Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking your partner's phone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    That's something trivial and accidental. You can't just accidentally snoop through your wife's phone -that's the difference. You're choosing to do it and you're choosing to break the trust. And if you've come to a point where you feel like you can't trust them, you talk to them about it. That's what adults do.

I can't really talk to her indoors bout that stuff and sh!t, so I snoops through her phone innit, hoping she's playin around innit, so Issss can tell her to jog on innit.....
    Jus avin the heart to tell hers am hating her big style, and she's gettin verys hard to look at innit..
    Anyhows ams gonna blames her when we's kicked to dems kerbs innit

BLOOD CLOTH:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Yes, it's a complete invasion of privacy
    Smartphones are pretty much a modern day diary. For the owner & friends & families, everything is there written. I grimace at the thoughts of my husband seeing some of the ridiculous childish things myself and friends talk about in whatsapp groups, or indeed when I've poured my heart out to my BFF about the latest inlaw insult. Same when I think of him seeing the 'advice' I dish out to my friends. I would prefer him not to see my google search history as it would show him the stooooopid things I search for.

I have nothing to hide , I just get embarrassed at the thoughts! Of course the music app and photo app and making calls are fair game, and the odd quick google search but we both know each other's boundaries and respect that. l.

This!! Sometimes he goes to google something on the laptop and one of my previous searches comes up. 'dog in a onesie' or something equally stupid :D So when he asks to google something on my phone I panic a little!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Waveonlake

You're not talking about trust, you're talking about being able to rely on them. It's entirely possible to trust a sieve-headed OH!

A surgeon needs to have trust in his assistants ability to perform their tasks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

This happened to me before and my ex rang an unknown number that had rang me and explained she was my gf and asked why they had rang me.

God, I am glad to be out of that one

probably was a cold caller in the end trying to sell you timeshares

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Skinonskin

I never checked my husband's phone. Trusted him 100%. Wish I did check as I discovered he was having an affair. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Skinonskin wrote: »
    I never checked my husband's phone. Trusted him 100%. Wish I did check as I discovered he was having an affair. :(

Unless your husband was really, really, really fvcking dimwitted, there wouldn't have been anything on his phone to tie him to the affair had you checked it in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I would consider it to be an invasion of privacy theoretically, but also I know that there is nothing of interest on my phone and so as it happens I would not be at all bothered by my wife checking my phone. I don't check hers, nor her email, nor her laptop, and she (as far as I know) never checks mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Herself has one of those smart phones, i cant drive it at all im too thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Checking your partners phone, as in reading their texts and emails, immediately implies that you don't trust them

You either confirm your suspicions or undermine a perfectly healthy relationship when your partner finds out.

And on another note, insecure partners constantly texting, phoning and checking in on you is a guaranteed head wrecker and a major warning sign.

Eventually their insecurity creates a toxic environment.

Get out before it reaches that stage. For your own sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Ugh. Vile behaviour. What exactly would someone be 'checking' for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Katgurl wrote: »
    What exactly would someone be 'checking' for?
    Do people really not get it or just pretending not to know?

Checking for signs of cheating obviously. What else? The lottery numbers?

I don't necessarily approve of it, but neither am I naive enough to believe this "I trust her and that's why I am with her" spiel. Trust is not an on / off switch. I trust my missus but I wouldn't want her sharing a bed with a colleague on a work trip, nor her me, because all of us have occasional weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

conorh91 wrote: »

I don't necessarily approve of it, but neither am I naive enough to believe this "I trust her and that's why I am with her" spiel. Trust is not an on / off switch. I trust my missus but I wouldn't want her sharing a bed with a colleague on a work trip, nor her me, because all of us have occasional weaknesses.

This is really weird to me. I honestly wouldn't waste my life invested in someone that I had any doubt about at all.

This is really weird to me. I honestly wouldn't waste my life invested in someone that I had any doubt about at all.
    So in other words, unless you'd be comfortable with your girlfriend sharing a bed with her ex… it's a waste of time dating her?

Trust is never absolute in the real world. I would question the emotional maturity of anyone who thinks it must be absolute.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't think I've ever checked my partners phone. Not sure if he has checked mine, I leave it lying around so he could easily do so. Unless you have seen some clues that your partner is up to no good and you just want to double check I can't see why you would do it, paranoia at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

To me it shows a complete lack of trust...

(posted from my wife's phone unknown to her)

So in other words, unless you'd be comfortable with your girlfriend sharing a bed with her ex… it's a waste of time dating her?

Trust is never absolute in the real world. I would question the emotional maturity of anyone who thinks it must be absolute.

