Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi3 Owners Thread - tips, tricks, updates and everything eles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

It worked fine on the original ROM but when I tried it on 4.8.22 it just opens and closes.

I'm hoping things will get resolved on the next OTA this week. Its incremental so should replace anything thats not there.

It just means I cant get any apps onto the phone for now

Seems to be the ROM, but did you try putting Google Play back on afresh with an apk?

Did you get any pre-4.8.22 version running other than 4.3.14? If yes, how was Google Play then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

corwill wrote: »
    Seems to be the ROM, but did you try putting Google Play back on afresh with an apk?

Did you get any pre-4.8.22 version running other than 4.3.14? If yes, how was Google Play then?

I tried reverting to 4.7.25 but the sim wasnt being read. Im back to 4.8.22

I was reading the people on MUI 4 couldnt revert back to stock rom. i assuem thats why i couldnt revert to the stable rom having gone to developer.

A bit strange really.

Also GAAPS seems to be a problem for people in general

I tried reverting to 4.7.25 but the sim wasnt being read. Im back to 4.8.22

I was reading the people on MUI 4 couldnt revert back to stock rom. i assuem thats why i couldnt revert to the stable rom having gone to developer.

A bit strange really.

Also GAAPS seems to be a problem for people in general

Was all set to update, but I think I'll hold off for a while, the phone is working just fine for me on 4.3.14 for now. As you said above, their attention seems to be on MIUI 6 at the moment, which is understandable.

SUCCESS !!

I got google play working using this video and mi market https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjLtPOO32A#aid=P-xPDiZyJqI

It installs a google framework and some of the GAPPS

I downloaded the apk 4.9.13 having uninstalled google play and GAPPS Manager.
    I then followed the video.
    I had to update Google Player which I downloaded in the framework install with the newer version I downloaded.
    Its a case of clicking on the apk.

As past of the process I was able to sign into google an get my phone numbers downloaded and then was able to install my apps including titanium which I used to remove the chinese apps on the phone :D

I've no more to do with it :mad: except to wait for the next OTA update to 4.8.22

Hope this helps you Will. My 2 cents is to move from 4.3 straight to the new dev rom.

Excellent, I'll give that a crack tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I thought everyone here knew getting play store via mi market, would have mentioned it otherwise and saved you the headache :) It's a well known xiaomi trick around for a long time.

To those who get a mi3 without google preinstalled, you shouldn't need to install any separate apks as everything is in that mi market app by Eric Xiang, it could just cause more problems. The play store/services should update themselves.

Here's a clearer guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlBhTKTZ-Cs

spix wrote: »
    I thought everyone here knew getting play store via mi market, would have mentioned it otherwise and saved you the headache :) It's a well known xiaomi trick around for a long time.

To those who get a mi3 without google preinstalled, you shouldn't need to install any separate apks as everything is in that mi market app by Eric Xiang, it could just cause more problems. The play store/services should update themselves.

Here's a clearer guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlBhTKTZ-Cs

Mine came without Mi Market, which surprised me.

Might Come when you change rom.

EEdi you need to change the download limiter to unlimited to enable people large file downloads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

That means you must have the miui international rom preinstalled (http://xiaomi.eu/community/forums/miui-weekly-rom-releases.103/ don't think it supports OTA updates) It adds loads of languages, removes chinese apps and installs play store. Most sellers ship it like this.

Wiping the cache now pre-flash, and it's hanging on 98%. Apparently this can last up to 30 minutes (http://en.miui.com/thread-18939-1-1.html), but it sure is unnerving. Anyone else run into this?

• Advertisement

Wiping the cache now pre-flash, and it's hanging on 98%. Apparently this can last up to 30 minutes (http://en.miui.com/thread-18939-1-1.html), but it sure is unnerving. Anyone else run into this?

Took less than 10 minutes for me but I suppose it depends on whats to be upgraded.
    When you go to 4.8.22 reboot and then go back to about/updates. You will get a message that your up to date.Then the little menu button on the bottom left and see available updates.

Disclaimer: you do so at your own risk :D

Did Google Play work for you at all prior to trying to flash updates to the phone?

It worked on the original version. But using the mi market sorted it.

I got a cool free theme with 3 fighter jets going across the screen. When the phone locks you need to touch each of the jets which then zoom off and unlock the screen for you...really cool.:D

Took less than 10 minutes for me but I suppose it depends on whats to be upgraded.
    When you go to 4.8.22 reboot and then go back to about/updates. You will get a message that your up to date.Then the little menu button on the bottom left and see available updates.

