Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Lawrie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

abff wrote: »
    It wasn't misplaced clubs. He wasn't expecting to play and turned up for a meeting. Full story here - http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/peter-lawrie-motoring-despite-late-entry-and-new-clubs-355826.html

That's just bizarre

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

That's just bizarre

Very bizzare indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That's just bizarre

Well fair play to him shooting -2 with borrowed clubs - you takes yer chances. Hope he makes the cut now......I presume he has his own clubs now.....afternoon start today.

Uh oh.....opened up bogey par par triple.....not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

And pete has **** the bed

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    And pete has **** the bed

....and coughed up another triple on 8.....has had three birdies as well, but not his week.

Even after fighting back well, he won't make the cut.

He's on the invite list for next weeks Dunhill along with Paul Dunne and Gary Hurley.
    Himself and Dunne have also bagged an invitation to Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

He's on the invite list for next weeks Dunhill along with Paul Dunne and Gary Hurley.
    Himself and Dunne have also bagged an invitation to Portugal.

Its unreal the number of invites he has accumulated this year but unless he takes advantage of enough of them to scramble his card, you would have to fear for his chances of getting a similar opportunity in future.

First Up wrote: »
    Its unreal the number of invites he has accumulated this year but unless he takes advantage of enough of them to scramble his card, you would have to fear for his chances of getting a similar opportunity in future.

Worst case scenario he'll be in Cat 17 next year instead of Cat 20, in fact he should be ok for Cat 16. Those that get their card through tour school are Cat 15.

• Advertisement

Worst case scenario he'll be in Cat 17 next year instead of Cat 20, in fact he should be ok for Cat 16. Those that get their card through tour school are Cat 15.

Anything below Category 10 is a tough gig, unless you have the sort of inside track Lawrie enjoyed this year.

Down to 114th now.

Down to 114th now.

A couple more good chances to secure his card.

Good start today, -4 after 12 at St. Andrews which seems to be playing the easiest of the 3 today.

Good start today, -4 after 12 at St. Andrews which seems to be playing the easiest of the 3 today.

Er.....is he not playing Kingsbarns today?

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2015/tournamentid=2015076/leaderboard/index.html#L2Sd0H4JUAGP5Uac.97

vienne86 wrote: »

Yeah I got the course keys mixed up, so it is kingsbarn playing the easiest as expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Yeah I got the course keys mixed up, so it is kingsbarn playing the easiest as expected.

-5 through 15. I would imagine they are all pretty benign today compared to what they can be. Taking advantage of it anyway.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    -5 through 15. I would imagine they are all pretty benign today compared to what they can be. Taking advantage of it anyway.

And there he finished. A round of 67 leaves him in nice shape for the next two days.

Was looking a bit bleak for Peter earlier, at +2 for the day, but has clawed back to level par. This is big enough money event, so a good result could settle his card.

Another missed cut, it seems.

• Advertisement

Another missed cut, it seems.

Yes, same old story. Reminds me of the line used about Yasser Arafat - never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

So it is back to tour school for Peter. He certainly got plenty of chances to get his card back, so obviously just wasn't good enough. He came up one shot short in tour school last season, so he'd better get practicing.

Incrediby, Peter has a invite and is on the starting list for Hong Kong this week - last chance saloon - he's number 122 on the R2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Incrediby, Peter has a invite and is on the starting list for Hong Kong this week - last chance saloon - he's number 122 on the R2D.

In fairness, given the invites YTD, it would have been incredible if he didn't get one.

Himself and Phelan need a top 5. Phelan came 3rd last year! McGrane doesn't seem to be playing, well he wasn't on the list when I checked yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

He was well below the cutoff line late last week as a would-be entrant using the regular pecking order, he must have gotten that invite sorted in the past few days.

Last chance for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

PARlance wrote: »
    In fairness, given the invites YTD, it would have been incredible if he didn't get one.

I'd disagree with that, the recent arrivals to the professional ranks from the Walker Cup team would have a much bigger claim on sponsor invites, particularly as Peter has had heaps of chances thrown his way via invites this season and he's come up short every time.

Put another way - you're a tournament sponsor, you've one wild card left and on your desk/in your inbox you have begging letters from Paul Dunne and Peter Lawrie....

Funningly enough if they hadn't given the late invite to Lawrie and had gone to the categories it was himself was next anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Himself and Phelan need a top 5. Phelan came 3rd last year! McGrane doesn't seem to be playing, well he wasn't on the list when I checked yesterday.
    McGrane has retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

coylemj wrote: »
    I'd disagree with that, the recent arrivals to the professional ranks from the Walker Cup team would have a much bigger claim on sponsor invites, particularly as Peter has had heaps of chances thrown his way via invites this season and he's come up short every time.

Put another way - you're a tournament sponsor, you've one wild card left and on your desk/in your inbox you have begging letters from Paul Dunne and Peter Lawrie....

Peter has been on the European Tour Players Committee for some time. That carries a lot more sway as has been demonstrated all throughout the year. They weren't going to leave him stuck at this stage.

Paul Dunne isn't exactly the hottest thing around. We're all over him but I would say that sponsors outside of Ireland wouldn't be as excited. He isn't going to draw a crowd (just yet anyway). Neither would Peter.

Advertisement