Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N Roche out training in Dublin this morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

logik wrote: »
    What price would a bike like that set you back? "Genuine question"

I have heard €15K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    Is indeed, vikings set down on the lakeside also.
    Two viking boats missing off the pier that are tied up........unless its an older photo....defo not today...

Believe it or not the vikings set is gone today - was still there on Monday but not a sign of it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Believe it or not the vikings set is gone today - was still there on Monday but not a sign of it today.

Oh this was a film set? I thought it was some sort of historical re-creation. I wondered how the Vikings would have got their boats up to Lough Tay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

bazermc wrote: »
    I have heard €15K

i heard 20k, but that may have been $$$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

He was hanging on for dear life to my slipstream going up them hills god love him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

It's a McLaren Tarmac, 20,000 USD

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Fugly sloping geometry tho

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What time does Nico go to post and in the interests of fairness does he have to have a jockey on his back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Nico was well beaten by the horse.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Inquitus wrote: »
    What time does Nico go to post and in the interests of fairness does he have to have a jockey on his back?

Beast started 1/3f, Nico was very much the outsider of two; he also had to cycle about 50 yards further, up the ambulance path. Photo finish was fairly conclusive

You can guess the outcome....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

BvBXg0oIEAIAj78.jpg

I wonder woudl Tinkoff be intereted in giving the horse a super dom contract ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

BvBYTo_CQAA7pFT.jpg

MPFG wrote: »
    I wonder woudl Tinkoff be intereted in giving the horse a super dom contract ?

Why not, horses are no strangers to doping!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I passed him on my white Enic racer on my way back from Tescos with the bags on the handlebars... He drafted me for a klic, but I dropped him.

yeah remember Cian O Conner's horse at the Athens Olympics who toke it upon himself to dope without telling anyone ...sounds like he'd fit into the Tinkoff setup no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Ah now dont be like that. The Olympic incident was in Showjumping. Different Sport altogether.
    Every horse that wins a race is dope tested immediately after the race.
    And the last headline story re racehorse trainer was actually for possession of a steroid on which the perscription had elapsed on a random yard inspection. That would be like you having a few tablets left in the drawer but for you its not an offence

Esroh wrote: »
    Ah now dont be like that. The Olympic incident was in Showjumping. Different Sport altogether.
    Every horse that wins a race is dope tested immediately after the race.
    And the last headline story re racehorse trainer was actually for possession of a steroid on which the perscription had elapsed on a random yard inspection. That would be like you having a few tablets left in the drawer but for you its not an offence

Didn't this happen recently enough, a year or so ago?
    Godolphin doping: St Leger winner Encke among seven positive tests

The doping scandal involving Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin operation has widened after seven more racehorses failed tests for anabolic steroids.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/horse-racing/22600972

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Didn't this happen recently enough, a year or so ago?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/horse-racing/22600972

Yes . I hold my hand up. Irish racing would be where my association is so I jumped to defence.

Back to the race . Was it a rolling start for both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Doping is not endemic in horse racing, certainly not in Ireland. Doping scandals have in the main come from stables under Sheikh Mohammad's aegis, he has a lot of yards around the world and there is pressure for results as they are having their asses handed to them by Coolmore/Ballydoye, the O'Brien/Magnier operation down in Tipperary. Not exclusively, but in the modern era. That family are shocking for it in endurance racing also. Sure flat isn't even proper racing anyway :p

Was it a standing start? Also I'm kind of shocked how small Nico is, I thought he'd tower over Smullen. Not so.

MPFG wrote: »
    yeah remember Cian O Conner's horse at the Athens Olympics who toke it upon himself to dope without telling anyone ...sounds like he'd fit into the Tinkoff setup no bother

That was a feeding situation. Also it was a sedative he was given, which is the opposite of what you need to give a show jumper, especially that horse who wasn't mental by any means. I am not a fan o Cian O Connor, he rides like a German and is funded by Mr. Independent to an astonishing degree. ( A similar character in the sport as Oleg but quieter. Same pressure for results though…)He had 'Athens Olympic Gold 2004' on the side of his lorry for years before Athens. He has also had a number of questionable quasi doping situations with hypersensitivity (putting a chill powder derivative, capsicum on the cannon bones/front foreleg of the horse so the forelegs are uber sensitive to poles).

He also made me well up a bit winning that gold medal. Then he lost it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Lets see the horse riding the bike and the jockey on the back of Nico..

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Ah lads, it was a gimmick for charity, twas fun to watch but the thread descends into a discussion about doping; holy jeebus we love to bring the whole tone downwards no matter how cheery or uplifting events can be. Is there an existential crisis afoot or something... I just dunno!

Anyway, Fair play to Gadetra for the clarity re. Sheik Mohammed et al. And yes, Ireland is a world leader in equine sports. Yipeee. One-nil versus cycling tonight. Lets be happy. The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Yeah he looks taller, but he is indeed 5'8" according to his site - http://www.nicolasroche.com/bio/
    178cm / 2.54 = 70" = 5' 10"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

diomed wrote: »

I was lazy and just used google. Woops! I'll show my working next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I was lazy and just used google. Woops! I'll show my working next time!
    You can't get your lazy reporting past me, a 172cm, 5' 8" shortie. :)

diomed wrote: »

Oh he's on the brink of fancy-able again! (life is hard as a taller lady. The pool of fancy-able pro-cyclists taller than me is tiny :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

I was enjoying the bit of wit in this thread, what is it with some people that have to drag things down. Can the tone of the thread not be noticed, it was light-hearted, could it not just be left like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

thelawman wrote: »
    It's a McLaren Tarmac, 20,000 USD

Christ, that is serious money...

Advertisement