Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter forced to believe in God

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

EunanMac wrote: »
    So as soon as she announced her belief, why did you not ask her to be removed from being taught religion (a core principle of which is to believe in God) right away ?

Ah here..........I'm sorry, but I have to put you on ignore now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

So as soon as she announced her belief, why did you not ask her to be removed from being taught religion (a core principle of which is to believe in God) right away ?

What exactly is it you are trying to achieve? The person explain what and why she did things and interrogating her does what? Wait until she finally admits to something that allows you to place all the blame on her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

bajer101 wrote: »
    If the email doesn't have the desired effect, then I will. But for now, an email should suffice, and as Cabaal has stated, it is a written record which is preferable. I do expect further communication, especially regarding what arrangements will be put in place for my daughter while the rest of the class are being taught Religion. I would like a written record of all this too.

For both your sakes, I would strongly advise you not to sit back and expect anything. I would seriously advise you to visit the school and speak to them regularly, and show them you take a regular, active, concerned interest, and do more than swap emails. That's what I'd do if it were my daughter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What exactly is it you are trying to achieve? The person explain what and why she did things and interrogating her does what? Wait until she finally admits to something that allows you to place all the blame on her?

Thats certainly how its come across to me anyway, while all the time refusing to actually read up on what has taken place by actually reading the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I've heard an official with ET's national office explain that a lot of kids moving from ET primaries to ordinary secondaries can struggle a bit initially on the discipline front.

Coming from a school that encourages self-confidence, assertiveness and tolerance for difference to one with a more disciplinarian, rigid outlook can be a shock to the system. Often their assertiveness can be mis-interpretted for defiance or cheekiness and it takes them a while to adjust to the new regime.

I wonder, OP, if there was an element of this at play in your daughters case? She expressed an opinion that in her ET would be accepted or indeed encouraged and used as the basis for discussion but got slapped down by a teacher not used to that level of free thought?

It was still a lousy way to handle the situation and I'm not sure what your daughter can do about it but something to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Have you any knowledge of the history of the irish education system and the role the catholic church played in educating our children,against all the odds and the oppression we were under. And no, I don,t need to be told about the sex abusive clergy- bear in mind that 90% of child sex abuse is carried out by the childs relations or family "friends"

Let's do a bit of number crunching here. There are approximately 4,588,[Long Wave Radio, Atlantic]252 (2011 census, figure here) people living in the Republic, 3,672 of which are clegry (again same census, figure here, my remembered figure of roughly 3,700 from helping my mother with her FYP a few years back was good). Thus we've 3,672/4,588,252=0.08% of the population according to you carrying out roughly 10% of child sexual molestation, that makes the individual clergyperson roughly 10%/0.08%=125 times more likely (on a statistical basis) than your average everyday person to commit a child molestation act.

That is not a very edifying figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

For both your sakes, I would strongly advise you not to sit back and expect anything. I would seriously advise you to visit the school and speak to them regularly, and show them you take a regular, active, concerned interest, and do more than swap emails. That's what I'd do if it were my daughter.
    i don't think anyone is going to be taking any advice from someone who is refusing to actually read through the thread and insists on making inaccurate, incorrect or just plain inappropriate comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I've heard an official with ET's national office explain that a lot of kids moving from ET primaries to ordinary secondaries can struggle a bit initially on the discipline front.

Coming from a school that encourages self-confidence, assertiveness and tolerance for difference to one with a more disciplinarian, rigid outlook can be a shock to the system. Often their assertiveness can be mis-interpretted for defiance or cheekiness and it takes them a while to adjust to the new regime.

I wonder, OP, if there was an element of this at play in your daughters case? She expressed an opinion that in her ET would be accepted or indeed encouraged and used for as the basis for discussion but got slapped down by a teacher not used to that level of free thought?

It was still a lousy way to handle the situation and I'm not sure what your daughter can do about it but something to consider.

There could be an element of that alright. I'll just have to see how it plays out now that I have informed them that she is opting out of Religion. At least now, that is one less "new" thing for her to worry about and hopefully she can adapt to the other changes.

hinault wrote: »
    Even look at others countries such as England, who consider themselves to be "secular", and where there is a large supply of "non-ethos" schools, the demand for places at Catholic-ethos schools is increasing.

