Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Offering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Needmockhelp

Hi,

Congrats on your results they are brilliant!!! Just a quick Q on Maths Paper 2. I did it this year but my house burnt down that night. It really affected my results and I was up very late that night and i’m just wondering would you advise to repeat as i didn’t get my first choice? My parents think I should go to a grind school or a boarding school. Do you have any experience in either?
    Also Who did you do in english as in the poet? i found the Larkin Q fairly handy but i would have loved to do the dickinson Q as many did.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

Hi,

Congrats on your results they are brilliant!!! Just a quick Q on Maths Paper 2. I did it this year but my house burnt down that night. It really affected my results and I was up very late that night and i’m just wondering would you advise to repeat as i didn’t get my first choice? My parents think I should go to a grind school or a boarding school. Do you have any experience in either?
    Also Who did you do in english as in the poet? i found the Larkin Q fairly handy but i would have loved to do the dickinson Q as many did.

Thanks

I am very sorry about your house. It sounds like an awful ordeal. I would advise you to repeat only if your first choice is something that you really want to do and can realistically achieve.
    If you are satisfied with your current offer on the other hand take it.
    Obviously your incident would have severely impacted on your grade.
    I went to a boarding school and found the environment brilliant for study as distractions of the outside world are completely isolated which I am told is very similar to grind schools.
    I did Dickinson and found it to be a lively question. I viewed it today and got 49 out of 50.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Randomstudent

There's no point in being a jealous bimbo slut. My dog died in that fire so please don't be mean!!!

Screw you! You grape looking slat go cover your self in Vaseline and pretend your a slug and fail foundation Irish!

Banned. - R.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Needmockhelp

Screw you! You grape looking slat go cover your self in Vaseline and pretend your a slug and fail foundation Irish!

Sorry says the lad that prop failed LCVP cause you are so dumb! Why don't you go jump off a cliff and DIE!

Banned. - R.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Hold up here guys. Whats with the nasty comments? Totally unacceptable, cop on to yourselves!

• Advertisement

Omg I'm soooooo sorry for your hardship.

Same. Just shows that you can never really tell what's going on in someone elses life. Congratulations on your bravery in revealing your harrowing tale of misfortune to the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Completely ridiculous off-topic posts deleted.

Needmockhelp and Randomstudent take it to PM if you really want to continue that conversation...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Did you do French or History? Any tips?

Hana98 wrote: »
    Did you do French or History? Any tips?

No sorry, I didn't study either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Username6212

How many hours of English did you study per week? In my school we have 4 hours of English classes per week, 1 hour for paper 1 and the remainder for paper 2. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

How many hours of English did you study per week? In my school we have 4 hours of English classes per week, 1 hour for paper 1 and the remainder for paper 2. Thanks :)

We had 5 40 minute classes a week. I didn't particularly focus on English as I thought it would be difficult to get an A1 and so was completely shocked to get an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

Well done

Update: decided to leave medicine after getting offered a place in UCD on the 4th round. Completing an internship this year and have re-applyed to CAO for eother B&L or Ec&Fi. So free to answer loads pf questions again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

What made you leave medicine ? Do you not like health sciences ?

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    What made you leave medicine ? Do you not like health sciences ?

I was always unsure about what I wanted to do. I looked at my scripts and saw i got higher marks in business subjects despite only putting in half the wprk. I now understand that this was because I had a genuine interest in business and that my high marks in science came through learning off. Medicine isn't something you do with little interest and am very happy with my decision to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

May I ask which business & language course piqued your interest?

I'm actually considering either Business and law or else economics and finance, not a language course.

Oh right sorry, my mistake!

Magnate wrote: »
    Oh right sorry, my mistake!

No problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IncognitoX

How did you find Medicine? What didn't you like about it?

• Advertisement

IncognitoX wrote: »
    How did you find Medicine? What didn't you like about it?

After meeting all of the other people in my year I realised the passion and interest they had in the profession. I sat in lectures for a few weeks trying to be interested but I literally couldn't find anything I liked about it. I couldn't see myself ever wnjoying a career in the science field. It is the type of profession that you have to have a love for or a vocation and I realised that I just didn't have that. I have no regrets about my decision and am honestly very proud of myself for having the maturity to realise on my own that it wasn't what I wanted and walk away from it.

Should I rote learn irish aistes?

I've always preferred to learn bullet points and key vocab instead but I seem to have dropped quite a bit this year. 80 marks are going for your standard of Irish in this section and I really need to be hitting the A1 mark points-wise. When I try to make it up on the spot it's B standard at best. How did you go about preparing for it?

Thanks,

Should I rote learn irish aistes?

I've always preferred to learn bullet points and key vocab instead but I seem to have dropped quite a bit this year. 80 marks are going for your standard of Irish in this section and I really need to be hitting the A1 mark points-wise. When I try to make it up on the spot it's B standard at best. How did you go about preparing for it?

Thanks,

Learning essays off by heart is not the best idea in my opinion but it depends on the student. Learning off vocab and phrases like you said is what I personally found most effective. Bare in mind that the aiste is the toughest marked section on the paper. I got 87 in mine in the LC and my teacher told me that that was an exceptionally high result for the section. It is easier to pick up marks in the other sections. Learn off phrases particularly with the modh choiniollach as they really attract high marks. Simplicity is often better than mistake ridden attempts at complicated Irish. When you start properly preparing for the oral your vocab will improve dramtically but everyday try learn a few new phrases, words and nathanna cainte as it will enhance your mark. I hope that this helps!

Header15 wrote: »
    Learning essays off by heart is not the best idea in my opinion but it depends on the student. Learning off vocab and phrases like you said is what I personally found most effective. Bare in mind that the aiste is the toughest marked section on the paper. I got 87 in mine in the LC and my teacher told me that that was an exceptionally high result for the section. It is easier to pick up marks in the other sections. Learn off phrases particularly with the modh choiniollach as they really attract high marks. Simplicity is often better than mistake ridden attempts at complicated Irish. When you start properly preparing for the oral your vocab will improve dramtically but everyday try learn a few new phrases, words and nathanna cainte as it will enhance your mark. I hope that this helps!

Thanks, I think I'll keep doing it the same way like you said but focus on nathanna cainte to bring up my mark for gaeilge. It should help with the other sections as well.

Using simple irish works perfectly for everything else as the mark for gaeilge is fairly small and it's more about the content you write.

Can I ask what results you were getting in maths around this time of year? I'm putting more effort into it than any of my other subjects and getting C's, I wonder am I doing enough. Is it the kind of subject where everything just clicks eventually or should I be doing even more?

Thanks,

Thanks, I think I'll keep doing it the same way like you said but focus on nathanna cainte to bring up my mark for gaeilge. It should help with the other sections as well.

Using simple irish works perfectly for everything else as the mark for gaeilge is fairly small and it's more about the content you write.

Can I ask what results you were getting in maths around this time of year? I'm putting more effort into it than any of my other subjects and getting C's, I wonder am I doing enough. Is it the kind of subject where everything just clicks eventually or should I be doing even more?

Thanks,

Yeah I think that would be the best.

Don't be discouraged by your maths results at this time. It really does click. I also had to put loads of time into it and it eventually paid off even if it did get frustrating at times seeing my self-perceived lack of progress. I managed to scrape a B1 in the mocks and ended up getting 95% in the LC. Know your definitions, theorems etc back to front as they are guaranteed marks that you can't afford to throw away. Getting C's now is actually very good and if you push yourself you can get an A or B in the LC I would think. A few in my class failed the mocks and the lowest mark in the LC was a B then so just keep it going for those bonus points!

Header15 wrote: »
    Yeah I think that would be the best.

Don't be discouraged by your maths results at this time. It really does click. I also had to put loads of time into it and it eventually paid off even if it did get frustrating at times seeing my self-perceived lack of progress. I managed to scrape a B1 in the mocks and ended up getting 95% in the LC. Know your definitions, theorems etc back to front as they are guaranteed marks that you can't afford to throw away. Getting C's now is actually very good and if you push yourself you can get an A or B in the LC I would think. A few in my class failed the mocks and the lowest mark in the LC was a B then so just keep it going for those bonus points!

Thanks that's reassuring, yeah I think I'll keep the focus on maths. Anything higher than a B3 would really help to take the pressure off my other subjects so it's definitely worth it. ;)

Thanks that's reassuring, yeah I think I'll keep the focus on maths. Anything higher than a B3 would really help to take the pressure off my other subjects so it's definitely worth it. ;)

No problem and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IncognitoX

Did you ever doubt yourself and worry that you would not receive such high points? If so, how did you deal with this?

IncognitoX wrote: »
    Did you ever doubt yourself and worry that you would not receive such high points? If so, how did you deal with this?

Yep. To be honest I've always doubted myself when it comes to exams and felt that I was just extremely lucky. I feel that the LC proved me wrong though, after my exams I would've been happy with 550 and couldn't stop shaking for almost 20 minutes after opening the envelope. I'm a very competitive person and I think that's what really got me through it. I wanted to do the best I could do so I wouldn't have any regrets later on. I put myself under a lot of pressure that nearly broke me but having that high target pushed me to keep going. I refused to settle for second best and always strived to do more. Maths was probably my weakpoint for example so I took it on myself to do every exam and sample paper that I could get my hands on between the mocks and the LC. It is all about preparation and if you prepare you will reap the rewards and get the results that you deserve.

• Advertisement

Were there any online resources that you found useful (apart from examinations.ie) or did you just stick to making your notes?

Advertisement