Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards representative of society in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

gladrags wrote: »
    Your response comes across as based on fear.1984 and all that.

There's nothing to be scared of, just take the tub of Vaseline and enter the booth, someone will be with you in a minute...

The revenue bit is scaremongering,I pay my taxes,do you?

Yes, I d... Wait a minute, you don't work for Revenue, do you?

Thanks for responding,btw if this site is so restrictive,why did you register?

Just get in the booth and all your questions will be answered :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

JupiterKid wrote: »
    No is the answer.

A look at poll results on Boards and that among the general populace shows that Boards is not representative of Ireland as a whole by any means. Boards tends to be dominated by younger people (under 40) and skewed towards young males in particular.

we'll grow up eventually though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 funny_fecker

From my experience the more conservative and right-wing posters (though not all of course) tend to be more obnoxious and aggressive which usually results in a ban.

The reason more liberal posters don't get banned is because ideologically they're less likely to say something racist, or sexist, or homophobic which isn't allowed on Boards.

they are less likely to get banned because they and the crowd who run the joint are like minded

newmug wrote: »
    Its all about the moderation. You can say what you like, but if it goes against the main opinion of the thread, YOU'RE the bad guy. The minority viewholder always gets the ban.

the minority being conservatives ( of any shade )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Its all about the moderation. You can say what you like, but if it goes against the main opinion of the thread, YOU'RE the bad guy. The minority viewholder always gets the ban.

So given all the nasty stuff you've called and insinuated about gay people, you're surprised and can't believe that you're the bad guy, because you think you're not?

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I find that a lot of boards users are very humanitarian, or at least try to appear that way. I certainly do not witness it in real life to the same degree. Saying that, you also get some real extreme people on here who seem to have a raging hard on for twisted draconian style justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    So given all the nasty stuff you've called and insinuated about gay people, you're surprised and can't believe that you're the bad guy, because you think you're not?

Wow.

His comment about whether someone can trust a gay babysitter seems like something you'd hear from "Occupy Paedophilia".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Like others have said, I sure hope not.

Some of the opinions and views made on here are absolutely mind blowing in their ignorance and stupidity.

Sometimes you're the bad guy because you think and say bad things. Unacceptable things in the 21st century.

Sometimes you're the bad guy because your opinions are just bad opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'd say it skews more towards socially liberal/left-wing in terms of numbers, while the number of people with more extreme right-wing views is more than in the gen pop too. In other words the hard left is underrepresented and the moderate right is too.

I think one of the issues with this is that the minority opinion holder quite often starts to get frustrated and feel like they're picked on, and posts in anger. They end up making personal attacks, criticising moderation on thread etc. and that lands them with a ban

• Advertisement

Macavity. wrote: »
    I find that a lot of boards users are very humanitarian, or at least try to appear that way. I certainly do not witness it in real life to the same degree. Saying that, you also get some real extreme people on here who seem to have a raging hard on for twisted draconian style justice.

much of the time , thats more about trying to appear trendy , uttering liberal platitudes costs little

Candie wrote: »
    Sometimes you're the bad guy because you think and say bad things. Unacceptable things in the 21st century.

Sometimes you're the bad guy because your opinions are just bad opinions.

what is " bad " depends on the arbiter of opinion , it appears around here that that arbiter is very much strongly left wing

much of the time , thats more about trying to appear trendy , uttering liberal platitudes costs little

I often find that the people who say this kind of thing are the people who just assume everyone is the same as they are.

People very often have well thought out opinions that they hold dear, not just to be trendy. The ones with the knee jerk reaction type opinions are the one's who don't think things through.

I'd say it skews more towards socially liberal/left-wing in terms of numbers, while the number of people with more extreme right-wing views is more than in the gen pop too. In other words the hard left is underrepresented and the moderate right is too.

I think one of the issues with this is that the minority opinion holder quite often starts to get frustrated and feel like they're picked on, and posts in anger. They end up making personal attacks, criticising moderation on thread etc. and that lands them with a ban

the hard left is grossly over represented on boards

the right of centre is grossly underrepresented

I often find that the people who say this kind of thing are the people who just assume everyone is the same as they are.

