Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to reverse some Public Secor Pay cuts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Rightwing wrote: »
    You are making the classic mistake and looking at it from the wrong angle. Economies are bust because of big Government, they are piling up debt and thinking they are rich.

Thanks but that's not what I asked. You have an ideal of how a state should be run. Has your ideal ever been put into practice in any state anywhere in the world successfully? A yes or no answer will suffice. If it's just a theory that you hold to then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Thanks but that's not what I asked. You have an ideal of how a state should be run. Has your ideal ever been put into practice in any state anywhere in the world successfully? A yes or no answer will suffice. If it's just a theory that you hold to then fair enough.

All States through out history started off with small Government.

But it's very popular and a great vote getter to create quangos and provide many services. The downside is, debt is accumulated. There is only so much debt an individual/corporation/economy can sustain. Then what? Ask Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

not yet wrote: »
    Can I once and for all put the idea that PS workers earn average 50k and Private sector 35k..to bed
    The wage bill in the PS includes every single woker: from Enda Kenny, all his advisers, consultants, Judges etc etc etc, this does not give a true reflection of the average worker, whilst the private sector does not include, C.E.O's, Bank Managers, Chairmen.

As I'm sure you'll agree this does not give a fair comparison of ''average'' wages in bother sectors.

That's not right. The average is what the average is.

The point is that the two averages are in no way comparable, because the 2 groups are (as you've pointed out) composed of completely different classes of worker.

For example the average person in Ireland has 1 testicle and 1 breast, but what does that actually tell us that's of any use? Nothing. Now compare that to another equally meaningless figure, and what have you got? More of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

All States through out history started off with small Government.

But it's very popular and a great vote getter to create quangos and provide many services. The downside is, debt is accumulated. There is only so much debt an individual/corporation/economy can sustain. Then what? Ask Greece.

So it's a no then and you hold to a theory. Fair enough. To continue on in this, what level of state public service/government would you like to see for Ireland? And how would you fund it? 10% flat tax on everything? Make income tax voluntary?

So it's a no then and you hold to a theory. Fair enough. To continue on in this, what level of state public service/government would you like to see for Ireland? And how would you fund it? 10% flat tax on everything? Make income tax voluntary?

Well your initial question did state in the past. It worked well in the past until they decided Government should be bigger, now they all have massive debt.
    It's a flaw with democracy. A bit of a tangent I know.

Let's just take the Dept of Transport as an example. Is there really need for all of these quangos?

Department of TransportyH5BAEAAAEALAAAAAABAAEAQAICTAEAOw%3D%3DE

15.1 Córas Iompair Éireann
    15.2 Railway Safety Commission
    15.3 Railway Safety Advisory Council
    15.4 Railway Procurement Agency
    15.5 Commission for Taxi Regulation
    15.6 Advisory Council to the Commission for Taxi Regulation
    15.7 Dublin Transport Office
    15.8 Integrated Ticketing Project Board
    15.9 National Roads Authority
    15.10 The Marine Casualty Investigation Board
    15.11 Aer Lingus
    15.12 Commission for Aviation Regulation
    15.13 Irish Aviation Authority
    15.14 Dublin Airport Authority
    15.15 Shannon Airport Authority
    15.16 Cork Airport Authority
    15.17 Dublin Port
    15.18 Cork Port
    15.19 Waterford Port
    15.20 Dun Laoghaire Port
    15.21 New Ross Port
    15.22 Shannon Foynes Port
    15.23 Dundalk Port
    15.24 Drogheda Port
    15.25 Galway Port
    15.26 Wicklow Port
    15.27 Arklow Harbour Commissioners
    15.28 Bantry Bay Harbour Commissioners
    15.29 Baltimore and Skibbereen Harbour Commissioners
    15.30 Kilrush Urban District Council
    15.31 Kinsale Harbour Commissioners
    15.32 River Moy Commissioners
    15.33 Tralee and Fenit Harbour Commissioners
    15.34 Westport Harbour Commissioners
    15.35 Wexford Harbour Commissioners
    15.36 Youghal Urban District Council
    15.37 Medical Bureau of Road Safety
    15.38 Public Transport Partnership Forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The point is that the two averages are in no way comparable, because the 2 groups are (as you've pointed out) composed of completely different classes of worker.

For example the average person in Ireland has 1 testicle and 1 breast, but what does that actually tell us that's of any use? Nothing. Now compare that to another equally meaningless figure, and what have you got? More of the same.

