Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Low Carb

Options
  • 28-08-2014 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Meat and veg.

Veg and meat.

Salad with veg and meats.

Eggs and meat.

Rinse and repeat for ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

quiet a few recipe blogs out there. google them.
    like theclothesmakethegirl-dot-com/recipes-index/

Also free kindle books on Amazon search for paleo and order by price low-high.

* I can't post links. replace -dot- with a '.'

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭leanbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

FYI chickpeas are really high in carbohydrates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭leanbh

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

leanbh wrote: »
    Lentils are low cost low carb and high in protein. You can eat very well and cheaply on a low carb diet. In fact it can be cheaper than standard diet!
    Porridge for breakfast is way cheaper than processed cereal!
    I went low carb about 3 years ago and my weight dropped and stayed off. More importantly my energy levels rose dramatically!! No more 3 o'clock slump.
    Be aware that when you reduce sugars first you might have withdrawal symptoms! Eg getting irritable , tired , headaches.
    This shouldn't last for longer than a few days but it can be difficult.
    Don't have a book but check out any low gi diet books it's the same thing.
    Also try chickpeas cheap and great low carb food. Good luck!

Porridge is high carb.

Chickpeas s *have* carbs, but they are also a good source of protein, fiber and nutrients. Few foods provide only one macronutrient and fit into neat Low carb prescribed categories. If you are trying to limit carbs, concentrate on limiting refined ones like white flour and white sugar (and the nutrient-stripped products made from them.) Unrefined, complex carbs like whole grains, fruits, vegetable and legumes like chickpeas are good for you and are your body's preferred fuel.

This is total bull. Few foods fit low carb? Meat, fish, eggs, dairy, green veg etc.

Fat is the the body's preferred fuel not carbohydrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Bruno26 wrote: »
    This is total bull. Few foods fit low carb? Meat, fish, eggs, dairy, green veg etc.

Fat is the the body's preferred fuel not carbohydrate.

To be fair, a low carb (<50g/day) diet is quite restrictive. It's fine if you like eating meat/eggs/salad all the time but the list of good low carb foods is not very large (example).
    I'd like to see you continue beyond the etc in your response to see how how far you can list. Don't think it would be that much (and I would love to be proved wrong as I like being in ketosis but find it too difficult to remain there).

As to the comment about the body's preferred fuel source - if you are a state of ketosis, you're body does prefer (look to) fat first, but for normal diets, it is primarily glycogen (i.e. carbs).

MaceFace wrote: »
    To be fair, a low carb (<50g/day) diet is quite restrictive. It's fine if you like eating meat/eggs/salad all the time but the list of good low carb foods is not very large (example).
    I'd like to see you continue beyond the etc in your response to see how how far you can list. Don't think it would be that much (and I would love to be proved wrong as I like being in ketosis but find it too difficult to remain there).

As to the comment about the body's preferred fuel source - if you are a state of ketosis, you're body does prefer (look to) fat first, but for normal diets, it is primarily glycogen (i.e. carbs).

It's not restrictive at all. 100s of options of different types of meals with meat, fish, spices, eggs, dairy, veg, nuts. Cooking is the key. What's a normal diet?

• Advertisement

It's not restrictive at all. 100s of options of different types of meals with meat, fish, spices, eggs, dairy, veg, nuts. Cooking is the key. What's a normal diet?

So you have just repeated the same food stuffs as before but added spices and nuts.

No potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, cereal, fruit, anything with sugar.
    All fine if you want to live that way but it is hard going out. Very difficult to go out for food. Even getting a lunch from a shop on any town.

So you have just repeated the same food stuffs as before but added spices and nuts.

No potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, cereal, fruit, anything with sugar.
    All fine if you want to live that way but it is hard going out. Very difficult to go out for food. Even getting a lunch from a shop on any town.

You obviously can't / don't cook if you think that's restrictive. Order steak and veg. Make your own lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You obviously can't / don't cook if you think that's restrictive. Order steak and veg. Make your own lunch.

To be fair, you don't claim to go anywhere near as low as 50g carbs.

RHJ wrote: »
    Hello everyone hope all is going well :D

I have decided I would like to try a low carb life style to both improve my health and lose a little weight.

I have a few questions I hope you can answer

1. Is a low carb diet expensive would someone on social welfare be able to manage the food bill every week?

2. I am not much of a cook so I would like to get a good recipe book with clear and simple recipes here are two I have come across but I am unsure which would suit me best?

The Big Book of Low-Carb Recipes: 365 Fast and Fabulous Dishes for Every Low-Carb Lifestyle

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1844831388/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

The Low-Carb Gourmet

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Low-Carb-Gourmet-Karen-Barnaby/dp/1405087935/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

If you have an iPad a book called real meal revolution by Tim Noakes is fantastic. It hasn't been published here yet. Other books I'd recommend are why we get fat, wheat belly and grain brain. Reading these will help you stick with it. I've two cookbooks I use- ballymaloe cookery course and Leon.

To be fair, you don't claim to go anywhere near as low as 50g carbs.

I'd consider under 150 g to be low carb.

I'd consider under 150 g to be low carb.

I get that.

Big difference between 150 and 50 though.

I'd go below below 150 without even trying.

50 is different.

Not impossible or anything but not as easy as you seem to suggest it is when you comment that someone isn't able to cook if they think it's hard.

If it was that easy, you'd be doing it yourself, no?

I get that.

Big difference between 150 and 50 though.

