Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Who remembers this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Who remembers this :)

Its usually this though:

ims2013018.gif

ie. Most years we're the Northern most snow free place on the entire planet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

A guard on the traffic section of Crimecall warning about bad weather in the next 2 to 3 weeks. They know something we don't? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very ugly charts this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

madmaggie wrote: »
    A guard on the traffic section of Crimecall warning about bad weather in the next 2 to 3 weeks. They know something we don't? :confused:

I commented on this to last night Maggie. Irresponsible at worst but I suppose trying to use the worst scenarios possible to get a valid point accross about road safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

By 'ugly' you mean not good for snow lovers Weathercheck? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Usually Atlantic crap but before 2010 no-one would even have dreamed of proper cold and Snow in November so I wouldn't get too worried, Winter is still a few weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Elaborate please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,897 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Elaborate please :)
    Explain?
    leahyl wrote: »
    By 'ugly' you mean not good for snow lovers Weathercheck? :(
    FFS what does "ugly" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thargor wrote: »
    FFS what does "ugly" mean?

For the purposes of this thread it means not a hint of a cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Proper Lake Effect snow in Buffalo right now!

https://twitter.com/richpawlew3/status/534698619543502848

Buffalo, NY :-)

10480229_733065450110286_9195869201723949996_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Imagine you open your front door in the morning to this :eek: ( Taken from Reddit)

K8X9DJK.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

DominoDub wrote: »
    Imagine you open your front door in the morning to this :eek: ( Taken from Reddit)

K8X9DJK.jpg

Never understood why people in Canada kept their snow shovel inside until I experienced something much like that.

Would make me very very happy to see it here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

B2vEC1qCcAAJg4k.jpg:large

B2vKam1IEAALvSe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

48" of snow in 24 hours in southern suburbs of Buffalo, NY, another 30 inches predicted next 24 hours. Good times. About ten miles north of this squall band in Niagara Falls (ON and NY) there is almost no snow and then the sun is out a few miles west of there. Apparently there has been frequent thunder with this squall activity too. Amounts in central Ontario are also piling up with 50-80 cm being reported in places near Gravenhurst ON, and the Lake Michigan squalls have added up to about 18" near Grand Rapids, MI. Last week there were 35-40 inch falls reported in the upper peninsula of Michigan and that is now being topped up with about 10-15 inches of new snow.

East end of Lake Ontario snow machine just getting started and no doubt the I-81 highway near Watertown will be closed for several days as this outbreak looks set to last all week. However, models are showing 15 C on the 24th over some parts of this snow pack, can only imagine that there will be some nasty flooding and potential for roof collapse scenarios. That warmup is expected to last about three days then back to colder weather. The current temperatures in the Great Lakes region are threatening or even breaking records set in an epic early winter scenario of Nov 1880, and that should be of interest in Ireland and the U.K. given how the winter of 1880-81 turned out (very cold and snowy in January 1881).

That pic I posted was given to me by a friend of mine (from Geneva, NY), it's a pic of her friends husband outside their home in Buffalo :-)

Don't think Geneva is anywhere near as bad....yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

While I'd love to see something like that I think we should be glad things don't get that extreme in this country, the country grinds to a halt with a few cm of snow so I can't even imagine what would happen with that :pac:

Looking at tonights models, not a lot happening for the rest of this month, westerlies all the way with the PV moving over Greenland next week. Maybe a storm or two to spark some interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Oh to of been able to witness this side of the lake effect snow and then blast on into it!!!! :D

Harps wrote: »
    While I'd love to see something like that I think we should be glad things don't get that extreme in this country, the country grinds to a halt with a few cm of snow so I can't even imagine what would happen with that :pac:

Looking at tonights models, not a lot happening for the rest of this month, westerlies all the way with the PV moving over Greenland next week. Maybe a storm or two to spark some interest?

Hard to even comprehend how badly something like that would cripple this country in this day and age. Parts of Buffalo and Aurora are looking at snow totals over 170cm on the level with massive drifts.

We get a Red Warning here for +8cm. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

so was the usa getting the same weather issues like now in 2010?...who is saying there will be snow this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭airman737

It's warmer in Cork, at midnight, on the 19th of Nov than it is in Orlando and Dallas right now.

o29Z4aF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

The current temperatures in the Great Lakes region are threatening or even breaking records set in an epic early winter scenario of Nov 1880, and that should be of interest in Ireland and the U.K. given how the winter of 1880-81 turned out (very cold and snowy in January 1881).

