Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text service being removed from Eircom Landlines

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think the shocking part is the polling times. You might as well not have them if you are only going to be notified after 8 hours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Koolkid I agree , but for many reasons I this info is best kept on the sticky. In this case mainly because people should see it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree, but also these services are now going beyond the app with various offerings to replace the Eircom text notifications without additional app functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

I see from the HKC website they are offering a securetext service for €3.40 vat incl, by direct debit only, to replace the Eircom text service.

Can a text service be bought directly from a phone company ?

Or is the HKC text service the only route for a HKC alarm ?

The people with this alarm would not use anything to do with wifi or Apps.

http://www.hkcsecurity.com/ie/product/securetext/communicators/#.VYcK0vlViko

Click on "SecureText Datasheet [1.04 MB] }"

There are quite a few different offerings along these lines.If you are purely looking for a replacement for alarm notifications then a voice dialler is the easiest & cheapest option.

• Advertisement

Would the voice dialler indicate which sensor has gone off or just a general message ?

Would the person receiving the alert get it in the form of a phone call playing a recorded message ? If they missed the call, would they get a voicemail ?

Would the voice dialler send messages abroad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Satts wrote: »
    Would the voice dialler indicate which sensor has gone off or just a general message ?

Would the person receiving the alert get it in the form of a phone call playing a recorded message ? If they missed the call, would they get a voicemail ?

Central station monitoring would be the best option security wise, anything else is a compromise.

On your existing system no. On many newer systems that is an option.
    Its a normal phone call. When you answer it plays a message.
    It would leave a voicemail and then dial the next number in the sequence.
    If you answer & confirm you have heard the message it stops there & does not call anyone else.
    Yes as long as the number its dialing is allowed from the line its connected to and the number called can accept the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fergoc

KoolKid wrote: »
    There are quite a few different offerings along these lines.If you are purely looking for a replacement for alarm notifications then a voice dialler is the easiest & cheapest option.

Hi Koolkid - I am questioning why you say that the voice dialler if easier and cheaper. I have been quoted by my alarm co. EUR200 + VAT to install a voice dialler but at EUR3.40/month, it would take 6 years to spend that much if you sign up to the HKC service, and that's ignoring the time value of money. Also, in my opinion the voice dialler is a backwards step from the current text service given that I can currently respond differently to a Mains Panel Fault (loss of power) versus a PIR alert (something/someone is in my house).

I am interesting in hearing about the other offerings available if it's just a case of reprogramming my existing text alert system.

Firstly, shop around on price. You will get a voice dialler cheaper than that.
    Also, I would consider a voice dialler more reliable than a text service. Texts are sent out blindly whereas a voice dialler will make a call and look for human verification that the message has been received and understood. If not it continues trying all numbers based on its programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 fergoc

KoolKid wrote: »
    Firstly, shop around on price. You will get a voice dialler cheaper than that.
    Also, I would consider a voice dialler more reliable than a text service. Texts are sent out blindly whereas a voice dialler will make a call and look for human verification that the message has been received and understood. If not it continues trying all numbers based on its programming.

Thanks KoolKid. I understand your point regarding the advantage of the voice dialler so I wonder if HKC's service can do delivery confirmation like I get on my phone when I send a text.

But as for shopping around, given that I do not know the engineer's code, if I go with another company, how will they gain access to the Engineer's menu?

The service can probably handle deliver reports. But what would you do with it?
    Send it back to the alarm panel?
    The alarm wont know what to do with it.
    You can set up most voice diallers by connecting to the existing outputs without needing access to the engineer menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

I see from the HKC website they are offering a securetext service for €3.40 vat incl, by direct debit only, to replace the Eircom text service.

Can a text service be bought directly from a phone company ?

Or is the HKC text service the only route for a HKC alarm ?

The people with this alarm would not use anything to do with wifi or Apps.

http://www.hkcsecurity.com/ie/product/securetext/communicators/#.VYcK0vlViko

Click on "SecureText Datasheet [1.04 MB] }"

Which system have they installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Hkc are bringing out a version of gsm-q which will work with the old sw8/12 panels without the need for any software upgrade. I was told it will retail for 180 plus vat.
    I think they are also bringing out a version of gsm-sc which will work with sw8/12 panels and allow those old sytems to work with the hkc app. That will retail a bit cheaper than the above price but I have forgotten how much it was exactly. However to get this to work you have to subscribe to securecom service for 60 euro per annum.
    They also mentioned a solution where they will allow people who are about to lose this service to use existing landlines to still send texts via their own hkc server which means that you will not need any new equipment at all. All you will need to do is change the server number programmed in your panel from the eircoms to theirs. However they mentioned a subscription charge as yet to be decided. I was told 40 euro per annum is the ballpark.

