Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sindo - Niamh Horan's Article on Women's Rugby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The club weren't happy about the retarded article either
    https://www.facebook.com/railwayunionrfc
    We were requested by the IRFU to facilitate a journalist from the Sunday Independent who wanted to do a training session and a feature on women's rugby in light of Ireland's world cup heroics. We are disappointed that what could have been a hugely positive article promoting women's rugby in Ireland at time of such achievement internationally has been reduced to stereotyping. The article in no way reflects our sport, its values and the values of our club and our members. Our club's primary goal is always the promotion of rugby, regardless of gender, and we support all teams in the club equally.

Balls.ie has a response too
    http://balls.ie/rugby/article-exactly-irish-womens-rugby-without/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The club weren't happy about the retarded article either
    https://www.facebook.com/railwayunionrfc

Balls.ie has a response too
    http://balls.ie/rugby/article-exactly-irish-womens-rugby-without/

Any responce to the criticism from Ms. Horan or the Indo, I wonder?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Is this the same person that purchased the over priced apartment, while her neighbours got it for much less and started to moan about it?

Or has the Indo they a very "special" team of reporters?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

And me thinking women played sports like athletes, that article rumbled my conceptions and truly opened my eyes....

Sports Presenter: So Aisling, ye had a difficult first half but managed to pull together and claw back some vital points. Was there much of a change to your team's tactics when......."

Aisling:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Magaggie wrote: »
    Feisty and strong independent women who don't need a man! #girlpower #heartcarrieandthegalz #livetoshop #luvmyrampantrabbit
    *translation* "independent" woman who can't find an actual man, but has to find solace with wishy washy "men" who circle around her, but don't rev her engine, as she watches her clock tick away.

"Articles" like this are rabble rousing clickbait and well the editors know it. There are a fair few of these "writers' they wheel out for this reason. Many news outlets do this, but the Irish scene seems to have a much higher proportion of them outside of obvious tabloids. Scarily a lot of these Irish clickbait peddlers actually don't realise it and think they're serious journalists which should be enough to put you in stitches laughing.
    wazky wrote: »
    In fairness I know sweet fa about being a journalist, but I reckon I could knock out something better than this.
    You probably could W. With a bit of basic training in the general rules.
    Rackstar wrote: »
    She has her head so far stuck up her hole she doesn't know whether to speak or fart
    It's official, I love you.
    Not really, any imbecile can call themselves a journalist. The only qualification
    required is an inability to feel shame.
    Connections are a big help, if not the biggest in the incestuous world that Irish "journalism" can be.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lapin wrote: »
    Fair play to Katy Harrington, Horan's colleague at the Sindo for this responding piece.
    That's a nice reply. But this line annoyed me:
    Gearoid McCarthy, made the point that the piece was “looking for a rise” and he may be correct, but I didn’t think newspapers or journalists wrote things purely for provocation
    Is she having a laugh? The daily mail journalism (the most popular newspaper website in the world) is built on this. The likes of Dunphy, Hook and Myres have built their careers on this, and the Indo has plenty of articles that are clearly doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The Independent has gone to ****e.

Clickbait articles and sensationalist headlines now make it more of a tabloid than a news source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Niamh Horan is the personification of the Celtic Tiger generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Niamh Horan is the personification of the Celtic Tiger generation.

She's like a poor man's Katie Hopkins (UK MOUTHPIECE)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin wrote: »
    Niamh Horan.

If a man wrote that there would be hell to pay.

Nice of Jonathon Healy on Newstalk Junchtime to quote me directly a few minutes ago during his feature on the piece. :)

Any responce to the criticism from Ms. Horan or the Indo, I wonder?

She said she'll respond in her column in next weeks Sindo. A classic duck & cover tactic and ploy to maintain her readership figures.

In relation to Katy Harrington's response
    Cienciano wrote: »
    That's a nice reply. But this line annoyed me:

"Gearoid McCarthy, made the point that the piece was “looking for a rise” and he may be correct, but I didn’t think newspapers or journalists wrote things purely for provocation".

