Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter forced to believe in God

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I wouldn't say it's interesting, but it's no surprise to see some posters who are decrying people ganging up on an individual for having a dissenting opinion, those same posters then ganging up on one poster with a dissenting opinion!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Several posters disagreeing with a post is hardly "ganging up".

We're not a hive mind where we prepare one response to cover all our opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Dades wrote: »

I thought we sent all opinions to Dawkins and then he told us what we should do

The people who " disagreed" tended to ignore what has been said. I want an Indian takeaway but there's only a dominos nearby. Telling the person to buy an Indian takeaway is not of any use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What?
    I thought we all expressed the views of space pope?

SpacePope.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

The cartoons are out already ? I didn't think you'd give up that easy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

EunanMac wrote: »
    The cartoons are out already ? I didn't think you'd give up that easy

Give up?
    There's nothing to give up about, the law and constitution is on our side :D

People can argue against what the OP's child wants until the cows come home, it doesn't matter the OP has every right to not have their child indoctrinated.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Give up?
    There's nothing to give up about, the law and constitution is on our side :D

People can argue against what the OP's child wants until the cows come home, it doesn't matter the OP has every right to not have their child indoctrinated.

Of course they do, but the school has every right to be informed of the parents wishes in this regard, rather than letting them guess.

Of course they do, but the school has every right to be informed of the parents wishes in this regard, rather than letting them guess.

The parents wishes was to teach religion at the start. Do all the parents have to inform them or can they guess then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Several posters expressing their disagreement with one poster in rather snarky tones and being thanked for it by several posters is... well, we may disagree on what we would interpret as ganging up on someone, but I didn't want to use the word bullying as that would imply the behaviour was consistent, and because I'm all too aware that there isn't a hive mind, but a "group think" here, I think it's quite easy to silence dissenting opinion, which is in itself quite ironic given the subject in the OP where he is concerned that his daughter is being bullied by her classmates for having a dissenting opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I think its implied that you don't want your kids bullied by a staff member whatever school you send them to.

• Advertisement

The parents wishes was to teach religion at the start. Do all the parents have to inform them or can they guess then?

And when they change their minds and don't want the school teaching religious beliefs, they should inform the school immediately, rather than complain afterwards.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Several posters expressing their disagreement with one poster in rather snarky tones and being thanked for it by several posters is... well, we may disagree on what we would interpret as ganging up on someone, but I didn't want to use the word bullying as that would imply the behaviour was consistent, and because I'm all too aware that there isn't a hive mind, but a "group think" here, I think it's quite easy to silence dissenting opinion, which is in itself quite ironic given the subject in the OP where he is concerned that his daughter is being bullied by her classmates for having a dissenting opinion.

Where are the dissenting opinions? There are alternative views but most that I have seen are from failing to read the OP

And when they change their minds and don't want the school teaching religious beliefs, they should inform the school immediately, rather than complain afterwards.

Show me where the OP said their problem was with the teaching of religious beliefs.

RustyNut wrote: »
    I think its implied that you don't want your kids bullied by a staff member whatever school you send them to.

Exactly, and that issue also needs to be addressed, the teacher in question should be taken up for it, and removed from teaching.

Its the child that doesn't want to told there is a god when they don't believe in one, this only happened in the class when the child said they don't believe a god exists.

The child was told by the school that they must believe in god but the child doesn't want to lie by saying they do. Hence why they don't want to take part in religion.

Do you not understand that?

Exactly, and that issue also needs to be addressed, the teacher in question should be taken up for it, and removed from teaching.

Your kidding me right?

The teacher would basically have to physically beat up a student before they'd even consider that and even then its questionable if it would actually happen.

Seriously difficult to fire a permanent teacher from a school,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The people who " disagreed" tended to ignore what has been said. I want an Indian takeaway but there's only a dominos nearby. Telling the person to buy an Indian takeaway is not of any use.

