Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sindo - Niamh Horan's Article on Women's Rugby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

ThisRegard wrote: »
    For real ? Ah, I thought it was going to happen.

Never mind.
    You can always spend the time working on your analogies instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭berrygood

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Right, here's her reply to "the online mob"...

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/i-would-rather-be-hated-for-what-i-am-than-liked-for-what-i-pretend-to-be-30513857.html

and that's the last time I'm ever going to read anything written by Niamh Horan. It's utter tripe.

And this is an actual adult? She's more like a child playing dress up.

And the shots she was taking at Mulally - I'm surprised she didn't just go ahead and say "I'm rubber and you're glue".

Her personality is the equivalent of nails on a blackboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I just read her "response" a while ago and honestly can't understand how that made it past an editor. It's like something you'd read on facebook.

I didn't think my opinion of the SI could get any lower but i was wrong. I could have taken a dump on a piece of paper and printed that and it still would be a better quality of journalism than what Niamh comes out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Stumbled upon this thread....
    Stumbled upon the reply-article...

What the actual **** is this?
    Who the hell is this dope?
    This is so cringe....

I actually don't know how to react
    Outrage?
    Pity?
    Sadness?
    Aloofness?

What a ****ing grade A dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I bet she is at home fapping to all the attention her shallow idiotic droning is getting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I bet she is at home fapping to all the attention her shallow idiotic droning is getting.

With her cloths OFF... shocker!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

smash wrote: »
    With her cloths OFF... shocker!!!!

Playing ruggers !

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

LiveIsLife wrote: »
    I don't get all the sex references, what is she trying to prove with them?

Its another percieved stereotype of hers: that us interwebs people are sad lonely virgins.

Only SATC wannabees get laid yanno. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

"And being all round kick-ass on the pitch",ha ha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

for gods sake stop talking about the talent-less hack and might be she ll go away.

surely people realize its a shallow a low brow ploy for publicity from a petty exploitative soon to be forgotten waste of ink and paper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

What really irks me is that there is a very talented female sports writer working for the Sindo. I went to college with her, and she's incredibly hard-working. She recently wrote an excellent piece on a Cork camogie player. Probably the best written article that appeared in the Sindo that week.

They could have sent her to interview the Railway Union team, but instead they sent Niamh Horan? Why?

The more I read about it, it seems to me a manufactured controversy. Horan writes terrible article, Sarah Carey stands up for her. They whip up a bit of a storm on social media, and the next week Horan plays the victim.

Irish print media is in a disgusting state. I'm not blowing my own trumpet but I'd have been able to put out an article twenty times better than the one Horan did. So would every other person in my class. Most of us aren't in journalism anymore and those who are aren't getting paid most of the time. I wanted to be a journalist since I was seven. And I am not even one bit sorry I gave up on it. It's a dead industry and people like Horan really show how far it's fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I could go out and play for Barcelona tomorrow. I can't kick a ball straight, if at all. I can guarantee I'll be discussed by all the sporting media and forums for days afterwards.

It's great to know that I'm going to be a successful soccer player.
    I very much doubt you could.

If the manager wanted everybody to search and comment on Barcelona tomorrow, then yeah, he/she could.
    Watch me.
    That'll prove difficult, considering they're not playing.

Yeah, they are: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/17/luis-suarez-barcelona-friendly-leon-monday

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/match-archive/2014-2015/joan-gamper-trophy/fc-barcelona_leon-f-c

You could always do some research you know. People do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,254 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Birneybau wrote: »
    You could always do some research you know. People who aren't Niamh Horan do that.

FYP

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

FYP

Well, that was the implication...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

beks101 wrote: »
    With respect, tough sh1t. Journalists get assigned to stories they know sweet fcuk-all about all the time.
    Happens me every other day. Canadian hockey championships. AR15 semi-automatics and their use in US school shootings. Pakistani politics. Independence Day in Indonesia.

My opinion and my lack of knowledge at the starting point is irrelevant – the job requires that I know my **** and my training as a journalist is to gather all the available facts, sometimes at an hour’s notice.
    I remember being sent to review an interpretative dance display for the arts page because the usual person was on holidays. The fact I barely knew what interpretative dance meant, didn't matter a jot.

A handful of people keep going on about her being a good journalist, well versed in her trade. She's a journalist in that she writes for a newspaper. It needs to be realised that *anyone* can write for a newspaper, particularly opinion/feature stuff. Writing for a newspaper in and of itself does not automatically make one a skilled journalist. It doesn't mean she went to college and studied journalism. It means she can write "sassy" stuff. Fluff, not very original - what you'd find in More! magazine - but she can write it. It's silly of people to talk about her as if she's along similar lines to Miriam O'Callaghan.
    I'd agree on the fellow journos/media-heads defending her out of a sense of altruism. They're peers/friends after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

ivytwine wrote: »
    What really irks me is that there is a very talented female sports writer working for the Sindo. I went to college with her, and she's incredibly hard-working. She recently wrote an excellent piece on a Cork camogie player. Probably the best written article that appeared in the Sindo that week.

