Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S5 €50 up front, €798 over 2 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

bidiots wrote: »
    Over 2 years then:
    Phone:€206
    Plan:€20*19(approx usage) =€380

Therefore your deal is €586 over 2years, for an inferior handset. In 2 years, the S5 will be worth a lot more than the nexus so evens out. Hmmm, makes you think

Nexus 4 > S5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ok I laugh at the people here posting about only using 20 euro credit every 40 days etc. I would use 20 euro credit in a day, my mobile bills where never under 250 euro just for calls/text so an offer where you get free call/texts for €49 euro with a proper smart phone for €49 euro is a bargain.

I would recommend this to alot of people I know who use mobile for work

I wont be talking to my kid who uses about 20 euro credit every 1-2 months because it is not for him

But I didn't think the bargains forum had a requirement that every bargain had to suit everyone's specific situation

If you don't think it is bargain well then move on.....why you would bother posting about how little you spend each month on your phone is just wasting your time and everyone else's who wants to read the thread

Not my fault you have no friends to ring so you don't spend money on your mobile :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

jive wrote: »
    I haven't posted in this thread but as a comparison I got a Nexus 4 for €206 about a year ago and pay €10 a month, pay-as-you-go, on 48. So €206 up front and €240 over 2 years (assuming I pay for every month, which I dont as when I go travelling I just use skype/viber) which is €446. S5 comes to €848 and you have to pay every month regardless (not an issue for some people but a 2 year contract is not viable for me).

So the S5 is a minimum of €402 more expensive than the Nexus 4. If you are in the market for that particular phone then I agree that it is a bargain, however it's definitely not frugal or value for money when you consider other phones on the market.

Yep, but you had initial outlay of 250, not just 50. Plus the S5 will be worth a LOT more after 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

No, I'm assuming that someone who wants this phone sim free would pay that for it. People on the android forum here are paying that for phones sim free.

And I agree, I wouldn't pay ~500 for a phone up front, which is why I think this deal is a good balance between TCO and up front cost.

As to chinese androids, all well and good but what about long term build quality, returns process, merchant reputability etc? If the ebay merchant who sold it disappears tomorrow, is it easy to get a repair or replacement done? There are tradeoffs with everything.

Ok so to clarify for this specific phone it's a good price. But my argument would be that you could get a phone with an equal or better spec at a much lower price over the same two year period.

Regarding Chinese phones, it's that specific thing which the likes of 02, Meteor rely on in order to get people buying into two year deals. People know Samsung, Apple etc so they buy them.
    For the people moaning that it's not a bargain/not worth it - What phone are you currently using, how much did it cost you and how much do you spend a month?

http://www.androidauthority.com/review-of-thl-5000-410058/

€250 delivery from Gearbest. €10 a month deal from 48 for 300 minutes, unlimited texts, 60 landline minutes and 1 gig of data. €490 over a two year period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Yep, but you had initial outlay of 250, not just 50. Plus the S5 will be worth a LOT more after 2 years.

It will be worth very little, the S3 is 2 yrs old and can be bought new, with a warranty and SIM free for €150 making a second hand S3 worth about 80 quid

Nexus 4 > S5

post-6493-Jennifer-Lawrence-okay-thumbs-ilbJ.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Much better phones? No, absolutely not I'm afraid.
    Lower price? Yes, for a reason.
    You get what you pay for, I'm not a fan of Samsung in the slightest but few Chinese models come close, e.g. The oneplusone might be a great spec, but you need an invite and reviews are very poor.

Where exactly are you seeing poor reviews for the one plus...? Techradar rate it as better than the s5.

You can also purchase the phone without an invite from resellers

Much better phones? No, absolutely not I'm afraid.
    Lower price? Yes, for a reason.
    You get what you pay for, I'm not a fan of Samsung in the slightest but few Chinese models come close, e.g. The oneplusone might be a great spec, but you need an invite and reviews are very poor.

Poor reviews for the OnePlus One!??! No.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/best-android-phone-which-should-you-buy-717819/2#articleContent

My question is are these "known" brands 50% better in terms of performance when compared to their competition? Not at all. Give it time, once the like of Xiaomi start making some serious inroads throughout Europe we'll start seeing some decent price competition.

• Advertisement

Was thinking of purchasing some months back but after research, decided not too. But if your research says otherwise, then off you go and buy it, all the best.
    No idea why I'm defending this thread to be honest, if you think its a bargain, then great, if not, then I've tried to show you how it can be. All/most against this deal have initial outlays for their handset, in the hundreds. For those that can't afford this outlay, this deal is a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I bought a new Note 2 outright for e280 in a VF retail shop saying that though I did get e100 off for my broken GS2 - it booted though so they gave me the cashback.

e32 pcm for unlimited calls and texts and 15GB of data from emobile. I need the unlimited calls for work. SIM only rolling contract so you get the flexibility to ditch it if a really good offer comes by.

Great value. I actually think nobody really needs the latest generation of smartphones. Stick with the previous generation and save a packet for a 99% same functionality wise experience.

