Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wheel47

Hi Med2015 and gaffer93 (and anyone else in the same position)..Well done on your results! I got 55 (I: 59, II: 70, III: 46) so I'm tentatively confident that I'll get an offer for Limerick too.

If you guys know of a Facebook page being set up or have any info about accommodation, let me know :)

I'm applying for the scholarship and I'm going to have to take a punt that I'll get it, as I'm sure you know, applicants aren't informed until after the course starts. I also have 3 months notice to serve in my current job, so I'm hoping they'll let me off if I get accepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Junoon

hi all ...congrats to those who survived and best of luck for those who aim for the coming years

i got 56 and i am from dublin ...

can any one advice me of placing choices ...

in my position ...if it is dublin college it is great but most importantly i want to get in this time even if it is limerick or cork

so i want to arrange my place my options based on chances of getting in with a score of 56

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GG10

Junoon wrote: »
    hi all ...congrats to those who survived and best of luck for those who aim for the coming years

in my position ...if it is dublin college it is great but most importantly i want to get in this time even if it is limerick or cork

so i want to arrange my place my options based on chances of getting in with a score of 56

thanks

Hey I also am from Dublin and got a 56, I'm still hoping we have enough for RCSI this year but put UCC and UL on your CAO too. As mentioned above the CAO chooses the first one that you have sufficient points for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Junoon wrote: »

thanks
    Organise your CAO preferences in the order that you want most, without thinking about your score. You'll be offered the course for which you have the required points, but if you ended up putting UCC/UL first simply because you thought you wouldn't have the points for RCSI/UCD and then the points come down to 56, you'll have missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 medpad

Kinda strange that people still don't understand how CAO system works... its not that complicated..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 GMed92

Hello, congratulations to everyone who received their results from the GAMSAT :)

I sat the GAMSAT for the first time this March and scored 54 which I was pleasantly surprised with, as I had done very minimal study due to assignments/dissertation/work, and had actually only taken the exam as a trial run to get an insight for next year..

I'm just wondering if people think the cut-off for UCC and UL will deviate much from last year, as I'm now somewhat cautiously hoping that I may get into UCC on a second or third round offer, providing the cut-off doesn't increase from last year's 55? ( even better if it continues to decrease... :) )

Additionally, I've read that previous years have seen applicants receive second/third round offers to universities, such as UL, with scores of 54/53 even when previous cut-off points have been up arounD 56/55... So I guess I'm really just looking for a bit of reassurance that I may find myself in GEM come September haha :) if anyone has any info relating to what I've mentioned above, I'd be very grateful for a response :)

Well done to everyone again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Btrippn

Any UL hopefuls feel free to join this page if you want to discuss anything related to UL GEM. The current admin is a GEM candidate and will add more members soon.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1600472486859711/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LEER123

Can somebody please post this year's percentile curve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LEER123

magsyc wrote: »
    does anyone know of any other medical schools are considered better or held in higher regard ? I have no idea which college to choose !

I think that any medical degree from Ireland is going to be very well respected. However, I have heard that RCSI is particularly well recognised internationally. This is likely to be helpful in terms of applying for electives abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gaffer93

medpad wrote: »
    Kinda strange that people still don't understand how CAO system works... its not that complicated..

You'd be surprised what applying to medicine for five years does to your mind...paranoia doesn't cover it.

• Advertisement

LEER123 wrote: »
    Can somebody please post this year's percentile curve?

I think it was sent with the results this year and they said that the same number of people got 60, etc. So it's basically the same as last year i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GerVet

Anyone else applied for Veterinary Medicine and did the GAMSAT this year???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

GerVet wrote: »
    Anyone else applied for Veterinary Medicine and did the GAMSAT this year???

No, we all hate your furry friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 medpad

Anita Blow wrote: »
    I don't think there's much difference between them all. The only difference I'd imagine would be with UL purely because it is a new course and doesn't have a reputation built yet, but even then within Ireland the medical curricula are the same really. Even abroad, I can't imagine there'd be much different between UCD, RCSI or UCC

Yeah I've asked several junior doctors and the general consensus seems to be that it doesn't matter where you study, more important is the impression you make on consultants as an intern/sho.

Definitely didn't get any impression from the people I asked that RSCI was above the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Best of luck to all of you waiting for results! Current UL student here! Feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Med2015

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    Best of luck to all of you waiting for results! Current UL student here! Feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer.

Thanks :) We got results 10/11th of May for some obscure reason! Shocker! See you in UL next year! Hope your end of year exams went well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mobot

Hello guys! I wanted to ask, what is the GAMSAT process? like when one completes the actual test registration, is that it? do you have to independently contact the colleges you want to apply to? how do you do that? this is for my brother, he is confused at the moment. And also, the GAMSAT in the UK in September this year, when you register for the test, do you contact the colleges you want to apply for before or after? and can you use the score you get for universities here? thanks guys! I hope someone can provide me with some clarity. It would be greatly appreciated

Mobot wrote: »
    Hello guys! I wanted to ask, what is the GAMSAT process? like when one completes the actual test registration, is that it? do you have to independently contact the colleges you want to apply to? how do you do that? this is for my brother, he is confused at the moment. And also, the GAMSAT in the UK in September this year, when you register for the test, do you contact the colleges you want to apply for before or after? and can you use the score you get for universities here? thanks guys! I hope someone can provide me with some clarity. It would be greatly appreciated