They could have sent her to interview the Railway Union team, but instead they sent Niamh Horan? Why?

The more I read about it, it seems to me a manufactured controversy. Horan writes terrible article, Sarah Carey stands up for her. They whip up a bit of a storm on social media, and the next week Horan plays the victim.

Irish print media is in a disgusting state. I'm not blowing my own trumpet but I'd have been able to put out an article twenty times better than the one Horan did. So would every other person in my class. Most of us aren't in journalism anymore and those who are aren't getting paid most of the time. I wanted to be a journalist since I was seven. And I am not even one bit sorry I gave up on it. It's a dead industry and people like Horan really show how far it's fallen.

You have put into words well chosen ,how a lot of people feel.

I find it disturbing that a country with such a reputation for the written word,is subjected to this.

The galling chancers that they are,try to pass this off as journalism.

They then try to claim that they represent the national interest of the middle class etc,blah,blah

Horan is not alone,her article is just another example of the total disregard for dignified and constructive journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

While looking at some of the articles related to this in the sindo (couldn't get past the first paragraph of most of them) I kept noticing this link to piece about Mussolini's holiday home bing for sale, eventually curiosity got the better of me. Am I missing some thing or have they got the caption for there picture directly from 1936 or some thing with out even thinking to update it?
    . The leader and inspiration of the cause of Italy in Africa, Il Duce Benito Mussolini, is shown in this new character-portrait in full Fascist uniform. Rome knows this pose of Mussolini well. It is the familiar stance of their leader as he adresses them from his rostrum-balcony of Venezia Palace - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/world-news/available-to-let-mussolinis-greek-retirement-villa-30513870.html#sthash.4v0APmju.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,914 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

While looking at some of the articles related to this in the sindo (couldn't get past the first paragraph of most of them) I kept noticing this link to piece about Mussolini's holiday home bing for sale, eventually curiosity got the better of me. Am I missing some thing or have they got the caption for there picture directly from 1936 or some thing with out even thinking to update it?
    Ha, classic, Id love them to do something similar with a caption praising Hitler, the Israeli Embassy Twitter would love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The Indo fired all their sub editors a while ago (and asked the general public to do this work instead) and although subbies wouldn't be writing captions it does indeed seem like a very odd caption. Seems like a copy and paste from another piece.

Thargor wrote: »
    Ha, classic, Id love them to do something similar with a caption praising Hitler, the Israeli Embassy Twitter would love that.

Indeed, while the reference to Africa (read Ethiopia) in the Mussolini caption is particularly offensive, you are right that they are lucky they didn't publish a photo of Hitler with a similarly gushing caption.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The Indo fired all their sub editors a while ago (and asked the general public to do this work instead) and although subbies wouldn't be writing captions it does indeed seem like a very odd caption. Seems like a copy and paste from another piece.

Copy and paste from where though, the caption reads like a Fascist propaganda* piece from before the start of World War Two.

* For once I can use those two terms without being guilty of hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Copy and paste from where though, the caption reads like a Fascist propaganda* piece from before the start of World War Two.

The Daily Mail presumably?

Probably google images was used and then the photo was clicked and they blindly followed the link without batting an eyelid that it was propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,254 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Bingo.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

Is there some confusion regarding people who have done something as against someone who has written something?

If you don't like it don't read it - very simple.

Personally, I'm loving the mouth-breathing indignation as everyone tries to circle-jerk themselves into a froth of outrage, so to speak.

You've implied the sole purpose of a journalist is to get exposure and get talked about. That essentially negates the importance of journalistic talent and integrity in lieu of outraged and demoralised readership figures.
    You could argue that Jimmy saville as a tv personality was expected to get as much exposure as possible (pardon the pun) and sure jaysus look at him now, a towering pinnacle for public scrutiny and personal opinion pieces and no doubt will be talked about for years to come. Does this in essence make him an extraordinarily successful (albeit dead) television personality?!

That is embarrassing and so pathetically lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

Grayson wrote: »
    I was actually surprised that people were getting angry at the content of the article because I had trouble reading it. It was like reading a txt msg facebook update. I couldn't follow it and had to stop reading halfway through. It actually hurt my head reading it. I'm amazed that people managed to read it and see some hidden message.

It's not surprising that a tacky paper would hire someone to write stupid puff pieces. It is surprising that they pay someone to write that badly.

Again, that Is the 'sex and the city' Carrie Bradshaw-esque inner mental monologue style of writing. You can picture Niamh there guffawing over each clumsy 'carry on' style pun while contemplating cosmos with her girlies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Ha ,you couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

ivytwine wrote: »
    I'm not blowing my own trumpet but I'd have been able to put out an article twenty times better than the one Horan did.
    Saying your article would have been only twenty times better is a self-deprecating statement, not blowing your own horn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saying your article would have been only twenty times better is a self-deprecating statement, not blowing your own horn.

In fairness, I've done wet farts that were better than Niamh Horans article.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement