Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats only really an issue for Wolverine/Magneto/Xavier as Jackman, Stewart and McKellen really as they immediately became iconic. I doubt anyone is too bothered about Jansen/Cumming/Park/Ashmore/Page/Marsden/Berry/Paquin returning.

Hell theres already been 2 versions of most of the original characters to varying success.

Thats why the Krakoa theory of mutants entering the MCU became so popular.

Just need to pick a trigger (Hope Summers is a popular one - she was the mutant messiah that triggered the 1st renaissance of mutants post decimation and could complete the 5 needed for ressurection so doubly handy to use her) to cause their reveal.

Saves a lot of awkwardness and repetition of already multiple seen origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,070 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I always felt x men should have been an alt universe, and they could have used multi verse story lines to bring them together for a big end game type crossover.

I just can't see how you can logically bring in wolverine or magneto or Xavier into the MCU. Not even an actor issue, just from the pov those characters need to be older, imo, so where have they been?

Thats where the Krakoa theory comes in. They were present in universe but not interfering in matters until the time suited them.

Anything else is a massive plot hole that utterly breaks the universe.

There has to have been a hidden group of senior mutants to kick things off right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think a small group of mutants who have kept themselves mostly below the radar among the people is very doable. They've made plenty of things work that were going on behind the scenes, that none of the current MCU characters were aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,877 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Given the existential threats that Earth has faced over the past while in-universe, it begins to feel really weird if yet another gang of ultra-powerful heroes were just hanging out ignoring it, with The Eternals doing the same. It felt a big stretch to use that story beat once - using it twice feels like way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Blah blah blah, Cerebro, blah blah blah, Prof X incapacitated, blah blah blah, blocking all people's awareness of mutant powers...

Or there's one mega universe crossover event towards the end of this phase that merges the Marvel world we know with a world where mutants have existed already.

It's messy as f*ck either way, but they'll be able to fluff it a bit if the other elements are right.

Not overly excited by it anyway, but still interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah this phase is literally the Multiverse Saga, and we're seeing how Prof.X has already been included, and Deadpool will have Wolverine and probably other X-Men. We're also seeing how in Doctor Strange, his actions have helped cause Incursions, which is where two different realities clash with each other. So chances are by the end of this Phase they'll all be rolled into one and the MCU can just decide who/what to keep and re-cast anyone else they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Slowly watching Loki and I'm really not gonna miss Kang, the overacting is bordering on annoying.

He can be hit and miss. Some of his Variants like Victor Timely, yeah his performance isn't great and he goes overboard in trying to make each variant feel/sound different and unique. Some Variants like the exile in Quantumania and even most of his performance as He Who Remains, I thought was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep, I loved him in Creed 3 but he sounds like a terrible person so not gonna miss him in scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Marvels, a nice piece of harmless fun although I'm surprised that the 10 Rings story didn't come into it more, considering some of the hints in Shang Chi post credits and Ms Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I think alot of these teases have been forgotten about by Marvel. The large gaps between films and tv shows doesn't help either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm REALLY struggling with Loki season 2. It took me about 3 sittings to get through I think episode 4 maybe? The one with Victor Timely (really??!!) and miss whatshername, the AI.

And, as has been mentioned by so many, the fact that you almost HAVE to watch each and every even tangentially-related series or show to get the "most" out of each movie is draining. It's the same with the Star Wars stuff.

For ne, I enjoyed Hawkeye for the lighthearted nature in general of it and the excellent comic timing for Steinfeld.

I enjoyed Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Seems so long ago).

Wandavision? Meh. But you had to watch it to know what was going on with Dr. Strange 2.

In Star Wars, Asohka, you needed to have watched all the CG Clone Wars series to get who ANY of them were.

Andor barely touched on Star Wars (You might know he's in "Rogue One" later, you might not) and it's FANTASTIC

So I think the financial disappointment of Marvels is not down to people not willing to watch a female-led superhero movie but REALLY the final proof of superhero fatigue. And lack of focus and weak antagonists. I mean compare how heavily they are pushing Kang. Compared to Thanos. And does anybody else think that basically "Multiverse" is just an easy way of undoing whatever they want or bringing in whoever they want?

Tony Stark is dead. Ah, but here's Tony Stark from universe ZZ9-Plural Z-Alpha (Assuming they offer DJ a metric tonne of money or they recast for the hottest young thing).

Now here's the X-men!!!!!

We all want to see the X-men again but in the MCU but will we be knackered by the time they come?

I would definitely say the first three episodes of S2 of Loki are rough enough, episode 4 is okay, but episodes 5 and 6 are terrific and make the whole thing worth it. It's really well worth sticking with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

who will be knackered?

a leopard doesn't change etc etc...

I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Watched the marvels yesterday...decent movie but the main villain was poor...never felt like she was a big bad or would defeat the heroes...it all just felt a bit rushed

The main problem with the MCU now is the multiverse saga has failed...people aren't interested in most of these new characters...they want the iron man's and the Captain America's. We haven't seen nor heard Sam as captain mentioned in over 2 years

What I enjoyed about the end credit scenes was you could see the direction they were going in and it hyped the next movie...instead now we get characters that some don't know or scenes that hint at nothing

MCU has to nail the X-Men and cast them properly as otherwise all signs point to iron man being brought back whether it be RDJ or someone younger to fill the void

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Given the cast of characters and nature of the storylines, I would love to see X-Men tackled as a sprawling TV series a la Game of Thrones, rather than a movie. Bin off the CGI set pieces and let the characters and story come to the fore.

It is a bit telling that the bit that everyone remembers the most from Dr Strange two was

Reed Richards, Prof X, Peggy Carter as Captain America, Pike as Black Bolt etc and them instantly getting killed off. But it's OK, she HAD lost her imaginary kids, right? :)

• Advertisement

Reddit Rumour.

Kevin Feige set to resign as head of Marvel with Victoria Alonso tipped to replace him in the interim.

Victoria Alonso was fired from Marvel in March, and there was a pretty big sigh of relief following it, especially from the VFX departments. I can't see there being any truth to this. Maybe Feige will leave, but I doubt it'd be Alonso who comes back to replace him.

It'd be a huge step for Feige to resign though. As bad as the performance and quality of MCU projects have been of late, they also haven't bombed horrifically enough to warrant stepping down. If anything, that would cause far more chaos behind the scenes, and less faith by fans that they could right the ship.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the rumours myself but in terms of the right time to shake up the top, very sparse calendar for 2024 because of the strikes gives the studio plenty of time to transition ready to relaunch in 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

How do ye folks know so much?

Do ye work in the industry?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Cos internet? Rumours, reports etc. it's not hard to track 'cos like most corporations they're leaky sieves. The strikes required studios to publicly move productions and schedules therein.

I don't claim to know anything, I just picked up an interesting rumour, which reddit mods have deleted so it might come to nothing, and opened it to speculation. I thought the timing made some sense given the (unfair IMO) drubbing The Marvels is getting and saw where the logic was going. Kevin had a good run of it up to Endgame and probably should have went out then. Next best time to go is probably now while things are slowed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The audience breakdown for The Marvels was 65% male and 35% female, going by past films if you want a bigger female audience you put a shirtless Jason Momoa and Chris Evans in a movie ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Yikes that sounds expensive, it was already meant to be a $350 cost & Marketing , 5 months is essentially a full reshoot

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So you're saying if the main actresses did the same, the film would've done better? 😃

I'm sure plenty of people would've complained.

Advertisement