Well, if I was a regular at an Indian takeaway, but then decided to go to Dominos because it's nearer, it would be unreasonable of me to complain to the staff in Dominos when I can't get poppadoms and an onion bhaji.

Its the child that doesn't want to told there is a god when they don't believe in one, this only happened in the class when the child said they don't believe a god exists.

The child was told by the school that they must believe in god but the child doesn't want to lie by saying they do. Hence why they don't want to take part in religion.

Do you not understand that?

Do you not understand that it is also a schools job to teach what they were led to believe was a Catholic child that God exists, as that is a central teaching of Catholicism ?

Any bullying regarding the teaching of any subject, should be addressed, but teaching what you were led to believe was a Catholic child, in a Catholic school, the belief that God exists, is not wrong.

again if you bothered to read the thread you'd see that its the child who said they don't believe in god, the school overreacted and threatened the child.

The OP has since contacted the school, problem solved.

The issue here is the school overreacting to what is/was a very simple issue because they assumed the child was being smart or trouble making, its not the op or the op's child.

Your kidding me right?

The teacher would basically have to physically beat up a student before they'd even consider that and even then its questionable if it would actually happen.

Seriously difficult to fire a permanent teacher from a school,

I don't care how difficult it is, no teacher who is a proven bully should ever be allowed to teach children.

• Advertisement

Well, if I was a regular at an Indian takeaway, but then decided to go to Dominos because it's nearer, it would be unreasonable of me to complain to the staff in Dominos when I can't get poppadoms and an onion bhaji.

Depends if the constitution give the person the right to popadoms and bjajis.

I don't care how difficult it is, no teacher who is a proven bully should ever be allowed to teach children.

Oh I agree,
    But what you want and the reality of the situation is very very different,

Its notoriously difficult for a teacher to be sacked,

again if you bothered to read the thread you'd see that its the child who said they don't believe in god, the school overreacted and threatened the child.

The OP has since contacted the school, problem solved.

The issue here is the school overreacting to what is/was a very simple issue because they assumed the child was being smart or trouble making, its not the op or the op's child.

How they went about it was wrong, but a Catholic school is obliged to teach what they were led to believed was a Catholic child, Catholic beliefs, and that includes a belief in God. If you don't want your child taught Catholic beliefs, in a Catholic school, the onus is on you to inform the school.

Oh I agree,
    But what you want and the reality of the situation is very very different,

Its notoriously difficult for a teacher to be sacked,

Two wrongs don't make a right. I would not be letting any teacher or school who bullied my child to continue teaching them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I would meet with the principal and teacher of the school and explain the situation. Surely schools are forced to adapt to families of different faiths. Muslim, Jewish etc. So surely they have to accomodate thoes who choose no faith.

I would meet with the principal and teacher of the school and explain the situation. Surely schools are forced to adapt to families of different faiths. Muslim, Jewish etc. So surely they have to accomodate thoes who choose no faith.

They do, but you have to inform them, rather then leave them to guess

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Where are the dissenting opinions? There are alternative views but most that I have seen are from failing to read the OP
    Agreed. If posts have been snarky it's been in response to posters who have posted obtusely.

To even mention the word bullying makes a mockery of the word. This is clearly a forum where certain ideas are shared by a majority. Genuine posts are met with genuine responses and posts that fall below that standard get back what they put in.

We've been led to believe the Child was bullied by the OP, so I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt and assumed she has been

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

They do, but you have to inform them, rather then leave them to guess

Yes thats why the meeting is important. Make sure all parties are on the same page. And come up with a solution to the problem. The school has to facilitate this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Norma_Desmond

This thread is a never ending loop of people not reading the thread at all and then telling the OP to move their child out of the Catholic school.

97% Christian schools in this country people; if there were enough other options, this thread wouldn't be here at all. Don't see how religion has any place in schools tbh.

Also, kids saying four prayers a day??!!??
    I thought things were moving forward and there was much more open thinking, kind of scared about the prospect of having kids now.
    Have a lot of respect for you OP, wasn't aware that the system was so parochial.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement