Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamepad/Keyboard/Mouse

Options
  • 02-09-2014 4:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Currently looking for each a mix of the above. PC is gaming only. Considering getting wired xbox 360 one for gamepad but dont know what to use for keyboard and mouse. My current one is crap. And are mouse mats needed these days? Budget is that I'm a student, so dont break the bank

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Like all tools, you can spend a lot of money for great performance and you can find some bargains if you shop around.

I have a wired 360 style controller called an Afterglow that I got in Argos for half the price of a Microsoft one. It's officially licenced rather than being a cheapo Chinese eBay rip-off, so the quality is solid.

My Mouse and Keyboard are expensive so I may not be able to help you there. I have a Logitech G700 (€70ish) and a CM Storm Quickfire TK (€90ish). There've been a couple of threads about it already this year, I'm sure a quick search will dig them up. I got my girlfriend a Gigabyte gaming mouse for about €30 I think and she swears by it. Keyboards - it's generally accepted that mechanical keyboards are best, but they're not cheap. However, it's something you'll be using every day for the next 10 years (hopefully!) so in terms of the lifespan, it's not mental money. Mine comes in and out of work with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I have a Filco Majestouch with Cherry Brown switches, not the cheapest but it's a joy to both work and game on. Mechanical switch-based keyboards are definitely the way to go and you can get ones for considerably cheaper than the Filco which should do the job just fine.

Mouse wise I use a Razer Deathadder both at home and in work. If it died I'd immediately get another one, best thing I can really say about it.

Mouse mat wise I use a SteelSeries QcK. It's cheap and cheerful and does the job quite nicely.

As Shiminay said, you definitely get what you pay for but there's still some reasonably priced gear to be had that'll last. Also don't forget to shop around as you can get some really good deals on gear when you know what you're looking for.

Yea, I forgot to add, I have a QcK Mousemat at home and one of the earlier Razer Goliathus in work. It's definitely worth having some sort of "for purpose" surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've been doing without a mouse mat for years but recently got a logitech gaming one and it does make some difference.

I have an xbox controller but I hate it more and more each time I use it. Some games suit it but anything to do with shooting and the mouse trumps all other controllers.

Good versions of these devices can be expensive, although I don't think you lose out an awful lot with the budget stuff. I see high end keyboards and mice as the icing on the cake of a high end build. They're something that will follow you from build to build.

It's worth considering getting one or the other if budgets are tight. Get yourself a good quality mouse first then down the road get a good quality keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've been doing without a mouse mat for years but recently got a logitech gaming one and it does make some difference.

I have an xbox controller but I hate it more and more each time I use it. Some games suit it but anything to do with shooting and the mouse trumps all other controllers.

Good versions of these devices can be expensive, although I don't think you lose out an awful lot with the budget stuff. I see high end keyboards and mice as the icing on the cake of a high end build. They're something that will follow you from build to build.

It's worth considering getting one or the other if budgets are tight. Get yourself a good quality mouse first then down the road get a good quality keyboard.

I cannot get to grips with using a mouse and keyboard for shooters though! Been playing with controllers on consoles since I was 4 and 15 years later it's hard to adapt!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

9bred4 wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch mad stuff. I've had two products break down on me, for the price their quality control is brutal.

I stick with logitech stuff, I've gaming mice from them that are a decade old.

Yera, that MadCatz stuff's build quality has plummeted in the last few years.

I don't know how or why anyone would put themselves at so major a disadvantage with FPS by using a peasant's tool. There is no way you can beat a mouse and keyboard with a controller when you're playing on PC, you will be slaughtered every time unless your opponent only has one hand. The longer you spend putting off making the switch, the harder it gets. I remember nearly 20 years ago when Mouse Aiming still wasn't the standard and we used keys. It was as bad as console controllers (maybe even worse cause you couldn't adjust the sensitivity). When one of my regular Quake LAN group made the switch to Mouse+Keyboard, he battered us into oblivion for a week until we all started to catch up after making the switch.

9bred4 wrote: »
    I cannot get to grips with using a mouse and keyboard for shooters though! Been playing with controllers on consoles since I was 4 and 15 years later it's hard to adapt!!
    Try and start with some slower paced games to get used to it. Once you're more comfortable with it, move onto the faster paced, more competitive games. I've had a few friends make the transition over the last while and the thing that hindered them the most was trying to jump straight into the likes of CoD and BF3 and getting absolutely beaten around the place while they tried to adjust.

Don't worry though, you'll get the hang of it sooner than you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the Ballista Shogun Bros MK-1 is supposed be a great high end mouse but at a mid price point

I have one of those Steel Series mouse mats but I had to put it on top of an older thicker one as they are very thin and I like my comfort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gamepad wise xbox 360 controller is cheap and cheerful solution. On top of that a lot of games use it as default, so its just plug and play.
    There is only one mouse in the market. It's Deathadder or nothing!!! Best mouse ever, and I owned more expensive ones too.

Keyboard - no idea. I am still using old dell keyboard lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ignore the Razer fanboys, years ago the Deathadder may have been a good choice but in recent times Razer being on the box has added 20-30 quid to the price without any justification other than it being black with a green trim. :P

nesf wrote: »
    Ignore the Razer fanboys, years ago the Deathadder may have been a good choice but in recent times Razer being on the box has added 20-30 quid to the price without any justification other than it being black with a green trim. :P
    Pfft, sounds like a Logitech fanboy to me.

All joking aside, I paid £38.59 for my Deathadder Respawn back in 2011 and then £42.31 for my Deathadder Black in 2012 from Scan and Amazon respectively. They now seem to be going for £61.40/£62.53 for the Green 2013 edition. :o

gizmo wrote: »
    Pfft, sounds like a Logitech fanboy to me.