Disclaimer: you do so at your own risk :D

It took about 20 minutes to finish wiping the cache, which is line with what folks were saying on that forum thread that I posted.

Now I have a much bigger problem...
    My Mi3 wrote:
    Install update.zip failed!

update.zip signature verification failed

:eek:

I'm googling for a solution or even just a next step, but I'd be pitifully grateful for any suggestions!

Edit: Powered off, then booted into recovery mode, then tried the install again. Same result. Going to power off, then boot into recover, then try another cache wipe, then try the install again.

It took about 20 minutes to finish wiping the cache, which is line with what folks were saying on that forum thread that I posted.

Now I have a much bigger problem...

:eek:

I'm googling for a solution or even just a next step, but I'd be pitifully grateful for any suggestions!

Make sure there are no other version of the update in the root folder ( I assume thats what your doing.)
    Try again. it happened me as well
    Are you putting on 4.8.22. and is it the China Version. I found I had failures when I wasnt careful in downloading the right one.

Does it give you an error log..it should....I reckon it will say you are installing pieces instead of cancro..;)

http://en.miui.com/thread-36699-1-1.html

After MIUI 6 is announced, a lot of MIUIers are concerned about when their device will receive MIUI 6 upadte.

During the launch event, Hong Feng announced that Xiaomi Mi 3 WCDMA/CDMA and Mi 4 will be the first to receive MIUI 6 beta testing. In Oct, all owners of Mi 3 WCDMA/CDMA and Mi 4 will be upgraded to MIUI 6. And Xiaomi Mi 2/2S/2A, Redmi 1/1S and Redmi Note will receive beta testing by the end of this year.

More detailed initial porting plan is revealed today. Please note that this is only initial plan and may have some changes. We will let you know if there's any changes ASAP.

After MIUI 6 is announced, a lot of MIUIers are concerned about when their device will receive MIUI 6 upadte.

During the launch event, Hong Feng announced that Xiaomi Mi 3 WCDMA/CDMA and Mi 4 will be the first to receive MIUI 6 beta testing. In Oct, all owners of Mi 3 WCDMA/CDMA and Mi 4 will be upgraded to MIUI 6. And Xiaomi Mi 2/2S/2A, Redmi 1/1S and Redmi Note will receive beta testing by the end of this year.

More detailed initial porting plan is revealed today. Please note that this is only initial plan and may have some changes. We will let you know if there's any changes ASAP.

Device Model Sequence MIUI 6 Dev ROM
    Xiaomi Mi 1 All models Not Available Not Available
    Xiaomi Mi 2 All models 4th By the end of this year
    Xiaomi Mi 3 TD-CDMA 2nd Mid-Sept
    WCDMA 1st Aug 29
    CDMA 1st Aug 29
    Xiaomi Mi 4 All models 1st Aug 29
    Mi Pad 3rd Unknown
    Redmi All models 4th By the end of this year
    Redmi Note All models 4th By the end of this year

Make sure there are no other version of the update in the root folder ( I assume thats what your doing.)
    Try again. it happened me as well
    Are you putting on 4.8.22. and is it the China Version. I found I had failures when I wasnt careful in downloading the right one.

Does it give you an error log..it should....I reckon it will say you are installing pieces instead of cancro..;)

Just waiting on the cache to wipe again, which will take another 15 minutes or so, will try the install again. If it doesn't work then, I'll have to try something else.

I'm as certain as I can be that I used the China version of 4.8.22, but I have another copy of it downloading to my pc right now. The question is, what do I do next? Complete n00b here. Can I just power it down out of recovery, power it up normally and replace the update.zip file?

Just waiting on the cache to wipe again, which will take another 15 minutes or so, will try the install again. If it doesn't work then, I'll have to try something else.

I'm as certain as I can be that I used the China version of 4.8.22, but I have another copy of it downloading to my pc right now. The question is, what do I do next? Complete n00b here. Can I just power it down out of recovery, power it up normally and replace the update.zip file?

Exactly :)

When the cache is wiped power off and delete the update file from the phone.

Do a cache wipe again before installing the new update....It shouldn't take as long

Exactly :)

When the cache is wiped power off and delete the update file from the phone.

Do a cache wipe again before installing the new update....It shouldn't take as long

Thanks George Rancid Literature. I'll be damned if I'm going back to that ****** S3!

