Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed painters/ scrap collectors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I say that crowd couldn't give less of a toss

Was gonna say the same

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

rushvalley wrote: »
    The best gates I ever bought came out of the back of a transit :cool: . The local coop gates are nothing compared to them and I got 2 gates for the price of one :D I hope he visits again soon I need more gates :P . Still hate the sight of them around the place though as the majority of them are only looking to see whats left out handy to lift.
    if its the same guy he is coming here 20 years, a very honest fella. Only one i buy anything off. Gates are great and good value.

whelan2 wrote: »
    if its the same guy he is coming here 20 years, a very honest fella. Only one i buy anything off. Gates are great and good value.

Where do they get them from tho

Reggie. wrote: »
    Where do they get them from tho
    he gets lorry loads of them and works off it, i will ask him next time. He is sound and if theres any problem he will take whatever it is back

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

ya thats him alright id say...black hair with a tache and a bit fat? I think hes from up your side of the country. Sound enough lad he would chat away to you about anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

one of his clan comes here , dead sound, bought tools etc, no problem

if we were busy would drop off stuff and call back later for payment, often didn't return for 6 - 8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A traveling man came into my yard one time and said that he would paint the sheds for half price if I left him put in a few piebalds for grazing :mad: imagine agreeing to that you could end up with piebalds all over the place and then they might decide to park a few caravans to be near the piebalds :mad:

Sam Kade wrote: »
    A traveling man came into my yard one time and said that he would paint the sheds for half price if I left him put in a few piebalds for grazing :mad: imagine agreeing to that you could end up with piebalds all over the place and then they might decide to park a few caravans to be near the piebalds :mad:

That would be some deal :rolleyes:

jt65 wrote: »
    one of his clan comes here , dead sound, bought tools etc, no problem

if we were busy would drop off stuff and call back later for payment, often didn't return for 6 - 8 weeks
    the first gates my dad bought off him years ago had been filled with sand, " Them's great heavy gates sir" I still slag him when he comes here trying to sell more, he always says " sure i was young and foolish"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Salesman rocked into the yard awhile back on a nice shiny new avensis, very well groomed chap with a shirt and tie, even had a fancy hands free bluetooth earpiece on. Asked me if I wanted the sheds painted. I was busy anyways and took the card off him and send him on his way, was only afterwards when I saw the "OConnors painting and gates" or something that I coped rightly who they were ha. So be aware is all I'll say! Any salesmen who come in uninvited generally get the cold shoulder around here anyways, I'm well able to go out and find someone if I need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A neighbour had a visitor around 6pm this evening. 142 G reg VW Transporter being driven by man claiming to be from waterford. Van had signwriting advertising farm shed painting and repairs. Not what he was calling for though. Trying to sell troughs and buckets for feeding calves. Talk about diversifying!!
    Luckily contractor was in spreading slurry and yer man's van was in the way of tractors leaving the yard so he had to clear off before the "hard sell".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

if the right lad is selling the gates why not buy them.

know a lad who bought 16ft sheep field gates for €70

another client told me 6 feed barriers with the hinges and all for €1000 and he accepted a post dated cheque for 5 months later. you pay minimum 250 up here in the co-op and paid on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wonder where they get all the gates and be able to sell them at those prices?
    Are they rejects from somewhere? I know some of the furniture they sell have patterns that don't quite match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wonder where they get all the gates and be able to sell them at those prices?
    Are they rejects from somewhere? I know some of the furniture they sell have patterns that don't quite match up.

The scam works as follows - gates / feeders / troughs permantly 'borrowed' by visiting people.

Metal sold for scrap. Proceeds of this used to buy new gates etc.

Then 'unrelated' collegue offers other buyers these 'new gates' .

Best described as firm of recycling / money laundering. Seller also has opportunity to case joint.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE BOYOS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

A neighbour had a visitor around 6pm this evening. 142 G reg VW Transporter being driven by man claiming to be from waterford. Van had signwriting advertising farm shed painting and repairs. Not what he was calling for though. Trying to sell troughs and buckets for feeding calves. Talk about diversifying!!
    Luckily contractor was in spreading slurry and yer man's van was in the way of tractors leaving the yard so he had to clear off before the "hard sell".

Im guessing your based in Cork? Same fella called here 142-G VW Transporter.
    Said spraying on the van but he didnt even mention it, was selling calf feeders, troughs then looked at my wellingtons and asked me if i needed a new pair even though there only a month old.. I just said no to everything and he eventually left but no doubt he will be back again.

case885 wrote: »
    Im guessing your based in Cork? Same fella called here 142-G VW Transporter.
    Said spraying on the van but he didnt even mention it, was selling calf feeders, troughs then looked at my wellingtons and asked me if i needed a new pair even though there only a month old.. I just said no to everything and he eventually left but no doubt he will be back again.
    Same chap. Was out around Bandon Clon direction yesterday.Called to my first cousin too yesterday. Was showing him some wellies too. I've escaped so far. Better leave the dog out for the evening. If the gate on top of the lane is closed they don't bother coming in.

Same chap. Was out around Bandon Clon direction yesterday.Called to my first cousin too yesterday. Was showing him some wellies too. I've escaped so far. Better leave the dog out for the evening. If the gate on top of the lane is closed they don't bother coming in.

Yes thats right. Keep the gate closed for a few days id say. He was having a good look around out the van window, seeing if there was anything worth taking i bet.

Probably had an accomplice in the passenger seat. 4 eyes are better than 2!
    I know what they are capable of. 20 years ago few of them came into the yard here on foot. My uncle who was living here at the time had gone out checking cattle but left the door unlocked. Into the front room which was never used and proceeded to dismantle antique furniture. Uncle returned but never realised they were there. They scarpered when they heard him pottering around in the kitchen. It was a week later when I couldn't get into the room that we copped it. They had a bookcase dismantled and were in the process of taking it out the window when they were interrupted. They had jammed a chair under the doorknob so it couldn't be pushed in. They made their escape then. Thundering Fxxkers
    This incident opened the uncles eyes. Never left a door unlocked after till he died.

Probably had an accomplice in the passenger seat. 4 eyes are better than 2!
    I know what they are capable of. 20 years ago few of them came into the yard here on foot. My uncle who was living here at the time had gone out checking cattle but left the door unlocked. Into the front room which was never used and proceeded to dismantle antique furniture. Uncle returned but never realised they were there. They scarpered when they heard him pottering around in the kitchen. It was a week later when I couldn't get into the room that we copped it. They had a bookcase dismantled and were in the process of taking it out the window when they were interrupted. They had jammed a chair under the doorknob so it couldn't be pushed in. They made their escape then. Thundering Fxxkers
    This incident opened the uncles eyes. Never left a door unlocked after till he died.

They were lucky to get out unnoticed, shotgun would be the job for those scumbags. Parents would always leave the back door open, that has changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I just am polite and decline there services. Never had any bother with them. Buy a few tools off some of them. and no there not hot. There just cheap Chinese stuff you can buy from eBay a bit cheaper but sometimes a cheap version of the tool is all you need. even sold a few yokes to them that others would turn there noses up at. I know some are bad but it can be easy to inflame a situation by being rude straight off

• Advertisement

Not much good came from anything sold door-to-door, be that gates, tools or religion (Jehovahs, I don't know why they even bother)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

in this evening with 151 silver transit. cheeky ba####d just plain refused to leave. followed me into a calf shed then. took me ten minutes to get rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Same lad in the Vw sells around Laois all the time. They are two brothers from Wexford and very dodgy fcukers. They asked my nabourgh out onto the road for a chat with a hammer after he refused to buy off them. Very pushy boyos.

They continued down the road & called into a gentleman bachelor who fired sum lead overhead and they haven't been around for a month or two ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

If anyone has a visit from a guy with highway maintenance plastered on his 141 hilux pick up. He advertises shed painting. Stay well away from him. He got deported back to ireland from Austraila recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Feckthis wrote: »
    If anyone has a visit from a guy with highway maintenance plastered on his 141 hilux pick up. He advertises shed painting. Stay well away from him. He got deported back to ireland from Austraila recently.

Was he by any chance doing "roofing" work in Perth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Was he by any chance doing "roofing" work in Perth?
    Not sure what he was at over there but the Aussies didn't want him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Isn't it crazy the way they are allowed deport criminals from one country to the next, without them having to serve time where they committed the crimes.
    Like Wayne Dundon, back in 1997, kicked out of the UK. All he did was attack the elderly. He threw an elderly woman in a wheelchair down a flight of stairs and badly beat another 75-year-old woman while stealing her pension book.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭cjpm

.... All he did was....

All he did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

had a lad up north last weekend , 10 big gates for £1000, think uncle took a few of him, lord knows where they were acquired.

• Advertisement

had a lad up north last weekend , 10 big gates for £1000, think uncle took a few of him, lord knows where they were acquired.

All the more reason people shouldn't support this 'industry' or give these guys the time of day.

Advertisement