Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces special event - September 9th

Options
  • 28-08-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

Apple has just sent out invites for the rumoured special event, confirming the rumoured September 9th date.

320176.jpg

The tagline and poster is very different from recent years. Most definitely there'll be an iPhone or two, but I'm hopeful for the much rumoured wearable to also be unveiled. Recent reports seem to say it is a strong possibility. In a few days we'll know for sure though.

Event kicks off 6pm Irish time and is usually streamed though their website and via the Apple TV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Strange we haven't seen any leaks of the iWatch, eg we know the size of the new iPhones screen but haven't a clue what size the screen is on the iWatch.

Anyone think a new Apple TV will make an appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dudda wrote: »
    Strange we haven't seen any leaks of the iWatch, eg we know the size of the new iPhones screen but haven't a clue what size the screen is on the iWatch.

Anyone think a new Apple TV will make an appearance?

The original iPhone didn't leak either because they didn't put it into the supply chain until they announced it. I'd imagine they're doing the same here.

Don't think Apple TV will make an appearance here, the event in October will be iPad / Apple TV / iPod I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'd love to see an Apple TV with the App Store, but I'd imagine that's a seperate announcement. Maybe alongside the iPad in October, if they really do have the best product pipeline in years it can't just be the addition of a wearable. It would have to be something else significant. If neither are announced then it's just the usual refreshes which would make the statement ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think Apple’s full TV offering is at least another year or two away. They have a lot of roadblocks to overcome with TV. A spec bumped Apple TV alongside their Mac announcements in October is a possibility, but I’m not sure there’s any need when the current box does everything it needs to do. Apple have their eyes set on the whole home entertainment experience. Tv, movies, games, apps, everything. They will wait until all the pieces are in place. And with their main competition stalled, there's no reason to rush it.

Interesting about this whole change of venue and also this strange three-storey stucture that Apple are building in the lead up to the event. It's a much larger audience than usual and it's very unusual for Apple especially with the sturcture. Maybe it's just to show of home automation or Carplay but who knows.

This event is probably going to be one of the most hyped up in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I expect to be considerably underwhelmed.

Unfortunately a trend lately with apples press events.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tzardine wrote: »

I actually agree. I was so underwhelmed when Samsung released the S5. Seems to be a trend lately alright.

Tzardine wrote: »

In fairness the last two WWDC's were pretty good IMO. Just on the hardware side, bar the Mac Pro, nothing interesting has been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The 2013 WWDC was probably the best Apple event since iPhone launch 2007.

Am silly excited for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Can't wait. Normally I've been working at WWDC time or big announcement time but not this time :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This announcement coincides with the global release of Destiny.

How the hell am I supposed to choose between watching the announcement feeds and playing this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The 'Wish We Could Say More' tagline does sound like a new productline will be unveiled, so the iWatch seems inevitable. The fact it hasn't been leaked yet would be a good indicator that it won't be shipping until next year, as rumours suggest.

Can't say I'm into all this wearable/Smartwatch stuff, with the exception of Google Glass. While the Moto 360 is the closest Smartwatch to actually make me consider buying one, they often only serve as a fancy perdometer or heart rate monitor. I'd love to see Apple change my perception on them however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Dades wrote: »
    This announcement coincides with the global release of Destiny.

How the hell am I supposed to choose between watching the announcement feeds and playing this game?
    If you have xbox one you can snap IE and play destiny at the same time :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you have xbox one you can snap IE and play destiny at the same time :)
    That level of mental multitasking is beyond me.

I'm just about able to walk and talk at the same time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Dman001 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm into all this wearable/Smartwatch stuff, with the exception of Google Glass. While the Moto 360 is the closest Smartwatch to actually make me consider buying one, they often only serve as a fancy perdometer or heart rate monitor. I'd love to see Apple change my perception on them however.