Okay, so got sorted, thanks to the sage counsel of tatranska. Looks like the problems arose from a corrupt update zip, probably related to wifi/download issues with my laptop.

Only issue is that Google Keep, which I use for to-do lists/reminders, isn't working and won't sync, even after a re-install. Not exactly a show-stopper, I'm sure I could find an alternative if I absolutely have to.

The phone is running even more smoothly than before, and it looks like I'll get OTA updates from here on in, at least until MiUI 6 launches. I have to say, it's an absolutely super phone, chuffed to bits with it, despite some stomach-churning moments this evening getting it updated.

I just tried Google keeps. It failed the first time but worked when I did it again.

• Advertisement

I just tried Google keeps. It failed the first time but worked when I did it again.

I have it working now, but it won't sync (I have it on a tablet and a Chrome extension on my pc). I'm not putting that down to MiUi necessarily, Keep has been problematic on that front for many users since it launched.

So I'm going to take any.do for a test drive, it's been getting plenty of positive feedback that I've seen on-line.

If anyone sees a decent (non-flip) case for sale, I'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

If anyone sees a decent (non-flip) case for sale, I'm all ears.

Got a case from aliexpress for the extortionate price of €1.20 :pac:

It's only a silicone casing to protect the back from scratches and the screen if it falls screen first. Does the job! Took about a month to get here though.....

Colemania wrote: »
    Got a case from aliexpress for the extortionate price of €1.20 :pac:

It's only a silicone casing to protect the back from scratches and the screen if it falls screen first. Does the job! Took about a month to get here though.....

Have a silicone back case and a hard back case that I ordered at the same time as the phone. The former offers fairly decent protection for small knocks and short falls, but is pretty ugly. The latter looks fairly well, but I don't imagine it'll offer much in the way of protection, bar against scratches to the back.

It's too damn pretty a phone to put a minger of a cover on it! But I defo want to have something solid on it.

Btw, the free gift flip case that I got with it is one of the rankest phone accessories I've ever seen up close. And attaches with an adhesive strip! I'd have paid extra not to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Have a silicone back case and a hard back case that I ordered at the same time as the phone. The former offers fairly decent protection for small knocks and short falls, but is pretty ugly. The latter looks fairly well, but I don't imagine it'll offer much in the way of protection, bar against scratches to the back.

It's too damn pretty a phone to put a minger of a cover on it! But I defo want to have something solid on it.

Btw, the free gift flip case that I got with it is one of the rankest phone accessories I've ever seen up close. And attaches with an adhesive strip! I'd have paid extra not to get it.

Never got that! Got mine from ibuygou through DHL in 4 days. Where did you get yours?

Colemania wrote: »
    Never got that! Got mine from ibuygou through DHL in 4 days. Where did you get yours?

xiaomishop.com. It came in packaging that seemed to indicate it was official Xiaomi merc, but it's a seriously tatty flip case. The other free gifts were a screen protector (grand), mini-stylus with a bit of string and a piece of plastic to plug it into the earphone socket (can't imagine why I would ever bother me hoop), and an EU adaptor for the Chinese charger plug (even if I had a deathwish, I'd think twice about using it).

Shouldn't be complaining about free stuff, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi lads. So I finally pulled the trigger on the Mi3 for my wife. Decided to go with the EU Direct option on XiaomiShop because I really don't want to be thinking about Customs and, as I've kept her waiting for a good while, just want it delivered fast.

So when it gets here, is there anything I need to do out of the box? Failing that, anything I should do?

Thanks.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Hi lads. So I finally pulled the trigger on the Mi3 for my wife. Decided to go with the EU Direct option on XiaomiShop because I really don't want to be thinking about Customs and, as I've kept her waiting for a good while, just want it delivered fast.

So when it gets here, is there anything I need to do out of the box? Failing that, anything I should do?

Thanks.

If you want to move it to a newer rom there are details in this thread.
    You should upgrade to 4.4 kitkat at least to get result updates on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

If you want to move it to a newer rom there are details in this thread.
    You should upgrade to 4.4 kitkat at least to get result updates on the phone.

Thanks. Which Android version does it usually ship with?

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Thanks. Which Android version does it usually ship with?

Mine came with MiUi 4.3.14, which is the developer's edition, and corresponds to Android 4.3.

The latest developers' edition is MiUi 4.8.22, which is Android 4.4.4. You should get weekly OTA updates thereafter, once you've updated to it, or so I understand.

Advertisement