Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 medpad

Did better than expected in Section 3 so looks like I'm safe enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Cannot get over section three. Not lying when I say I guessed >75% of the answers and had to scribble down C for the last 10 or so because I couldn't finish in time. Ended up getting 61 in it

• Registered Users Posts: 28 medpad

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Cannot get over section three. Not lying when I say I guessed >75% of the answers and had to scribble down C for the last 10 or so because I couldn't finish in time. Ended up getting 61 in it

Ya Im the same... Guessed the majority of it really!

I did put a decent effort into studying for it but was certain I had ****ed it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mobot

Hey everyone!
    Well done to all of you! I hope everyone gets what is best for them. I wanted to ask, my brother got a score of 50 in his Gamsat. What are his chances? does he satisfy the minimum requirements of any universities out there? thanks :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Mobot wrote: »
    Hey everyone!
    Well done to all of you! I hope everyone gets what is best for them. I wanted to ask, my brother got a score of 50 in his Gamsat. What are his chances? does he satisfy the minimum requirements of any universities out there? thanks :).

Not in Ireland/UK anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Well done everyone! Getting through the gamsat is an achievement in itself :) Anyone who is disappointed I was in the same boat this time last year, try not to be too hard on yourself, it can be done!and takes most people a few attempts :).
    I sat it again in the UK last Sept and scored a 58.

Also the age thing I'll be 30 starting as well! Glad to hear there's others of a similar age☺️

Anyone else's first choice UL? Fingers crossed everything goes well and meet some of you in September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 extinctspecies

Hello all, hope everyone is happy with their scores. For any UCD GEM hopefuls considering accommodation close to college e.g. Ranelagh, Milltown area, do let me know and a few of us can share an apartment/house. It's very early I know but no time like the present. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nil Nocere

Hi Guys, well done to everyone who got their GAMSAT results today. A couple of us in UCD GEM1 have set up a page for next year's class:

facebook.com/groups/861659183900613/

Please add yourself if you are planning on heading to UCD - we would be very happy to answer any questions you have about the programme etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Take 2

Are people expecting points to rise this year? Hoping for Ucc with 59.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Congrats on your scores future medics! if RCSI is your place of choice this September, feel free to join our Facebook group 'RCSI GEM Class of 2019' at https://www.facebook.com/groups/876551989053031/. Your questions will have a speedy response there! Some of our North American counterparts have already joined. Come join the fun :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 EM1308

Do people think points will rise much this year? Praying for RCSI! Their programme looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cyt123

anyone have the percentile curve for last year? hope points stay the same!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Btrippn

Ballet17 wrote: »

Anyone else's first choice UL? Fingers crossed everything goes well and meet some of you in September :)

Hoping for UL myself too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gaffer93

Med2015 wrote: »
    Got a 57... Bloody delighted! Going for UL... :) happy days, well done to everyone whatever the result! Takes balls.

Hi, are you putting Limerick down as your first choice with 57 to guarantee that you get Limerick? I got 59 and have UCD and RCSI ahead of Limerick, but does that leave me at a disadvantage towards getting limerick seen as it's my fourth choice? In other words should I be more tactical in my CAO choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

gaffer93 wrote: »
    Hi, are you putting Limerick down as your first choice with 57 to guarantee that you get Limerick? I got 59 and have UCD and RCSI ahead of Limerick, but does that leave me at a disadvantage towards getting limerick seen as it's my fourth choice? In other words should I be more tactical in my CAO choices?

The CAO system is designed so that you get your highest preference that you are eligible for. Don't put options down in the order of how you think they will rank in terms of points, put them down in the order of your own preference - if you put UCD down first and you have enough points, you will definitely get UCD and not UL.

letsdothis wrote: »
    The CAO system is designed so that you get your highest preference that you are eligible for. Don't put options down in the order of how you think they will rank in terms of points, put them down in the order of your own preference - if you put UCD down first and you have enough points, you will definitely get UCD and not UL.

