Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming ChitChat Ploughs On To Five

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Reggie. wrote: »
    Some park you were at ill take it

It's a 3D Archery course that I'm a member of. Wouldn't be too far from you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Are those "Warriors of Queen Maebh" still out in the woods out your way, Reggie?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Are those "Warriors of Queen Maebh" still out in the woods out your way, Reggie?

They're over not too far outside Longford town. Still as active as ever :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Kovu wrote: »
    Second in as many months. :(
    will you have to test again seeing as how your neighbours went down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Got cattle test done yesterday evening.
    Was no fun given the hail wind and rain, but stock all behaved which helped a bit.
    Saturday will tell the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Got cattle test done yesterday evening.
    Was no fun given the hail wind and rain, but stock all behaved which helped a bit.
    Saturday will tell the story.

Good luck but ya won't need it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan2 wrote: »
    will you have to test again seeing as how your neighbours went down?

I don't know, a guy across the way cleared a lot of scrub and bogland and I reckon new badgers moved up to us after this. Doesn't help that he has new stock there from marts either I guess. Then he went down a short while ago. His land borders land/shed that my neighbours use.

The only dairy guy around is also gone down & a couple of next doors on the outfarm land went down last summer as well. Tick tock :pac:

I reckon we'll have to test but as our cows are very heavy incalf, I'd hope to get some leeway. If we only get a few more weeks we'd have majority of them calved and then if we went down we'd have a full run at the summer to try and get clear again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

I got a high mag mineral bucket it says on it not to give calfs access to it. I was planning on leaving it with sucklers at grass. Hardly do much damage to calves would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Feckthis wrote: »
    I got a high mag mineral bucket it says on it not to give calfs access to it. I was planning on leaving it with sucklers at grass. Hardly do much damage to calves would it?

Can give then kidney trouble I read before. That said, I always leave them out and see calves licking them over the years and never had a problem. Cover them at night so the badgers don't get any kidney trouble either. Wouldn't be fair on the poor divils...

• Advertisement

Will all of ye remind me in future to check the calves head for butts before I go through the effort of heating the burner, getting them out the barrier, up the crush and locked into the gate. Ta. :o

Will all of ye remind me in future to check the calves head for butts before I go through the effort of heating the burner, getting them out the barrier, up the crush and locked into the gate. Ta. :o

*shakes head in disgust*

:D

butts or buds, think the butt is the other end of the animal:)

butts or buds, think the butt is the other end of the animal:)

We say butt cause the other end is an arse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

We say butt cause the other end is an arse :D

Booty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

I hope you do a better job with the dehorning this year than you did last year;):D

tanko wrote: »
    I hope you do a better job with the dehorning this year than you did last year;):D

Ah that adds character! Poor little Kovu likes to be different.

Did your AI man slip in an Angus straw for the craic? :D

Did your AI man slip in an Angus straw for the craic? :D

Unless she's an albino.....;) Might be just a bit young but wanted her done so can let her off out. She's about ten days old and a fcuker of a thing as we can't leave the shed open or she's galloping off resembling a white blur....

eldest lad is in second year, the school gets each kid to run a mile and times them, his year where doing it today, he improved by 3 minutes on last year fastest kid so far did the mile in 4.59. Think its a great idea.

• Advertisement

eldest lad is in second year, the school gets each kid to run a mile and times them, his year where doing it today, he improved by 3 minutes on last year fastest kid so far did the mile in 4.59. Think its a great idea.

A five minute mile is quick. The young lad must be doing a bit of training. Is he with an athletic club do ya know?

A five minute mile is quick. The young lad must be doing a bit of training. Is he with an athletic club do ya know?
    ye, in fifth year. Great for the kids to see an improvement year on year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

ye, in fifth year. Great for the kids to see an improvement year on year

Do they have to do it ? Its good encouragement to keep fit no doubt

This week is some kind of physical activity week in the local school. No usual homework, 40 minutes sports each evening instead. They were swimming Monday and at a hockey tournament today during school hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

This week is some kind of physical activity week in the local school. No usual homework, 40 minutes sports each evening instead. They were swimming Monday and at a hockey tournament today during school hours.

Do your bit for the school Nekarsulm and give them 40 mins picking stones some evening before the week is over :D . Brilliant physical activity

Bullocks wrote: »
    Do your bit for the school Nekarsulm and give them 40 mins picking stones some evening before the week is over :D . Brilliant physical activity

Or ragworth. I see it's beginning to appear here the horrible stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Reggie. wrote: »
    Or ragworth. I see it's beginning to appear here the horrible stuff

Had a good bit in one field last year. I picked it all by hand and noting there this year thank god. Sprayed for docks today and spread fert hopefully I'll have clean fields this year.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Do they have to do it ? Its good encouragement to keep fit no doubt
    ye everyone does it, theres a 400m track up the road from his school. They got split into 4 groups based on last years result. 3 laps of track

That's only 3/4 of a mile :(

• Advertisement

That's only 3/4 of a mile :(
    well maybe its more than 3 laps, they normally do things right. its probably 3 and a half laps or something. My lad was saying he ran 2.5 laps and walked the rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement