Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM

Options
  • 21-08-2014 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭

I know theres probably a thread over on the athletics forum but they're smelly and I dont like them

So heres the triathlon marathon thread, something to keep me looking in here.
    Anyone doing the 10 miler on Saturday in the park?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Down for it, but not sure will get to do with with travel

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ray o

tunney wrote: »
    Down for it, but not sure will get to do with with travel

I smell fear!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ray o

I was hoping to have a see who collapses first competition with Dave but i'll be there anyway.

ray o wrote: »
    I was hoping to have a see who collapses first competition with Dave but i'll be there anyway.

I'll have a go bag packed before I head to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Yep, I'm doing it. Nice not having to worry about wetsuits, bikes, the ever-present risk of drowning for a change..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Yep, in. My annual attempt at sub 3 continues...... (3:09 last year). Biggest concern is trying to stay injury free in the lead up. Can never seem to manage it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Id love to be doing it but may wait till closer to the end of september and see how the legs and funds are faring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ructions

I plan on doing it and it's going to be my first marathon. Just wondering how long is the longest you would run in your training LSR. Currently I'm on 17km and plan on building that to 30km over the next few weeks. Try also to do a speed session during the week. This usually entails me going flat out for 5km or so. Is there another session that I should be doing maybe another 10/15km and keep this the same distance all the way up to the marathon? This one is more about just getting the distance done and time doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I'm planning on the half and the full marathon. It'll be my 15th overall so might gracefully retire after that

ructions wrote: »
    I plan on doing it and it's going to be my first marathon. Just wondering how long is the longest you would run in your training LSR. Currently I'm on 17km and plan on building that to 30km over the next few weeks. Try also to do a speed session during the week. This usually entails me going flat out for 5km or so. Is there another session that I should be doing maybe another 10/15km and keep this the same distance all the way up to the marathon? This one is more about just getting the distance done and time doesn't bother me.

There are numerous different opinions on what distance you should be covering in advance. I topped at our approx 33/34k last year but only managed one of these due to injury. Some coaches go by time on your feet -i.e. 2h45m as a longest run. If you plan on being out for 5 hours, that is not a great way to prepare.

If you are not concerned about time, then I wouldn't worry about speed work to be honest. It's the long run that is key to getting around. If you are looking for a time then perhaps look at introducing a tempo run also - a run at slightly faster than marathon pace, increasing in duration week on week. I peaked at 75 mins tempo last year but again opinions/goals vary greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I am in for the 10 mile and the half in September. A different marathon on October 25th which lines up nicely with the DCM series.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Currently debating entry for this and looking for a bit of advice.

Planning on Rebel Tour 160km sportive in mid September and due to cycling/swimming my current run mileage is only about 15 km per week (one 10k and one 5k at race pace). To get to the DCM start line I would need to jump straight in at about 15km and build. Is it inadvisable to do a long run and long cycle in the same weekend for a few weeks to get the training in for both? Would you do the long run the day before the long cycle?

Also, do kms on the bike translate well to the run (i.e. could I get away with one mid-week tempo run and one weekend LSR?)

Currently debating entry for this and looking for a bit of advice.

Planning on Rebel Tour 160km sportive in mid September and due to cycling/swimming my current run mileage is only about 15 km per week (one 10k and one 5k at race pace). To get to the DCM start line I would need to jump straight in at about 15km and build. Is it inadvisable to do a long run and long cycle in the same weekend for a few weeks to get the training in for both? Would you do the long run the day before the long cycle?

Also, do kms on the bike translate well to the run (i.e. could I get away with one mid-week tempo run and one weekend LSR?)

Depends, what is your aim for the marathon (just get around, <X hrs, etc.) and where do it relate to your current ability?

Finishing would be the priority, but I would ideally like to go sub 4 hours.

Current ability is just under 20 min for 5 km and 42 min for 10km

Did the HIM last year with a 2hr half marathon, but have previously finished a standalone half in 1:42.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Finishing would be the priority, but I would ideally like to go sub 4 hours.

Current ability is just under 20 min for 5 km and 42 min for 10km

Did the HIM last year with a 2hr half marathon, but have previously finished a standalone half in 1:42.
    You have speed, you lack* endurance. Your long runs are definitely the most important aspect of your training. Sub 4 will be a doddle though.
    *this being a relative thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

There is not much training involved in getting around a 160km sportive, its just a normal cycle for most. There is however training required to run a marathon to make sure its not a completely miserable experience. Frequency of runs should increase and build the long run up over the next 8 weeks.

