Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 12 - Belgian Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Bv4lJjLIEAA8bwk.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Myrddin wrote: »
    Why not wait for DRS? It would have given him a clear speed advantage, Hamilton would have had to defend & only been allowed to move once, it would have been a straight piece of track rather than a chicane too. For "the smarter of the two" it would have seemed to make sense. But no, sure come up behind a car that's on the racing line through a chicane was his approach. Certainly makes you wonder.
    Because a lap later he might not be as close. Strike while the iron is hot, take any opportunity that exists. He was right to attack, but wrong not to back out and avoid the collision.
    Yes they have, that's correct. But by & large, they still pick & choose their battles. Rosberg should have known who he was fighting & that yielding wasn't in Lewis' game plan...most fans would know that, let alone the drivers...and yet waiting for the DRS zone would have meant Nico would in all probability have taken 1st from Lewis with far, far less of a risk. It was a balsy move, but one which utterly failed at the expense of his title rival.
    The highlighted part is exactly why he did it though. I know that what Rosberg did was wrong and unacceptable, but I know exactly why he did it. It's marking Hamilton's cards that he knows yeilding isn't part of Hamiltons plan, but he's making a statement to Hamilton that "two can play the 'no yeild' game plan".
    Silly? Yes. Amateur? No, it was calculated. I would say that in his head he probably hoped for a wheel bang between them with no damage and continue racing with Hamilton aware of him hounding him, but either way, it was a silly move.
    I don't know, battle lines have been drawn now. Given the same situation with Lewis behind, all Lewis has to do is clip Nico's tire & nothing can be done about it. Lewis is his own worst enemy, & this will no doubt play into Nico's hands.
    It'll be interesting to see the next few races. There was no point in Rosberg in making his little "statement" if he doesn't intend to follow up on it. However following the meeting, being a bit more sheepish for a race or two might be advised.
    The rich kid argument? Who's arguing it's the case? What I said was "He probably has inherited (through no fault of his own) the identity of the rich kid who grew up in Monaco too...something DC/EJ were saying maybe prevents people from identifying with him". Personally I think they have a point, he doesn't seem to attract many fans to the grandstands at all, & I don't recall spotting any Nico flags or anything. You have to wonder why that is.
    I think it might explain the lack of fans, but it shouldn't explain the personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Even if he did say that I think its poor form for Hamilton to come out and say what was said in the meeting. It comes across as petty and it looks like he is doing his best to turn Rosberg into the bad guy. I don't understand why Lewis doesn't just shut up and let his driving do the talking.
    Criticising management was his first mistake.
    He doesn't shut up because he's not smart enough to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Oblomov wrote: »
    T
    Did Hamilton move across, knowing that Rosberg would have to back off or brake, giving him the added distance to hold off Tosberg?
    It was a silly position for Nico to be in, the collision that happened was probably one of the better outcomes that could have happened. If Hamilton had outbreaked himself going into the corner he could have slid across and completely wrecked both cars. It was always going to be a dangerous overtake. There wasn't really a way for the two cars to go through the chicane without contact or both cars losing pace to the cars behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Even if he did say that I think its poor form for Hamilton to come out and say what was said in the meeting. It comes across as petty and it looks like he is doing his best to turn Rosberg into the bad guy. I don't understand why Lewis doesn't just shut up and let his driving do the talking.

Fully agree. He's the only loser in these mind games. He needs to put a smile on, & let the results do the talking. In his defense though, it seems like a long time ago now that he has been able to actually do that...be it car failures, & now being taken out...hard to deny he's had an absolutely rotten run of luck for a lot of this season. The fact he's only 29 points behind Nico is a miracle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Looking at it there, it really does look like Rosberg was caught out and went for the cut back. He was ahead of Hamilton at first, but on the cut back, there wasn't enough room. He probably could have braked and missed him, but equally, it does look like he just didn't want to run off the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Gillespy

By all accounts Hamilton came out of the meeting shocked with what he had heard. Nico viewed it as a chance to twist the knife and Hamilton was forced into a corner. I don't blame him for using the media, he probably feels he has nothing to lose by doing so. This season has been one step forward and two back for him so far. Is it now 5-1 in terms of failures? 3 -1 DNFs and 2 qualifications ruined by car failures. Rosberg's problems are trivial in comparison.

antodeco wrote: »
    Looking at it there, it really does look like Rosberg was caught out and went for the cut back. He was ahead of Hamilton at first, but on the cut back, there wasn't enough room. He probably could have braked and missed him, but equally, it does look like he just didn't want to run off the track.

But at no point in that video was Rosberg ahead of Lewis. He tried to force his way into a gap that was never there. Plus the speed differential was massive on the straight given the slipstream...another lap would have seen him take the place in a much handier fashion (assuming he could have kept up, which I think he would have).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

But at no point in that video was Rosberg ahead of Lewis. He tried to force his way into a gap that was never there. Plus the speed differential was massive on the straight given the slipstream...another lap would have seen him take the place in a much handier fashion (assuming he could have kept up, which I think he would have).

Apologies, I meant the better line/speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

By Lightning:

The problem, depends whose version you read as to what exactly was said.

It would appear that from Rosberg's comments Hamilton has construed an opinion as to the meaning.

Totally different interpretation to the, and we will never know, what wasw actually said or implied. The coverage, from national papers to TV stations, obviously an agency involved in getting the story aired.

Before the race Hamilton was credited with comment such as, "it's better to start in seconf place" and " i will slipstream thro Eau Rouge", very different from the reality.

Rosberg's comment " Hamilton is worrying too much other people"

We've all met people who will spin any situation to suit themselves. rember a Schumacher fan who was distraughr when Schury drove into Hill, but a week later had covinced himself that Hill was in the wrong.

Since Hamilton left both, Mclaren and his father as agent, he has chamged considerably.

• Advertisement

So Hamilton fans are trying to get #BanRosberg trending on Twitter...

What utter f*ckwits.

If you really want to throw bleach in your eye just look at the comments on the Daily Mail article about this. You have been warned however :pac:

The stupid is actually painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Did Hamilton move across, knowing that Rosberg would have to back off or brake, giving him the added distance to hold off Tosberg?

Is that what Hamilton fans are calling Nico now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

To be fair its an excellent name to call him if you don't like him :pac:

Yeah I think Oblomov should patent it

I haven't read yet, but what has Hamilton come out & said about the meeting the team had?

I haven't read yet, but what has Hamilton come out & said about the meeting the team had?

Here's the full transcript.

_rebelkid wrote: »

Cheers, had a read of it there. We're a far cry from when they were banging shoulders congratulating each other earlier on in the season aren't we?

There's a lot of people on Twitter saying that the "devious Nico is nowhere near the level of drivers like Our Lewis and Alonso"

That would be the Alonso that sat in the pit box for 30+ seconds to prevent his team mate from qualifying...

Cheers, had a read of it there. We're a far cry from when they were banging shoulders congratulating each other earlier on in the season aren't we?

Very. Although, that was never going to last...

• Advertisement

There's a lot of people on Twitter saying that the "devious Nico is nowhere near the level of drivers like Our Lewis and Alonso"

That would be the Alonso that sat in the pit box for 30+ seconds to prevent his team mate from qualifying...

Sounds almost soccer-like doesn't it? Blind loyalty affects people in a lot of really stupid ways. You know the hardcore Irish types:

1) "Up the RA"
    2) "Brits out!"
    3) "Liverpool till I die!"

That type of ****e. Anyway, this shouldn't be allowed to become a witch hunt, I don't believe for a second the incident was an intentional move by Rosberg, where he set out to sabotage Lewis' race. It was a silly error he made, that's it. Vilifying him is just nonsense. The matter is over, the race is over, lets look forward to Monza is all I can say.

Whole lot of nothing from Rosberg there again. Toto pretty much corroborated Hamilton's version so that's good enough for me.
    Before the race hamilton was credited with comment such as, "it's better to start in seconf place" and " i will slipstream thro Eau Rouge", very different from the reality.
    It was the reality last year and Vettel almost did it again yesterday. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The best thing about this years F1 line up is that there's so many drivers to follow. I don't have any loyalty to any particular driver, there's so much talent there it's pointless to get blinkered to one driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Bv4lJjLIEAA8bwk.jpg:large

This sums it up nicely. These incidents happen all the time. We've seen them numerous times this season. Martin Brundle summed it up nicely. There is a 100% chance you'll damage your front wing, and a very small chance you'll give the other guy a puncture, unless you hit a very narrow, specific part of the tire.

It's a shame that it overshadows the outstanding drives by Ricciardo and Bottas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Gillespy wrote: »
    Whole lot of nothing from Rosberg there again. Toto pretty much corroborated Hamilton's version so that's good enough for me.
    Toto wrote:
    He thought it was for Lewis to leave him space, and that Lewis didn't leave him space.

So they agreed to disagree in a very heated discussion amongst ourselves, but it wasn't deliberately crashing. That is nonsense.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115558

:confused::confused::confused:

A Merc spokesperson said Hamilton's story was 'broadly accurate'.

This is what Tota said.
    SSN reports that the Mercedes boss has confirmed Rosberg acknowledged "he could have avoided crashing but didn’t [in order to] make a point.”

Nothing there makes a liar out of Hamilton.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/12472/9438702/toto-wolff-denies-nico-rosberg-crashed-on-purpose-but-admits-he-was-proving-point

This is what Tota said.
    SSN reports that the Mercedes boss has confirmed Rosberg acknowledged "he could have avoided crashing but didn’t [in order to] make a point.”

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/12472/9438702/toto-wolff-denies-nico-rosberg-crashed-on-purpose-but-admits-he-was-proving-point

Well, Hamilton is saying Rosberg hit him deliberately, whereas Toto was saying Rosberg deliberately held his line. There is a distinction there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

This is what Tota said.

Autosport quoted Toto as saying Nicos comments were misconstrued (by Lewis).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Some painful reading on other forums and twitter from Hamilton fans, or anti-Rosberg fans, whatever way you want to view it.

Advertisement