I find it hard to see the iWatch really taking off. With just 18% of the global Smartphone market, Apple's potential market is very limited to begin with, couple that with only a fraction of that 18% being interested in investing in the iWatch I find it hard to see how they can take over the wearable devices market, unless there's a version running Android Wear, and lets be honest hell is likely to freeze over first.

Same applies to Samsung's Tizen Smartwatchs, noone wants a watch that ties them to one vendor, buy an Android Wear watch and it will work with whatever android device you have now, or buy in the future.

Hearing they're going to announce the iWatch along with the iPad Air 2, which might be available the same day as the iPhone 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Inquitus wrote: »
    I find it hard to see the iWatch really taking off. With just 18% of the global Smartphone market, Apple's potential market is very limited to begin with, couple that with only a fraction of that 18% being interested in investing in the iWatch I find it hard to see how they can take over the wearable devices market, unless there's a version running Android Wear, and lets be honest hell is likely to freeze over first.

Same applies to Samsung's Tizen Smartwatchs, noone wants a watch that ties them to one vendor, buy an Android Wear watch and it will work with whatever android device you have now, or buy in the future.

18% of the global smartphone market is still absolutely huge.

Also, this event is going to be livestreamed on apple.com.

Zcott wrote: »
    Also, this event is going to be livestreamed on apple.com.

Nice countdown clock added to the site as well.

http://www.apple.com/live/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

18% of the global smartphone market is still absolutely huge.

But how many of those will buy it? 18% being 112,289,000 now that's how many units have sold in the last too years, so let's say it's 110,000,000 if only half of those people buy one, that's only 5,000,000 iwatches. Not a lot at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Snake wrote: »
    But how many of those will buy it? 18% being 112,289,000 now that's how many units have sold in the last too years, so let's say it's 110,000,000 if only half of those people buy one, that's only 5,000,000 iwatches. Not a lot at all.

I think you accidentally a zero :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Home from New York yesterday,was in Apple store on fifth avenue on Tuesday morning and there was a 7 person q formed already in anticipation of I phone 6 arrival,a full week before it's release!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Zcott wrote: »
    Hearing they're going to announce the iWatch along with the iPad Air 2, which might be available the same day as the iPhone 6.

The iWatch, two new iPhones and new iPads at the same event? I doubt it. The iPad will be in October, same as last year.

The iWatch, two new iPhones and new iPads at the same event? I doubt it. The iPad will be in October, same as last year.

iPad rumour makes sense. It's just a minor spec bump, thinner case and touch ID. Takes all of five minutes and that includes the Jony Ive 'we made it magical' video.

Even if it just a spec bump, Apple are trying to position the iPad as a full productivity device, not a big screen iPhone. There’s rumours of split-screen multitasking and a larger screen iPad coming in October. Apple have kept the two devices separate. They aren’t going to shove them both into the same event. Not least because that will leave nothing for them to talk about in October except Yosemite and the new MacBook Air.

This going to be a fairly jam-packed event as it is.

Not least because that will leave nothing for them to talk about in October except Yosemite and the new MacBook Air.

The 12" Air? There's the rumoured iMac refresh too. And hopefully retina iMacs...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Don't Apple usually, in recent years, usually unveil extra products in the second autumn event? A la the iPad mini event?

Yep, it's usually the October Mac and iPad announcement. Although if they're planning on releasing the iPad Air 2 next week they might have something planned for October.

12" iPad?

Less than 24 hours away. Have to say I haven't been this excited about an Apple event for a while. Mainly looking forward to the rumoured wearable. I haven't even gave a thought to the fact we'll probably be getting iOS 8 in a few days which is usually what I look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Inquitus wrote: »

Snake wrote: »

I think the numbers are wrong here but don't think either of you get marketing.
    18% is a huge number
    People describe this as a bad number but don't realise that iPhone is a dominant phone. Cheap chinese smart phones are not really competitors and people forget that Samsung have low end phones as well.

Also I would imagine that Apple hope that iWatches would hook more new customers into the Apple suite of products and lead to sales of more iPhones and/or iPads.

Advertisement