Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Video wrote: »
    How accurate could this possibly be? is it set in stone that there is at least a decent risk of some snow?

Yes, lots of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

How accurate could this possibly be? is it set in stone that there is at least a decent risk of some snow?

No. I'm sorry to say it, but anyone forecasting snowy weather several months in advance is guessing.

You'd be far better off waiting until winter has actually arrived before you start taking any mention of snowy weather seriously (as in within a timeframe of about two weeks at most, preferably less than a week).

For the moment, this thread is purely about people's hopes for the coming winter. It is impossible to actually predict the weather this far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Noting in Weather forecasting is , .... the CFS is highly experimental and should be only used to look for trends , nothing specific....

unless your looking for wishful eye candy like the above chats...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

100% set in stone. I can absolutely guarantee you that it won't happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think I saw about 4 mornings frost last winter and barely a snowflake. this winter can only be better!

There was actually light frost on the ground this morning at 7am! :-O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Loughc wrote: »
    There was actually light frost on the ground this morning at 7am! :-O

In Dublin? There is no possible way. What you saw was not frost. It is not even close to being cold enough. As mild a morning as you'd like. Where did you see this frost?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

In Dublin? There is no possible way. What you saw was not frost. It is not even close to being cold enough. As mild a morning as you'd like. Where did you see this frost?

I saw it, in Dublin it was 7am, the frost was beginning to thaw out at that stage. Mild it is now, but it wasn't too mild this morning between 6am and 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

I saw it, in Dublin it was 7am, the frost was beginning to thaw out at that stage. Mild it is now, but it wasn't too mild this morning between 6am and 7am.

http://irelandsweather.com/

Go to the map data, extremes tab, minimum at the Phoenix Park this morning was 10C, Dublin Airport 9C, Casement 11C. No frost there!

omicron wrote: »
    http://irelandsweather.com/

Go to the map data, extremes tab, minimum at the Phoenix Park this morning was 10C, Dublin Airport 9C, Casement 11C. No frost there!

Fair enough but I know what I saw lads! I saw it on the ground and the car window.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What temperature was the car when you got in?

• Advertisement

I didn't get into the car at that time. But by 7am there was a light layer of frost thawing out. I wouldn't bother my arse making this up!?

We can agree to disagree on this and put the matter to bed, i never realised saying I saw frost at 7am in September would be like saying I saw Bigfoot haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Fair enough but I know what I saw lads! I saw it on the ground and the car window.

Was this before or after the aliens picked you up? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

i never realised saying I saw frost at 7am in September would be like saying I saw Bigfoot haha.

Now if ya had said ya saw bigfoot knocking about this morning, i would've believed you ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I had a snowball fight with a yeti this morning, but that must have been just after six
    double brandy's

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No ones doubting you Lough C. Must be a chore having to climb 3000 ft up to your driveway though ;)

I knew I'd get a frosty reception for posting that in here this morning, I'll have to take it all with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

As the saying goes....

PICS .. OR GTFO!!! :-P :-P :-P

Bye so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Probably just some dew formed on your car or the grass, it is sometimes quite easy to mistake the two. Unfortunately no chance it was frost.

Probably just some dew formed on your car or the grass, it is sometimes quite easy to mistake the two. Unfortunately no chance it was frost.

Yea most likely! It was early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

So early you were half asleep and didn't know the difference between dew and frost ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

10:30 AM MDT Sunday 07 September 2014
    Special weather statement in effect for:
    •City of Calgary

First snowfall of the season possible on Monday.

Summer will remain for one more day in Southern Alberta before an intense cold front moves through on Monday.

This cold front is currently producing rain over Northern Alberta. However, for many areas of Western Alberta an unseasonably cold Arctic airmass will cause rain to change to snow on Monday. Current guidance suggests over 5 centimetres of snow is possible for these regions.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended.

:D:D:D

http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?ab12#253cweg

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I have some friends living in Edmonton.

Snow tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

MidMan25 wrote: »
    I have some friends living in Edmonton.

Snow tomorrow!

Relatives in Edmonton. -30 in the Winter and +30 in the Summer. :D

Snowing away here in Calgary. Sticking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Kippure wrote: »
    Snowing away here in Calgary. Sticking too.

Yes, been watching the rain turn to snow over the past few hours. Currently 0c in the. Big drop from 25c yesterday afternoon!!!
    http://www.livestream.com/uofcfalcons

Proper snow falling now. Very heavy in Calgary:)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Wish it was like that here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I won't be satisfied this winter until we get something like this. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement