Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year off topic 2014/15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 AoifeFaa

peekachoo wrote: »
    We tormented the lidl twitter page for the recipe but they were having none of it :pac:

Oh give me a few weeks and I'll be well acquainted with the staff between cookies and drink ;)

Sorted so ;) - It'll be our mission!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 AoifeFaa

magicianz wrote: »
    The college itself recommends having a full day between moving in and your orientation! I.e. Orientation on a Wednesday? Move in Monday! It's to allow you to settle a little bit, get a feel for the house, the area, the city, etc.

Orientation for Irish students will start on August 28th, so every night students will meet outside the student centre, the big glass front building with the cafe's and bar, to go to a pub with other students and peer supporters! If you want, you can join up with them and get to know other people before your own orientation, if yours isn't until a later date. If you're on the first day, then you know the time and plan for the rest of Orientation which will run until Thursday 4th Sept.! :)

Thanks very much :) That sounds like a plan. My orientation is on the 4th and I can move into my accommodation from the 1st so I guess that works out :) That's reassuring though, thanks a bunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

AoifeFaa wrote: »
    Thanks very much :) That sounds like a plan. My orientation is on the 4th and I can move into my accommodation from the 1st so I guess that works out :) That's reassuring though, thanks a bunch :)

No problem at all! I don't have the timetables on me at the moment, but usually they've met at 8pm for the last few years outside the big glass building! If you want more info, drop up to campus and explore a bit on the 1st or 2nd, find someone in a red shirt (Peer Support Leader) and ask them what the story is with the class party that night. :)

And stay away from the O' Rahilly Building, lest ye be lost to us for a decade! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Is black board where we get our time table and notes ? It told me access denied a few days ago ?
    Why about book lists ? Are they given out by our lecturers ?
    Complete newb here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Is black board where we get our time table and notes ? It told me access denied a few days ago ?
    Complete newb here

You get your timetable separately in class usually(or you should be able to get it online).

Blackboard has lecturers notes. Book lists are given out by lecturers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Must we actually buy books or do we do recommended reading from the library? Again, compete Noob here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Must we actually buy books or do we do recommended reading from the library? Again, compete Noob here

from what i can understand journals are in thing. not many books

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    from what i can understand journals are in thing. not many books

Ok, what's a journal? :P

er, i'm not sure what they are either, but friends of mine have mentioned them. it what they used instead of 1 the internet and 2 books for class. unless there pulling my leg, i really hope not

er, i'm not sure what they are either, but friends of mine have mentioned them. it what they used instead of 1 the internet and 2 books for class. unless there pulling my leg, i really hope not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

A journal is where academics and researchers publish all their work. Very important in a science degree to be reading papers from journals, not sure if they're used much in other degrees. I wouldn't recommend buying books either unless completely necessary, the library will have copies and you won't actually use a book in a lecture, just for your own study at home.

ciaradx wrote: »
    A journal is where academics and researchers publish all their work. Very important in a science degree to be reading papers from journals, not sure if they're used much in other degrees. I wouldn't recommend buying books either unless completely necessary, the library will have copies and you won't actually use a book in a lecture, just for your own study at home.

Thank you :) But what if the library only has a few books? How does that work out for studying?
    Sorry I'm so confused :P

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Thank you :) But what if the library only has a few books? How does that work out for studying?
    Sorry I'm so confused :P

No problem! The library stocks lots of copies of popular books (e.g. first year science) that you can borrow for a few weeks at a time and you can reserve them too so that once someone takes it back, it will be held for you. You could share the book with someone too if you wanted. To be honest, I moved away from textbooks after first year and used journal papers and lecture notes for all my study. With science the textbooks can have outdated information because science moves so quickly. Don't worry too much about it though, studying in college is a bit different than in school but you'll just need to figure out what works for you! :)

ciaradx wrote: »
    No problem! The library stocks lots of copies of popular books (e.g. first year science) that you can borrow for a few weeks at a time and you can reserve them too so that once someone takes it back, it will be held for you. You could share the book with someone too if you wanted. To be honest, I moved away from textbooks after first year and used journal papers and lecture notes for all my study. With science the textbooks can have outdated information because science moves so quickly. Don't worry too much about it though, studying in college is a bit different than in school but you'll just need to figure out what works for you! :)

Thanks a million that really helps :) Yeah journals would contain the most recent information thinking about it :D

Dentsoc says that there is a book sale in cuh . It says you will be emailed about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fudge dice

Has anybody been able to access blackboard? It keeps telling me access denied??

Fudge dice wrote: »
    Has anybody been able to access blackboard? It keeps telling me access denied??

Same here . Perhaps you must fully register first .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Complete newb here

In general you don't need books, because the lecturer sets the exam their notes are by far the most relevant, in the vast majority of the time the notes will explain it enough, take a book out from the library, if after a while you find you're always taking out the same book then buy it, but don't go running out straight away and buy a load of expensive books that look nice on a shelf but are never used!

In general you don't need books, because the lecturer sets the exam their notes are by far the most relevant, in the vast majority of the time the notes will explain it enough, take a book out from the library, if after a while you find you're always taking out the same book then buy it, but don't go running out straight away and buy a load of expensive books that look nice on a shelf but are never used!

Great advice thanks .

good luck to the mature students in here who are going to registration. see you there :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Velvet Daffy

From my class in school we have someone studying medicine , dentistry , nutritional science , nursing and occupational therapy, all in ucc. We have enough people to open our own clinic :P

Also I call the position of official cookie taster .

So... I'm hearing talks of cookies...where do I sign...

So... I'm hearing talks of cookies...where do I sign...

The cookies shall be at the meet up :)

Have we a date for our meet up?

Not yet.. but it will have cookies and fun!

Myself and Eoghan are both in on the 4th if that is any good to anyone

I'm on the 1st, but we're all there for freshers week!

I will be the guy screaming Marco

I'll be the one screaming HELP! I'M LOST!

At least we know how to identify each other :P

• Advertisement

I think we'll be the best of friends :')

Advertisement