Thanks. I think I already knew that but just needed to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Btrippn wrote: »
    Hoping for UL myself too :)

Great! I see some of the Dublin universities have set up a Facebook page for the upcoming year's class, hopefully UL will do it sometime soon too! Know it's still very early days, fingers crossed everything will go to plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EM1308

Hey, with the CAO it's essential that you put your choices in order of preference! If UL is your first choice but you have put UCD and RCSI ahead you will be assigned to one of those colleges if you meet their cut offs. As far as I am aware you cannot ask to switch to a different college even if you far exceed their entry requirements. And with a 59 I'm sure you will be assigned to one of UCD or RCSI. If Limerick is your preference, that should be at the top of your CAO application. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JackD123

Hi all,

I'm pretty certain I will be heading to UL in September as I have got 59 in the GAMSAT so will be looking for people to live with. I am coming over from the UK and think it may be a good idea to get a FB group set up? This way we can sort accommodation and other things out :) Well done to all those who achieved what they needed to in the GAMSAT and better luck next time for the ones that didn't... I got 51 the first time and 47 in the science section... I got 61 in the science this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Med2015

JackD123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm pretty certain I will be heading to UL in September as I have got 59 in the GAMSAT so will be looking for people to live with. I am coming over from the UK and think it may be a good idea to get a FB group set up? This way we can sort accommodation and other things out :) Well done to all those who achieved what they needed to in the GAMSAT and better luck next time for the ones that didn't... I got 51 the first time and 47 in the science section... I got 61 in the science this time.

I've applied for on campus but I'm on a waiting list so it's unlikely I'll get it! I will too be looking for people to share with! 24, Irish gal! It's gona be so good!!!

• Advertisement

I won't be on campus... Can't afford it haha :( Will be looking to house share with a few people.

Hey! Yeah I sure am but I don't want any other college and I'm almost guaranteed UL with 57 so realistically I probably only need to have that in my choices! I see someone has already clarified your question there! Are you joining us in limerick!? Or is your preference Dublin because you'll 100% get rcsi/ucd with a 59! No doubt about it!

JackD123 wrote: »
    I won't be on campus... Can't afford it haha :( Will be looking to house share with a few people.

I know 5grand, it is! I've been saving a while in fairness! But I was looking on daft and some very decent houses .. About 270/250 a month each! But hopefully the facebook page will be set up soon so we can all group up and figure it all out.. They'll be loads looking to share with other med students without a doubt!

Take 2 wrote: »
    Are people expecting points to rise this year? Hoping for Ucc with 59.

OF COURSE you will get cork with a 59, your like in the top 20%... The points will not rise(well not by that kind of considerable amount) don't listen to that stuff, there just comments thrown about because some Cao guy said that there were like 6 more people applying for gradmed or something silly like that! I think it's always the case that about the top 35%/40% are almost guranteed a place because at the end of the day the places have to be filled!

Med2015 wrote: »
    Hey! Yeah I sure am but I don't want any other college and I'm almost guaranteed UL with 57 so realistically I probably only need to have that in my choices! I see someone has already clarified your question there! Are you joining us in limerick!? Or is your preference Dublin because you'll 100% get rcsi/ucd with a 59! No doubt about it!

Thanks for the reply too! No well I'm from Dublin so realistically it would be better for my finances if I live at home and go to ucd/rcsi....despite the fact that I'll be 26/27 by the time I move out after! But to be honest I'll take any offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GerVet

Hey.....is there anyone else who has gotten their GAMSAT results yesterday and trying to get into UCD Veterinary Medicine? Do you know the cut off? I got 57 - is this enough based on past results?
    And finally........does anyone know when we are told by the uni's if we are accepted or not?!

You will find out off the universities by the end of July. 57 Should be enough to get you onto ANY medical course in Ireland, I cannot see the cut-offs changing from last year as the situation in regards to funding hasn't changed nor has the GAMSAT curve really changed.

Thanks for the reply too! No well I'm from Dublin so realistically it would be better for my finances if I live at home and go to ucd/rcsi....despite the fact that I'll be 26/27 by the time I move out after! But to be honest I'll take any offer.

Sure that's sweet as. You got a really good score so it's very likely you'll be in Dublin .. Not having to run up an extra mountain of debt on living expenses! I envy you ! Unfortunately galway hasn't caught onto the gradmed buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 magsyc

does anyone know of any other medical schools are considered better or held in higher regard ? I have no idea which college to choose !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I don't think there's much difference between them all. The only difference I'd imagine would be with UL purely because it is a new course and doesn't have a reputation built yet, but even then within Ireland the medical curricula are the same really. Even abroad, I can't imagine there'd be much different between UCD, RCSI or UCC

Advertisement