Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish UN Soldiers help to rescue Filipino Peacekeepers who are Under Fire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

One particular report was "hyped", so what?
    Does that somehow make the fundamentalists less dangerous or their arms less lethal?

"If I did x... " " If WE did y...." Go on then, tell us what you HAVE done.Then we can decide whether you are worth listening to.

" Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap"

As an aside I am (pleasantly) surprised the action was given any attention by the media. Dozens of engagements over the years were either ignored or not reported at all. Tbh, that was probably a lot easier on the families at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

At last?
    Could you do me a favour and look up the Siege of Jadoville?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jadotville

em, that happened over fifty years ago. I'm probably wrong on this, but I thought the Irish surrendered at Jadotville?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

em, that happened over fifty years ago. I'm probably wrong on this, but I thought the Irish surrendered at Jadotville?

158 against 4-5000 and they held out for 6 days. They only surrendered when they ran out of ammunition. Bit hard to fight without ammunition.

Imagine Rourkes Drift but with the zulus being better armed than the the british. And the zulus with the element of suprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

EunanMac wrote: »
    Good to see Israel helping the Irish troops

Certainly beats them murdering nearly 600 children in Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Vandango wrote: »

Or damaging the propellor of an Irish ship destined for Gaza as part of an aid flotilla

• Advertisement

It did happen fifty years ago.
    That was the WHOLE point of my post. Go back and read slowly what I was answering and you might understand the context.

The Irish at Jadoville fought a full scale battle for 4 days, 3 nights. They fought to their last bullet. They left over 300 dead mercenaries, Gendarmie, and tribesmen dead on the field. There were no Irish killed. The enemy had artillery, air support and numbered aprx 3,000. A surrender was then negotiated when ammo, food and even water ran out.

A force of Ghurkhas, Swedes and Irish could not break through the enemy to relieve the besieged Irish.

The enemy officer, an ex French Foreign Legion officer, boasted he would have Cmdt Quinlan's head on a stick before the day was done. Quinlan despatched a patrol to gather intelligence and guess who they brought back as a prisoner?

One last thing. The amount of disrespect here towards the professionals who fought at Jadoville was countered by the Mercenaries reception for Cmdt Quinlan - they stood to attention in respect to his ability as soldier and leader.

You know the film Zulu? This was the same odds but the company in defense were the ones that were poorly armed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Vandango wrote: »

Irish troops are not in favour by any side out there, make no mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

They exchanged fire with the rebels by the sounds of it when they arrived at the Filipinos position. This obviously helped relive the pressure on the Filipinos and give them breathing room. The irish provided security to them on extraction.

It's not the first nor will it be the last time irish troops have been involved in firefights overseas. Every mission has had it's dangers hence why professional soldiers are deployed to these areas.

You rarely hear stories of contacts troops have been in overseas, and any report you do hear is usually incredibly sensationalised by media outlets, which is ridiculous when you think of what the families of the soldiers deployed be thinking when reading these reports.

You can be 100% sure every soldier has told their families, "unless you hear it from us directly, it's bullsh/t"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

They exchanged fire with the rebels by the sounds of it "

Your link to this please.

So far what I've read does not support an engagement situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Red Nissan wrote: »

Did one of the Irish lads pull some young one out there? Tell us more.

• Advertisement

You can be 100% sure every soldier has told their families, "unless you hear it from us directly, it's bullsh/t"

I'd disagree, we usually get a liaison officer to talk to. For any reason, troops may not have access to communications to home, be that logistics, security or alert situations.

I can tell you from personal experience that the civilians won't know the full extent of any operation until they hear it from those personally involved when they are back home on leave.

I could trade a few war stories with you, maybe another thread.

