Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S5 €50 up front, €798 over 2 years

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Don't know why people get so defensive when someone posts an argument against their own posts. Post your rebuttal and if it makes sense then yay if not then there is no need to post it over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Cheers to the OP for the alert. But if you're going for this deal, check the T+Cs *very* carefully and keep a copy of the current T+Cs.

I got a HTC One on a similar deal early last year. Store price monthly was higher than the 'online exclusive' monthly price, 18 month contract.

After 12 months Meteor put the monthly price up to the original 'store price'. They claimed that the cheaper monthly rate was a discount applicable for the first 12 months only. This despite me sending them links to archived copies of their T+Cs valid at the time I signed up which stated no such thing. I also had an email from them relating to a query on my first bill in which they'd gone into detail on exactly how I was being charged, again with no mention of the 'discount' being temporary.

They kept insisting that I'd agreed to this at signup, and kept sending me links to non existent T+C pages. They sent an internal archive of a brochure-type page which I'd never seen, wasn't part of the T+Cs anyway, was contradicted by at least two of the sources I'd sent them, and was dated over a year before my contract began.

After I'd cancelled my direct debit and written to their customer services manager, they eventually cancelled the overcharge and applied the discount for the full period as a 'goodwill gesture', but refused to accept that they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You realize you've already posted a cheaper no contract option?

Apart from the fact it's cheaper, you'll also have the freedom of not being locked into a 2 year contract.

Besides 1 GB data is not alot, and I haven't seen it say wether its 3G or 4G data either.

Yes, but do YOU have anything cheaper than what I posted, yes or no? No, all you're doing is giving out about the concept of contracts. Contracts don't suit everyone. That doesn't mean that because you disagree with them, nobody else is capable of evaluating them for themselves and making their own decision.

The only option which has a lower 2 year cost than this bill pay deal is one where you have to pay €530 in cash today, which is more than a lot of people can/will pay up front. It's very small long term saving (based on very conservative €10 a month top up) vs. huge up-front cost difference. I posted the options so people could make up their own mind. You, however, seem determined to force your mind on everyone else.

Akrasia wrote: »
    The main reason why I don't buy an expensive phone is because I know that the minute I bring home a fancy new gadget on a 2 year contract, my 18 month old daughter will drop it into the toilet and I'll be stuck with my 80 euro back-up for the cost of an S5. (the other reason is I can't afford it)

Mobile phone insurance is about an extra tenner a month onto the cost of this deal.

The benefit of a real bargain phone like the Moto G, is that it is cheap to buy, cheap to run, it doesn't require insurance but if you choose it, the insurance is 1/4 of the price, and the performance is more than adequate for the vast majority of users needs.

If someone really wants an S5 on a contract, this is probably the cheapest way to do it, but if you don't buy insurance and the phone is stolen, you're stuck with paying for a new sim free phone while still paying off the S5 contract

1) The S5 is waterproof, which solves that problem.
    2) Any phone can be stolen. Your car can be stolen. Your house can be broken into. Your bike can be stolen. Your wallet can be stolen. Should everyone walk around in body armour and live in a mud hut so that they never have to face financial loss due to crime?
    Ever moved abroad with an unpaid debt ?

Intrum Justitia will follow you all over Europe for sure and will make problems for you wherever you live.

E.G. Know of one person that moved to Germany, went to rent an apartment and then when they did a Schufa check he was listed as having a problem because of an unpaid debt in Ireland.

Also in Holland they will transfer the debt from Ireland to their Dutch Incassobureau and over here they certainly can chase you for it or basically make it impossible to sign up for any form of contract based service, even getting electricity, gas or an Internet connection will be a pain in the arse.

In short if you ever want to move outside Ireland, I'd make sure not to have any unpaid debts that are registered with Pan European Debt collectors.

If you have a television (even an old analogue one which can't receive a signal), you have to pay a TV Licence.

If you don't pay the licence, you can go to jail.

Therefore, nobody should own a television, right?

Or, maybe every Bargain Alert about a TV deal should be spammed with people crying "Don't get a TV, you can be landed on the hook for a licence and GO TO JAIL!!!one!! What if your TV gets stolen, then you have to buy a new one!!!! Go to Power City and fish someone's old one out of the WEEE recycling bin!!".

