Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards representative of society in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

LiveIsLife wrote: »
    Don't agree at all. I'm from a rural area, and most of my friends aren't homophobic. Couple are but to say most men are is way off the mark. I actually see a trend where straight lads try to act camp

I wouldn't call the old farmers where I am homophobic either but they would just see same sex marriage as kind of absurd. I mentioned going to a civil partnership last year and one old boy couldn't get his head around it at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    :confused:

I'm getting upset?

Right. Well you're honestly a baffling man altogether.
    Nice passive-aggression m8 8.5/10.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Gay people are weridos? Do you live in the arse end of rural county kerry or something?
    Sounds like you're the one getting upset

Yea lads, yiz are getting upset. Enough with the personal jibes, I didn't insult you's. It seems like I hit a nerve. But if I offended, I apologise. I'm only passing on what I see in daily life, not saying I agree with it.

But look, you have to take this on board. The consensus of the thread is that NO, boards does NOT represent irish society - except when it comes to homosexuality? Eh, no. And the more you argue, the more you're proving my point.

Do this quick little test. Of all the pubs in Ireland, how many are gay pubs? In your average dunes or penny's, there's a men's section and a women's section. Where's the T section? Of any parents here, honest answer, would you leave your kids with a gay babysitter?

I'm not condoning these views, I'm merely answering the question and pointing these things out. Once again, I'm not agreeing with these views, I'm just highlighting them. I think everyone should be treated equally, and with respect. I'm just saying that the mood towards SF, atheism, LGBT, computer nerds and abortion are the polar opposite on boards than I have experienced them in real life.

Zaph wrote: »
    Even ignoring the totally bizarre assertion that any of the above are in the weirdo category, how is homosexuality in any way similar to tattoos or piercings that it could be lumped in with them in the same sweeping statement? :confused:

Again, I'm just saying, that's the prevailing attitude in real life Ireland. Not saying it's MY view, or that I agree with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

You must be a tracksuit wearer. How's your pit bull and son Wayne?

Yawn.

You're crap at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

newmug wrote: »
    Yea lads, yiz are getting upset. Enough with the personal jibes, I didn't insult you's. It seems like I hit a nerve. But if I offended, I apologise. I'm only passing on what I see in daily life, not saying I agree with it.

But look, you have to take this on board. The consensus of the thread is that NO, boards does NOT represent irish society - except when it comes to homosexuality? Eh, no. And the more you argue, the more you're proving my point.

Do this quick little test. Of all the pubs in Ireland, how many are gay pubs? In your average dunes or penny's, there's a men's section and a women's section. Where's the T section? Of any parents here, honest answer, would you leave your kids with a gay babysitter?

I'm not condoning these views, I'm merely answering the question and pointing these things out. Once again, I'm not agreeing with these views, I'm just highlighting them. I think everyone should be treated equally, and with respect. I'm just saying that the mood towards SF, atheism, LGBT, computer nerds and abortion are the polar opposite on boards than I have experienced them in real life.

Again, I'm just saying, that's the prevailing attitude in real life Ireland. Not saying it's MY view, or that I agree with it.

Bollox, you are condoning those views, because they are your views. Do you think we're stupid and don't remember your input on these kinds of threads regarding these topics?

And you did mean to insult. You basically put me in the 'weirdo category'. Don't feign innocence here.

In all honesty I believe you've a highly skewed idea of the population outside of boards. That's really evident in your posts here.

Edit: and look who thanked your post -my point exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

A lot of older people think of gay people as weirdos but those older people don't make up the entire population.

• Advertisement

Magaggie wrote: »
    A lot of older people think of gay people as weirdos but those older people don't make up the entire population.

Plus they're only going to get replaced by us, so they're a dying breed anyway.

There's a huge cultural disparity between the older population here compared to other countries. Ireland went from being very poor and uneducated, to wealthy and extremely educated in a very short timeframe. Our views and ideals are worlds apart now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I think too for a lot of older people it's the idea of marriage more than the being gay itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

When I read this kind of stuff I think I must be really picky with who I hang around with.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    When I read this kind of stuff I think I must be really picky with who I hang around with.
    It's a weird yearning for the days of yore - when people had to repress their true feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'm just saying that the mood towards SF, atheism, LGBT, computer nerds and abortion are the polar opposite on boards than I have experienced them in real life.

How are you getting an internet reception on Skellig Michael in the 12th Century? :pac:

• Advertisement

There's a huge cultural disparity between the older population here compared to other countries. Ireland went from being very poor and uneducated, to wealthy and extremely educated in a very short timeframe. Our views and ideals are worlds apart now.

Not all older people are like that. My grandmother would always tell my father "I raised you better than that!" when he made racist/homophobic comments and jokes.

I think a lot of people want there to be a lot of homophobic, racist tattoo hating people around. I marched in the Pride parade for the first time this year and there were tonnes of people onlooking, clapping, smiling and waving. I have no doubt there are quite a few horrible people out there, and sometimes they make themselves loudly heard but they want you to think there's far more of them than their really is, because then you'll hide away and disappear. But there's also plenty of good people who want to share their happiness with everyone, without concern for race or sexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm posting from my local (surprise surprise) in the complete backarse of nowhere. There's seven people here, a lesbian couple, a lonely old farmer whose boyfriend died a year ago, the local degenerate gambler, a retired RUC man, the local priest, and me.

Not all country folk are intolerant ignorant ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Not even close.

The lack of real life experience here is stunning at times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

More Ireland bashing IMH. Yes things have changed for the better(thank fcuk), but compared to other countries? What other countries? Being gay in a US high school would be no picnic regardless of the picture Glee spins. Being openly gay in Russia, or Poland, never mind the Middle Eastern countries? Ireland, yes it can always be improved, but we really aren't so bad.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    More Ireland bashing IMH. Yes things have changed for the better(thank fcuk), but compared to other countries? What other countries? Being gay in a US high school would be no picnic regardless of the picture Glee spins. Being openly gay in Russia, or Poland, never mind the Middle Eastern countries? Ireland, yes it can always be improved, but we really aren't so bad.

I know a really well travelled American woman. She's lived in tonnes of countries. She says the same of Ireland, that she's far less likely to hear abuse or comments here. And she's never lived anywhere really strange, all first world countries.

Wibbs wrote: »

Nonsense. I've no interest in 'Ireland bashing'. Ireland now is compatible to many highly developed countries like Denmark, Sweden and Norway -and that's reflected in our quality of life ranking, where we rank in the top 10 globally.

You're completely misunderstanding my point. I'm talking about the big divide between young people and older people here, where we developed so fast we've adopted radically different viewpoints, where the older generation cling onto much more conservative ideals and ideologies, whereas the younger generation are far more educated and open minded.

That will always be the case as one generation gets older and the younger one will supersede it, with newer, more open ideas, but the scale of that happening here is pretty big compared to other European countries.

Take Ireland in the 60s for example; deeply religious and conservative. Look at Ireland 50 years later, the difference is immense.
    Other countries all develop and progress too, but they were always stable, educated, wealthy countries -ie, Sweden, Norway and many others. Their progress has been gradual, but over a long timeframe. Ireland on the other hand pretty much rocketed into the 21st century to meet them.

Yes, America is no glistening beacon for social progression, but in states were social issues are worse, there isn't a massive disparity between the younger and older generation when it comes to their views on the subject -whereas here, there would be. That's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Shinners - rarely get above 15% at electoral events. On boards you'd think they were about to sieze power in a coup!
    Athiests - 84% of Irish people identify as Catholic. This is a FACT, bourne out in the last census. On Boards, you'd think 84% of people were atheist.
    LGBT - Homosexuality, tattoos, piercings etc. seem to be commonplace on Boards. In real life, these things are still well-and-truly in the "weirdo" category. (Maybe not so much the tattoos nowadays, they're seen as more "waster" than "weird" [not MY view, just my observation])
    Computer Nerds - Nerds in general, are a rarity in society. They are obviously going to congregate more on the internet than they would in real life, so maybe that is the truest bit of representation on Boards. Still though, they are on the margain of the margains of society offline.

I'll add another stat to that. Views on abortion. On Boards (and in the Irish media in general), you'd think people were about to bring down the government with the overwhelming demand to legalise abortion up to full term. The reality is, when the govt. were enacting the recent legislation, 5,000 pre-choicers turned out to protest that it didn't go far enough. 80,000 pro-lifers turned out to protest that it went too far. The govt didn't hold a referendum because they knew the bill to legalise abortion would be spectacularly annihilated.

Typical Boardsie v a normal person. Skip to 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY54fnWQ-48

The majority of this post is absolutely BS. It also show your very conservative views, which although somewhat prevelant in Irish society, is no way representative of the majority, thankfully their kept to the small country towns, in the main.

Your attitude regarding tattoos and such is very telling, and again, not representative of the collective. In fact it's quite shocking, and backwards tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Nonsense. I've no interest in 'Ireland bashing'..

I think he was referring to the post you quoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It over represents the following groups:
    Shinners
    Atheists
    LBGT Supporters

Every poll is skewed massively against the normal population

Yes, and it's difficult to have a discussion about the price of potatoes in Portarlington without getting their perspective on it. The Irish language gets quite an airing too. A thread on the womens rugby world cup effectively turned for a while on the cheek of TG4 to give the commentary in Irish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Take Ireland in the 60s for example; deeply religious and conservative. Look at Ireland 50 years later, the difference is immense.
    Other countries all develop and progress too, but they were always stable, educated, wealthy countries -ie, Sweden, Norway and many others. Their progress has been gradual, but over a long timeframe. Ireland on the other hand pretty much rocketed into the 21st century to meet them.
    Grass is greener bollocks IMHO. Even when you take the Scandinavian nations which are very much outliers in Europe on this front, never mind the rest of the world, look at the dates when actual legislation was passed. IIRC Norway only passed same sex marriage as OK legally 3 or 4 years ago. Let's forget them for a second and look at the rest of Europe. Ireland isn't that different. IME albeit as a straight man I've heard more homophobia in the Latin cultures than I've heard here. Outside Europe? Africa, pretty much forget about it. The Middle east? Ditto. Eastern Europe and Russia? Eh... no. The far east is well out of my experience zone but I can't imagine that being openly gay is a picnic in many cultures there.
    Yes, America is no glistening beacon for social progression, but in states were social issues are worse, there isn't a massive disparity between the younger and older generation when it comes to their views on the subject -whereas here, there would be. That's my point.
    Eh... America where the average 20 year old is happy enough to say they believe in god and all that brings with it? There are far more atheists in Ireland who are happy, if not pushy about saying same and who don't give a damn as far as homosexuality is concerned. Liberal is far less a dirty word in Ireland, even outside *gasp* Boards.ie.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I don't think Ireland is as repressed and backward as some people like to (tediously) say it is either, however I gotta agree with Redzer it was far more leaning in that direction only 40 (max.) years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I don't think Ireland is as repressed and backward as some people like to (tediously) say it is either, however I gotta agree with Redzer it was far more leaning in that direction only 40 (max.) years ago.

It really is tedious.

Personally i think the irish are more private or a bit coy, rather than repressed.

It really is tedious.

Personally i thin the irish are more private, or a bit coy, than repressed.
    Exactly. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    Some people seem to think keeping sex private and personal is prudish, which is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Exactly. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    Some people seem to think keeping sex private and personal is prudish, which is just silly.

I don't have any problem with discussing it but i appreciate that it can be nice to keep it private.

Of any parents here, honest answer, would you leave your kids with a gay babysitter?

My parents left me with a gay babysitter on a regular basis, a male one too.

They did this without a second thought, because they understood the difference between a gay person and a paedophile.

Of any parents here, honest answer, would you leave your kids with a gay babysitter?
    furking hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Shinners - rarely get above 15% at electoral events. On boards you'd think they were about to sieze power in a coup!
    Athiests - 84% of Irish people identify as Catholic. This is a FACT, bourne out in the last census. On Boards, you'd think 84% of people were atheist.
    LGBT - Homosexuality, tattoos, piercings etc. seem to be commonplace on Boards. In real life, these things are still well-and-truly in the "weirdo" category. (Maybe not so much the tattoos nowadays, they're seen as more "waster" than "weird" [not MY view, just my observation])
    Computer Nerds - Nerds in general, are a rarity in society. They are obviously going to congregate more on the internet than they would in real life, so maybe that is the truest bit of representation on Boards. Still though, they are on the margain of the margains of society offline.

I'll add another stat to that. Views on abortion. On Boards (and in the Irish media in general), you'd think people were about to bring down the government with the overwhelming demand to legalise abortion up to full term. The reality is, when the govt. were enacting the recent legislation, 5,000 pre-choicers turned out to protest that it didn't go far enough. 80,000 pro-lifers turned out to protest that it went too far. The govt didn't hold a referendum because they knew the bill to legalise abortion would be spectacularly annihilated.

Typical Boardsie v a normal person. Skip to 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY54fnWQ-48

Wow, so much ignorance in one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Have we had the mention of the silent majority yet? Rabid right wingers always think the people who agree with them are silenced, and the nods they get are in agreement, not "I'll do anything to get this boring, controversial fecking nutjob away from me". Just nod that you agree.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,104 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Um...not really much more so than an awful lot of countries. I'd reckon you might be surprised if you took a look at a lot of countries attitudes from 40 years ago.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Have we had the mention of the silent majority yet?
    Neither silent, nor the majority.

Advertisement