Wrong, as with all your posts hinault. Since 1984 every school in England is forced to start the day with a christian prayer (even the muslim ones!), one of the more batty things Maggie the Witch introduced, so there are no non-religious schools in England.

beauf wrote: »
    Why do these schools have better results?

Selective admissions policies allow them to pick students almost exclusively from higher economic brackets. Said students will get extra out of school grinds, be more likely to have extensive access to books and other materials to aid their study, and have parent more able to send them off on extra-curricular activities which will aid their learning.

It is a well known fact that when you correct for said advantages conferred outside of school time, private schools in England & Wales perform worse scholastically than the bog standard comprehensive. If comprehensives were given enough funding and control was returned to local education boards (results and general performance were and are much better under council ran comps) then the comprehensives would actually perform better than private schools even before adjusting for wealth differentials.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    i don't think anyone is going to be taking any advice from someone who is refusing to actually read through the thread and insists on making inaccurate, incorrect or just plain inappropriate comments.

I've read through the thread, merely swapping emails with the school in any serious situation, and expecting it to sort itself out without visiting the school or actively talking face to face with the principal and teachers is not good advice. They can take it or leave it, it doesn't affect my daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I've read through the thread, merely swapping emails with the school in such a serious situation, and expecting it to sort itself out without ever visiting the school or actively talking face to face with the principal and teachers does not cut it. If you're advising to the contrary, that is bad advice.

I don't think the OP really has said they were doing that, they are creating a paper trail which is very important in this situation. I would expect and the OP has pretty much said the same that they will follow up with a visit to the school.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I don't think the OP really has said they were doing that, they are creating a paper trail which is very important in this situation. I would expect and the OP has pretty much said the same that they will follow up with a visit to the school.

"Creating a paper trail" and swapping emails, does not avoid the prime necessity to visit the school and talk to the principal and teachers concerning your child's immediate requirements and welfare. Schools and any bureaucracies can play around for years with emails and letters. If your child was being bullied and harassed at school, would you write an email or get down there regularly first and foremost ?, then write all the emails you like ? How can she verify anything the school tells her from a keyboard ? If you were a teacher who would you respect the most, a parent that takes an active involvement in visiting the school and talking to the teachers and principal, or one that writes an email ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Had some experience with this lately. My daughter is 7. 2nd Class. Met the new teacher last week on about the 4th day of the new school year.

I told her I didn't want my daughter participating in religion. I told her she was not to be brought to the local church during the year (with first communion they'll be making a fair few trips there). I told her I did not want her to get the handouts that the local parish priest likes to give the kids when he drops by.

She was very nice about it. Put up a little struggle by trying to convince me that the religious education this year hadn't really got any 'god' stuff in it. I've read the Alive 'O' book so said no, I want her to skip religion.

Anyway, she will not be participating in religion and instead will do school work during the 2.5 hours per week of religious education and also during the trips to the church she will stay behind with the other 3 kids who's parents wanted the same. Also, she can remain seated during each of the 4 school prayers they do each day. This was my experience and I hope it works out well.

An email to the school is great but I think to work out the finer points (what happens during religion or on class visits to the church. especially around communion time.) you'll need to talk face to face once you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've read through the thread, merely swapping emails with the school in any serious situation, and expecting it to sort itself out without visiting the school or actively talking face to face with the principal and teachers is not good advice. They can take it or leave it, it doesn't affect my daughter.

and (as you'd know if you'd read the thread properly) the OP has already explained the situation multiple times regarding him not being able to visit personally up to now and how he is proceeding.

it seems very much like you're beginning to realise that everything else you've said has been shot down in flames, so you're clinging on to this one tiny last detail where there might still be room for criticism of the OP in the vain hope of some kind of 'win' so your participation in the thread (and I use the term loosely) isn't a complete failure on every level.

sorry to break it to you, but it's really not getting you anywhere.

In other words, you met them beforehand and let them know if you wanted religion taught to her or not, rather then leave them guessing,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

In other words, you met them beforehand and let them know if you wanted religion taught to her or not, rather then leave them guessing,

Not sure if this was to me but if it was...

No. She is in 2nd class. Been there since Junior Infants. The teacher was not aware at all that my daughter would not be taking part in the first communion.

My daughter is not baptised and we never spoke to any teachers about it until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Do you really believe that this is a substantive issue? Really? I'd have more concern about the teachers and head teachers subsequent threats and reaction to a seven year old. All in all, it does not appear as if they acted in a very christian manner at all. Perhaps we should forgive them?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I sent a letter in with both my daughters (6 and 7) http://www.teachdontpreach.ie/opting-out/letter-for-primary-schools/

The school last year put up a little struggle, stating the exact same, that th ebook only teach 'morality'.. read the alive o book for 1st class this year and just couldn't do it... parts in it about talking to god when you feel especially blue after christmas (no talk to ME if you are 7 years old and feel blue thank you)... I am having a face to face meeting next week... met one of the teachers in the street who said previously parents had driven to the school (it is rural) and brought their kids away for the duration of the RE... eh, no I won't be doing that.. short of sending in books about evolution and dinosaurs, I feel the girls reading their library books will be just fine for the ridiculous amount of time spent in national schools on ideology.

• Advertisement

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Do you really believe that this is a substantive issue? Really? I'd have more concern about the teachers and head teachers subsequent threats and reaction to a seven year old. All in all, it does not appear as if they acted in a very christian manner at all. Perhaps we should forgive them?

Or send then an email, rather than get down to the school to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Perhaps it's addressed in the thread, but I wonder if the OP spoke to the principal and/or teacher at all before his child joined the school concerning his wishes for his child's religious education.

Bottom line - talk to the principal and teacher.

EDIT: Read more of the thread and realised that the OP seems more interested in grandstanding online rather than making an appointment with the teacher and principal to discuss his daughter's education.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i dont understand the fuss being made today about this in schools.
    over 30 years ago a church of ireland girl was in school with us. though a large class, 90 kids over three classes, she was the only one.
    she didnt have to do religion nor go to the church etc when we did.
    i have no memory of anyone making any reference to it. it just was.

speaking to the principal before class begins is the best way to deal with the issue, if a parent chooses a religious school for their children for whatever reason.

having a kid speak up in class to denounce god etc can only get peoples backs up.

better to go about it calmly and properly, and in a christian way:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

vibe666 wrote: »
    you really do need to make even a tiny bit of effort to read threads before making ignorant, uninformed comments in them.

Yes I did read the thread. He's giving out because the daughter is being taught to believe in God. He should not have sent her to a catholic school if he is an athiest. Poor child it's her I feel sorry for. Being singled out because at home your saying believe what you want we are atheists and at school being taught to believe in God. Can you not see the situation you have put her in???

are you unaware that nearly ALL schools are catholic.

can you not see the situation the state has put her in by allowing a singular religious organisation to have direct links with 95% of schools? Schools that are funded by all of us atheist taxpayers money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

He took her out of an educate together school because of logistical reasons. Now if he feels that strongly about the damage that singling her out in school for not believing in God could do then he should let her go bank to the school she was in. You cannot always get exactly what you want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i dont understand the fuss being made today about this in schools.
    over 30 years ago a church of ireland girl was in school with us. though a large class, 90 kids over three classes, she was the only one.
    she didnt have to do religion nor go to the church etc when we did.
    i have no memory of anyone making any reference to it. it just was.

Bottom line is...schools vary ALOT
    - Some schools will use non catholic belief as a reason to reject students, end of
    - Some schools will openly reject students if they are pregnant as its against ethos (happened in Tipp in a secondary school), most others are perfectly fine and understanding

Its all really down to the staff in the school, some are more understanding then others. Mileage can vary massively school to school because of this.

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

lukesmom wrote: »
    Yes I did read the thread. He's giving out because the daughter is being taught to believe in God. He should not have sent her to a catholic school if he is an athiest. Poor child it's her I feel sorry for. Being singled out because at home your saying believe what you want we are atheists and at school being taught to believe in God. Can you not see the situation you have put her in???

No. The problem is how the school handled the situation when their daughter stated she didn't believe in God. This could easily have happened if the poster was Christian but the daughter had decided she didn't believe in God.

No matter what the religious outlook of the parent(s) the child should not have been treated in the manner she was.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 StopYa

your childs happiness should be more important than money cabal, send her back to educate together school

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement