Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S5 €50 up front, €798 over 2 years

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This could only be a bargain to someone who considers paying €530+ for an S5 a bargain, the majority of the posters here don't agree.

The thread title explains exactly the topic of the thread, if you dont have any interest in a new galaxy S5 then their is no point posting in a thread to annoy people who do.

The price is including 400 minutes and texts so its not just the price of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

I seem to remember alot of people purchasing new phones with the eircom/emobile offer in the below thread about 2 years ago. The price back then was 34.50 a month with a new Galaxy S3 for 139 which works out at over 700 quid. Its certainly a bargain for all those people on similar deals who want to upgrade.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056638431/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

N5 owner here who used the s5 for about 2 weeks on a trial. Can honestly say the n5 is miles better in almost every aspect and I am a heavy mobile user.

Plus I will have android 5.0 months before s5 owners.

As for this being a bargain for the s5. It may be but a bargain overall it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Where exactly are you seeing poor reviews for the one plus...? Techradar rate it as better than the s5.

You can also purchase the phone without an invite from resellers

Yes I have the phone and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

As for this being a bargain for the s5. It may be but a bargain overall it is not.

Right just as well the OP has S5 in the title so and didnt advertise it as just: bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Right just as well the OP has S5 in the title so and didnt advertise it as just: bargain.

Well if someone is looking for a real bargain my advice is to look elsewhere for a better product at a lower price point.

My costs on my n5:
    345 euro initial cost.
    20 euro topup every 45 days or so.
    20*16 = 320 euro
    total cost 675 euro over two years.

Not to mention my phone is sim free so it will be more sought after when reselling it after those two years if I wished.

I can also use my credit to pay for my apps on the app store if I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Well if someone is looking for a real bargain my advice is to look elsewhere for a better product at a lower price point.

My costs on my n5:
    345 euro initial cost.
    20 euro topup every 45 days or so.
    20*16 = 320 euro
    total cost 675 euro over two years.

Not to mention my phone is sim free so it will be more sought after when reselling it after those two years if I wished.

I can also use my credit to pay for my apps on the app store if I wish.

You're also not tied into a ridiculous 2 year contract if heaven forbid in 18 months you can't afford to make calls or texts, then you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

To be fair, even as a Nexus owner I'd consider the S5 as a nicer phone. As regards the phone being sim free you can get the unlock code for the phone immediately after you enter this contract

Clearly plenty people here are shocked that this could be considered a good deal but you have to realise than anybody who has a top spec phone nowadays is paying as much if not a lot more(Paying more in most cases I reckon) than €790 over two years!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This thread of whinging is still going?
    Unfollow button not working then? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Esel wrote: »
    Unfollow button not working then? :D

I subscribe to the forum and it keeps popping up near the top.

It would be useful if a lot of the posts weren't, as stated by the mod, just a bunch of timewasters.

I've been tracking the prices of replacement phones for a few months now and this deal was the first really good one I've found. A nexus or s3 isn't a significant upgrade over my dying phone, so I posted it.

I'll keep an eye out for a Nokia 3310 on a legacy 088 number offer to keep the pay as you go crowd happy.

• Advertisement

You're also not tied into a ridiculous 2 year contract if heaven forbid in 18 months you can't afford to make calls or texts, then you don't have to.

And lo and behold, nobody is holding you at gunpoint to take up this offer. If I had cause to be concerned on that point, I wouldn't take it up either. Anyone that broke due to a change in circumstances 18 months down the line simply doesn't pay the bill, stops using the phone and concentrates on more important matters, like food.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

And lo and behold, nobody is holding you at gunpoint to take up this offer. If I had cause to be concerned on that point, I wouldn't take it up either. Anyone that broke due to a change in circumstances 18 months down the line simply doesn't pay the bill, stops using the phone and concentrates on more important matters, like food.

And gets tied up in at least €180 of debt in the process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

BS, it's a 24 month contract, you can't just suddenly stop paying after 18 months, they'll follow you. You are liable for every cent

And gets tied up in at least €180 of debt in the process?

Can you read? There's a mod warning in bold a few posts up.

This isn't a thread on MABS. It's an offer for people who might want to buy something cheaper than it is available elsewhere.

Are you interested in buying this product and or service?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Can you read? There's a mod warning in bold a few posts up.

This isn't a thread on MABS. It's an offer for people who might want to buy something cheaper than it is available elsewhere.

Are you interested in buying this product and or service?

I can read fine thanks.

Saw the title and was interested, yes. My current offer suits me better though. Is that OK?

BS, it's a 24 month contract, you can't just suddenly stop paying after 18 months, they'll follow you. You are liable for every cent

Ever been in debt?

No?

They can't collect a debt you can't pay.

There's a hierarchy of debtors in these situations.

Debt resettlement agreements have to take into account ability to repay.