MOH wrote: »
    Cheers to the OP for the alert. But if you're going for this deal, check the T+Cs *very* carefully and keep a copy of the current T+Cs.

I got a HTC One on a similar deal early last year. Store price monthly was higher than the 'online exclusive' monthly price, 18 month contract.

After 12 months Meteor put the monthly price up to the original 'store price'. They claimed that the cheaper monthly rate was a discount applicable for the first 12 months only. This despite me sending them links to archived copies of their T+Cs valid at the time I signed up which stated no such thing. I also had an email from them relating to a query on my first bill in which they'd gone into detail on exactly how I was being charged, again with no mention of the 'discount' being temporary.

They kept insisting that I'd agreed to this at signup, and kept sending me links to non existent T+C pages. They sent an internal archive of a brochure-type page which I'd never seen, wasn't part of the T+Cs anyway, was contradicted by at least two of the sources I'd sent them, and was dated over a year before my contract began.

After I'd cancelled my direct debit and written to their customer services manager, they eventually cancelled the overcharge and applied the discount for the full period as a 'goodwill gesture', but refused to accept that they were wrong.

This is the first genuinely useful response to this thread so far. I'm off to the Meteor forum to ask the question. Cheers MOH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

1)
    Or, maybe every Bargain Alert about a TV deal should be spammed with people crying "Don't get a TV, you can be landed on the hook for a licence and GO TO JAIL!!!one!! What if your TV gets stolen, then you have to buy a new one!!!! Go to Power City and fish someone's old one out of the WEEE recycling bin!!".

Was merely pointing you that if you do not pay a debt with these debt collectors it can become a problem rather than your suggestion that nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Let us know the answer to that question if you get it please slutmonkey.

By the way, good deal imo. Unfortunately, I'm tied into a contract until October. Hopefully they'll (or other providers) run something similar again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm just out of contract (S3), so I was looking at this earlier. The problem with the Meteor plan seems to be that it's €31.20 a month (€39 without VAT), if you don't get out of bundle costs. But if you do, then they apply VAT and then it's suddenly €39 for the month (+ whatever fairly reasonable out-of-bundle costs).

At least that's what I think I found out after reading the Meteor forums. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong?

toby2111 wrote: »
    Let us know the answer to that question if you get it please slutmonkey.

By the way, good deal imo. Unfortunately, I'm tied into a contract until October. Hopefully they'll (or other providers) run something similar again.

According to the rep here the price is supposed to be valid for 24 months.

Further, he states that they cannot move you to a new tariff without your permission. That is in line with what has happened to people with other companies who decide to retire a tariff (including the likes of UPC). If they retire this one, they're introducing a change in T&C's substantial enough that you have the right to refuse. Whether you'd get to keep the phone in that case probably depends on how long is left on the original contract.

Not to say that any Irish company *wouldn't* make a balls of things and change tariffs on people, but with SEPA you can block or limit the amount of a DD and there's nothing Meteor or anyone else can do about it, so there's an element of safety that wasn't there before. Seems safe enough

Was merely pointing you that if you do not pay a debt with these debt collectors it can become a problem rather than your suggestion that nothing happens.

Nor is it the world ending scenario which it is being painted. What I originally said was that a debtor in that situation would not be concerned with their mobile phone debt of 30 quid a month in comparison to, say, feeding their family. Which is a pretty reasonable summation.

Reasonableness doesn't seem to go down too well with a certain brand of "contracts are syphilitic awfulness it burrrrrns...... I'm out of credit can I borrow your phone?" poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

jaysus mad money for a fone
    not with it at all thinking the dearest fone would be less than700

id spend it on pc no problem but if folks spend as much time on
    their fone as i do on a pc then why the hell not
    each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭maniac2003

its such a disruptive technology its impossible to gauge where it will be in 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Personally I use my iPhone for hours a day for everything from work to personal use. It works well and my plan has plenty calls texts and data. Perfectly happy to pay €40 a month for it. Not in a million years would I use a crappy phone to save €20 a month or a few quid up front. Life's too short. The S5 is a good phone and this is one of the cheaper ways to get it and use it for 2 years.

Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

mailburner wrote: »
    jaysus mad money for a fone
    not with it at all thinking the dearest fone would be less than700

id spend it on pc no problem but if folks spend as much time on
    their fone as i do on a pc then why the hell not
    each to their own

Phone costs 50 quid. Tariff costs over 2 years cost 750.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nor is it the world ending scenario which it is being painted. What I originally said was that a debtor in that situation would not be concerned with their mobile phone debt of 30 quid a month in comparison to, say, feeding their family. Which is a pretty reasonable summation.

Reasonableness doesn't seem to go down too well with a certain brand of "contracts are syphilitic awfulness it burrrrrns...... I'm out of credit can I borrow your phone?" poster.

If someone is having issues feeding their family and they signed up to a 30 euro a month contract I would have to question their sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Thanks op for posting a potential bargain. its not for me but I appreciate the fact you took the time to post it.
    Yes you can get better deals on mobile service
    you might not like the phone
    but for some people who only like Samsung * and I know a few, and for those who only use the meteor network * again I know people who have a preference, its a good enough deal. just not for me.

If someone is having issues feeding their family and they signed up to a 30 euro a month contract I would have to question their sanity.

Perhaps you missed the straw man argument. It was "what happens in 18 months if you can't pay the bill for some reason".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

bidiots wrote: »
    Phone costs 50 quid. Tariff costs over 2 years cost 750.

apologies
    shouldve started from the beginning :o

great deal in fairness now that ive bothered to look it up
    have an s3 my which i got for 19euro july 13 (2yr 20pm) with o2
    will be interesting to see how much I get this for next year

meteor was totally piss in my area but we're going back 6/7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

20% off on Amazon , 599 quid http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Smartphone-Black/dp/B00ISQWBEG

OP's is still a good offer though if you dont have the cash up front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

20% off on Amazon , 599 quid http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Smartphone-Black/dp/B00ISQWBEG

OP's is still a good offer though if you dont have the cash up front

Bumping this now 32% off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

-20%, then -32%, what next? A new model, maybe? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Twatter

Thanks OP, unfortunately my debating with myself over the weekend and too tired to complete order last night, I log on today to find its OOS!! I'm not the best at making decisions....or am I?!
    good deal though.

Edit: back in stock....just got email from Meteor... Ordered now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 torreme

Ok, spotted S5 for €440 on e global central + say €10 per month x 24 = €240 for credit = €680. If you have €440 up front!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It is perfectly reasonable for the OP to post what he believes is a bargain. A bargain for one man may not be a bargain for another. This is the nature of a bargain. The OP should not be getting this abuse! :D

Having said that:
    you'll also have the freedom of not being locked into a 2 year contract.

Besides 1 GB data is not alot

The above would be my concerns.
    toby2111 wrote: »
    By the way, good deal imo. Unfortunately, I'm tied into a contract until October.

Another disadvantage to a 2 year contract. If the latest and greatest deal comes up in a year or year and a half you sit there annoyed rather than free to take a new deal.

So if no money up front, maybe. But your hands are tied going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

€50 is almost no money upfront though. :)

Not slagging this deal; great device etc., but I'm fairly sure there are better/equivalent phones/deals out there which would work out cheaper over the term.

[Rider]Don't ask for examples, because I could not be less arsed to do that gglng. [/Rider]

I like Samsung phones, but am not fixated on the brand.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

It will be worth very little, the S3 is 2 yrs old and can be bought new, with a warranty and SIM free for €150 making a second hand S3 worth about 80 quid

Sorry to OP for off topic slightly, but where can you buy the S3 at this type of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Sorry to OP for off topic slightly, but where can you buy the S3 at this type of money?

Was £129 in CPW about 2 weeks ago, I see it's back up to 169 now. I've read the s3 is being rebranded as the s5 mini

Was £129 in CPW about 2 weeks ago, I see it's back up to 169 now. I've read the s3 is being rebranded as the s5 mini
    Cheers for that
    Herself using an S2 and looking at going for S3 and no pint buying used at those prices

• Advertisement

Showing out of stock again
    Actually very tempted by this
    Out of contract myself and looking around at whats available

Advertisement