Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Mrs JB did a 4.11 and an 11min pb on last year.

Interesting being a spectator as opposed to running it, whole different ball game and mix of emotions when supporting your own. She finished like a train compared to everyone else, a lot of people suffered out there yesterday. She is chuffed to bits and so she should be.

Have no voice today from all the shouting :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Managed 3:18 myself but was a tough one. Fantastic support as always. Not sure whether to eat the pasta from the goodie bag or play with the wart remover first. Now to spend today staring at Garmin connect in search of the magic bullet that will get me under 3hrs!
    Well done everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Yesterday feels like a strange dream at this point.

I was on 3.08/09 pace until 36km or so.. started to feel very weak, slowed a lot, walked a bit. I really was in pieces. Was more or less carried by volunteers (I think?) the final 1 or 2km.
    All the HTFU in the world doesn't help when your head's rolling and you can barely stand. Collapsed over the line. Ended up on an ambulance trolley, apparently in the section for particularly fvcked people in the med tent. Was semi conscious for about two hours while the drip did its work. Woke up every now and then to yack my guts up, the ambulance people were the most heroic people I saw during the day. Gave me about three rounds of anti-vomit drugs. Ended up finishing in 3.18 but I'm still pretty shaken today.

Thought I was good for sub 3:10, the 1:27 half was comfortable and I'd trained consistently and carefully for months. I had the busiest month of my working life in October. Couldn't have helped. Or maybe my target was too ambitious. Or maybe I didn't drink enough. Or maybe...who knows. Will be hard to come back from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Bambaata wrote: »
    Best of luck everyone

Off topic but well done on your result at the weekend too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I was looking after one of the Cheer Zones yesterday in Rialto. What an atmosphere around the course. It gets better every year. The amount of people running from individuals to many of the running and athletic clubs all around the country. Around eleven thousand people passed me at my point which was between mile twelve and thirteen by half twelve. Pity it doesn't get TV coverage. It's high time RTE got there finger out for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 jamescantwell

hardest one yet for me...had to dig the deepest ever, never have seen so many fallen bodies before in a marathon...heat, hills, wind??? was talking to sergiu and he's adament twas his hardest ever too...45 out of 48 in my club suffered like never before too!..im very happy with a PB though of 3:24 but im not sure about doing it again, prob wil feel diff in a few days when I can walk again!
    well done to everyone on boards who attempted it or completed it, tough going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Speaking of tv coverage, RTE used to screen it for many years and the viewing figures were awful, so they dropped it. Be hard to come back from that position without some solid evidence. You'd almost miss Jerry Kiernan talking you through the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Speaking of tv coverage, RTE used to screen it for many years and the viewing figures were awful, so they dropped it. Be hard to come back from that position without some solid evidence. You'd almost miss Jerry Kiernan talking you through the race.

The numbers participating in the event has doubled since it was last televised. Running is now at the forefront of sport in this country and it deserves a televised platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

bbability wrote: »
    The numbers participating in the event has doubled since it was last televised. Running is now at the forefront of sport in this country and it deserves a televised platform.

Who is going to watch it?

It means alot to you so you want it on TV. It means nothing to most, and even those that did it would never ever watch it.

And it if WAS televised the coverage would stop around 2:35 in after the first lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Or at least a highlights package. Watching a full marathon would stimulate no interest but a half hour/ 1 hour highlights show would create a bit of a buzz. And we might get to see ourselves on telly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Supposed to be a highlights package on Setanta some time

Given the amount of people out spectating on Monday there is an audience to watch it, but it's expensive to do properly. More likely to get coverage like that of Chicago marathon, all human interest, little race coverage (because you can do human interest from fixed points on the race)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RayCun wrote: »

Given the amount of people out spectating on Monday there is an audience to watch it, but it's expensive to do properly. More likely to get coverage like that of Chicago marathon, all human interest, little race coverage (because you can do human interest from fixed points on the race)

Yeah but, if they're all at home watching it...who is going to be out supporting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah but, if they're all at home watching it...who is going to be out supporting it?