The OP's offer is pretty good, but I personally shy away from more than a 1 year contract.

Just my opinion of course :)

Mezcita wrote: »
    Poor reviews for the OnePlus One!??! No.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/best-android-phone-which-should-you-buy-717819/2#articleContent

My question is are these "known" brands 50% better in terms of performance when compared to their competition? Not at all. Give it time, once the like of Xiaomi start making some serious inroads throughout Europe we'll start seeing some serious price competition.

Listen, go to the start of the Chinese Android Thread and see who has the first few posts;)
    Yes, the chinese brands are gaining traction and will have a say, but not there yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Where exactly are you seeing poor reviews for the one plus...? Techradar rate it as better than the s5.

You can also purchase the phone without an invite from resellers

Haven't even looked at it in months so the invite system is probably finished with, maybe the latest handsets have ironed out the issues that turned me off.
    Again, not sure why I'm bothering defending the thread, I'm a happy (cheap)lumia owner now:D

Listen, go to the start of the Chinese Android Thread and see who has the first few posts;)
    Yes, the chinese brands are gaining traction and will have a say, but not there yet....

Good for you. Odd that you thought the OnePlus One was not decent then. Have a smiley. ;)

Mezcita wrote: »
    Good for you. Odd that you thought the OnePlus One was not decent then. Have a smiley. ;)

Aye, covered above;)

Also, I don't believe everything I read when it comes to 'Specs' with Chinese brands, an experienced cynic Im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Whatever about the money - The Samsung S5 is absolutely horrible to hold in hand. The silver bumper is very plastic-y and feels incredibly cheap, while the faux-leather back does not do it for me. I couldnt believe it when I first held it.

I would really recommend the HTC M8 over the Samsung S5 - or at least get the S5 in your hand before committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

A €156 greater initial outlay for an overall saving of €402. Will the S5 be worth that much more in 2 years? Are there many people in the market for 2 year old phones? iPhones are the only phones that really hold their value.

Let's say the nexus depreciates by 75% and the S5 by 50%. Assuming the value of the S5 is €500 and the Nexus €200. In theory I'll sell my Nexus for €50 and the S5 is worth €250 after 2 years (I'm being very generous with the figures here) then you'll still be €202 better off buying the Nexus 4 and have no ties to a contract.

Like I said it's a bargain if you want the S5 but the S5 itself is not value for money when looking at the competitors, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Why not compare it to the Nexus 5 which is only €350? Other than the camera there is nothing else better than Nexus 5 that makes the S5 worth paying so much money for.
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S5,Google-Nexus-4,Google-Nexus-5/phones/8202,7531,8148

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

The penny pinchers are out in force today.

Etnies wrote: »
    The penny pinchers are out in force today.

Welcome to bargain alerts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Why not compare it to the Nexus 5 which is only €350? Other than the camera there is nothing else better than Nexus 5 that makes the S5 worth paying so much money for.
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S5,Google-Nexus-4,Google-Nexus-5/phones/8202,7531,8148

This thread of whinging is still going?

If you're going to say there's no difference between the nexus 5 and the s5 I don't know what tell you.

Newer chipset?
    Removable battery?
    SD card storage?
    Waterproof?
    Better camera?
    Better screen?
    Better battery life?
    Usb 3?
    Assuming you've no interest in the heart rate monitor/fingerprint scanner/other gimmicks from Samsung.

"I prefer the nexus and I personally don't see the need to upgrade" is not the same as "this isn't a cheap deal for this product".

This thread of whinging is still going?

If you're going to say there's no difference between the nexus 5 and the s5 I don't know what tell you.

Newer chipset?
    Removable battery?
    SD card storage?
    Waterproof?
    Better camera?
    Better screen?
    Better battery life?
    Usb 3?
    Assuming you've no interest in the heart rate monitor/fingerprint scanner/other gimmicks from Samsung.

"I prefer the nexus and I personally don't see the need to upgrade" is not the same as "this isn't a cheap deal for this product".

Negligible and not worth nearly 200 quid extra, then they ruin all the gains by slowing the device with their own Touchwiz crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Welcome to bargain alerts

Says the 5 month old account with almost 1500 posts. Sigh.

Etnies wrote: »
    Says the 5 month old account with almost 1500 posts. Sigh.

You must be new here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Negligible and not worth nearly 200 quid extra, then they ruin all the gains by slowing the device with their own Touchwiz crap

*to you* not *to everyone*.

I wouldn't take the nexus if it was free because the lack of sd card and removable battery is a killer, but that doesn't mean that a free nexus wouldn't be considered a bargain by many.

I'll ask you to stick to the forum guidelines:

Please tell people where they can get *this product* cheaper elsewhere, other than the options I've already given. Anything else is irrelevant, off topic and not helpful.

• Advertisement

This could only be a bargain to someone who considers paying €530+ for an S5 a bargain, the majority of the posters here don't agree.

Advertisement