People very often have well thought out opinions that they hold dear, not just to be trendy. The ones with the knee jerk reaction type opinions are the one's who don't think things through.

perhaps but boards.ie is for the most populated by studenty types who are not only pretty fickle in their views , they tend to be influenced by what they heard to be " correct " in college or in the media , college lecturers and journalists in this country are overwhelmingly liberal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Poo disguised in liberal platitude clothing. In AH at any rate. Always remind yourself you're in AH when posting in AH. I'm a high brow member of Irish society offline you know:):rolleyes:

the hard left is grossly over represented on boards

the right of centre is grossly underrepresented

Buddy, you ain't met the hard left if you think it's over-represented on here. Unless you think anything left of you is the hard left?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Buddy, you ain't met the hard left if you think it's over-represented on here. Unless you think anything left of you is the hard left?

I think it's more like anyone to the left of Marc Coleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well sometimes when It's hard it goes a lil bit left

sinn fein

PBP

those types have a loud voice on this site

the strong support for the state , beit in terms of the near unconditional love towards the guards and general enthusiasm for public sector workers in general , all adds up to a statist outlook

• Advertisement

I think it's more like anyone to the left of Marc Coleman.

In fairness, he's a dirty hippie compared to some of the more extreme right wing stuff you see on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

People very often have well thought out opinions that they hold dear, not just to be trendy.

I honestly think people type what their intentions are, but when push comes to shove they behave in another way. I know a lot of people who would talk as if they're very moral but act a whole lot differently, it's easy to say certain things but harder to follow them through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

There's only about half a dozen Shinnerbots on Boards, but's it's amazing how they'll all turn up in certain threads and engage in a big circle-jerk of thanking each other's posts.

Ah yes, 'Shinnerbots'. Shinnerbot is the word that's employed in a failed attempt to control the narrative by would-be censors and proto-fascists.

In broad terms using the word shinnerbot is 'poisoning the well'. Here's a perfect example of it being employed pre-emptively by one of boards' 'newest' *cough*, and most vocal, anti-Republican/Nationalist obsessives.
    Davarus Walrus.
    Shinnerbots to your keyboards.
    boards.ie

Here is the mod team's warning (given in the OP of the thread the above post appears in) about using the term.
    humanji
    MOD: Labelling people who disagree with you as "Shinnerbots" is not going to be tolerated here any more. If that's the extent of you debating skills then it's best that you just don't post anything.
    boards.ie

So what's on display here, if we follow the paranoid conspiratorial line espoused above, is that the shinnerbot 'mother brain' has, by her thoughts alone, gained control of the mods so that they too become drones in this grand conspiracy.

So, in summary, what's revealed is not a 'shinnerbot' conspiracy to control discussion but, on the contrary, an attempt to protect, often unwittingly, a purposefully crafted anti-Republican/nationalist narrative that is not a conspiracy but a well documented fact (See: Section 31 censorship and the resulting chilling effect).

sinn fein

PBP

those types have a loud voice on this site

the strong support for the state , beit in terms of the near unconditional love towards the guards and general enthusiasm for public sector workers in general , all adds up to a statist outlook

The fact that you're using love for the gards as proof of the over-representation of the hard left is confirming my hunch tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

perhaps but boards.ie is for the most populated by studenty types who are not only pretty fickle in their views , they tend to be influenced by what they heard to be " correct " in college or in the media , college lecturers and journalists in this country are overwhelmingly liberal

Yes, all that maths and statistics in college is turning the entire class liberal.

One time we were learning about digital signal processing and the lecturer told us how we should all be marrying the same sex and having abortions. We can only agree with them and not think for themselves unlike the poor creatures that complain they are the bad guys when they call homosexuals weirdos.

I recommend you learn how colleges work from somewhere that isnt Fox "News"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

anyone who thinks boards.ie is right wing , must be to the left of ivana bacik

They would all right! Don't know what that had to do with my post at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Yes is the answer. There are a lot of freaks and weirdos on boards, just as there are a lot of freaks and weirdos in real life. I'm both a freak and a weirdo myself. The mods on here tho are on another level to life on this, or any other, planet... and not in a higer being good sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Vanolder wrote: »
    Yes is the answer. There are a lot of freaks and weirdos on boards, just as there are a lot of freaks and weirdos in real life. I'm both a freak and a weirdo myself. The mods on here tho are on another level to life on this, or any other, planet... and not in a higer being good sort of way.

I wouldn't trust the judgement of a freak weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd imagine the couldn't give a ****e-ists are under represented, they're not going to join themselves, not really interested in news,current affairs,politics, economics (except in a small way their own), Social issues (someone should do something) ,community (someone should so something) .environment, or much else really. Except maybe ... Pigeons ...or not.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Taking boards.ie as the 'city' in the context of this quote from the movie taxi driver makes food for thought:Travis Bickle: I think someone should just take this city and just... just flush it down the ****in' toilet.

Advertisement