Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed painters/ scrap collectors

Options
  • 18-08-2014 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

Had a visit from shed painters this morning. They got some fright when I recognised one of them from school... WELL JERRY HOWS IT GOING!! The stutters from him :D..they went on there way fairly quick

How do you deal with these feckers eh?! Wouldn't of liked if the father was there on his own when they called.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Had it a whole ago. They called about 5 times when the father was there. Father said my don is the boss now and he is not here. That's why he called 5 times trying to ask me. Anyway told him I want interested and in fairness he fecked off.

Shed could off done with the paint though but wouldn't trust him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

sea12 wrote: »
    Had it a whole ago. They called about 5 times when the father was there. Father said my don is the boss now and he is not here. That's why he called 5 times trying to ask me. Anyway told him I want interested and in fairness he fecked off.

Shed could off done with the paint though but wouldn't trust him.

I blame people who let the paint
    No vat no tax etc
    They are no good to the country
    If they wernt getting work they wouldnt be so fond of pouching round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

The word here is NEVER... Never let them paint, never buy gates, never buy tools, do not engage with them in any (friendly!) way.. Do not give them the opportunity to look about..stick a camera up at the entrance of the yard working or otherwise.
    From the time they blow the horn in the yard they are watching.. How quickly someone appeared, the owners manner, age, are they fit, is there a dog , if so is it wicked..and so on, believe me I know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    The word here is NEVER... Never let them paint, never buy gates, never buy tools, do not engage with them in any (friendly!) way.. Do not give them the opportunity to look about..stick a camera up at the entrance of the yard working or otherwise.
    From the time they blow the horn in the yard they are watching.. How quickly someone appeared, the owners manner, age, are they fit, is there a dog , if so is it wicked..and so on, believe me I know what I'm talking about.

You can learn alot from a place in the first few minutes alright

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Even if they're not 'casing the joint' for goodies, paint sprayed on with a fcuk load of thinners is going to wash off with the first shower of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Zoo4m8 wrote: »

Never even be polite, they will take you for a mark. Always let them see you walking around the van for the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

I don't mean to divert from the topic but I've been meaning to ask this question for a while. What would the cost roughly be from a reputable contractor to paint a 3 span lean to round roof hayshed? (Mod might want to start a new thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Satriale wrote: »
    Never even be polite, they will take you for a mark. Always let them see you walking around the van for the number.
    Had one here recently with FALSE number plates.

whitebriar wrote: »
    Had one here recently with FALSE number plates.

Did ya run the plates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Reggie. wrote: »
    Did ya run the plates
    Reported him yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's a lad that went to school with me going round selling insurance door to door, not sure if dodgy or not. Just using the 'old school buddy' speil to cosy up to potential customers.

There's a lad that went to school with me going round selling insurance door to door, not sure if dodgy or not. Just using the 'old school buddy' speil to cosy up to potential customers.

That's a dangerous angle to be using as people will know him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A lot of sheds painted around here in last few years by the johnny boys. What I don't get is why people let them in when they can be so shrewd when it comes to builders contractors etc. Is it the low prices or the sudden loss of ability to say no? Was plagued with the painters here 2 years ago. I have one old round roof shed and leanto thats crying out for a coat of paint. Was like a magnet for them. 3 different crowds called. Giving out flyers putting up signs on poles signs on pickups ads in Journal as well. Landline nos are often bogus. Gave them a tall story about lad working here getting hurt and costing me 70k. No work by outsiders without VAT No and checking out their insurance cover. He knew he was bate then. Can't stand the sight of them in the yard. Had a visit from a local lad looking for a part for vintage plough. His brother has a fondness for diesel. Had agri diesel in locked tank up on stand in yard. He was hardly gone out the gate when I was shifting it indoors. A late night raid was almost a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

what happens if one of these go boys falls off your shed roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Anyone who goes around canvassing for work isnt up to much but chancing his arm. I've seen some of them at work. Would be an attraction in Duffys circus. Two lads holding powerwasher hose while yer man washes lower edges of round roof shed with a 20 ft drop into open slurry pit. Could get interesting if there was an accident alright. Insurance companies wont cover work on ladder over 12ft or something. Scaffold, Hoist, or basket on loader.

whelan2 wrote: »
    what happens if one of these go boys falls off your shed roof?

Its your public liability that gets hit as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Castle paints had an add in journal last week saying to ring them to find a reputable stockist and painting contractor in your area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Just seen a travelling man with cattle trailer on the back of his jeep in town..hardly his own.

Just seen a travelling man with cattle trailer on the back of his jeep in town..hardly his own.

No half cut locks on it or anything

No half cut locks on it or anything

Didn't get that close to it,

• Advertisement

Didn't get that close to it, pulled out of a haunting site.

I'd be more interested in what will be in it later on

I'd be more interested in what will be in it later on

I'd be more interested in what does he need a cattle trailer for

I'd be more interested in what does he need a cattle trailer for

The piebalds

Horse box maybe but not a cattle trailer.

Horse box maybe but not a cattle trailer.

Ah but them boys like to get something that they can "multi task" with

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

The best gates I ever bought came out of the back of a transit :cool: . The local coop gates are nothing compared to them and I got 2 gates for the price of one :D I hope he visits again soon I need more gates :P . Still hate the sight of them around the place though as the majority of them are only looking to see whats left out handy to lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The piebalds

Your not supposed to carry horses in cow boxes, there are different legal requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Its your public liability that gets hit as far as I know

PL won't cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

ganmo wrote: »
    Your not supposed to carry horses in cow boxes, there are different legal requirements.

I say that crowd couldn't give less of a toss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

rushvalley wrote: »
    The best gates I ever bought came out of the back of a transit :cool: . The local coop gates are nothing compared to them and I got 2 gates for the price of one :D I hope he visits again soon I need more gates :P . Still hate the sight of them around the place though as the majority of them are only looking to see whats left out handy to lift.

The only gate we ever got off them has a slanty bolt feckin annoying thing, same gate has gotten some abuse over de years though, the highlight being getting slammed by a wheel off a moffett

Advertisement