You know that the word average covers a multitude of different calculations right? It's even on the JC maths syllabus now. They learn three, the mean, median and mode. All are averages. They also learn their flaws. The mode does not always exist, the median is useful when there are outliers and the mean is heavily affected by really small/really large pieces of data which are different

You know that the word average covers a multitude of different calculations right? It's even on the JC maths syllabus now. They learn three, the mean, median and mode. All are averages. They also learn their flaws. The mode does not always exist, the median is useful when there are outliers and the mean is heavily affected by really small/really large pieces of data which are different

There's no ambiguity here about which meaning of average is being discussed, it's the most commonly used one, but thanks for that Professor P. Edant ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

There's no ambiguity here about which meaning of average is being discussed, it's the most commonly used one, but thanks for that Professor P. Edant ;)

You're the one who said the average is what the average is!

You're the one who said the average is what the average is!

Context, context, context... ;)

Read what I was responding to, and stop being a smartarse.

In any event, as long as you're using a consistent interpretation of the word average (whether mean, median or mode) my point remains valid. So what's yours again?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,278 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Godge wrote: »
    The new pay scales issue has already been addressed with the new combined payscales. They are not worse than the new entrant scales, they mean that new entrants will end up the same as old entrants, effectively there are just a couple of lower points on entry meaning a slightly longer time to reach the max.

The pension changes were inevitable. I am surprised that the government didn't move to make all future service subject to the new scheme. Would have kept pension costs down even more.

You are wrong about the new combined scales.

They mean an AO who starts in 2014 will be earning considerably less than an AO who started in 2012.

A 2012 AO gets 35k for their third point.

A 2014 AO gets 33k for their third point. And this discrepancy remains until the tenth year of service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭James esq

There are over 250K public servants - like the oaps most of them vote - all pay cuts will be reversed within 16 months. With a possibility of a 6% increase for the increase in working hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Actually, slightly more than one breast and slightly less than one testicle.

noodler wrote: »
    You are wrong about the new combined scales.

They mean an AO who starts in 2014 will be earning considerably less than an AO who started in 2012.

A 2012 AO gets 35k for their third point.

A 2014 AO gets 33k for their third point. And this discrepancy remains until the tenth year of service.

But it disappears thereafter.

Lower entry scales for new entrants is not a new idea, it has happened before.

Actually, slightly more than one breast and slightly less than one testicle.

Feck, meant to say approximately! :p

James esq wrote: »
    There are over 250K public servants - like the oaps most of them vote - all pay cuts will be reversed within 16 months. With a possibility of a 6% increase for the increase in working hours.

When I heard the welfare bonus was restored, I gave up all hope. A bonus, for what exactly? :confused:

James esq wrote: »

There isn't the money to do that.

There will be some restoration and a promise that it will all be given back under the next government led by FG and Labour.

You will have to balance that with a promise from SF to restore it all the day after they get into office with money from the fairy money tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

You will have to balance that with a promise from SF to restore it all the day after they get into office with money from the fairy money tree.

Surely SF will promise money for the "workers" while the rich will have their salaries reduced to 100,000. I wouldn't fancy my chances having an operation in a public hospital subsequently.

Surely SF will promise money for the "workers" while the rich will have their salaries reduced to 100,000. I wouldn't fancy my chances having an operation in a public hospital subsequently.

I'd hope that €100K figure would be for the likes of lord mayors, and those in quangos (i.e no need for them in the first place)

What??

What has precedence got to do with it?

There are currently three pay scales in the civil service.

Old entrants, new entrants and combined scales.

Disappears thereafter implies the AO is going to be happy earning less than old entrants or 'new entrants" for ten years until he reaches the max I mum point on the scale.

I can safely say that is not something that would happen.

Your ability to argue for PS pay rises whilst at the same time telling new entrants "sh1t happens" is difficult to reconcile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

What??

What has precedence got to do with it?

There are currently three pay scales in the civil service.

Old entrants, new entrants and combined scales.

Disappears thereafter implies the AO is going to be happy earning less than old entrants or 'new entrants" for ten years until he reaches the max I mum point on the scale.

I can safely say that is not something that would happen.

Your ability to argue for PS pay rises whilst at the same time telling new entrants "sh1t happens" is difficult to reconcile.

I don't think these new entrant scales should persist indefinitely. However, there is a case that market conditions are different at different points on the experience curve. There can exist jobs in which there is a plentiful supply of graduates, but a shortage of experienced people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭James esq

There isn't the money to do that.

There is always the money for a block vote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Well your initial question did state in the past. It worked well in the past until they decided Government should be bigger, now they all have massive debt.
    It's a flaw with democracy. A bit of a tangent I know.

Let's just take the Dept of Transport as an example. Is there really need for all of these quangos?