" He said Irish troops in armoured vehicles exchanged fire with rebels on Saturday as they rescued Filipino troops from one of the besieged border posts. "
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/defence-minister-golan-risk-levels-not-acceptable-640810.html"

"The brief fire-fight took place at 9:50 local time this morning on the Syrian-Israeli border where Irish soldier have been patrolling since September as part of a UN force. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-troops-forced-to-return-fire-in-syria-29793607.html#sthash.MIpWWIub.dpuf

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-troops-forced-to-return-fire-in-syria-29793607.html

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/1.613451

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d5f_1409483726

" He said Irish troops in armoured vehicles exchanged fire with rebels on Saturday as they rescued Filipino troops from one of the besieged border posts. "

Grand, I'll have to accept that then. That had been withdrawn but your link is today's date. Thanks.

EDIT: Having read a few of those links they have not actually updated critical roles and the Irish and Indian Troops are recognized as leading the rescue mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jonathan13

allroad wrote: »
    The link you provided allows access to other Filipino reports on the incident.
    The reference story appears to be based on the Mirror report alone, which seems to differ from Filipino accounts.

The Filipinos do not see themselves as helpless victims in this incident, nor should they, from almost all accounts. The QRF obviously did it's job, as you would expect, but I think some of the language used in Irish reports has annoyed some Filipino observers.

Imagine if the situation was reversed and Irish troops had refused to hand over their weapons, held off the enemy for 7 hours and effected an escape with the aid of UN colleagues. Who would we regard as heroes?

This is not to take away from our own troops, who carried out their job with their usual professionalism and reliability, but the Filipinos deserve better than to be treated as helpless hostages in the way the Mirror article implies.

the usual media credibility hyping the situation. There's only one thing, them all troops are already heroes. Being a soldier is like you consider yourself already dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

jonathan13 wrote: »
    Being a soldier is like you consider yourself already dead.

Where did you get that from ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

the usual media credibility hyping the situation. There's only one thing, them all troops are already heroes. Being a soldier is like you consider yourself already dead.

What?.

What?.

I'm thinking he's a call of duty player

Damn I think I've spent 30 years in a different bloody army!!.

/Hoping I'm still paid this Wednesday

Damn I think I've spent 30 years in a different bloody army!!.

/Hoping I'm still paid this Wednesday

How dare you expect to be paid

Bloody conscripts

Gatling wrote: »

Or an air soft marine :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just a small thing, the MOWAG Piranha, whilst armoured, is not bullet proof.

You talking to me

Say hello to my little bb spraying friend

Where did you get that from ???

that's the way soldiers should think to have a proper perspective of every battle..its kinda acceptance that anytime anywhere something could happen and they would know how to deal with it, sorry if its a bit offending to you but this is just the way i see it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

EunanMac wrote: »
    From RTE news :

It will be interesting to see how much help Hamas and their allies give to the Irish troops.

Hamas is no where near that area but Hezbollah will help. They have been fighting these groups since the war broke out. They are on Assads side.

hello fans and i hope there are no stalker fans

i do airsoft and at the moment there are no open application for space marineðŸ˜

i came here to have a good ol discuss

Some Samurai thing more likely.....

Being a soldier is like you are already dead.

As a young volunteer there was noting I wanted more than getting the opportunity to expunge my training and weapons in conflict.

I'd have gone anywhere and done anything and I'd have shot anybody that I was told to, or otherwise.

One accepts one's dispensability, one has to, one has to want to, otherwise one just cannot perform.

However, most who feel this way today are mercenaries, being in the Irish armed forces is thought of more as a career as in any other civil service job ~ after a few years one does put aside the John Wayne hat and settles down.

Not the word you're looking for.

Why are you taking the piss, as a matter of interest?

hello fans and i hope there are no stalker fans

i do airsoft and at the moment there are no open application for space marineðŸ˜

i came here to have a good ol discuss

I kinda guessed.. I do the other stuff, the real stuff.

I've been overseas a number of times and have seen plenty of action, never once did I consider myself "ready dead" (or even expendable).

Nodin wrote: »
    Some Samurai thing more likely.....

now anime

• Advertisement

that's the way soldiers should think to have a proper perspective of every battle..its kinda acceptance that anytime anywhere something could happen and they would know how to deal with it, sorry if its a bit offending to you but this is just the way i see it

In reality it's not like that I don't take offence chap ,

Actually it reminds me of one of the private Blackburn scenes in black hawk down

Advertisement