You apply to sit the GAMSAT and CAO separately. So CAO registration for 2016 will open for November this year and your brother will have to pick his preference of course choices. If he sits the GAMSAT in September in the UK he will have to send his results to the CAO so that he can be selected for a place in one of the 4 universities in Ireland where Grad medicine is a course choice. When sitting the exam in Ireland the results automatically got sent to CAO but i don't think that's the case when sitting it in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mobot

You apply to sit the GAMSAT and CAO separately. So CAO registration for 2016 will open for November this year and your brother will have to pick his preference of course choices. If he sits the GAMSAT in September in the UK he will have to send his results to the CAO so that he can be selected for a place in one of the 4 universities in Ireland where Grad medicine is a course choice. When sitting the exam in Ireland the results automatically got sent to CAO but i don't think that's the case when sitting it in the UK.

Thanks! ok when you sit the gamsat in the uk, you have to contact the CAO and inform them? what if you also want to apply to colleges in the UK? should he go through UCAS? thanks for the help! means a lot and made things a heck of a lot easier :D

Mobot wrote: »

Thanks! ok when you sit the gamsat in the uk, you have to contact the CAO and inform them? what if you also want to apply to colleges in the UK? should he go through UCAS? thanks for the help! means a lot and made things a heck of a lot easier :D

I'm actually only guessing that you have to send UK GAMSAT results to CAO, but we were told by the CAO that if ACER had failed to send our GAMSAT IRELAND results to them that we had to print them off and send them to CAO by post. But maybe UK GAMSAT scores are sent automatically too I'm not too sure. If he wants to do Undergraduate medicine in the UK he should do the UKAT, but Im not too sure what the story with Graduate medicine in the UK is. No problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Med2015

Uk results don't automatically link to your Cao account. You would have to send them on to Cao however obviously the main objective would be to set up your Cao account and they will inform you of the procedure via email throughout the process. Don't get to bogged down now about the exact details. Just set up your ucas and Cao accounts once they start taking application, begin selecting your courses.. And the rest will come together!

Also in Ireland, a sufficient gamsat score is the only thing required to get you a place in gradmed.(once you have achieved a 2.1+ in your primary degree) Whereas in the UK you must have a 2.1(exception of Swansea which takes 2.2 with a higher gamsat requirement), gamsat score, and you then have to do an interview.(only dif)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

RainBow_xo wrote: »

Hi Rainbow_xo hope the first year's gone well for you! Was it how you expected it to be or more difficult, or better!
    I'm just wondering how you found the pbl structure? And assessments...I read that students present on a case every week, are you graded on these continually or are there just exams at Xmas/summer, or both! Did you find it daunting at all? Sorry for all the questions! Think it's starting to sink in now that after wanting it for so long, studying medicine will soon become a reality (all going well with the cao ) and starting to feel the nerves! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Hi guys - well done to everyone who got their GAMSAT results. Just finished first year in UCD so if anyone has any questions on the course for me, fire away or send me a PM

So is it DEFINITE that roughly the same amount of people applied for GEM in Ireland this year? Or are we trying to comfort ourselves by saying that the points won't go up this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

I for one do think that the points might rise ever so slightly this year. this is because looking at the percentile curves over the last 2 years its seems that this year the curve has slightly shifted to the left. For example a 56 in the 2014 GAMSAT would have put you in the 75th percentile. in 2015 a 56 puts you in the 60th percentile so even though the numbers of applicants has not risen it seems that the scores have.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steph0712

Hey,

I contacted ACER about the number of people who sat Gamsat in Ireland this year.
    --> 750.
    However you still need to consider Gamsat results from other countries and other years, so I am not sure how sure we can be of a secure place?!
    I guess some people die it before graduating too, so they might only be in for next year.
    Some might not meet the 2.1 criterion.
    Some might have just done the test acting as a 'spy' for courses.
    Who knows.

I just hope that within the 83rd percentile I am safe.

Looking forward to August now in anticipation of starting Uni again and looking for accommodation.
    Maybe we should start an accommodation thread closer to the August, so who knows we might have nice house mates and 'affordable' accommodation.

SwiftEagle wrote: »
    I for one do think that the points might rise ever so slightly this year. this is because looking at the percentile curves over the last 2 years its seems that this year the curve has slightly shifted to the left. For example a 56 in the 2014 GAMSAT would have put you in the 75th percentile. in 2015 a 56 puts you in the 60th percentile so even though the numbers of applicants has not risen it seems that the scores have.

Do you've a copy of previous year's curves? I'm in the 95th percentile and want to see what sort of percentile range you need to be in for UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JackD123

I'm sorry Anita but that came across as either really silly or just outright bragging. To put your mind at ease, 95th percentile would get you into ANY medical school requiring the GAMSAT in the world let alone Ireland.

Definitely wasn't intended as bragging! Just from speaking to people that I knew sitting it, they all scored relatively highly and in combination with increased numbers sitting it I'm worried there'll be increased points requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 JackD123

I would quite happily put money on your score of what around 63-65 ? Been more then enough to get you in anywhere you like.

If points will increase, I would imagine they would be by 1-2 points across the board so UCD would be 59-60...

Advertisement