Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamepad/Keyboard/Mouse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nesf wrote: »
    Are you still trying to argue that you're not a Razer fanboy?? :D

I am deathadder fanboy, not Razor lol. I actually had other razer mouse before and it was ****. :D
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I am deathadder fanboy, not Razor lol. I actually had other razer mouse before and it was ****. :D
    D

Pfft, you're just splitting hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nesf wrote: »
    Pfft, you're just splitting hairs.

And you can't just admit that deathadder is awesome. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

And you can't just admit that deathadder is awesome. ;)

I just refuse to drink the Kool-Aid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone ever had any issues using multiple joypads on the pc? Was going to pickup Fifa 15 this week, and use two joypads (same type) but i've never had two joypads connected before. Shouldn't cause any problems, right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I don't believe it's a problem, was thinking about doing the exact same thing myself for the exact same reason :D

I'm tempted by one of the new XBone controllers, they're a nice improvement on the 360 one, but I dunno if I wanna drop that much cash on something that'll only get very occasional use :)

Yeah, i saw those myself and was tempted. They are very nice, but i don't fancy spending €50+ on it. Think i'll just pickup one of the Afterglow ones you recommended on the 1st page. I might actually need two, as the joypad i have needs some tinkering to get working with certain games. I need to run a 3rd party program just for Dark Souls to recognise it.

Do the XOne joypads require anything to run, or are they just plug and play?

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, i saw those myself and was tempted. They are very nice, but i don't fancy spending €50+ on it. Think i'll just pickup one of the Afterglow ones you recommended on the 1st page. I might actually need two, as the joypad i have needs some tinkering to get working with certain games. I need to run a 3rd party program just for Dark Souls to recognise it.

Do the XOne joypads require anything to run, or are they just plug and play?

I was asking a friend who was daft enough to buy an XBone (he's a fighting games guy, so we can forgive him) and he says that once you're plugged in with the micro USB charging cable, Windows 8.1 should just pick it up, but the drivers are available for it on Win 7 (Quick Google will find it for you I'm sure).

There's a fully wired SKU of the controller coming in the next few months I believe, so I'd probably wait till then anyway, but when you can get 2 of those Afterglow's for the price of one XBone controller, it's difficult to justify :)

God damn it...have to buy two pads if i want to do this now, as my Xeox just won't work with Fifa. Spent the last 3 hours trying to do it, and nothing works. Ugh, stupid 3rd party ****ty pads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Shiminay wrote: »
    There's a fully wired SKU of the controller coming in the next few months I believe, so I'd probably wait till then anyway, but when you can get 2 of those Afterglow's for the price of one XBone controller, it's difficult to justify :)

The wired SKU is just a regular XBone controller with an included micro USB cable. There's no need to wait.

• Advertisement

Oh nice one, I didn't realise that was the case. I thought they might be rolling out a smaller one without the battery pack like they did with the 360.

I'll probably pickup the XBone controller today, as i'll probably end up buying the XBone anyway once the Halo collection comes out. Getting Fifa on the pc now isn't quite as cheap as i'd planned :( (though the game did only cost me €31)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Multiple Pads work fine on PC, used have issues in XP but Windows 7/8 seems to have fixed them.

Used to have 2 x Ps3 and 2 Ps2 controllers all in at the same time.

Dumped the PS3s and now use 2 Xbox and 2 PS2 works as a USB controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Any difference between One and 360 controllers? I have a 360 controller and I assume they'll work on the same games the One controllers work on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I preferred the 360 controller. Felt like there was more grip to it, especially on the analogue sticks.

I bought the XBone pad yesterday, and it's a good pad. I probably prefer the 360 one, but it may just be that i'm more used to it. Either way, have both now, so at least i don't have to worry about configuring games with x360ce anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I'm in the market for a new keyboard and have a budget of €80. Although I would be able to go a bit more if there was something really good to be had.

Anyone got some recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm in the market for a new keyboard and have a budget of €80. Although I would be able to go a bit more if there was something really good to be had.

Anyone got some recommendations?

CM Storm user here. Tenkeyless version.

After using Logitech G series membrane keyboards for years branched out to try a mechanical keyboard and can safely say I'll never go back.

Paid €60 from scan.co.uk at the time, and they get rave reviews from users and reviewers alike. Noticed that the board I have doesn't seem available anymore and the prices are much higher now.

Razer do a popular brand of mechanical keyboard, but it's on the expensive side, and they arn't regarded as a great keyboard and have durability issues.

Logitechs entry to the mechanical keyboard market has been pretty good, I think its the 700 series or something, is very popular and a few friends have it and think its great.

I'd say the first choice you need to make is if you want to go mechanical (if not already) or stick with membrane.

If you go mechanical, then you need to start looking into the switches. This is basically the switch that sits behind the key. Different colours are different performance. Some are light, some strong, some loud, some silenced. Everyone will swear by different things, personally think its one of those things you'll get used to as the years go by and you'll get a preference.

I currently use red switches. They are good and responsive, but are pretty loud and "clacky"

If you are sticking/choosing with membrane, in reality simply doesn't matter what keyboard you buy. It's a universal standard, and really all your paying for is designs/looks. I wouldn't pay more then €20 for a membrane keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

TheDoc wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay more then €20 for a membrane keyboard.

agreed but I do find one with backlit keys is very handy for night gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

TheDoc wrote: »
    CM Storm user here. Tenkeyless version.

