Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time you played a DVD/CD/VHS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'll be digging out my old VHS copy of Awakenings tonight, one of my favourite Robin Williams films. Hope it still works!

And tissues, don't forget the tissues. The guy could get tears out of a stone.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    And tissues, don't forget the tissues. The guy could get tears out of a stone.;)

For sure. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There was a time when I used to burn a CD copy of every MP3 album I downloaded from Napster and the likes.

I was convinced there'd come a time when it would be cracked down on so tried to amass as much as I could. (bear in mind, this is probably between 1999-2002 or so, my harddrive was about 4GB in total!)

A friend sold vinyl/CDs as part of a business, so always had loads of empty jewel cases for some reason - would drop boxes of them over to me for free.

So in the end I had this huge collection of hundreds of burned CDs, all on shelves in nice cases with labels I'd made.

That big crackdown never came. Hard drive sizes increased hugely. Streaming services came into being. All my efforts, pointless!

I was clearing out the parents attic last year and came across all these CDs. Ended up just flinging them all in the bin :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What's all this futuristic stuff? I'm still using LVC tapes here, those CED's are bloody expensive. I'm looking foreward to these new Laserdiscs :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

When archaeologists wonder what culture was like now, hundreds of years from now they're going to dig up a load of hard drives and not be able to read them and wonder "what the **** happened"

That's actually pretty sad

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Adamantium wrote: »
    When archaeologists wonder what culture was like now, hundreds of years from now they're going to dig up a load of hard drives and not be able to read them and wonder "what the **** happened"

That's actually pretty sad

All media deteriorates really. Even if we were still using discs, cartridges, vinyl, tape etc, it wouldn't work in a few hundred years anyway. (obviously different medias have different speeds of degrading, but they all get there in the end) So they'd still be just digging up useless plastic.

We need to go back to carving things in stone :pac:

I've made the change from print books to Kindle, I haven't watched a DVD in years, but I still like CD's.

That said, I moved fairly recently and it's a much easier endeavour without several metric tonnes of books, DVD's and CDs. My entire music and DVD collections are on a hard drive now. It's the size of a small paperback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

On a visit to the attic last night I spotted our old boxed up DVD collection.
    I remember putting them up here the time of the heavy snow which was Dec 2010, they probably hadn't been played for a few years before that.

I've kids that have never played a CD or DVD in their lives, the latest laptop we purchased didn't even come with an optical drive.

I never thought I'd witness the death of physical media in my lifetime, the artwork, the booklet, the notes, the feel of the package used to ad to the experience yet we found it easy to say goodbye once the ease of downloading took over.

Anyway, what was the last time you played a piece of physical media ?.

CD - This morning in the car

DVD - Last night with the missus

VHS - Can't remember, looooooong time ago!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't play DVD's or CD's at all myself, but every now and again when I'm out at home, it's actually a really nice feeling to put CD's on and relax with a few drinks!

As for VHS, eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

o1s1n wrote: »
    All media deteriorates really. Even if we were still using discs, cartridges, vinyl, tape etc, it wouldn't work in a few hundred years anyway. (obviously different medias have different speeds of degrading, but they all get there in the end) So they'd still be just digging up useless plastic.

We need to go back to carving things in stone :pac:
    The art will just keep being transferred to new mediums, like the way ancient silent movies can be downloaded or bought on DVDs. Or, worst case, the music chords/notes and movie scripts will be found on paper. We still have the dead sea scrolls after all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

CD fairly regularly at home and in the car.
    Borrow DVDs from the library...for kids movies. My 6 year old likes the DVD even if we have the movie on our media player.
    Threw away my vhs player last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

CDs - I would play CD's in my car except for the player is fúcked and wont eject the disk unless it feels like it. So I stick to an MP3 player with some albums on it.

DVD - Used to go to a local Xtravision to rent very often, but now I finally have 10mb broadband out in the sticks, I never do. Watch something from my own collection the odd time and still get something from screenclick in the post when I want a bluray quality picture.

VHS - I recorded Euro 2000 matches on VHS which are in the attic. That winter I got a Playstation 2. That was the end of VHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Was at the in laws and they have a video player was putting on a cartoon for the little fella. Told him we had to wait to rewind the tape. "Is it downloading?" he asks he's feckin three!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Anyone know where I can get a handle for winding up a gramophone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I've a friend who's a bit of a bollix, he'd wind anything up!

Master of the Universe

KungPao wrote: »
    The art will just keep being transferred to new mediums, like the way ancient silent movies can be downloaded or bought on DVDs. Or, worst case, the music chords/notes and movie scripts will be found on paper. We still have the dead sea scrolls after all!

Actually, older film is an interesting one, as it's a great example of what Adamantium brought up.

A huge percentage of classic film has been lost forever due to the volatility of the original stock it was developed on.

Unfortunately that's just the way it goes. Sure, we have lots of remains of the dead sea scrolls, but on the other hand, what ancient human knowledge was lost when the library of Alexandria burned down? Scrolls are quite the flammable substance :(

I'd like to think we've developed to a point where we now have our knowledge and media spread so much that it could never really be lost as you said...

Although, how about a giant EMP surge caused by a solar flare?

/goes back to his chisel and stone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

On a visit to the attic last night I spotted our old boxed up DVD collection.
    I remember putting them up here the time of the heavy snow which was Dec 2010, they probably hadn't been played for a few years before that.

I've kids that have never played a CD or DVD in their lives, the latest laptop we purchased didn't even come with an optical drive.

I never thought I'd witness the death of physical media in my lifetime, the artwork, the booklet, the notes, the feel of the package used to ad to the experience yet we found it easy to say goodbye once the ease of downloading took over.

Anyway, what was the last time you played a piece of physical media ?.

VHS about 12 years ago, CD about 4 years ago (I listen to vinyl only know and love it), DVD 2 years, Blu Ray last week (Blade Runner).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

dvd about a year

cd hmmmm...about 10?

vhs 15?

never have or will do blue ray (extreme detail doesnt matter to me, prefer to watch something rather than...... content over graphics I mean, and not a gamer waaaaaaaaay past that stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

antiques roadshow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

All of my albums are stored carefully in a corner at home, preserved with a nice big thick layer of dust on all sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

When has someone played one of these?
    duran-duran-rio-album-uk-cassette-blue-print-523-p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

DVD: three weeks ago
    CD: yesterday (in car)
    VHS: an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Regularly listen to CDs and watch DVDs. Can't really remember the last time I watched a VHS, I think our VCR at home blew up around 04/05 and was never replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 new old poster

never used one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

FatherTed wrote: »
    When has someone played one of these?
    duran-duran-rio-album-uk-cassette-blue-print-523-p.jpg

Just bought an Hitachi portable cassette recorder from a charity shop for €15 last week - amazing sound and great built in microphone. I've piles of audio tapes and still buy pre-recorded audio books etc. as many are not otherwise available. I wisely bought an EnVivo Cassette/CD converter http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/archive-electronics/envivo-cassette-converter/#/sort/price/dir/asc?&_suid=1408004008756022790650883689523 from Lidl (€10) last year and have thus converted many heirloom tapes to CD effortlessly. I still have a Sony CD/Twin Cassette system which also sees regular use. It's easy to scoff at past technology but for the collector it's best to be prepared so that you can deal with any material. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Last CD I ever bought was Korn's Path of Totality album about two years ago. Last listened to it about a year ago.
    DVDs: We regularly watch DVDs in this house as my stepdad has a massive collection. Last night we threw on Unforgiven.
    VHS: Can't remember but my mother has a few key historical moments recorded on them such as the Clinton/Monica Lewinski scandal and Lady Diana's death news report. They're in a box up in the attic somewhere.
    Blku-Ray: Watched the second Hobbit movie a few weeks ago. Gorgeous quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JBRowan

i think last time I played them was back in 19-Dick-a-de-Something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

JBRowan wrote: »
    i think last time I played them was back in 19-Dick-a-de-Something

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Em, watching a dvd right now, Jumanji in commemmoration :(, and listened to cds a few days ago!

Tbh, I am and always will be retro with technology to the best that I can, I have an mp3 and use it most of the time when out on the bus etc, I have cds and listen to them still - Id still use a walkman if they still sold them/cassettes :p, The only reason I changed from VHS to Dvd was because videos were getting very scarce to buy and my video player was going a bit bust anyway, plus I got a dvd player as a xmas present back in 2004!

The only piece of "new" technology that I like and wouldnt take back would be my laptop/smartphone, they work for me :), but Ive no real interest in Iphones/Ipads etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

VHS - honestly cant remember, years ago
    DVD - few months maybe. Some of my favourite movies are on DVDs so I'll dig them out now & then
    CDs - every few days. I'm too lazy to put all my music on the phone/ipod/tablet. Only the favourites are on them. I love buying a CD still.
    Books - dont own & probably never will own a Kindle, I love books & have thousands.

As you can imagine, my house is a bit cluttered!!

Advertisement