Writeoffs are normal.

But I don't know why I'm responding to obvious trolls, so I'll stop.

That's not how contracts work unfortunately, and don't try to belittle it, its a factor in this so called bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

When did the Nexus 5 become the best phone in the world?

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    When did the Nexus 5 become the best phone in the world?

It was 1st released October 31st 2013

That's not how contracts work unfortunately, and don't try to belittle it, its a factor in this so called bargain.

So you are just against the concept of contracts as a whole then?

Again, read the mod warning. Do you have a cheaper option other than what I've already posted for this product, yes or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ever been in debt?

No?

Writeoffs are normal.

Some under-bridge dwellers are not trolls. Most/all defaulters get put on a list where their ability to repay future bills is called into question; some of these may later find themselves living under a bridge.

Anyway, this is probably a good deal for someone who really wants an S5 and can afford the future payments.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I subscribe to the forum and it keeps popping up near the top.

It would be useful if a lot of the posts weren't, as stated by the mod, just a bunch of timewasters.

I've been tracking the prices of replacement phones for a few months now and this deal was the first really good one I've found. A nexus or s3 isn't a significant upgrade over my dying phone, so I posted it.

I'll keep an eye out for a Nokia 3310 on a legacy 088 number offer to keep the pay as you go crowd happy.

Well thanks for posting because I know my sister is going to avail of this offer.

Also don't mind the naysayers, they're all over the Bargain Alerts forum. I've had to deal with them myself when posting a perfectly good bargain for Eircom's tv service for a €10 a month and they came out of the woodwork screaming like children how it wasn't a bargain despite the OP explaining it was a bargain for certain people, not everyone. Tbh I avoid posting technology related bargains I come across now because invariably the thread on this forum will get derailed by numbskulls who can't get it into their heads that just because it isn't a bargain for them doesn't mean it isn't for thousands of other people out there.

The rules of BargainAlerts are pretty simple- can the product be found elsewhere for cheaper? In this instance no it cannot, therefore it's a bargain. No one is claiming it is a bargain buying it Vs Apple or Nexus or whatever, it is a bargain vs. buying it in any other way and for the people who'll save money that'll be good enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭dodzy

Nearly 100 posts in less that a day for a phone advert. Jasus, from apple haters, Chinese cheapie promoters, and the best of all, those who time and time again forgot about the calls included on whatever plan you take up.

A typical example of one of those stupid posts would go something like this......"€40 x 24 for an iphone! You'd be off your head to pay nearly a grand for an iphone!"

Last time I looked, 2 yrs worth of calls, texts & data on ANY plan cost a lot more than €0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Jaysus don't spoil the thread with facts
    ��

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The main reason why I don't buy an expensive phone is because I know that the minute I bring home a fancy new gadget on a 2 year contract, my 18 month old daughter will drop it into the toilet and I'll be stuck with my 80 euro back-up for the cost of an S5. (the other reason is I can't afford it)

Mobile phone insurance is about an extra tenner a month onto the cost of this deal.

The benefit of a real bargain phone like the Moto G, is that it is cheap to buy, cheap to run, it doesn't require insurance but if you choose it, the insurance is 1/4 of the price, and the performance is more than adequate for the vast majority of users needs.

If someone really wants an S5 on a contract, this is probably the cheapest way to do it, but if you don't buy insurance and the phone is stolen, you're stuck with paying for a new sim free phone while still paying off the S5 contract

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ever been in debt?

No?

Writeoffs are normal.

Ever moved abroad with an unpaid debt ?

Intrum Justitia will follow you all over Europe for sure and will make problems for you wherever you live.

E.G. Know of one person that moved to Germany, went to rent an apartment and then when they did a Schufa check he was listed as having a problem because of an unpaid debt in Ireland.

Also in Holland they will transfer the debt from Ireland to their Dutch Incassobureau and over here they certainly can chase you for it or basically make it impossible to sign up for any form of contract based service, even getting electricity, gas or an Internet connection will be a pain in the arse.

In short if you ever want to move outside Ireland, I'd make sure not to have any unpaid debts that are registered with Pan European Debt collectors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Do you understand how a contract works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Cheers OP this is a great deal IMO for anyone who cannot shell out cash on a handset, again don't mind the haters,

Again, read the mod warning. Do you have a cheaper option other than what I've already posted for this product, yes or no?

You realize you've already posted a cheaper no contract option?

Apart from the fact it's cheaper, you'll also have the freedom of not being locked into a 2 year contract.

Besides 1 GB data is not alot, and I haven't seen it say wether its 3G or 4G data either.

• Advertisement

bennyc wrote: »
    Cheers OP this is a great deal IMO for anyone who cannot shell out cash on a handset, again don't mind the haters,

Haters gonna hate, Benny.

Advertisement