Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone following the Ashya King story - link to his brothers latest youtube post

Options
  • 31-08-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Is anyone else following this story I cant find a thread on it on boards if there is one could you let me know where, thanks.

Here is the full video his dad made before Ashya was taken away by police :( It looks totally different to how it has been portrayed on sky news etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ETQn9ZPwk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Watched the video earlier. What way is sky news covering it?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5littleangels

Heres a video he uploaded last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBTrZ7ULf3A

I watched the fathers video in sky news last night. All I saw was love for a son. He was being cared for to the same level as he was in hospital despite the news reports that his battery pack would have lost it's charge, his family had fully charged pack and food.

They are not criminals, just a loving family in a situation that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't mean to sound hard or cruel but I found that, for a UK story involving British people in France then Spain, it had too much coverage in Ireland. I know of a similar incident years back in Germany ( a relative worked in the hospital concerned) and while it got extensive be coverage there, it was not mentioned here. Why is a UK case any different? I've probably expressed this all wrong but I feel for the family and the child and wish them well. I just don't need to pry into their lives like the media does. Its very voyeuristic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I just don't need to pry into their lives like the media does.

Then don't. Simples.

• Advertisement

Then don't. Simples.

But Sareem just explained that it is getting alot of coverage on Irish news so they don't really have a choice in the matter ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Then don't. Simples.

It's kind of hard when it appears on every new s programme and at my age (70+) I listen to the radio most of the day. Therefore a minimum of once an hour for 8 hours plus discussions during current affairs programmes. This attitude of "don't listen to the news nor read a paper" is a cheap shot. Cover these stories if they must but beware of overkill on stories - particularly those that reflect personal stories. Had it been in this country and the public could help in tracing them then I could see the need for blanket coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I don't mean to sound hard or cruel but I found that, for a UK story involving British people in France then Spain, it had too much coverage in Ireland. I know of a similar incident years back in Germany ( a relative worked in the hospital concerned) and while it got extensive be coverage there, it was not mentioned here. Why is a UK case any different? I've probably expressed this all wrong but I feel for the family and the child and wish them well. I just don't need to pry into their lives like the media does. Its very voyeuristic.

"The media" is a business. They will report anything that will get attention. There's no more to it so don't overthink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Very sad story.

I've read about this story across a few different news sites but I have yet to read on what grounds the parents were arrested. Has anyone seen that mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Very sad story and I think an an indication of how you are at the mercy of the medical profession when push comes to shove.
    I'm sure there's more to this story but I have heard of situations with other families where they didn't agree with treatment for serious illness believing that the consequences of treatment outweigh the chance of a good outcome. Unless you have easy access to an alternative treatment, ie such as that mentioned (proton beam) your hands are tied really.
    To be threatened with not seeing their son, if that is true, extremely bad form and imo this should be looked into. Who would risk that??
    I can think of similar situations that I've been in with medics much less dramatic, and no life at risk thankfully, but unless you are in the know, or have someone advocating on your behalf it can be a very intimidating and lonely place.
    Someone said to me once you live with the decisions you make for your children not the medics or the nurses giving out the advice etc. You rely on everyone wanting the best possible outcome but sometimes there is more then one way to fix things.
    I know nothing about the therapies/treatments involved in this case, and please God will never have to, but I'm just saying it highlights an issue that arises probably more often than we realise on a less dramatic scale.

• Advertisement

It is just so sad. They say they were arrested on the grounds of neglect :( I can see just by watching the videos how much they love their little boy. He has stage 4 brain cancer so he really has a huge chance of not surviving at all despite any treatment offered its just beyond comprehension that in what may be his final days / weeks / months he will not be with his parents as they have been denied the right to be with him it makes me feel sick just thinking about how terrible their situation is right now. Hopefully the authorities sort everything out soon and the family is reunited and allowed / offered access to a medical team they can trust and discuss treatment options openly with.

I can see both sides pretty equally here - I get that the parents want to go with a treatment they believe will work. The hospital have to do what they can do. The boy has to be treated for an illness and the parents are interfering with that, which is illegal. Looking stuff up on the Internet is not a substitute for proper medical care as far as most people, and these doctors are concerned. They've taken him out of hospital and away from care that he needs, so technically yeah that is reckless. And the police should be involved.

latest youtube video from Ashya Kings brother posted just a few moments ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=vYSKyY12LEg&app=desktop

http://www.diariosur.es/axarquia/201408/31/parece-locura-pero-tiene-20140831151927.html

this is a from a spanish page a video of his parents handcuffed being led into a police station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

So Medical professionals, who have studied for years to get to their position, have recommended a course of medical treatment.

An expectedly distressed and emotional father hits google and is then surprised when medical professionals do not take on board 'advice' found on forums etc.

I can just imagine the people who are arguing that this man, whose only qualification on this important subject is being the father, would be up in arms if this child dies due to NHS negligence in letting an unqualified father overtake his sons medical treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

So Medical professionals, who have studied for years to get to their position, have recommended a course of medical treatment.

An expectedly distressed and emotional father hits google and is then surprised when medical professionals do not take on board 'advice' found on forums etc.

I can just imagine the people who are arguing that this man, whose only qualification on this important subject is being the father, would be up in arms if this child dies due to NHS negligence in letting an unqualified father overtake his sons medical treatment.

He believes there is a better treatment available - the NHS are currently building a centre to provide the same treatment

his child can't wait that long so ....... bring the child to where the treatment is available

same thing goes on all day every day

Both proton therapy and traditional radiation treat malignancies the same way: by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells. The largest difference between the two is that proton therapy releases the bulk of its energy at one specific, concentrated area — radiation goes exactly where it’s supposed to go. Because of this, physicians are able to act more aggressively, increasing the radiation dosage while limiting damage to healthy tissue and organs

©2013 Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute, an affiliate of Hampton University

1. Devices@FDA. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Retrieved from http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/SCRIPTs/cdrh/devicesatfda/index.cfm?db=pmn&id=K100766 on May 21, 2013.

2. Proton Therapy: Changing the Way You Treat Cancer. IBA.
    http://www.iba-protontherapy.com/sites/all/themes/ibapt2012/media/pdf/IBA-ProtonTherapy-brochure.pdf on May 21, 2013.

3. Mayahara H, Murakami M, Kagawa K, et al. Acute morbidity of proton therapy for prostate cancer: the Hyogo Ion Beam Medical Center experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007;69(2):434-43.

4. Zietman AL, DeSilvio ML, Slater JD, et al. Comparison of conventional-dose vs high-dose conformal radiation therapy in clinically localized adenocarcinoma of the prostate [published correction appears in JAMA. 2008;299(8):898-899]. JAMA. 2005;294(10):1233-9.

5. Vargas C, Fryer A, Mahajan C, et al. Dose-volume comparison of proton therapy and intensity-modulated radiotherapy for prostate cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008;70(3):744-51.

6. Fontenot J et al. Risk of Secondary Malignant Neoplasms From Proton Therapy and Intensity-Modulated X-Ray Therapy for Early-Stage Prostate Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009;74(2):616-22.

7. Mendenhall N. Early Outcomes From Three Prospective Trials of Image-Guided Proton Therapy for Prostate Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012;82(1):213-21.

8. Henderson R et al. Urinary functional outcomes and toxicity five years after proton therapy for low- and intermediate-risk prostate cancer: results of two prospective trials. Acta Oncol. 2013 Apr;52(3):463-9.

9. Steneker M, Lomax A, Schneider U. Intensity modulated photon and proton therapy for the treatment of head and neck tumors. Radiother Oncol. 2006;80(2):263-7.

10. Vernimmen FJ, Harris JK, Wilson JA, Melvill R, Smit BJ, Slabbert JP. Stereotactic proton beam therapy of skull base meningiomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001;49(1):99-105.

11. Lee CT, Bilton SD, Famiglietti RM, et al. Treatment planning with protons for pediatric retinoblastoma, medulloblastoma, and pelvic sarcoma: how do protons compare with other
    conformal techniques? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005;63(2):362-72.

12. Zhang X et al. Intensity-Modulated Proton Therapy Reduces Normal Tissue Doses Compared With Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy or Passive Scattering Proton Therapy and Enables Individualized Radical Radiotherapy for Extensive Stage IIIB Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: a Virtual Clinical Study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;77(2):357-66.

13. Mizumoto M et al. Clinical Results of Proton-Beam Therapy for Locoregionally Advanced Esophageal Cancer. Strahlentherapie und Onkologie. 2010;186(9):482-8.

14. Miralbell R, Lomax A, Cella L, Scheider U. Potential reduction of the incidence of radiation-induced second cancers by using proton beams in the treatment of pediatric tumors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002;54(3):824-9.

15. Wilson VC, McDonough J, Tochner Z. Proton beam irradiation in pediatric oncology: an overview. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2005 Aug;27(8):444-8.

