Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces special event - September 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

How long after the event do they usually release the new ios version? I'm hoping it'd be right after or even a day or two later, but I don't think it's looking likely because so far there's no sign of a GM release.

I'm actually looking forward to getting my hands on ios8. First time ever I'll give up my jailbreak for the new release straight away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The GM of iOS 8 should be released tomorrow with the final version following a week to 10 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think it used to be the same day as the new iPhone but I think last year they released it on a normal day and not side by side with the new iPhone as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Snake wrote: »
    But how many of those will buy it? 18% being 112,289,000 now that's how many units have sold in the last too years, so let's say it's 110,000,000 if only half of those people buy one, that's only 5,000,000 iwatches. Not a lot at all.

Surely half of 110,000 is 55M.

iPhones hold their value too. And last longer. A lot of people in work near me have the 4S. A compelling upgrade where we could use a wearable - were it useful - and Apple could see tens of millions sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The GM of iOS 8 should be released tomorrow with the final version following a week to 10 days later.

Yeah GM tomorrow with general release most likely Tuesday/Wedneday of next week & the phone itself on the following Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Gimme.

So strange to think that Apple hasn't released one major hardware device or even revised any of their current iOS devices or Macs since October 2013 (Other than the delayed Mac Pro in Dec). I know they've changed stuff around like the 8Gb 5c and the same with a small change to the MacBook Pro and iPod Touch but they've had no major announcements. Even though they were supposed to release new products "across 2014".

I'm hoping for big things tomorrow but I don't usually overhype these events, there's a lot to go on from leaks which kinda helps with long-term decisions whether to upgrade, but it also takes the wow factor from it a little.

I'd expect the following tomorrow based on leaks;
    - Two iPhone models - 4.7" and 5.5". Glad to see NFC arriving, and hoping Apple will allow it to be used by third party accessories which is the only thing I'd use it for. Also the usual internal upgrades, A8, better camera (I'd like to see 4K recording). One thing I'm not too happy to hear is that the 5.5" could have a more powerful feature list - saphire display, more ram and obviously it will have the advantage of the bigger battery. I'm leaning towards the 4.7" because I hate phablets, but maybe they'll slim the bezels down.

- Apple wearable - Hopefully Apple will pull it out of the bag design wise, I really love the look of the Moto 360, I think it's the one to beat from a design aspect, even with that black bar and poor battery. The possibility of NFC is all the more exciting if they leave it open for third party use. Hoping it will have wireless charging too, and a half decent battery. The wearable is what I'm most interested in.

- iOS 8 - I'm hoping for one or two exclusives to be revealed, obviously passbook will supposedly gain NFC payments support but I'd like to see a few surprises on top of that.

- Other than those three I'd imagine we'll see the usual number crunching from Tim Cook at the beginning, and maybe some fitness/home automation demos. Maybe that's just for attendees at the end though.

This is the most hyped up Apple event for me in quite some time. Hoping it doesn't disappoint.

I liked it better when there were 3 announcements a year: Spring (iPad), Summer (WWDC) and Autumn (Music, Macs). And sometimes you'd get two in Autumn!

This cramming-it-all-into-Christmas bull**** has totally messed up my internal calendar.

Edit: Also, cannot wait for the 25 minute demo of Infinity Blade MMXIV tomorrow, said no-one ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iPad could go back to Spring. I'm not convinced we'll see a new one in October.

iPad could go back to Spring. I'm not convinced we'll see a new one in October.

I've had a similar hunch. And you tend to be right on these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

But is a new iPad really worth its own event? They're very much going down the Mini and Air route, so unless there'll be that rumoured 12" iPad, all iPads in the foreseeable further will be refinements of the current models.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i would be suprised if they law a 5.5 inch iphone with the ipad. I've seen a few places reference the iphone air now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I forgot to check last night/this morning, is the event being streamed on Apple TV this evening?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

tallpaul wrote: »
    I forgot to check last night/this morning, is the event being streamed on Apple TV this evening?

Apple TV and www.apple.com and can be watched on any Apple or iOS Device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

TODAY!

If your a Windows user and want to watch the live stream check out this method using VLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Apple is actually blogging this event this year. Not just streaming.

http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/

Here we are ready for the event...

Oh God I'm so excited.

Looking through some of the photos here Apple has some protestor this year.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    Looking through some of the photos here Apple has some protestor this year.

Less than 15 minute warning to get that last cup of tea before it all kicks off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Stream is up on the Apple website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

How to stream if on Windows: http://9to5mac.com/community/how-to-stream-apples-sept-9-iphone-6iwatch-event-on-windows/

BTW - did I just spot Woz in the first few rows?

Oh God, it's just too much.

I LOVE Apple Events. Since about '06. Screw all these bandwagoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

banquo wrote: »
    Oh God, it's just too much.

Deep breaths:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

This is my first apple event that I'm actively watching and interested in, based on the leaks/etc I might be getting my first iPhone.

However, the hype/hysteria is something else, what is it about Apple that turns people into such fanboys?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

any way to stream this to chromecast ? cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

vlc method keeps freezing

Advertisement