Is she having a laugh? The daily mail journalism (the most popular newspaper website in the world) is built on this. The likes of Dunphy, Hook and Myres have built their careers on this, and the Indo has plenty of articles that are clearly doing it.

I agree, but one journalist isn't going to accuse another of being deliberately provocative especially when they are drawing a salary from the same publication. I reckon that line was thrown in as a sort of disclaimer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭berrygood

Well that was a depressing read!

Completely disrespectful to the women's rugby team and what they accomplished. FFS, she was given a chance to write an articulate, meaty piece on women's rugby and she churns out this pj party fluff.

And that threesome comment.... Ya, cos women can't gather in a group without indulging in a bit if lesbian sex, don't ya know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I would say journalism is tough in Ireland print media is declining, so she has enough sense to make herself stand out with her stuff, she know more expect some one to buy her dinner before taking her to bed it an act!, i.e let every other journalist do the women in sport earnest feminist bit and she dose the sex, a bit of titillation and anti feminist bit it as old as the hills.

mariaalice wrote: »
    I would say journalism is tough in Ireland print media is declining, so she has enough sense to make herself stand out with her stuff, she know more expect some one to buy her dinner before taking her to bed it an act!, i.e let every other journalist do the women in sport earnest feminist bit and she dose the sex anti feminist bit it as old as the hills.

It's backfiring a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

she is the archetypal Bimbo and she's writing for the Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's backfiring a bit...

Its hard to get the balance right unless you are a very good at what you do.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its hard to get the balance right unless you are a very good at what you do.

She's not coming across as being very good at what she does. She's coming across (refering to more than this article) as sloppy, unable to gauge public opinion, egotistical and somewhat dimwitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The only shocking thing about this is that people still expect better from the (S)Indo.

The paper's been a rag for well over a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I'm sure after this article nobody (including many who'd never even heard of the woman before this went viral) will bother to read her next one. And the one after that. And so on.

Just like how nobody watches Fox news reports or reads Daily Mail articles.

The important thing in media, as far as the outlets are concerned are readership and viewers. It's not really important whether we agree or not.
    If it provokes an emotional response that gets you or I publicising their crap, they've won.

Clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I genuinely think Horan's job title is "clickbait correspondent"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Damned by TV3 hackett - things are bad when this happens.
    Michelle Lynch @MichelleTV3 · 4m

Just read Niamh Horan's rugby article.I'm gonna say that she has to pretend to be a total ditz for her work,as there's no other explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As I bent over with a blonde's hand slipping around the top of my thigh, I pondered how there are worse ways to burn 
calories on a sleepy Thursday evening.

Now usually I'd make someone buy me dinner before getting into this position....

Dafuq? Slapper.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

she is the archetypal Bimbo and she's writing for the Indo

This sounds like the beginning of a good song

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This sounds like the beginning of a good song

Or a Bel Air

Now this is a story all about how,
    My life got flipped-turned upside down
    And I'd like to take a minute
    Just sit right there
    I'll tell you how I became the bimbo of a paper called the Indo

In West Dun Laoghaire, born and raised,
    On the tanning bed is where I spend most of my days,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
    Gettin' manicures, maybe pedicures too
    When a couple of girls who were up to no good
    Started making trouble in my neighborhood
    I got in one bitch fight and called a bimbo
    Mom said 'You're finishing college and getting a job at the Indo'

I whistled for a job and when it came near
    The tagline said clickbait and I was pretty in the mirror
    If anything I could say that this job was in limbo
    But I thought 'Nah, forget it - yo, homes to the Indo'

I pulled up to the Indo about 7 or 8
    And I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later'
    I looked at my kingdom
    I was finally there
    To be the archetypal bimbo at the Sunday Indo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ironic that a woman wrote this stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly baffled how Niamh Horan is still being paid to produce this kind of drivel. Does anyone at the Indo actually read her word vomit?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I genuinely think Horan's job title is "clickbait correspondent"

That would only make sense if the bulk of their focus was online but it's not. It's astounding that she continues to be employed as a writer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Sleepy wrote: »
    The paper's been a rag for well over a decade.

Anyone remember the '03 Girls? Was always good for a 'tasteful' accompanying photoshoot as I recall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement