Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards representative of society in Ireland?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I suppose you believe that he rose from the dead after three days too?

Oh for Christ's sake grow up.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

feargale wrote: »
    Oh for Christ's sake grow up.

Perfectly legit question?Oh hang on it was a miracle,silly of me to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

And what unexplained mysteries are you referring to oh Seer?

I'm glad you asked.

Miracles happen every day. The miracle of existence being the biggie of them all.

I'm an atheist and I consider myself perfectly normal.Atheism is growing and I believe will outnumber those clinging to traditional religious beliefs within the next twenty years or so.

Subject to correction by Shiraz, I'm sure that by "normal" he meant the general body of people. However, don't let that deter you from taking offence, as you seemingly wish to do.

catallus wrote: »
    I'm glad you asked.

Miracles happen every day. The miracle of existence being the biggie of them all.[/

Every day?I thought that particular biggie came about six thousand years ago when the man in the sky said let there be light.

• Advertisement

How could the "man" be in the "sky" when there was no sky before the light?

How could the "man" be in the "sky" when there was no sky before the

Hey that's what the bible says not me.Are you contradicting the good book?Its straight down to the lad with the pitchfork for you.

Your wilful misreading of ancient texts is appalling.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%201&version=KJV

You really should educate yourself about these things, or have somebody explain it to you if necessary.

Your wilful misreading of ancient texts is appalling.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%201&version=KJV

You really should educate yourself about these things, or have somebody explain it to you if necessary.

Well that old school religion doesn't quite cut it for me as it appears to for you.So I suppose you believe in Noah's Ark too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You're seeing what you want to see Ralf. It's not reality though, but confirmation bias that informs your world view.

On what evidence are you basing this?

Religion is dying out in the western world, slowly but surely. The numbers are falling. That's seen in all polls and surveys. There's been a direct correlation between higher education and lack of faith. Other European countries are already becoming predominantly atheist, and the numbers are only rising. It's undeniable.

I'm 20 years old, very few of my friends are religious, and the ones that say they kind of are, don't even go to mass. We are the majority amongst the young people now, the devout young people are a minority now. It's a result of religion not being so pushed on us, so we're far less likely to independently follow it.

There's a huge amount of cultural Catholics too, they push up the figures, but even then atheism is still growing while catholicism is gradually waning.

You can say it's bias on his part, but that's just hypocritical on yours when the evidence is supporting his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I do think general Irish society is heading towards greater secularisation.Ok so you've immigrant groups like muslims who go against this trend but thats a given.Most young Irish people couldn't care less about religion.

Religion isn't for the young. It is for adults.

No idea what point your trying to make but shure whatever floats your boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It pretty much isn't, why else would they be so interested in bringing the children in so young and controlling the school system?

It's all about belief.

A child will believe whatever they're told, and they're hugely impressionable.

If you tell a 5 year old about Santy, and all he does and can do, and they'll believe you without question -because they're 5.

You try that with a 25 year old and there's no chance of that happening.

It's the same deal with children and religion. Unless you get at them early enough, the chances are they're not going to buy into what you're selling.

But I would agree in one sense. I think you should be able to have a neutral childhood, and when you're old enough and can do enough independent thinking for yourself, then decide if you want to be Muslim, Catholic, or nothing at all.

That's oversimplifying the whole thing.

Grounding children in religious belief is as important as teaching them reading and writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Got banned for a week for insulting Ray D'Arcy, I still stand by my comments however....

What did you say about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

redbuck wrote: »
    Got banned for a week for insulting Ray D'Arcy, I still stand by my comments however....

Oh crap thought I was in the "Did you ever get banned" thread sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    It pretty much isn't, why else would they be so interested in bringing the children in so young and controlling the school system?

It's all about belief.

A child will believe whatever they're told, and they're hugely impressionable.

If you tell a 5 year old about Santy, and all he does and can do, and they'll believe you without question -because they're 5.

You try that with a 25 year old and there's no chance of that happening.

It's the same deal with children and religion. Unless you get at them early enough, the chances are they're not going to buy into what you're selling.

But I would agree in one sense. I think you should be able to have a neutral childhood, and when you're old enough and can do enough independent thinking for yourself, then decide if you want to be Muslim, Catholic, or nothing at all.

That basically, but as the older people get and more educated they are the less chance is they'll be suckered in by fairytales and evidence free beliefs, the church has stuck to it's age old motto: get em while they're young :pac:

Tell a 5 year old the story of the virgin birth and jack and the beanstalk and they'd be hard pressed to tell you which one is supposedly true and which one is a fairytale. spoiler, they both are.

krudler wrote: »
    That basically, but as the older people get and more educated they are the less chance is they'll be suckered in by fairytales and evidence free beliefs, the church has stuck to it's age old motto: get em while they're young :pac:

Tell a 5 year old the story of the virgin birth and jack and the beanstalk and they'd be hard pressed to tell you which one is supposedly true and which one is a fairytale. spoiler, they both are.
    There's a way to debate religious topics, this ain't it.
    !!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

feargale wrote: »
    !!!!!!!!!

What's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Grounding children in religious belief is as important as teaching them reading and writing.

Yeah no. Reading and writing is necessary to continue education.

Being able to read and write should take precedence over religious education.Knowing the story of the loaves and the fishes is harldly going to help them secure future employment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh sure K. That said for many the need for the "spiritual" is strong and remains so. Organised religion may well be on the decline in the west, but other disorganised :) "religion" is still holding sway, whether that be crystals, or yoga, or witches, or angels, or horoscopes, or dreamcatchers, or fast food "Buddhism", or whatever. I reckon that will hold sway for quite the while in the West. As for the rest of the world? Lots of religion, organised or not is still running very strong.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What's your point?

That the thread is now focused on a single issue which is far from OP and the question posed. There's a bucketful of threads for people who want to devote their lives to the God is/god ain't issue. Does this thread have to turn into one of them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 boostenergy

Yes in terms of politics and culture it would be quare accurate.
    People who look down their noses at Ulster Gaels and who think they have the monopoly on Irish culture and heritage, this is best noticeable during st.patricks day discussions.
    Not my sort of people and not the sort of people I would ever mix with in reality, i wouldn't invite them in for a cup of tae and a cream bun anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

It over represents the following groups:

Shinners
    Atheists
    LBGT Supporters
    Computer Nerds

Every poll is skewed massively against the normal population

I would add Cannabis users to that list too. They seem to be prevalent enough on boards and other sites but in Irish society in general, they would appear to be a vocal minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I would add Cannabis users to that list too. They seem to be prevalent enough on boards and other sites but in Irish society in general, they would appear to be a vocal minority.
    Cocaine definitely fuels some of the more arrogant keyboard warriors too.

Advertisement