You are not a real meteorologist, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

amdgilmore wrote: »
    You are not a real meteorologist, are you?

You are Michael Fish, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

From BFTP over on Netweather.

I'd be very happy with this to be honest!
    Winter 2014/5 - Cold to very cold, then average/mild, back to very cold

Winter 2013/4 was as we know mild and stormy, IMO directly linked to the strong Aleutian ridge formed due to the unique warm SST anomaly in the North Pacific during 2013. This I found two similar occasions and the winters that followed had cold early and cold late, so is my baseline for this winter,
    Also -
    QBO-Easterly - favourable for HLB
    Jetstream - meridional and shifted south generally due to solar phase
    Solar Cycle - it is very weak even though we've just been at peak - Long-term solar slumber
    Volcanic activity - I think we've had enough SO2 pumped into atmosphere for it to affect its state and assist in very negative AO and NAO readings.

Added since
    OPI and SAI - HLB favourable

December
    Negative NAO and Negative AO
    Very cold and at times of 2010 standard -
    We have seen the stubbornness of the block to our east. This IMO paints the picture of blocking being very influential throughout winter. Late Nov will IMO show the developments to what Dec will be like, what I'm looking for is NW/SE movement of deep LP/s over UK and ridge building behind in Atlantic ridging up towards Greenland blocking Jetstream south. For Dec I'm thinking blocking HP to our W/NW strengthens and at times oscillating/extending to Scandinavia with pressure lower to our E/SE/S being unable to move east due to the Siberian HP, thus a flow generally from our N to E quadrant taking hold more North than E initially. Snow clearly comes into play, as with very cold air coming over warm North Sea, bingo... but we know how 'localised' that can be so I'll leave it that it is IMO likely and could be widespread and substantial. Things have moved slowly this autumn so the cold could advance slower than I think however I'll stick with what I originally think. I'm thinking middle portion of month to be coldest and some very low minima could be experienced. There is a signal for Jan to be milder so I anticipate the Atlantic to make inroads Xmas to New Year period with new moon and perigee 22nd and 24th I'm comfortable with that timing. However, talking of the stubborn block to our east I think it will be a slow process with a classic breakdown scenario.
    CET - potentially coldest month relative to the norm - but doesn't mean the 'coldest' month.

January
    NAO neutral/positive, AO neutral/negative

I'm going against the grain here.
    This is a touch and go month, Siberian/Russian HP strong to our East, Atlantic wanting to barrel in and could start very unsettled. Reading what RJS has said I wouldn't be surprised if cold advanced onto us but same also for more Atlantic influence too, as I think a flow from SW to SE quadrant will be main feature and some to-ing and fro-ing of airmasses are anticipated and we could be in situation we've been experiencing. However, the continent will be cold so any SE'ly flow would be cold. New moon and perigee on 20th and 21st so I'll target this as a very active period/storm watch warning. What I am anticipating is that a main Strat warming will be the talk of Jan. Siberian/Russian High to exert influence more so last week of Jan.
    CET - not the story of the month, but average overall

February
    AO - Very negative, NAO - negative
    My coldest month - reading the strat thread and the OPI result I'm drawn to bring my late cold early as a serious strat warming event looks likely.
    The major strat warming effect to be in its full glory with vortex KO'd and in pieces and where they fall could be the key. Major blocking to our NW, N, NE to dominate. Not wanting to be too extreme but synoptically Dec 2010 comes to mind, but the longevity of the cold spell could be the talking point. Periods of events/snow 3-6 Feb lunar apogee and Full moon and new moon/perigee 18th and 19th.
    CET - coldest of the winter

So folks there we have it....not long to see if we have a goer or bust.

BFTP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hard to even comprehend how badly something like that would cripple this country in this day and age. Parts of Buffalo and Aurora are looking at snow totals over 170cm on the level with massive drifts.

We get a Red Warning here for +8cm. :o

We wouldn't cope but would have a very good try. I am remembering how some went out on skis in 2010 to get supplies to people. Those who say they would love these drifts would be totally overwhelmed at the reality too! We would probably fare better in rural areas in lesser falls as there are tractors around. I lived many years on a far north island where there were heavy falls of snow and shopping etc would arrive on a tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I use to play this online game and was chatting to a fellow gamer, he was from Buffalo, he talked of snow getting to 12ft deep in the winter from lake effect snow
    I told him of our very weak version of that from the Irish sea. :o :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement