Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Academia

It is difficult to say where to start as this would depend on the college. I can’t speak for other colleges, but in RCSI, anatomy is huge, time consuming and unfortunately rushed; as expected everything is rushed. I have just singled out anatomy not because others are any easier but because it’s one I found challenging. So if you are to get your hands on say Gray’s anatomy (don’t mind the size of the book) and go through ‘the lower limb’ or ‘upper limb’ for example, it’ll be worth your time. Combine your study with an anatomy app; I found ‘Essential anatomy’ from iTunes helpful. If you can get the oxford handbook of clinical medicine, it wouldn't be a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pickmeplease

I wouldn't start anywhere! Graduate med school is hard enough as it is…enjoy the few months you have left and don't regret heading into it with your head already full

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

SwiftEagle wrote: »
    Hi academia,

Where would you recommend starting to study for us hoping to start next year? I have a decent score from the last gamsat and I was looking to start studying early so I could hit the ground running. What would be the best place to start??

What's your background Swifteagle? This should determine what/if you should do anything now? If you are going to study in advance, my recommendation would be to do it now and take July and August off - you will be glad you did so once the intensity of GEM hits you in September!

I think as a non-science studend, prep would definitely have helped. Generally, anywhere you are deficient in terms of the basic sciences in going to help. The biggest challenge I found at the start was the masses of new terminology, so even some basic reading, so that some of the language becomes familiar, would pay off. The obvious ones are microbiology, biochem and physiology. If you have a decent science background, as Academia said, anatomy of the musculoskeletal system would definitely be your first step. If you know where you are going, getting an outline of what's taught in the first semester would help to guide this. Clinically Oriented Anatomy seems to be the standard text book and is very easy reading. Or maybe even download an app of 3D anatomy or watch youtube videos.

Having said all that, if you are prepared to work hard, you will get through it come September and there is definitely merit in enjoying your time off before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

Thanks guys I think I will make a early crack at it though in my job I have plenty if times where I'm sitting around doing nothing so to make a start (however small) could be something. One thing I don't get with the anatomy is the detail. I downloaded grays anatomy where each muscle/bone is incredibly detadetailed! For example I have about 3 pages of notes just on the structure of the scascapula. Is this too detailed? Am I going over the top knowing every tiny detail or is this the standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Academia

SwiftEagle wrote: »
    Thanks guys I think I will make a early crack at it though in my job I have plenty if times where I'm sitting around doing nothing so to make a start (however small) could be something. One thing I don't get with the anatomy is the detail. I downloaded grays anatomy where each muscle/bone is incredibly detadetailed! For example I have about 3 pages of notes just on the structure of the scascapula. Is this too detailed? Am I going over the top knowing every tiny detail or is this the standard?

Gray's Anatomy is detailed no doubt. Your college would decide how much details you need to know, so sticking to class notes when you commence is best and practical, for you would have no time as you'd have other subjects to cover. First of all, know the basics before details. E.g. when presented with a scapula in the lab: (i) you should state what it is, (ii) orient it to yourself and say if it's left or right (iii) be able to tell its anterior, posterior, superior as well as its inferior sides. Parts of the scapular like: spine, inf & sup angles, subscapular and suprascapular region etc are basics. Detail is good because the more you can talk about the scapula or any other structure, you'd be able to convince the examiner you know your stuff.
    As you know the scapula can't be studied in isolation i.e. it is difficult to talk about the scapula without talking about the shoulder joint; clinical significance i.e. how patients with an injured scapula would present. I'm not sure if I have answered your question. But in summary:
    -Stick with class notes first before textbooks.
    -When asked about any structure (e.g. scapula) say everything you know about it in a written exam AND in the practical exam, keep talking about it until you are stopped.
    It's actually fun when you know your stuff. I know you are yet to start college, so just study broadly. You are in the right path.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's very course dependent. Some lecturers will want you to know every muscle attachment, origin, etc. and other will emphasise just the actions and innervation, pointing towards a more practical application. Anyway, if you learn all your anatomy now, you'll have forgotten it come September. Focus on getting a good general grounding in the osteology and learn muscles by action. Can't go wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hi guys studying here for gamsat September am getting a good bit in maybe 2 hours a day focusing mostly on chemistry and biology. I did physics in LC and got an A so should be okay to leave that last.

Regarding chemistry and biology is dummies and GCSE material with the dummies workbooks sufficient to see me through science with a good score?

Also do I need to focus much on learning formulas? I understand the math is not that complex due to having no calculator in the exam. As you can gather I've not done a practice run as I don't see the point without getting some science grounding 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 17 magsyc

Hi guys studying here for gamsat September am getting a good bit in maybe 2 hours a day focusing mostly on chemistry and biology. I did physics in LC and got an A so should be okay to leave that last.

Regarding chemistry and biology is dummies and GCSE material with the dummies workbooks sufficient to see me through science with a good score?

Also do I need to focus much on learning formulas? I understand the math is not that complex due to having no calculator in the exam. As you can gather I've not done a practice run as I don't see the point without getting some science grounding 1st

Hey, they seem to give the formula most of the time, but being familiar with the formulas and how formulas can be manipulated is important. The chemistry for dummies was excellent.

