too densely populated I thought so the major cities weren't over crowded.

I'm obviously only speaking from a tourists perspective, setting up a life there is an entirely different story.

Driving and traffic is a bit manic there, glad we didnt end up renting a car in the end because theres no way my sister would have survived those roads.

Best of Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shmalentine

I went on holiday to Malta early on in the summer , it is hands down one of the most beautiful countries I have ever stepped foot in.

It was easy to get around and transport costs are so cheap. It makes me sick handing over €2.50 for the luas/bus in Dublin when I only had to pay 6 euro in total for every bus I took in Malta for the week. Travel costs in Ireland are completely extortionate in comparison to most European countries.

People were very friendly and it wasnt too densely populated I thought so the major cities weren't over crowded.

I'm obviously only speaking from a tourists perspective, setting up a life there is an entirely different story.

Driving and traffic is a bit manic there, glad we didnt end up renting a car because theres no way my sister would have survived those roads.

Best of Luck :)

• Advertisement

what part did ya stay in?

Advertisement