After using Logitech G series membrane keyboards for years branched out to try a mechanical keyboard and can safely say I'll never go back.

Paid €60 from scan.co.uk at the time, and they get rave reviews from users and reviewers alike. Noticed that the board I have doesn't seem available anymore and the prices are much higher now.

Razer do a popular brand of mechanical keyboard, but it's on the expensive side, and they arn't regarded as a great keyboard and have durability issues.

Logitechs entry to the mechanical keyboard market has been pretty good, I think its the 700 series or something, is very popular and a few friends have it and think its great.

I'd say the first choice you need to make is if you want to go mechanical (if not already) or stick with membrane.

If you go mechanical, then you need to start looking into the switches. This is basically the switch that sits behind the key. Different colours are different performance. Some are light, some strong, some loud, some silenced. Everyone will swear by different things, personally think its one of those things you'll get used to as the years go by and you'll get a preference.

I currently use red switches. They are good and responsive, but are pretty loud and "clacky"

If you are sticking/choosing with membrane, in reality simply doesn't matter what keyboard you buy. It's a universal standard, and really all your paying for is designs/looks. I wouldn't pay more then €20 for a membrane keyboard.

Wow. Thanks for the informative reply.

I was thinking about going mechanical but I was worried that they might be a bit too loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Everyone in the office seems to think so but I don't care. I had to use a membrane the other day, it was awful.

A general rule of thumb is like:

Blue Switches - Brown - Black - Red
    Most Typing
    Most Gaming

I have Browns and I use my keyboard for work during the day and gaming at night.

CMStrom Quickfire TK Tenkeyless

I have the same as Genghiz there, the Quickfire TK and it comes in and out of work with me. Brown switches, drew a bit of comment in the office, but not a lot and everyone's used to it (and I lightened my touch cause I didn't need to be as heavy handed as a membrane keyboard).

I was never one for spending much on a keyboard, so i got the Corsair K30. Was around €50 in Maplins (needed it asap), and has worked perfectly for me since i got it.

I'm the same as the lads, CM Storm Qckfire TK

Pretty loud if I'm honest, I'm using red keys. I did a lot of research into the keys but when it turned out this board only came with red at the time, said ****it and went with it. Id say if I ever replace I'll look at black or red again.

You can do modifications to mechanical boards to "dampen" the noise. The joy of mechanical keyboards is by their design. Not only can you replace keycaps for custom ones ( I have some custom ones) you can dampen the switch to make it quieter.

I'd say if I brought a mechnical into work I'd be hounded at, the noise I make on membrane is severe enough. I've had my eye on a poker board for a whiel. They are expensive, but small, funky looking, and seemingly a joy for typing.

Interestingly since moving tenkeyless, I've totally stopped using the numpad, even in work where I have one.

Here is some of the custom keycaps I'm rocking

IMG_20140928_194436.jpg

20130119_012821.jpg

20130205_191925.jpg

20121231_185508.jpg

20121231_185422.jpg

Obviously not all them on at once. Actually ahve so much more, like a little collector thing for me. I get in on group buys over on reddit frequently.

Here is the board as it came, it also came with a number mof keycaps to replace WSAD with arrow keys.

20121204_191829.jpg

By the way for anyone who doesn't know

https://www.massdrop.com/feed/category/mechanical+keyboards

Really good site that does group buys on things to get them for cheaper. Mechanical keyboards is an active community there, got in on some keycap orders and it's pretty decent.

Every now and again a serious bargain comes up, missed out on a ducky TK while abck and was freaked, the opters got it for 50% of RRP

For anyone that doesnt follow the above link

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cm-storm-cherry-mx-switch-tester

thats a really good price, I've seen them before going for 30-40 euro. Basically has the various switches so you can test them out for noise and feel, to see what you want for your next keyboard.

Ordered one there myself, €15 is a steal for a REALLY useful tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Ah feck. I literally just bought a four key sampler off Amazon for €22, inc. delivery on Monday. Boo-urns! :o

Dair76 wrote: »
    Ah feck. I literally just bought a four key sampler off Amazon for €22, inc. delivery on Monday. Boo-urns! :o

Goes to show. Massdrop is worth checking in every few days. Obviously the big savings are on full blown keyboards, but every so often there is little things like this.

They do some REALLY high quality, nice keycap sets as well and you make big savings there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I wouldn't mind, but I've bought stuff from Massdrop before. :o

Anyway, my set from Amazon arrived today. Was expecting them to be much noisier than they are, but I think that's more to do with how loud my current keyboard is (in relative terms), even though it's non-mechanical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey!
    Just looking for any recommendations on what control pad to get for wireless connectivity to a laptop for playing fifa/pro evo/nba/street fighter?

I prefer the PS3 controller over xbox and see it's possible to connect the ps3 pads to windows so I might do this. In a youtube video I saw it said you need a bluetooth dongle, is it possible to do if the laptop has built in bluetooth and not usb I wonder?

I'm thinking to get used ones from amazon marketplace, probably the dual shock. Does anyone know if this is a good choice or would I be better with an alternative solution?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Advertisement