I don't think leaving cert chemistry is enough. You need to look at organic chemistry too, it's a big part of the science paper. Having a physics basis is probably an asset...lots of people completely ignore it!

letsdothis wrote: »
    I don't think leaving cert chemistry is enough. You need to look at organic chemistry too, it's a big part of the science paper. Having a physics basis is probably an asset...lots of people completely ignore it!

I have organic chemistry for dummies and chemistry as a 2nd language by Klein which I' will also be getting through.

Loving biology really really facinanting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

I have organic chemistry for dummies and chemistry as a 2nd language by Klein which I' will also be getting through.

Loving biology really really facinanting.

Section 3 is uncertain and even difficult for students with a science background. So combine your preparations by honing your grammar including spelling and punctuation, vital for getting good/easy marks in section 2. This can be done by writing 2 essays everyday under an hour until the exam day i.e. make writing a habit. Practicing with MCAT 101 questions will help with section 1.

Does anyone know how many places are available in the different colleges for post gradate medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

magsyc wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many places are available in the different colleges for post gradate medicine?

For EU Students (so not including the North Americans / other)
    • 35 places in UCC
    • 77 places in UCD
    • 90 places in UL
    • 30 places in RCSI

Quick one guys how assured are you of obtaining a place if you have a point above the required entry of previous years.

For EU Students (so not including the North Americans / other)
    • 35 places in UCC
    • 77 places in UCD
    • 90 places in UL
    • 30 places in RCSI

Thank you!!!! I'm driving myself crazy waiting for results!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jobin1

Quick one guys how assured are you of obtaining a place if you have a point above the required entry of previous years.

Hi,

I could be wrong but I don't think there is any way of working this out unfortunately. I'm possibly in a similar situation to you. I have 57 from the Sept14 UK Gamsat & am hoping to get into UCD or RCSI. I don’t think I could afford the living costs by moving to Cork or Limerick (not to start this September anyway). I also sat the March2015 Irish Gamsat so am waiting for those results too (personally found the March 2015 Irish Gamsat more difficult than the Sept14 UK Gamsat so will be interesting to see how the scores will go.)

The wait is quite agonising though - I even found myself phoning the different universities the day before the Irish Gamsat exam last month enquiring about how they think the points will go. Their answers were "you’d be better off going back to the library and studying for tomorrow's exam as there is no way of knowing" – very fair point!

Best of luck to everyone else who is waiting…

PS. It's not something to rely on but there has been a general downward trend in grad med entry points over the last few years so hopefully that trend continues. :)

Jobin1 wrote: »
    It's not something to rely on but there has been a general downward trend in grad med entry points over the last few years so hopefully that trend continues. :)

I made this graph a while ago for sh1ts and giggles. As it's been said, you have no way of being assured, you just have to see what the trend has been in the past.

2yZ2qMt.png

It should be noted of course, that some of these points were marked with an asterisk, meaning that not everyone with the GAMSAT score got a place.

Thanks Bearded but just wondering if I get 58 and RCSI is 57 if I have the other eligible criteria such as a 2:1 degree and the funds available to enter the course is there anyway that RCSI will reject my application ?

No, all you need to get in is the score and the 2:1.
    Getting a loan needs you to have more things, however. Some people have needed a guarantor, etc.

What date do people reckon we might get the results ? I was thinking it might be around the 8th ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

What date do people reckon we might get the results ? I was thinking it might be around the 8th ?

08th for CAO
    Around the 20th for candiates

Omega28 wrote: »
    08th for CAO
    Around the 20th for candiates

Nooo that's ages away ! I thought it would be closers to eight weeks from the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Hey last year they were released here on Monday the 19th around 7am, as far as I remember. The results came out for Australian candidates on the Friday night/Sat morning so that weekend was absolute torture! So if it's anything like last year it could be the 18th. Best of luck everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kodak9280

Hey guys! I did the gamsat in 2014 and currently have 54 and am aiming for UL IN 2015. I'm waiting for gamsat 2015 results. Anyone have any comments regarding my chances of getting into UL with 54 in the event I don't go up in this years gamsat?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mccloskc

Kodak9280 wrote: »
    Hey guys! I did the gamsat in 2014 and currently have 54 and am aiming for UL IN 2015. I'm waiting for gamsat 2015 results. Anyone have any comments regarding my chances of getting into UL with 54 in the event I don't go up in this years gamsat?

Good. I have 53 and am quietly confident of getting ul. Awaiting Dublin results too

Kodak9280 wrote: »

There has been a downward trend so I'd say you'll fly into UL :) I'm so jealous ! Wish I had taken the gamsat in sept too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Maat

Good luck to those waiting for offers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Not long to go now folks. Another 2 weeks or so!

GeneralC wrote: »
    Not long to go now folks. Another 2 weeks or so!

Feels like a lifetime! Is anyone considering the resit in sept in the UK if all doesn't go to plan? Not looking forward to starting the study again :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Feels like a lifetime! Is anyone considering the resit in sept in the UK if all doesn't go to plan? Not looking forward to starting the study again :/

Not sure at the moment, I am considering it though. There is always next March if you can't sit it in the UK come Sept.

Advertisement