Hi All,
    Guys if anyone could please advise me,it would be much appreciated.I have a HKC alarm(don't know what model)its in 9years & has 10 sensors,if that helps.I am looking to get an alternate to the Eircom text service.I contacted some local alarm companies & they quoted €600 to supply and fit a GSM.I contacted HKC, they sent me on details of a SECURETEXT.Is anyone offering this service and can anyone advise whether this would be a direct replacement for the existing Eircom service, & if possible costs involved.If wanted PM directly. many thanks

coathanger wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Guys if anyone could please advise me,it would be much appreciated.I have a HKC alarm(don't know what model)its in 9years & has 10 sensors,if that helps.I am looking to get an alternate to the Eircom text service.I contacted some local alarm companies & they quoted €600 to supply and fit a GSM.I contacted HKC, they sent me on details of a SECURETEXT.Is anyone offering this service and can anyone advise whether this would be a direct replacement for the existing Eircom service, & if possible costs involved.If wanted PM directly. many thanks

If its 9 years old its more than likely an 8/12.
    If you dont want to replace or add a voice dialer to your existing system then it can be set up to use Securetext. Here is a link to the pricing.

Adding a GSM-P to this system is not feasible due to the system becoming obsolete. I know they are meant to be bring out a cheaper version but you would be in the same boat re this also.

altor wrote: »
    If its 9 years old its more than likely an 8/12.
    If you dont want to replace or add a voice dialer to your existing system then it can be set up to use Securetext. Here is a link to the pricing.

Adding a GSM-P to this system is not feasible due to the system becoming obsolete. I know they are meant to be bring out a cheaper version but you would be in the same boat re this also.

Many thanks for that info ALTOR. Would you know anyone in the South East, that would be able to be able to set up the Secure text for me?thanks

Many thanks for that info ALTOR. Would you know anyone in the South East, that would be able to be able to set up the Secure text for me?thanks

Anyone on the PSA list here will be able to set it up for you.

Anyone on the PSA list here will be able to set it up for you.[/QUOTE
    Thanks Alton,I contacted 2 of them & they both suggested the GSM unit at a cost of €600 no mention AT ALL of an alternative other than a voice mailer or monitoring system,neither of which would suit my needs.

May call another one of the list tomorrow & SUGGEST the SECURE TEXT option... wish me luck !

Anyone on the PSA list here will be able to set it up for you.[/QUOTE
    Thanks Alton,I contacted 2 of them & they both suggested the GSM unit at a cost of €600 no mention AT ALL of an alternative other than a voice mailer or monitoring system,neither of which would suit my needs.

May call another one of the list tomorrow & SUGGEST the SECURE TEXT option... wish me luck !

Is a simple process to have set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

The securetext can be set up by yourself. No need for an installer if the dialler is already installed. Just follow the instructions.

• Advertisement

Which system have they installed?

HKC Secure Watch.

The securetext can be set up by yourself. No need for an installer if the dialler is already installed. Just follow the instructions.

Only if you have the engineer code off the system.

I have sent him a few codes so hopefully he will be able to set it up himself.

HKC Secure Watch.

With the securewatch you could use the securetext and get information of the alarm zone that activated. It can be done with the GSM-P also but this is too expensive to have installed a a obsolete panel.

Only if you have the engineer code off the system.

I have sent him a few codes so hopefully he will be able to set it up himself.

Yep, sorry, forgot to mention that!

Yep, sorry, forgot to mention that!

Always handy to have your own engineer code off your system :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stephen123458

Hi anyone have engineers code for phone watch alarm. Cancelled contract but were charging me for disconnection thanks

I sent you a PM re that code.
    Any problems give us a shout.

Hi anyone have engineers code for phone watch alarm. Cancelled contract but were charging me for disconnection thanks

Do you know what system you have installed?
    In all cases it is only a matter of deleting the numbers from the alarm system to stop it contacting the monitoring station.
    Some of the systems can also be set up to contact you directly if you stop the monitoring.

Just curious have Eircom actually removed this as if 30th June? Anyone with a txt dialler confirm same who hasn't made alternative arrangements?

• Advertisement

Not sure if it's everywhere or exchange by exchange. I tested one yesterday and it was definitely gone.

Advertisement