All joking aside, I paid £38.59 for my Deathadder Respawn back in 2011 and then £42.31 for my Deathadder Black in 2012 from Scan and Amazon respectively. They now seem to be going for £61.40/£62.53 for the Green 2013 edition. :o

Logitech!!!! Wash that mouth out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Logitech!!!! Wash that mouth out.

Can I ask what you'd recommend so? Not being smart, genuinely interested as I'm in the market for a mouse around 40 quid. A friend recommended a sharkoon drakonia, if anyone else has an opinion on it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've the Logitech G700 for my mouse, which is brilliant. Also picked up the Cosair K30 when i bought it, as it was cheap enough and very solid.

Can I ask what you'd recommend so? Not being smart, genuinely interested as I'm in the market for a mouse around 40 quid. A friend recommended a sharkoon drakonia, if anyone else has an opinion on it?

I wouldn't have much experience on mice around that price range in recent years. I've heard good things about the Gigabyte and Shogun Bros stuff mentioned by others here though.

I'm using a Roccat Kone Pure these days. It's a nice mouse but quite a bit more than 40 quid. I don't rate any of the Logitech mice I've used recently very highly, though I still have fond memories of the Logitech MX-518 optical mouse from many years ago that the G series evolved from and somehow made worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I like the look of the Logitech G500 or G502 and I've read good things about the Mad Catz R.A.T. 9 but I've never tried them since there are no left-handed models. I've been using a Razer Deathadder for a number of years now. Still works great. I chose it as it was the only made for left-handed mouse I could find but I've been very happy with it. Before that I was using ambidextrous mouses and they weren't as good. I think the newer Deathadders have different sensors and a higher DPI than my one.

Can I ask what you'd recommend so?
    Logitech. :pac:

Most mice in this price range would be pretty decent, just look for features you'd like and find some reviews. I wouldn't go buying any brand new models or brands. A well established model that's on its third or more revision should have had any kinks worked out and be pretty reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks for the mousemat recommendation. I sit back on my sofa using a wireless keyboard and mouse with the cushion beside me as the mousemat. Getting a new sofa so figured will get an actual mousemat as well to use on it.

• Advertisement

Feck off! :D

By no means I would be a Razor fanboy, I only like Deathadder and nothing else from Razor line. It's just way to overpriced. Deathadder did got expensive lately, I agree, but it's still a fantastic mouse!

Feck off! :D

By no means I would be a Razor fanboy, I only like Deathadder and nothing else from Razor line. It's just way to overpriced. Deathadder did got expensive lately, I agree, but it's still a fantastic mouse!

Yeah, the current stuff would be good quality, just knock £20-£30 off the RRP to bring it in line. Right now they're selling you a good £40 mouse for £60 with none of the features you'd expect at a £60 price point.

Yeah, the current stuff would be good quality, just knock £20-£30 off the RRP to bring it in line. Right now they're selling you a good £40 mouse for £60 with none of the features you'd expect at a £60 price point.

Well, I don't know what features you would want on it. It's perfection out of box. Has enough buttons and it does perfect what it should. I had more expensive one with changeable weights and stupid dpi, led colour change and all that jazz. It was **** at doing one simple thing though - being a mouse.
    Even so, they are expensive now, but if my Deathadder bricks up, I will get another one. So far my one is over 3 years old and it is going strong.

Well, I don't know what features you would want on it. It's perfection out of box. Has enough buttons and it does perfect what it should. I had more expensive one with changeable weights and stupid dpi, led colour change and all that jazz. It was **** at doing one simple thing though - being a mouse.
    Even so, they are expensive now, but if my Deathadder bricks up, I will get another one. So far my one is over 3 years old and it is going strong.

It's more that if you want a mouse that just has the basics and does them well you don't need to spend £60. Or even close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

On my last Mx 518....Bought a few of them on ebay few years ago and this one nearly dead. Perfect mouse for me.

KB dammmit cant remember and its not written on it, has 4 marks like a claw on it. Was mispriced in PC World so picked it up.

It's more that if you want a mouse that just has the basics and does them well you don't need to spend £60. Or even close to that.

But what you want out of your mouse, then just being an actual good mouse? A lot of **** or high dpi is not needed or gimmick, that just makes your ePenis bigger, but means feck all in real life.
    Even if it's 60£ mouse, it does everything that needs to. Yes, you can get cheaper ones, but I won't gamble anymore as everytime I try to get cheap one, it goes in to my "man drawer" and I end up buying new mouse again. I better pay that 60£ and know that I am getting perfection it self!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

here are some of the solutions to couch gaming out there
    http://kotaku.com/an-elegant-keyboard-solution-for-couch-based-pc-gaming-1589246630

Skerries wrote: »
    here are some of the solutions to couch gaming out there
    http://kotaku.com/an-elegant-keyboard-solution-for-couch-based-pc-gaming-1589246630

Price: 5 billion dollars!!!!

But what you want out of your mouse, then just being an actual good mouse? A lot of **** or high dpi is not needed or gimmick, that just makes your ePenis bigger, but means feck all in real life.
    Even if it's 60£ mouse, it does everything that needs to. Yes, you can get cheaper ones, but I won't gamble anymore as everytime I try to get cheap one, it goes in to my "man drawer" and I end up buying new mouse again. I better pay that 60£ and know that I am getting perfection it self!

Are you still trying to argue that you're not a Razer fanboy?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

MX 518 still,ive tried everything else and for me atleast nothing comes close.
    KB is a cyborg V7, not bog standard not amazing either but it looks well with tonnes of lighting options.

Advertisement