Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Irish Cartoon In Aus Newspaper

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Must dash in to say "People look for any reason to be offended". "These days".

I don't find it offensive but it is derogatory and not coming from a good-natured place. There's no need to be pretending that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

No matter what we are in life, who we are, as long as we are Irish, we will always be looked down upon, by many Brits, Australians and others. It makes them feel better. Who gives a f**k, we are better than all of them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I wonder if those offended are the same people who don fake ginger beards and leprechaun hats every March 17th. There must be some overlap.

Highly likely, methinks.
    Mr.Micro wrote: »
    No matter what we are in life, who we are, as long as we are Irish, we will always be looked down upon, by many Brits, Australians and others. It makes them feel better. Who gives a f**k, we are better than all of them. :)

Ah, it didn't take too long for the Brits to be brought into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If you look at the last words on the captions, it says colleens the lot of em, can you not see the bitterness here, swap the word colleen with something else.

Like Nuala? We've loads of Nualas, and Australia doesn't have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

Oz has girls called Colleen.
    We have girls called Sheila.
    Fair dinkum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mr.Micro wrote: »

It's to do with the excellence of our poverty. The likes of us will not be there again, go brónach! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

One crap cartoonist ≠ the opinion of an entire nation.

CJC999 wrote: »
    It's people like you taking offence at every little attempt at humour that has created the PC monster that blights every aspect of our lives.
    Lol. Just goes to show the meaninglessness of that phrase (sure; it "blights every aspect of our lives"):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91642974&postcount=81

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Magaggie wrote: »
    Lol. Just goes to show the meaninglessness of that phrase (sure; it "blights every aspect of our lives"):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91642974&postcount=81
    I was waiting to see some of the" damn you, PC brigade" types get all offended here... So the OP being one is pretty priceless. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

No Kangaroo burgers for me tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm with the OP - we demand blood, and the beheading of the cartoonist!!

/rabble rabble

Billy86 wrote: »
    I was waiting to see some of the" damn you, PC brigade" types get all offended here... So the OP being one is pretty priceless. :D
    OutVizes Viz. :)

iDave wrote: »
    Not offensive but then again I don't care what people from a glorified prison colony think.
    chrysagon wrote: »
    Wouldnt mind a bunch of mongrels decended from convicts who talk like they have barbed wired stuck in their mouths, as they salute a flag with the union jack on it!!
    lightspeed wrote: »
    I've never understood the pull people have to that place.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/comic-west-australian-irish-nurses-1615540-Aug2014/

Yet again Australia strikes with yet more racism directed at another nationality.
    Something seriously wrong with that country, imagine if such a cartoon was printed in the USA or the UK in this day and age, quite simply it would not because we no longer live in the dark and racist 1800's.
    Looking forward to the usual replies that Aus is not one of the most racist countries in the western world.

So one cartoon appears in one newspaper and the response from you guys to this perceived racism is to generalise them as a whole nation and respond with a few stereotypes of your own?

Bit of perspective here guys your way too sensitive. Any Australian national ive been lucky enough to come across are always pleasant and polite people. Of course just like Ireland they will have their morons and just like Ireland these morons may even do drawings or write articles for Newspapers.

The funny thing about Australia is that its such a diverse nation that its quite bizarre to think that the odd eejit can be so xenophobic but as they say it really does take all sorts to make the world go round. Most Aussies are actually very enlightening to be around. I wont tar them all with the one brush

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

http://www.thejournal.ie/comic-west-australian-irish-nurses-1615540-Aug2014/

Yet again Australia strikes with yet more racism directed at another nationality.
    Something seriously wrong with that country, imagine if such a cartoon was printed in the USA or the UK in this day and age, quite simply it would not because we no longer live in the dark and racist 1800's.
    Looking forward to the usual replies that Aus is not one of the most racist countries in the western world.

You can have my opinion when you can point out where the racism is.

Here's a hint: The Irish are not a race.

...Any Australian national ive been lucky enough to come across are always pleasant and polite people...

Nonsense. Australians are all uncouth, rough-living bumpkins who are all named "Bruce", as this documentary demonstrates:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Whats the difference between buffalo and a bison?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I am pie wrote: »
    I've no idea, but I suspect this the Australian version of Daily Mail/Express is it? Probably don't need to close the embassy just yet.
    It is rabidly right wing/conservative, even by Australian standards, which is quite a feat in a market dominated by Murdoch media.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    It is rabidly right wing/conservative, even by Australian standards, which is quite a feat in a market dominated by Murdoch media.

That would put it about half-way to Chile! :pac:

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Whats the difference between buffalo and a bison?

Y'can't wash yerself in a flamin' buffalo, ya mongrel! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

jimgoose wrote: »
    Y'can't wash yerself in a flamin' buffalo, ya mongrel! :D

Ha, and I thought "Yabby Creek" was a euphenism for some sort of dodgy infection down under, as it were. :eek:

• Advertisement

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Ha, and I thought "Yabby Creek" was a euphenism for some sort of dodgy infection down under, as it were. :eek:

"Nah, not tonoight cobber, Oi got Yabby Creek - but yer can do me up the jacksie!!" :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Racism and xenophobic Australians? Well I never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Australian Cultural Attaché might have some thoughts on this.

The Australian Cultural Attaché might have some thoughts on this.

That'll have to wait - he's gone Walkabout beyond Ayers Rock, maltreatin' the Abbos! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

CJC999 wrote: »
    Just shut up. It's people like you taking offence at every little attempt at humour that has created the PC monster that blights every aspect of our lives. It's a stupid joke, who cares.

....you sound offended...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

jimgoose wrote: »
    That'll have to wait - he's gone Walkabout beyond Ayers Rock, maltreatin' the Abbos! :D

I thought the Australians referred to them as "The Dark Fellas"?

josip wrote: »
    I thought the Australians referred to them as "The Dark Fellas"?

No, they refer to themselves as "Blackfellas", and to he convict gallahs as "Whitefellas".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Potato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

PC Monster !

Did the brigade get disbanded and decide the only way they could make an impact was to monster up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Like many others I did a stint down there. I have travelled extensively and never have experienced the full on racism and astonishing stupidity that only the australians seem capable of.

In fact I left with months left on my visa as their stupidity totally engulfed me.

On the other hand any aussie you meet here or anywhere bar their own country seem to be ok. Travel does indeed broaden their minds.

Advertisement