16. Silander H, Pellettieri L, Enblad P, et al. Fractionated, stereotactic proton beam treatment of cerebral arteriovenous malformations. Acta Neurol Scand. 2004;109(2):85-90.

17. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Prostate Cancer. Version 2.2013. Retrieved from http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#site on May 21, 2013.

18. American Cancer Society. Brain and Spinal Cord Tumors in Adults. Retrieved from http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003088-pdf.pdf on May 21, 2013.

19. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Version 2.2013. Retrieved from http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#site on May 21, 2013.

20. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Bone Cancer. Version 2.2013. Retrieved from http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#site on May 21, 2013.

21. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Version 3.2013. Retrieved from http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#site on May 21, 2013.

22. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: HodgkinLymphoma. Version 1.2013. Retrieved from http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#site on May 21, 2013.

23. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Version 1.2013. Retrieved from http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#site on May 21, 2013.

24. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Occult Primary (Cancer of Unknown Primary [CUP]). Version 1.2013. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#site on May 21, 2013.

25. Jarosek S, Elliott S, Virnig BA. Proton beam radiotherapy in the U.S. Medicare population: growth in use between 2006 and 2009: Data Points # 10. 2012 May 7. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK97147/ on May 22, 2013.

26. Chung CS, Keating N, Yock T, Tarbell N. Comparative analysis of second malignancy risk in patients treated with proton therapy versus conventional photon therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008;72(1):S8.

27. Macready N. The promise of protons in cancer therapy. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012;104(9):648-9.

28. Sheets N et al. Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy, Proton Therapy, or Conformal Radiation Therapy and Morbidity and Disease Control in Localized Prostate Cancer. JAMA. 2012;307(15):1611-20.

29. De Ruysscher D, Chang JY. Clinical Controversies: proton therapy for thoracic tumors. Semin Radiat Oncol. 2013;23(2):115-9.

30. Suit H et al. Should positive phase III clinical trial data be required before proton beam therapy is more widely adopted? No. Radiother Oncol. 2008 Feb;86(2):148-53.

31. The National Association for Proton Therapy: Proton Therapy Fact Sheet. Retrieved from http://www.proton-therapy.org/facts.htm on August 31, 2013.

32. The National Cancer Institute: Prostate Cancer. Retrieved from http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/prostate on September 1, 2013.

33. Mayo Clinic Proton Beam Therapy Program: About Proton Therapy. Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/proton-beam-therapy/about-proton-therapy.html on September 17, 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The UK terrifies me with its strong belief in the state's right to micro-manage the lives of citizens. At the end of the day it should be the individual's call, not the state's.

I remember a case last year of a foreign woman having a depression episode due to not ta meds so they forced her to have a C-section and adopted her baby in the UK, robbing it of its nationality and family. I remember another case of an elderly woman being "abducted" from hospital by her family because she was clearly near the end of her life and wanted to spend it at home instead of in a clinical environment. None of these things should be able to be overridden by the "best interests" brigade - my choices about my life may not always be the best, but they'll be mine and not somebody else's. :(

gctest50 wrote: »
    He believes there is a better treatment available

In this particular case, what does it matter if he 'believes' there is better treatment available? How is he qualified to make that judgement.

Also does that justify removing the child from the hospital, with access to round the clock care, to household with no medical professionals present?
    his child can't wait that long so ....... bring the child to where the treatment is
    Bring the child to his house? Please explain how that is an improvement? I could understand the correct procedures being out in place to organise a safe transfer. But this 'wait in the house' nonsense is clearly not safe and ultimately not in the best interests of the child. An emotionally vulnerable father should not be encouraged due to misplaced sympathy.

He believes there is a better treatment available - the NHS are currently building a centre to provide the same treatment

his child can't wait that long so ....... bring the child to where the treatment is available

same thing goes on all day every day

Except the father himself even says that it's not just that they won't or can't, but most importantly that they say it won't help. This is, presumably, the reason it is what it is.

The UK terrifies me with its strong belief in the state's right to micro-manage the lives of citizens. At the end of the day it should be the individual's call, not the state's.

The individual is a child, so how can a child be expected to "make the call"?

Also it's not micro managing the lives of all citizens. It's stepping in to ensure the welfare of the child from parents who have consciously removed him from a safe hospital environment. The child is not the 'property' of the father and cannot be put at harm because of the wishes if a potentially emotionally unstable and medically unqualified parent.

• Advertisement

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Except the father himself even says that it's not just that they won't or can't, but most importantly that they say it won't help. This is, presumably, the reason it is what it is.

medulloblastoma ?

Reducing toxicity from craniospinal irradiation: using proton beams to treat medulloblastoma in young children.

PURPOSE: We report on a radiation treatment technique that has reduced the dose to critical normal structures in children with medulloblastoma.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15701271

medulloblastoma ?

You do realise he said that they said that.... and not me?

The individual is a child, so how can a child be expected to "make the call"?

Also it's not micro managing the lives of all citizens. It's stepping in to ensure the welfare of the child from parents who have consciously removed him from a safe hospital environment. The child is not the 'property' of the father and cannot be put at harm because of the wishes if a potentially emotionally unstable and medically unqualified parent.

like this lot ? t5 l5 its all much the same sure
    where it was viewed by the consultant neurosurgeon, who realised the implant had been inserted at the wrong part of the spine.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/surgeon-botched-cancer-sufferer-back-operation-1-3516203

What I don't understand is how was a European arrest warrant issued??
    These people didn't kidnap their own child, they are his guardians, they took him out of hospital.
    The hospital were not legal guardians of the child, parents were within their rights.

I don't understand how quickly an arrest warrant was issued in this case when you hear of numerous parents taking kids out of their jurisdiction, against the wishes of the parent with legal custody but yet it takes years and years to try and get the kids back.

Even if someone committed a serious offence, an european arrest warrant is never issued this quick to bring people back!

bubblypop wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how was a European arrest warrant issued??
    These people didn't kidnap their own child, they are his guardians, they took him out of hospital.
    The hospital were not legal guardians of the child, parents were within their rights.

I don't understand how quickly an arrest warrant was issued in this case when you hear of numerous parents taking kids out of their jurisdiction, against the wishes of the parent with legal custody but yet it takes years and years to try and get the kids back.

Even if someone committed a serious offence, an european arrest warrant is never issued this quick to bring people back!

Probably something to do with the dying child.

And when you take your dying child out of treatment against the advice of the doctors, being the legal guardian means diddly squat.

like this lot ? t5 l5 its all much the same sure

Yes because highlighting one of the few cases that are subject to difficulties, mistakes or mishaps suddenly overtakes the vast majority of procedures that are simple, secure and happen without a problem.
    I heard a plane crashed once, therefore I never get on planes style of logic.

Also are you suggesting that if you became very ill, that you wouldn't seek help from medical professionals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

An expectedly distressed and emotional father

He seemed quite calm and reasonable to me.
    hits google and is then surprised when medical professionals do not take on board 'advice' found on forums etc.

You have no idea of the level of knowledge the Father had attained nor do you know who he might have consulted on the issue.

I'd imagine people can become quite knowledgeable about a medical issue if they're deeply affected by it and determined enough to do the research.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Probably something to do with the dying child.

And when you take your dying child out of treatment against the advice of the doctors, being the legal guardian means diddly squat.

Well that's not entirely true, you can be sure if it happened here that the HSE would have to go to the courts first.
    I think something like this has happened here before.
    I'm all for the welfare of children, I just think this was done amazingly quickly.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    He seemed quite calm and reasonable to me.
    Does a father need to be screaming, angry or loud to be feeling emotional? Does it need to be transparently displayed?
    Given the circumstances, the complications and the internet telling him there are better procedures elsewhere. Can it not be assumed the father is naturally emotional and possibly distressed?

Also in a video where he is trying to make a case for himself. A calm appearance could be adapted to help the case he is trying to make.
    You have no idea of the level of knowledge the Father had attained nor do you know who he might have consulted on the issue.

I'd imagine people can become quite knowledgeable about a medical issue if they're deeply affected by it and determined enough to do the research.

In the video the father mentioned 'searching the internet' and 'looking at discussion forums'. If he was in anyway further qualified than that surely he would have mentioned it. Especially considering the video was published to put forward the impression he knows what he's doing. There was no better platform or opportunity for him to highlight and declare his qualifications in this subject.

Would you be willing to place the life of a child at the hands of a man who MAY have researched enough? It seems like an incredibly long stretch to me.

In this case, I imagine, had the child not been presented to the hospital there would have been limited actions available to the authorities. Due to the fact the child was removed from the hospital, the hospital has a duty if care to the child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Also in a video where he is trying to make a case for himself. A calm appearance could be adapted to help the case he is trying to make.

It's a pity the authorities and media didn't take a 'calm' approach, instead of instantly deeming him to be a scumbag kidnapper intent on ending the life of his kid.

Advertisement