Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to reverse some Public Secor Pay cuts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

noodler wrote: »
    Ugh. Just stop.

This is the sort of self-righteous crap you have to put up with from insiders on this thread.

Pointed generalisations, pathetic assumptions regarding your opinions, some sort of generic, putrid snide remark about my level of education and expertise etc.

You haven't said anything of any substance and yet you want to pretend you are 'debating'.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

ezra_pound wrote: »
    OK what sectors of the economy would you expect to see a higher average level of pay and expertise than education and health?

The legal sector. Yes similar
    Pharma. No I'd be surprised if average expertise levels were as high
    It/ tech. No
    Agriculture. No

Etc. Etc.

Education isn't just primary school teachers. It's research labs in universities, lecturers etc etc.
    Level of expertise massive.

But surely the average there is predominated by primary and secondary teachers? What proportion of the education workforce fall into each category?

Seems to me a case in point of the danger of averages, since even within the education sector you are averaging too many different categories of worker, from special needs assistants with level 7 qual's to professors with multiple PhD's.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Teaching isn't exactly what I'd call rocket science. What have you to do?.. study the challenging Arts in college..1 of the degrees known to mankind. Salary should command max. average industrial salary.

What qualifications do you have right wing?

But surely the average there is predominated by primary and secondary teachers? What proportion of the education workforce fall into each category?

Seems to me a case in point of the danger of averages, since even within the education sector you are averaging too many different categories of worker, from special needs assistants with level 7 qual's to professors with multiple PhD's.

Yes I'm dealing with averages.

BECAUSE I'M DEFENDING AVERAGE PS PAY V AVERAGE PRIVATE SECTOR PAY.

IT'S ABOUT AVERAGES.

OK

Yes I'm dealing with averages.

BECAUSE I'M DEFENDING AVERAGE PS PAY V AVERAGE PRIVATE SECTOR PAY.

IT'S ABOUT AVERAGES.

OK

Why bother, the two are totally incomparable, on all but the most micro level.

You're getting yourself wound up over a logically null argument.

• Advertisement

I'm discussing right wing's comment that AVERAGE public sector pay is over 40% higher than private sector pay.

My point is that public sector AVERAGE is distorted by its dominance by two sectors with high AVERAGE pay levels due to their high AVERAGE levels of expertise.

The private sector has many sectors with low AVERAGE levels of expertise and pay which likewise reduce the private sector AVERAGE.

if you don't find averages useful then bring the issue up with right wing.

I didn't bring up averages OK.

Right wing brought up averages OK

Of course the two are incomparable that's my point.

It's not a null argument thought.
    It's simple maths.

I didn't bring up averages OK.

Right wing brought up averages OK

Yeah, I understand that, but you're indulging him!

Yeah, I understand that, but you're indulging him!

No I'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

You've very little interest in logical debate either to be fair.

Any joy on finding me the PS job categories that are 48% overpaid relative to their private sector equivalent, or do you accept that there is absolutely no value at all, from a "logical debate" point of view in the headline stat you quoted earlier?

Those figures I posted only show 1 thing, the PS are not underpaid.

No it doesn't.

How do the figures show that?

The two are totally incomparable - the only thing it shows is that the average pay of one group is 48% (or whatever the figure is) higher than the average of the other - any further comparison isn't possible. And I know that you're not stupid enough to actually believe otherwise.

No it doesn't.

The average PS is almost €1K a week, name another country with a figure that high.
    Over to you boys. ;)

The average PS is almost €1K a week, name another country with a figure that high.
    Over to you boys. ;)

Norway and Switzerland for a start

Pointless exercise!

Over to you boys. ;)

What other country's PS is directly comparable to Ireland's?

Norway and Switzerland for a start

Pointless exercise!
    Interesting, now I wonder what the average private sector wage in those countries are. That should reveal all we need to know.

Over to you boys. ;)

Denmark Finland and Sweden
    Norway and Switzerland

Interesting, now I wonder what the average private sector wage in those countries are. That should reveal all we need to know.

No it won't!

:D God loves a tryer - the king of comparing the incomparable! :pac:

• Advertisement

No it won't!

Essentially what we'd find is that the PS in Ireland is doing very well relative to the private sector. This inevitably leads to bankruptcy. Greece would be another classic example. The pay differential should not be that wide. If the PS is underpaid, the private sector is grossly underpaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Semi States (no pay cuts and an actual increase) Rest of PS (2 pay cuts) What does that do to the average figure?

How do you bring down the average more... by cutting the rest of the PS for a third time...

Essentially what we'd find is that the PS in Ireland is doing very well relative to the private sector. This inevitably leads to bankruptcy. Greece would be another classic example. The pay differential should not be that wide. If the PS is underpaid, the private sector is grossly underpaid.

No. It is not what we would find.

Eustat data shows that the Irish public sector private sector pay gap is standard in Europe.

Go find data to the contrary.

woodoo wrote: »
    Semi States (no pay cuts and an actual increase) Rest of PS (2 pay cuts) What does that do to the average figure?

How do you bring down the average more... by cutting the rest of the PS for a third time...

I'd be a big advocate of privatisation for all of them There would be an immediate return to the exchequer, and the wages would quickly come down.

Go find your examples with a relatively smaller difference in pay between public sector and private.

No. It is not what we would find.

Eustat data shows that the Irish public sector private sector pay gap is standard in Europe.

Go find data to the contrary.

Europe is effectively bankrupt. The bigger the difference in these sectors, the worse shape that economy will be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Europe is effectively bankrupt.

You're entitled to your own opinion.

You're not entitled to make up your own facts.

Did the pub close early tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I'd be a big advocate of privatisation for all of them There would be an immediate return to the exchequer, and the wages would quickly come down.

Why then are the HSE employing agency staff at a huge greater cost from the private sector?

Europe is effectively bankrupt. The bigger the difference in these sectors, the worse shape that economy will be in.

Really. Romania's public sector was paid 10% more than the private sector in 2010 per hour. We were around 40%.

How much better shape was there economy in than ours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,225 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

They need a rise alright :rolleyes:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/public-sector-pay-is-48-more-than-private-283560.html
    Public sector workers earn on average 48% more than those employed in the private sector, according to figures from the Central Statistics Office.
    Public servants are paid an average of €919 per week, compared to €622 in the private sector.

Some points on the public-private wage premium:

(1) The ESRI have studied the public-private wage premium.

Using 2003-2006 data, the premium was found to be between 14-26%.

See here:

http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/20091102110232/WP321.pdf

(2) The CSO also did work on this topic, published 2012, using 2009 and 2010 data, see here:

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/2010/nes_0910supp.pdf

This found a wage gap of 10-19% in 2010, with various statistical techniques applied.

Note that for permanent, full-time workers aged between 25-59, the PS premium, after adjusted for the size of the organisation, is 6.1-7.3%

NB: the CSO data does not included the effects of the PRD - Pension Related Deduction, which was substantial.

Note that the 7% pay premium found by the CSO in 2010, would have been eliminated by the PRD.

The PRD marginal rates are 0%, 5%, 10%, 10.5%, see below.

The effective rate of PRD on 40k gross is 5.625%, see below.

So with the 2009 PRD and the 2010 pay-cut, the PS pay premium has been reduced to practically zero.

PRD details

First € 15,000 of earnings: exempt
    Earnings between € 15,000 and € 20,000: 5%
    Earnings between € 20,000 and € 60,000: 10%
    Earnings above € 60,000: 10.5%
    Based on these currently applicable PRD rates, the amounts of PRD arising at a series of annual pay points up to and including €60,000 are as follows:
    Pay of €15,000: No PRD
    Pay of €20,000: PRD of €250
    Pay of €25,000: PRD of €750
    Pay of €30,000: PRD of €1,250
    Pay of €35,000: PRD of €1,750
    Pay of €40,000: PRD of €2,250
    Pay of €45,000: PRD of €2,750
    Pay of €50,000: PRD of €3,250
    Pay of €55,000: PRD of €3,750
    Pay of €60,000: PRD of €4,250

Advertisement