Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish UN Soldiers help to rescue Filipino Peacekeepers who are Under Fire

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

I hope the fundamentalists are following this.
    They'll be too busy scratching their heads to bother anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jonathan13

I kinda guessed.. I do the other stuff, the real stuff.

I've been overseas a number of times and have seen plenty of action, never once did I consider myself "ready dead" (or even expendable).

good..very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I hope the fundamentalists are following this.
    They'll be too busy scratching their heads to bother anyone.

...they're probably worried about Irish suicide bombers by now.

Gatling wrote: »
    In reality it's not like that I don't take offence chap ,

Actually it reminds me of one of the private Blackburn scenes in black hawk down

don't think so for me, but all respect to your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nodin wrote: »
    ...they're probably worried about Irish suicide bombers by now.

Wait until they hear about our Guinness farts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Actually it reminds me of one of the private Blackburn scenes in black hawk down

Yes, or possibly a scene from band of brothers....

Keyboard warriors me's thinks....

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Yes, or possibly a scene from band of brothers....

Keyboard warriors me's thinks....

?? who you?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Imgagine recruitment poster's

Your all going to die,

join the infantry and die in style

Your all going to die,

reminds me of uncle sams recruitment poster pointing at you as if he owned you already. the one with big hat

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Your all going to die,

Men, you're lucky men.

Soon, you'll all be fighting for your planet.

Many of you will be dying for your planet.

A few of you will be put through a fine mesh screen for your planet.

They will be the luckiest of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I was born under a USSR Nuclear Missile, I was born under a US Nuclear Missile. I saw in the late sixties how civilians were treated by both sides.

That, my friend, would have been an attractive proposition.

Just a thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Already dead? **** that. There's no reason for Irish troops to just write themselves off.

Irish troops are better trained than the forces they're facing at the minute, they've proved countless times over the years that they won't back down from people whether it be Israeli's or Hezbollah in the Leb or a few thousand Albanians in Kosovo... They fought to the very last bullet at Jadotville against an overwhelming force, without suffering a single casualty but we sure made them pay the price for attacking us.

If anything, the likes of the Al Nusra Front should be thanking their lucky stars if they make it out of an engagement with the Irish alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

John Mongo wrote: »
    Already dead? **** that. There's no reason for Irish troops to just write themselves off.

Irish troops are better trained than the forces they're facing at the minute, they've proved countless times over the years that they won't back down from people whether it be Israeli's or Hezbollah in the Leb or a few thousand Albanians in Kosovo... They fought to the very last bullet at Jadotville against an overwhelming force, without suffering a single casualty but we sure made them pay the price for attacking us.

If anything, the likes of the Al Nusra Front should be thanking their lucky stars if they make it out of an engagement with the Irish alive.

I hope the lads are doing a better job minding their FOB out in the sandpit & keeping an eye on the oil tankers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

I hope the lads are doing a better job minding their FOB out in the sandpit & keeping an eye on the oil tankers...

" Hey Sarge, what did ya do this morning? "
    " Oh, nothing much. Just before breakfast we took a spin to tickle the jihad boys with the .5"

" Hey Swiftjustice ,what did ya do this morning?"
    " Oh Nothing much, fell out of bed and tried to stir shoite on the internet."

" Hey Sarge, what ya do last year?"
    "Oh, nothing much, did a tour in Sierra Leone, got in a scrap down Goz Beida way in Chad, ..."

"Hey Swiftjustice, what ya do last year?"
    "Nothing much, posted shoite on the internet...."

"Hey Sarge what ya going to do next year?"
    "Oh, I don't know, couple spots looking interesting out west Africa but theres a couple of spots in Eastern Europe asking for th Irish..."

" Hey Swiftjustice, what ya going to do next year?...."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I'd disagree, we usually get a liaison officer to talk to. For any reason, troops may not have access to communications to home, be that logistics, security or alert situations.

I can tell you from personal experience that the civilians won't know the full extent of any operation until they hear it from those personally involved when they are back home on leave.

I could trade a few war stories with you, maybe another thread.

I basically agree with you, I should have clarified it as anything you see in the media is bs. Unless you hear it from those who were involved you won't know the truth. The amount of bs flying around after the mowag was bit by the mine in Syria was crazy. When you actually hear what happened from those who were there it's less sensational to what you hear in the media.

And I've heard the war stories in the mess, don't worry :P

Advertisement