Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time you played a DVD/CD/VHS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

DVD - last night (24 Series 6) and frequently.

VHS not for a while as my player's heads need replacing....and I have some brand new VHS movies that I'm dying to watch. Seriously tempted to buy a new VHS/DVD combi while they are still available. Many worthwhile movies have never made it to DVD.

CD - never was big into them and while I still have some I'm more inclined to delve into my Grooveshark library.

LPs - still have a few and occasionally toy with the idea of getting a new player but will probably never get round to it. Now a Jukebox, with full visibility of the workings, full of 1970s 45s...that's a different matter and on my wants list. :D

c_man wrote: »
    God I hate clutter. A little anonymous server is heaven for the likes of me.

I have close to 1000 Blu-Rays on shelves and it doesn't look cluttered at all. In fact it looks rather nice and I often find myself losing half an hour going through them trying to decide what I want to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Blu-ray is better video quality than streaming hd and the audio quality is way better.
    And you get bonus features. And there's a better choice of films.
    Why would I give that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I have close to 1000 Blu-Rays on shelves and it doesn't look cluttered at all. In fact it looks rather nice and I often find myself losing half an hour going through them trying to decide what I want to watch.
    The correct answer is Midnight Run, it's always time to watch that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Last year for vhs,I was watching some films from manga collection,angel cop,fist of the north star,cyber city :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Last time I put on a DVD was Sunday morning, CD maybe the other day? I don't know

Don't really buy many DVDs anymore, but if there's a good anime series, I'll probably want to get that on Bluray. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cd, would have been last week, after getting bored of listening to radio in the kitchen.

Dvd would have been within the last couple of months. Vhs too.

My kid is going to know all about rewinding the tape when finished!

Links234 wrote: »
    Last time I put on a DVD was Sunday morning
    Live aus Berlin?
    CD maybe the other day? I don't know

Live aus Berlin, wasn't it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

mad muffin wrote: »
    I'm still using 8 tracks and Betamax.

I am probably the only one here who knows what you are talking about:D

On par with asking a young person to "wind the window down" in the car....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I am probably the only one here who knows what you are talking about:D...

I wouldn't bet on it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I watch DVDs pretty regularly. I like to collect boxsets, I'd miss them if they were gone completely

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

CDs every day, DVDs not very often. And when I get the chance every few weeks, some vinyl. Nothing like poring over the artwork and notes with some beer while you listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Watched a couple of DVDs on the weekend. Haven't touch a CD since Spotify though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wind'em down? I remember popping the windows out!

One thing people don't seem to think about when they're looking at the likes of netflix is that it's all well and good for popular shows and movies, but once you get into more niche interests, they're not great. I remember on another forum people were giving out loads because they were watching Farscape on netflix and then all of a sudden the whole show was gone, or someone on boards was asking for a recommendation of a good anime show available on netflix, and people were saying there was sweet **** all on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

DVD last weekend, but buying BluRay mostly now.
    CDs most days in the car
    VHS about 6 years ago

CD very regularly in the car, but hard to beat the Ipod on a long drive ( no fluting about trying to put CDs back in cases
    DVD a few times over last weekend
    VHS, not in years.

I also uses a Kindle, but still have a lot of books. I love the idea of books and CDs on shelves, I always find when you are in someones home for the first time, you can get a good idea of the type of person they really are by looking at their collections.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I think you underestimate the ages of a lot of posters here :D

I still have a reel-to-reel that I use now and again, plus a betamax player that's sitting in a press somewhere, still in working order. You'd be surprised when they come in handy - I've been asked by a few people over the years to encode various old formats to something that they can play on their computer.

And I've had the pop out windows (Datsun Cherry) and the slidey-to-one-side windows (Renault 4). 'Wind the window down'... pfft, we could only dream of such things :p

One thing people don't seem to think about when they're looking at the likes of netflix is that it's all well and good for popular shows and movies, but once you get into more niche interests, they're not great. I remember on another forum people were giving out loads because they were watching Farscape on netflix and then all of a sudden the whole show was gone, or someone on boards was asking for a recommendation of a good anime show available on netflix, and people were saying there was sweet **** all on there.

Yeah, thats something a bit annoying about netflix, my issue isnt so much the library overall, but the availability periods of items within it. You kinda never know whether or not to get stuck into something that'll run for a while.

Wind'em down? I remember popping the windows out!

Or "Fly" windows, ideal for emptying an ashtray full of Woodbine butts out on the road:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Rewind the video before you bring it back to the rental place!
    Maybe we can rent street fighter and play it if we pay the massive deposit :eek:

then go record some tapes off atlantic 252

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

VHS - Around 2000, I remember moving back to Ireland around that time and one of the first purchases was a DVD player.

CDs - 2005/2006. Ripped my whole CD collection around that time and had been using Amazon and 7Digital to purchase my music up until Spotify/Google Music came on the scene.

DVD - Cancelled my LoveFilm subscription 18 months ago, that was the last time I played a DVD. Everything is digital now.

Yeah, thats something a bit annoying about netflix, my issue isnt so much the library overall, but the availability periods of items within it. You kinda never know whether or not to get stuck into something that'll run for a while.

Of course, if you're into anime, then there's something Crunchyroll for example, but then you're running into problems of having different subscription services depending on the kind of show you have to watch. But if you're interested in other niche thing, you might be completely out of luck. Honestly, I don't think streaming media is the be all end all yet and physical media is gonna be relevant for quite a while to come.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Rewind the video before you bring it back to the rental place!
    Maybe we can rent street fighter and play it if we pay the massive deposit :eek:

then go record some tapes off atlantic 252
    I remember in the late '80s, some shady Del Boy style character used to drive around my area in a van renting out videos every Friday evening! Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Years. I buy and watch blu rays regularly, tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

KungPao wrote: »
    I remember in the late '80s, some shady Del Boy style character used to drive around my area in a van renting out videos every Friday evening! Good times.

Indeed!! I rember this too! There was something charming choosing videos out of a back of a van from some dodgy bloke. ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

While my 3yo Sony viao has Blu ray, my 1 year old Lenovo does not have blue ray playback capability - it just runs the original DVD standard. VHS - 5 years ago. I could do it now, but nah, this is an AH thread. CD - yeah, I still play my Classic Chillout and U2 1980 -1990 CD collections from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

mike_ie wrote: »
    the slidey-to-one-side windows (Renault 4). 'Wind the window down'... pfft, we could only dream of such things :p
    early Morris Mini's had them as well, in 1959. My primary school principal drove one such model around 1978.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think I've ever bought a DVD or owned a DVD-player apart from the one on my PC which I haven't opened in years. Moving house at the minute and there are several hundred kilos of books and CDs that could all fit on an SD card instead of cluttering up the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'll be digging out my old VHS copy of Awakenings tonight, one of my favourite Robin Williams films. Hope it still works!

Advertisement