I have a good few doing the marathon this year and the key sessions are a longer midweek paced run at M pace, intervals at T pace and a combination of building the long run but introducing some M pace running, the rest is all easy runs.

There is not much training involved in getting around a 160km sportive, its just a normal cycle for most. There is however training required to run a marathon to make sure its not a completely miserable experience. Frequency of runs should increase and build the long run up over the next 8 weeks.

I have a good few doing the marathon this year and the key sessions are a longer midweek paced run at M pace, intervals at T pace and a combination of building the long run but introducing some M pace running, the rest is all easy runs.

Thanks all for the replies. I assume M is marathon and T is tempo? So with 4 runs a week for example, weekend would be long slow run with one midweek slow run and maybe a tempo interval session or 2 midweek?

Yeah, the cycle should be straightforward enough I imagine. I should really start getting the long running miles in at the weekend to give my body time to adapt.

+1 on building your endurance and the speed will come.
    I concentrated too much on speed last year and had a fantastic first 8 miles followed by 18 miles of shuffling.

My current plan is time based so it's 1 x 45 min intervals of varying lengths, 1 x 45 mins tempo of longer lengths, 2 x 30-40 minute recovery days with a long run of up to 2.5 hours extending the length of time at the end at race pace as I go so before tapering I'll be doing 2 hours of race pace.

You should be fine for sub 4 based on your standalone times so long as you have the endurance built up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

It would be better to put on a back pack and go for a 5 hour walk in the wick lows but I can't see anything wrong with a 2.45 run It's a long run and it builds fitness and this is obviously what a 5 hour marathon guy needs any walking and sport will make those guys fitter and they will lose weight ;)
    EC1000 wrote: »
    There are numerous different opinions on what distance you should be covering in advance. I topped at our approx 33/34k last year but only managed one of these due to injury. Some coaches go by time on your feet -i.e. 2h45m as a longest run. If you plan on being out for 5 hours, that is not a great way to prepare.

If you are not concerned about time, then I wouldn't worry about speed work to be honest. It's the long run that is key to getting around. If you are looking for a time then perhaps look at introducing a tempo run also - a run at slightly faster than marathon pace, increasing in duration week on week. I peaked at 75 mins tempo last year but again opinions/goals vary greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Are many people doing the half at the weekend? If so, for those doing DCM, what will your approach be?
    I'm hoping to set out slightly slower than I did for the 10 miler and aim for even splits. I've no interest in doing it as a training run / MP so looking forward to giving it a good bash.

• Advertisement

Basster wrote: »
    Are many people doing the half at the weekend? If so, for those doing DCM, what will your approach be?
    I'm hoping to set out slightly slower than I did for the 10 miler and aim for even splits. I've no interest in doing it as a training run / MP so looking forward to giving it a good bash.

Yup. Doing it.

Suffer little Piggie is the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Doing it also, racing it, hopefully it'll give me a gauge for the full cause I've no idea
    Plan is to go at LT and see how I get on

Plan was to race this but been sick since DCT and antibiotics are wearing off in horrible fashion. The last week has been one long fart so will be plodding round this one to get the distance back up. Apologies for anyone behind me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

What are the pro/cons of doing it as an mp/racing it?

From previous years racing the half, it's a good gauge of where you are at in terms of the full. Obviously a sub 1:30 half won't translate into a sub 3 full but you'll get a feel for racing. Also racing it at your mp in a crowd is decent practice. And finally the course can be tough, a lot tougher than the full marathon course. It's always an idea when running this half at mp that you are 5 weeks away from the main event. It's an indication of how your training is coming on rather than a stick to beat yourself with if it doesn't work out as half your hoped/trained for marathon goal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Yes I'm in also, first time back there in 3/4 years

Figure I'm not far off PB shape. Though high 75's might be a bit of an ask as travelling all week and not arriving home till Fri night
    At least conditions look good.

How did the half go yesterday for anyone? Had to drop out at the last minute with baby/wife issues. Ran my own half last night to get the practice in

Abhainn wrote: »
    Yes I'm in also, first time back there in 3/4 years

Figure I'm not far off PB shape. Though high 75's might be a bit of an ask as travelling all week and not arriving home till Fri night
    At least conditions look good.

Good running yesterday Abhainn

Cheers. Ive been in slightly better shape in the past and ran slower due to conditions and course.
    Nice one yourself. Your on the way back now and about time too.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I think I can go a lower on a faster course.
    Nice one yourself. Your on the way back now and about time too.

Advertisement