Department of TransportyH5BAEAAAEALAAAAAABAAEAQAICTAEAOw%3D%3DE

15.1 Córas Iompair Éireann
    15.2 Railway Safety Commission
    15.3 Railway Safety Advisory Council
    15.4 Railway Procurement Agency
    15.5 Commission for Taxi Regulation
    15.6 Advisory Council to the Commission for Taxi Regulation
    15.7 Dublin Transport Office
    15.8 Integrated Ticketing Project Board
    15.9 National Roads Authority
    15.10 The Marine Casualty Investigation Board
    15.11 Aer Lingus
    15.12 Commission for Aviation Regulation
    15.13 Irish Aviation Authority
    15.14 Dublin Airport Authority
    15.15 Shannon Airport Authority
    15.16 Cork Airport Authority
    15.17 Dublin Port
    15.18 Cork Port
    15.19 Waterford Port
    15.20 Dun Laoghaire Port
    15.21 New Ross Port
    15.22 Shannon Foynes Port
    15.23 Dundalk Port
    15.24 Drogheda Port
    15.25 Galway Port
    15.26 Wicklow Port
    15.27 Arklow Harbour Commissioners
    15.28 Bantry Bay Harbour Commissioners
    15.29 Baltimore and Skibbereen Harbour Commissioners
    15.30 Kilrush Urban District Council
    15.31 Kinsale Harbour Commissioners
    15.32 River Moy Commissioners
    15.33 Tralee and Fenit Harbour Commissioners
    15.34 Westport Harbour Commissioners
    15.35 Wexford Harbour Commissioners
    15.36 Youghal Urban District Council
    15.37 Medical Bureau of Road Safety
    15.38 Public Transport Partnership Forum

Its so easy to use the headline term " Quango" and then randomly list reams of so called "quangos" without having a clue what you are talking about. Whilst there is no doubt there are semi states that we could most definately do without or amalgamate there are also plenty that cost the state nothing, are self sufficent, efficently run and essential to the country.

Take for example the list you yourself have thrown up to try and "prove" a point. The Irish Aviation Authority ( which you have selected as one of your quangos) receives no government funding. A cursory examination of how it operates shows that it not only provides a vital service in overseeing the aviation industry in Ireland but does so at a profit (much of it from international sources) and has diversified into many areas.

I'm sure if I bothered (unlike you) to go through every organistaion on your list i can find plenty more of the same.

The lack of structure, informed thought or evidence in your posts is staggering if not downright embarrassing. Basing something on your random thoughts is not exactly debate

I don't think these new entrant scales should persist indefinitely. However, there is a case that market conditions are different at different points on the experience curve. There can exist jobs in which there is a plentiful supply of graduates, but a shortage of experienced people.

I love that Godge thanked your post.

Someone who is perfectly willing to ignore the application of the supply and demand argument in Ireland's labour force to the Public Sector when it suits him i.e. the fact he is so obviously against PS pay cuts despite swells of unemployment (i.e. at HRA time). Yet, its okay to do so for new entrants apprently. I am delighted to at least see Godge implictily admit that he doesn't have an idealogical position at all - he just wants his own pension protected.

Regarding your post itself. Why should new entrants suffer vis-a-vis existing PS members? Many of which are less skilled than their modern cohort? Isn't that supposed to be the type of thing unions fight against?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I do agree there are and were quangos that should not exist (examples include those doing purely advocacy work) but a great deal of quangos do critical work. Merging does not necessarily reduce costs in any appreciable way. In fact it could raise costs. There were plans for the National Library and National Museum to share services but it has been found to not improve their effectiveness or costs. The board members are unpaid. If the museums are subsumed into the department they can no longer fund raise and attract philanthropists. Or we can look at the ports. Would merging all these port authorities actually save money? If it does by all means merge but rarely do we see figures.

robp wrote: »
    I do agree there are and were quangos that should not exist (examples include those doing purely advocacy work) but a great deal of quangos do critical work. Merging does not necessarily reduce costs in any appreciable way. In fact it could raise costs. There were plans for the National Library and National Museum to share services but it has been found to not improve their effectiveness or costs. The board members are unpaid. If the museums are subsumed into the department they can no longer fund raise and attract philanthropists. Or we can look at the ports. Would merging all these port authorities actually save money? If it does by all means merge but rarely do we see figures.

Maybe there should be a thread on quangos. In discussion on water thread too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Maybe there should be a thread on quangos. In discussion on water thread too.

You start it then...show your in-depth knowledge of Quangos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why should new entrants suffer vis-a-vis existing PS members? Many of which are less skilled than their modern cohort?

Would retention of pay rates for existing experienced employees and some lowering of rates for new recruits not have characterised the private sector response to the recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭creedp

ardmacha wrote: »
    Would retention of pay rates for existing experienced employees and some lowering of rates for new recruits not have characterised the private sector response to the recession?

Without a doubt and maybe also throw into the mix some staff made redundant to protect the remainder's terms and conditions and jobs .. however its not for the PS to comment on how the private sector does its business as the PS don't pay the private sector wages or apparently provide any added value to society.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »

Mass redundancy would have characterised the private sector response to the recession.

Advertisement