Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Irish Cartoon In Aus Newspaper

Options
  • 12-08-2014 12:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/comic-west-australian-irish-nurses-1615540-Aug2014/

Yet again Australia strikes with yet more racism directed at another nationality.
    Something seriously wrong with that country, imagine if such a cartoon was printed in the USA or the UK in this day and age, quite simply it would not because we no longer live in the dark and racist 1800's.
    Looking forward to the usual replies that Aus is not one of the most racist countries in the western world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

More painfully unfunny than offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

They shouldn't generalise like that, that's what they do in Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Is there a joke in that cartoon? I don't get it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's not really funny.
    And it's not really insulting.
    It's just blah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yet again Australia strikes with yet more racism directed at another nationality.
    Can racism be directed at a nationality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Just shut up. It's people like you taking offence at every little attempt at humour that has created the PC monster that blights every aspect of our lives. It's a stupid joke, who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I wonder how many Irish people named Colleen they've met in real life.

elefant wrote: »
    Is there a joke in that cartoon? I don't get it...
    Loads of Irish nurses in Australia, and get this: They are all called "Colleen"!!!

PSML.

Tears rolling down my face. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

KungPao wrote: »
    More painfully unfunny than offensive.

This.

Offensive is the fact that the Aussies import staff they don't have to pay to train from struggling countries like Ireland who in turn strip the third world of doctors and nurses to replace them, all because our broken health systems prefer easy fixes instead of structural change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I don't really see the joke?, is it the whole leprechaun thing?

I think some people make it their goal to be offended with something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Not offensive but then again I don't care what people from a glorified prison colony think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Weirdly, I think this would be offensive if it was from a us or UK paper. But Australia... It's like when a five year is having a tantrum and trying to call you a rude name. It's annoying but also kinda funny in a cute way.

Dolbert wrote: »
    The only one that even springs to mind is Wayne Rooney's missus. I have never known a "Colleen".

Dolbert wrote: »

There's a colleen on home and away

There's a colleen on home and away
    And some sweets called that. Any more?

And some sweets called that. Any more?
    Colleen Nolan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

About on par with general Australian 'humour' e.g. not funny, boring and a bit obnoxious. Like your average Australian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Wouldnt mind a bunch of mongrels decended from convicts who talk like they have barbed wired stuck in their mouths, as they salute a flag with the union jack on it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I am just so offended right now. Why did this have to happen? Literally, all of 2014 ruined for me.

chrysagon wrote: »
    Wouldnt mind a bunch of mongrels decended from convicts who talk like they have barbed wired stuck in their mouths, as they salute a flag with the union jack on it!!
    Rack off you flamin' drongo!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Very m'eh.

Though it is still technically an opportunity for outrage.

Save it in the outrage box, it can be used later.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I don't know any Irish girl called Colleen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

chrysagon wrote: »

This post is far more offensive than the silly cartoon!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

http://www.thejournal.ie/comic-west-australian-irish-nurses-1615540-Aug2014/

Something seriously wrong with that country, imagine if such a cartoon was printed in the USA or the UK in this day and age, quite simply it would not because we no longer live in the dark and racist 1800's.
    Looking forward to the usual replies that Aus is not one of the most racist countries in the western world.
    Have to laugh at someone expressing outrage at a country's perceived "racism", by tarring the whole nation as racists. Delicious irony.

Give it up, Jonjo. We get it, you had a shit time over there a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Rack off you flamin' drongo!

i've gotta tell the prime minister!

'OI! Mista Prime Minista!'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Taco Chips wrote: »
    I don't know any Irish girl called Colleen?

The only place I ever encounter girls called Colleen or Erin tend to be places like America and Australia where those of Irish descent call their kids names vaguely refrencing 'the old country', thus calling them a bastardizations of Gaelic words for things like 'girl' Cailin or Ireland 'Erin'. It's the the Irish American equivalent of African Americans giving their kids a strong 'African name' like Shaniqua....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

That's not racist. It's a bad, stupid joke.
    if you're offended by that, there's something wrong with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Stone the flamin' crows.
    Streuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

People look for any reason to get outraged, So it's ok for us to promote Patricks day with leprechauns red hair stupid hats. River dance is offensive now ? Not like we tried to promote Irish dance at all....

• Advertisement

i've gotta tell the prime minister!

'OI! Mista Prime Minista!'
    ANDY!!!

Advertisement