I don't understand where the leap to her sleeping with her exes came from. I'd trust that she wouldn't want to do that to begin with. If the rest of my life is to be spent second guessing my other half, then yeah, I think it would be a waste of time dating her. The best part of being in a relationship is having someone that you can completely rely on.

Even if it turned out that I had horribly misjudged at a later date, I'd rather proceed on the basis that my judgement is right, because otherwise what is the point?

It's apt that you'd mention emotional immaturity, because I'd usually associate insecurity with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Its hard to find somebody who ticks every single box, for most people. Sometimes you really like somebody but maybe don't 100% trust them and thats something you just live with instead of dumping them because they're not perfect

Perecchi wrote: »
    Do you actually think your partner has no desire to have sex with other men?

Seems like a non sequitur.
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    Its hard to find somebody who ticks every single box, for most people. Sometimes you really like somebody but maybe don't 100% trust them and thats something you just live with instead of dumping them because they're not perfect

Fair enough, I hadn't really thought of it from that perspective. I dunno, I still think you'd be selling yourself short though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Invasion of privacy

I am with the invasion of privacy side. And yes sometimes your partner HAS something to hide. Not on his or her own behalf though.

My friends have secrets and problems they share with me. Some of them they share with my girlfriends too - and they have friends who also share secrets with me.

But sometimes I have friends who are sharing things with JUST me and not the girlfriends. Something they only want to share with me. And I respect their privacy.

The reason my girlfriends NEVER go into my phone or email - or I never into theirs - is not because we might be hiding things from each other - but because we might be nurturing the secrets of others on their trust. An invasion into your partners phone is not therefore just an invasion of privacy into your partner - but also into the privacy of everyone they call "Friend".

And I am just not willing to do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I don't trust anyone 100 %. I believe monogamy is very difficult for humans to stick to therefore I would never trust a human completely to be faithful.

It can be difficult, but I know people who just would not cheat no matter what.

I've never cheated and Ive had lads throwing themselves at me, and I could've gotten away with it fully every time if I wanted to. People can be very much capable of being loyal and monogamous, so I personally wouldn't be in a relationship with somebody I couldn't fully trust.

How do you know your partner doesn't want to have sex with her ex?

I don't understand the relevance of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I doubt most people would be comfortable with their OH sharing a bed with another member of the opposite sex full stop (assuming they're not gay).

On what planet is that normal behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Ppl who think like that should never get married. You should be able to fully trust your spouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

I did have a female friend who after having very personal conversations with her on facebook messaging, then happened to mention that she has an agreement that she and her husband both have access to each other's facebook messaging.

Can't remember the exact reason, but was along the lines that they're such a part of each other's lives and share everything.

Remember feeling that that's all well and good, but well you could've told me before sharing personal stuff with you that I was sharing that with a third party also. Was not too impressed at all.

In this case it was her choice to share access with him, but I don't think it's fair on the other person whose stuff is being read (me in this case), and see it similar in this thread. It's not just about invasion of privacy of your partner, but of those who are having their communications with them read by someone other than the intended party. Complete invasion of privacy for them too.

I don't understand where the leap to her sleeping with her exes came from.
    The let me show you what you have written
    I honestly wouldn't waste my life invested in someone that I had any doubt about at all.
    So, NO doubts "at all"?

You say it's an absolute?

Katgurl wrote: »
    I doubt most people would be comfortable with their OH sharing a bed with another member of the opposite sex full stop (assuming they're not gay).

On what planet is that normal behaviour?
    It isn't normal.

That's the point.

Some small level of distrust is normal and healthy in an adult relationship.

This doesn't extend to routinely checking phones IMO… but claiming that you shouldn't be in a relationship unless there are "no doubts at all" is simply immature.

The let me show you what you have written

So, NO doubts "at all"?

You say it's an absolute?

I know what I've written. Yes I trust her absolutely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 The Lazy Raptor

I don't understand the relevance of the question.

To determine how you determine your level of trust. Trust is a central theme of this thread, it's hard not to see the relevance.

• Advertisement

Yes I trust her absolutely.
    So the answer is that you would have no trust issues about your partner sleeping with her ex, say on a really nice bed, covered in rose-petals in a fancy hotel in Paris, with a complimentary bottle of champagne?

I suggest to you that level of trust is unrealistic among adults.

The standard of trust expected between adults in a relationship is high, or rather, 'very high', but it is not absolute. To claim it is needs to be absolute is simply naive.

Checking phones routinely - No
    Being comfortable with your partner sleeping with her ex - Also No

These are reasonable standards.

Advertisement