We'll pray for rain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

bbability wrote: »
    tunney wrote: »
    Who is going to watch it?

It means alot to you so you want it on TV. It means nothing to most, and even those that did it would never ever watch it.

And it if WAS televised the coverage would stop around 2:35 in after the first lady.

Consider the amount of air time GAA gets in this country vs the level of National Participation:

By3NEugCAAAqAd6.png
    https://twitter.com/sportireland/status/517295014465249280/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Basster wrote: »
    Yesterday feels like a strange dream at this point.

I was on 3.08/09 pace until 36km or so.. started to feel very weak, slowed a lot, walked a bit. I really was in pieces. Was more or less carried by volunteers (I think?) the final 1 or 2km.
    All the HTFU in the world doesn't help when your head's rolling and you can barely stand. Collapsed over the line. Ended up on an ambulance trolley, apparently in the section for particularly fvcked people in the med tent. Was semi conscious for about two hours while the drip did its work. Woke up every now and then to yack my guts up, the ambulance people were the most heroic people I saw during the day. Gave me about three rounds of anti-vomit drugs. Ended up finishing in 3.18 but I'm still pretty shaken today.

Thought I was good for sub 3:10, the 1:27 half was comfortable and I'd trained consistently and carefully for months. I had the busiest month of my working life in October. Couldn't have helped. Or maybe my target was too ambitious. Or maybe I didn't drink enough. Or maybe...who knows. Will be hard to come back from this one.

Jeez Basster that sounds awful. Such a shame after all your training. Hope you feel ok soon.

AKW wrote: »
    Consider the amount of air time GAA gets in this country vs the level of National Participation:

By3NEugCAAAqAd6.png
    https://twitter.com/sportireland/status/517295014465249280/photo/1

Consider the amount of air time Emmerdale gets but who has ever been to Yorkshire?

Strawman there Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Consider the amount of air time Emmerdale gets but who has ever been to Yorkshire?

Strawman there Sean

Nobody goes there so they have to bring Yorkshire to the masses :D

I think GAA gets such a disproportinate level of coverage and funding. Often remarked at the county games in empty stadiums and think of the facilities that could have been provided with the money.

Such a shame to see a one sided approach to local facilities by one organisation, would be brilliant if the various organisations worked together to bring superb athletics AND national games facilities into each area.

AKW wrote: »
    Nobody goes there so they have to bring Yorkshire to the masses :D

I think GAA gets such a disproportinate level of coverage and funding. Often remarked at the county games in empty stadiums and think of the facilities that could have been provided with the money.

Such a shame to see a one sided approach to local facilities by one organisation, would be brilliant if the various organisations worked together to bring superb athletics AND national games facilities into each area.

You know as i do that the "organisations" you talk about are really just grass roots volunteers. And by and large the funding is volunteer raised.
    And that the "local facilities" are by and large purchased by the local clubs using money they raise themselves.

And the local clubs are better organised than some NGBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Jeez Basster that sounds awful. Such a shame after all your training. Hope you feel ok soon.

Thanks SB. Feeling a good bit better, and I'm not sulking as much! Still a bit shaken all the same. I'd have to say it was a bad case of dehydration, in hindsight I really didn't drink enough. Anyway, back on the bike at the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

The Dublin Marathon people have tweeted that, but nothing is showing up on their schedule and there has been no publicity about it.

I wonder is it going to happen at all? Did people see TV cameras out and about on the Monday?

In the old days of independent television coverage, highlights were on either that night or the night afterwards on TV3/Setanta, and then repeated a few times after that. That was a good offering and should have been kept going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

The Dublin Marathon people have tweeted that, but nothing is showing up on their schedule and there has been no publicity about it.

I wonder is it going to happen at all? Did people see TV cameras out and about on the Monday?

In the old days of independent television coverage, highlights were on either that night or the night afterwards on TV3/Setanta, and then repeated a few times after that. That was a good offering and should have been kept going.
    AKW wrote:

So impressive when you go somewhere like Germany and you see all the multi-sports venues that share their facilities in almost every town.

Advertisement