I'd go below below 150 without even trying.

50 is different.

Not impossible or anything but not as easy as you seem to suggest it is when you comment that someone isn't able to cook if they think it's hard.

If it was that easy, you'd be doing it yourself, no?

Someone else mentioned 50 g and ketosis. I was just pointing out that it's quite easy to eat low carb (under 150g) as there are loads of options. If you cook there are 100s of different dishes / meals that can be cooked.

Someone else mentioned 50 g and ketosis. I was just pointing out that it's quite easy to eat low carb (under 150g) as there are loads of options. If you cook there are 100s of different dishes / meals that can be cooked.

No. They said <50g was restrictive. You said it wasn't if you can cook and said there are 100s of recipes.

If you meant <150g then you might be clearer because it certainly doesn't read like that.

No. They said <50g was restrictive. You said it wasn't if you can cook and said there are 100s of recipes.

If you meant <150g then you might be clearer because it certainly doesn't read like that.

As I said my idea of low carb is different to them. Either way 50 g isn't restrictive either as there are 100s of options for meals. My initial response was to someone who said there were limited choices for low carb.

Funny. I cook lunch and dinner every day and when on low carb also cook a fry for breakfast. Don't be to quick to make assumptions when you have zero idea. Make yourself look foolish.

See you go out to almost any restaurant and almost every meal involves potatoes, rice, pasta or bread.
    And you say it's not restrictive.

You didn't prepare a packed lunch and you go to any shop and you look for a bunch of cooked meat and done cheese. No fruit, no sandwiches. Those are the staples of what shops provide for lunch. Maybe a salad if your lucky.

Do you even understand the meaning of the word?

• Advertisement

As I said my idea of low carb is different to them. Either way 50 g isn't restrictive either as there are 100s of options for meals. My initial response was to someone who said there were limited choices for low carb.

Your direct response was to someone who said <50g was restrictive. You said it wasn't.

Funny. I cook lunch and dinner every day and when on low carb also cook a fry for breakfast. Don't be to quick to make assumptions when you have zero idea. Make yourself look foolish.

See you go out to almost any restaurant and almost every meal involves potatoes, rice, pasta or bread.

You didn't prepare a packed lunch and you go to any shop and you look for a bunch of cooked meat and done cheese. No fruit, no sandwiches. Those are the staples of what shops provide for lunch. Maybe a salad if your lucky.

Do you even understand the meaning of the word?

Foolish is thinking its restrictive. If you cook as much as you say I find it hard to believe how you find it restrictive. When you are ordering you can say please leave those foods out and give me extra veg! Buying lunch out every day is laziness. If you want to be low carb just cook it yourself. It's not restrictive if you are prepared and if you have to eat out just make good decisions.

Foolish is thinking its restrictive. If you cook as much as you say I find it hard to believe how you find it restrictive. When you are ordering you can say please leave those foods out and give me extra veg! Buying lunch out every day is laziness. If you want to be low carb just cook it yourself. It's not restrictive if you are prepared and if you have to eat out just make good decisions.

<50g carbs = restrictive.
    <150g carbs = not restrictive.

And I don't know why you don't regularly go below 50g yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

If you have an iPad a book called real meal revolution by Tim Noakes is fantastic. It hasn't been published here yet. Other books I'd recommend are why we get fat, wheat belly and grain brain. Reading these will help you stick with it. I've two cookbooks I use- ballymaloe cookery course and Leon.

I read grain brain. Then I read the book he wrote begire grain brain saying that whole grains were superb for you and had to be eaten

Clearly another guy who latches on to the latest research and spits out a book on if

mickman wrote: »
    I read grain brain. Then I read the book he wrote begire grain brain saying that whole grains were superb for you and had to be eaten

Clearly another guy who latches on to the latest research and spits out a book on if

What was that book called?

<50g carbs = restrictive.
    <150g carbs = not restrictive.

And I don't know why you don't regularly go below 50g yourself.

What's restrictive to one person is not restrictive to another. Not sure what your second point is about as the thread is not about how many carbs I eat. Anyway, probably some days below 50 and some days above depending on what's eaten.

What was that book called?

The better brain book. For example page 62 "replace them with real food such as unprocessed while grains loaded with brain boosting b vitamins"

Whereas in grain brain he says that all grains are going to kill you

mickman wrote: »
    The better brain book. For example page 62 "replace them with real food such as unprocessed while grains loaded with brain boosting b vitamins"

Whereas in grain brain he says that all grains are going to kill you

I see. Has he ever addressed this?

I suppose people are allowed to change their views though e.g. Tim Noakes who admitted he was wrong in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Few foods provide only one macronutrient and fit into neat Low carb prescribed categories.
    Not really.
    All meats, cheese, fat sources are all mono-macro. And suitable for LC diets.
    Add to that non-starchy veg.
    Unrefined, complex carbs like whole grains, fruits, vegetable and legumes like chickpeas are good for you and are your body's preferred fuel.
    Maybe, maybe not. But they arent suitable for a low carb diet.

• Advertisement

I see. Has he ever addressed this?

I suppose people are allowed to change their views though e.g. Tim Noakes who admitted he was wrong in the past.

Didn't see any part in grain brain saying he changed his mind.

I'd take his advice with a pinch of salt. Do what works for you

A mostly veg / meat diet with some bread and dairy works for me . Key is getting quality products

A neighbour of mine is 103 years old . He has eaten bread / potatoes ALL his life

Advertisement