Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Offering

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

Magnate wrote: »
    Were there any online resources that you found useful (apart from examinations.ie) or did you just stick to making your notes?

I only used books, exam papers and marking schemes tbh. Did the work my teachers assigned and studied for class tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

What are some of your study techniques. I know everyone learns things differently but was just wondering how you went about it. And what was your weekly timetable for the week.

What are some of your study techniques. I know everyone learns things differently but was just wondering how you went about it. And what was your weekly timetable for the week.

I didn't really have assigned times for each subject, I really just focused on class tests and assignments as we were given them. For example if we were told by the biology teacher that we were going to have a respiration test I would focus on that. I'd read the chapter in the book as revision, then I'd use the exam papers and try to answer every question asked on the topic (shown in summary). Finally, I'd go to what should really be your best friend/tool for the year - the marking schemes. Check your answers, learn how the department want you to phrase things, learn these and you can't go too far wrong. After a while you'll begin to notice that there is quite a bit of repitition in amswers even though questions may be phrased differently. This is what will help set you apart from other students as you'll learn to identify exactly what they are looking for you to do. I hope that this helps you and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Header15 wrote: »
    I achieved 8 A1s in the leaving cert this year and understand how difficult and scary the leaving cert can seem at the beginning of the year. If anybody has any questions or requires any tips I would be more than happy to offer my assistance based on my experiences.

Well done on the results but did you ever get the shift? :P I jest of course. As a 625er what are your opinions on rote-learning vs actual understanding? With all due respect, one could easily obtain 625 in the LC simply by a correct subject choice and rote learning (coupled with lots of hard work of course).

thelad95 wrote: »
    Well done on the results but did you ever get the shift? :P I jest of course. As a 625er what are your opinions on rote-learning vs actual understanding? With all due respect, one could easily obtain 625 in the LC simply by a correct subject choice and rote learning (coupled with lots of hard work of course).

Naturally. It's a great chat up line ;) It depends on the subject really. I think it'd be inpossible to rote learn a language or maths but geography history biology etc are rote learning in nature. I think there are very few people capable of 625 tbh because you have to be good at a wide variety of subjects. By your logic everyone has the ability to get 625 but that simply isn't the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 orangey24

hey, congrats :) just wondering, did you do history and if yea any tips ? also any tips for french and irish ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Header15 wrote: »
    Naturally. It's a great chat up line ;) It depends on the subject really. I think it'd be inpossible to rote learn a language or maths but geography history biology etc are rote learning in nature. I think there are very few people capable of 625 tbh because you have to be good at a wide variety of subjects. By your logic everyone has the ability to get 625 but that simply isn't the case.

I disagree completely with you on this. It's possible to shape your subject choice around your interests and what your good at. I know a 625 student who dropped French, dropped to pass English and Irish, did all recognised Science subjects along with HL Maths and got 625 while getting a C2 in pass English and a C1 in pass Irish.

orangey24 wrote: »
    hey, congrats :) just wondering, did you do history and if yea any tips ? also any tips for french and irish ? thanks

Thank you :-) I only did Irish out of those. For that work very hard for your oral and it will pay off for your written paper too as your vocabulary will develop and they are easy marks. Also, practise lots of cluaistuiscint and léamhthuiscint. The aiste is important but remember how difficult it is to pick up marks there in comparison to other sections. One thing I found very handy for paper 2 was that I wrote out common simple adjectives like maith deas dona etc that I was using too often and wrote down a few synonyms from a thesauras. This helps improve your Irish and content marks as you are more descriptive. Finally, learn your prós and filíocht inside out. Know quotes etc and meanings for the quotes. I know you're given the poem on the paper but it is best if you aren't treating it like an unseen poem. Hope this helps and good luck!

I disagree completely with you on this. It's possible to shape your subject choice around your interests and what your good at. I know a 625 student who dropped French, dropped to pass English and Irish, did all recognised Science subjects along with HL Maths and got 625 while getting a C2 in pass English and a C1 in pass Irish.

Yes but still you have to be good at 6 subjects and not everyone can be. To say that anyone can get 625 is downright ignorant. Some of my best friends worked just as hard as I did and got around 300 points. This was an unbelieveable result for them and they got to do what they always wanted to. Exams do not suit everyone and only judges one aspect of your personality. 6A1's is not a simple feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

There's your problem right there. If we take being "good" at a subject as achieving an A1 (necessary for 625), then everyone would be getting them. As far as I remember, 5700 odd candidates achieved a higher level A1 or more, out of the almost 55000 that took the exam. That's a little over 10% who achieved a single higher level A1. You can't say the almost 90% who didn't achieve any all lacked ambition or didn't play to their strengths. A sizable number of them simply lacked the ability to get A1s.

I generally find your posts well informed but I think you're way off on this one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement