Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS are pure evil.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Karl Stein wrote: »
    When the US invaded Iraq the security of the country became their problem.

Let's also not forget our History books either. Not that long ago we in the West thought nothing of popping across to Africa and filling a ship with people to do our work for us, for free - the ones who objected got slaughtered. And a lot of slavers were Irish.. Civility is a thin veneer stretched over an awful lot of badness. To say "Islam/ISIS" is the great bogey-man and we're all good-lads is laughable, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Let's also not forget our History books either. Not that long ago we in the West thought nothing of popping across to Africa and filling a ship with people to do our work for us, for free - the ones who objected got slaughtered. And a lot of slavers were Irish.. Civility is a thin veneer stretched over an awful lot of badness. To say "Islam/ISIS" is the great bogey-man and we're all good-lads is laughable, IMO.

You attach the word "we" as if to insinuate that people today are responsible for past atrocities like the above. You can't condemn the mistakes of past generations and use it as ammunition on the current.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Worth posting this again.

As late as this year - early 2014 - the US neo cons were arguing for intervention in Syria against both Assad and "Hezbollah" and in favour of the other groups in Syria, particularly Sunni groups.

John McCain visited rebels in Syria.

http://m.bbc.com/news/...d-us-canada-22683261

ISIS is a US creation.

It was bound to happen. Someone was bound to declare this eventually on here.

EazyD wrote: »
    You attach the word "we" as if to insinuate that people today are responsible for past atrocities like the above. You can't condemn the mistakes of past generations and use it as ammunition on the current.

Yes I can. I just did as it happens. See, the thing is, "WE" in the west machine-gunned our way into the middle east and re-drew all the borders, to suit us. Now, those long forgotten old chickens are coming back to roost. You can only keep your foot on someones neck for so long before they try and bite your leg. To start whinging when your violence begets violence from others is a bit warped, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Meh. The 150,000 retreating Iraqi troops incinerated by Western bombers might disagree, as would the incalculable number of Iraqi, Pakistani, Afghan and other civilians killed in the past decade by the West. ISIS might be slaughtering people, but we showed them a pretty good example of how it's done. To now engage in hand-wringing and roaring about "savages" tends to forget that we're fairly savage too. Much more savage IMO. We just use nice tidy bombs and artillery, not knives. The end result is the same though, only the methods vary. So be careful who you brand a savage..

So you are anti west even when it comes to this genocide. Isis are a product of the civil war in Syria. And as far as I'm aware Ireland had no part in that.

Would you be pro Isis if they were knocking on your door? Or would you be looking for the west for help ?

The latter I think

• Advertisement

Nothing. Same way as I propose doing nothing about my next door neighbours broken car. If it was my car, it would be my problem. If these ISIS chaps were rampaging through Dublin, again, my problem, but Iraq? Dafuq that got to do with us? Or US? Who died and made them them world police? Countries have internal strife, there you go. Is it nice? No. Is it good? No. Is it anyone elses business? No. Let Iraq sort out itself. If it had been allowed do that from the get-go, there wouldn't be these problems now. MYOB, till it becomes your business.

Well in fairness to you, you are stating your position clearly and without apology. I respect you for that.
    I hope Amercian and the UK or whoever do get involved to kill these guys. Laissez faire has never worked as a policy - it tends to allow situations to get worse and makes intervention later much more costly.
    I would also like to see other Islamic countries get their Fingers out and defend innocent people but they don't seem to give a **** about them (or about the Palestinians for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Yes I can. I just did as it happens. See, the thing is, "WE" in the west machine-gunned our way into the middle east and re-drew all the borders, to suit us. Now, those long forgotten old chickens are coming back to roost. You can only keep your foot on someones neck for so long before they try and bite your leg. To start whinging when your violence begets violence from others is a bit warped, IMO.

Funny how it's acceptable to generalise everybody in the West as warmongers but when you make generalisations about everybody in the Arab world, you're called a racist.

Let's stop beating ourselves up here. All this 'we're just as bad' nonsense allows these murderers off the hook.
    We are not as bad. They are evil.

CptMackey wrote: »
    So you are anti west even when it comes to this genocide. Isis are a product of the civil war in Syria. And as far as I'm aware Ireland had no part in that.

Would you be pro Isis if they were knocking on your door? Or would you be looking for the west for help ?

The latter I think

If they're knocking at my door, then it's all gone to hell in a handbasket at that stage. I doubt what "religion" I am will make much difference. IMO, ISIS are a product of western actions. More violence is the answer so, is that your answer? Nuke em!?? Yeah right.

LorMal wrote: »
    Well in fairness to you, you are stating your position clearly and without apology. I respect you for that.
    I hope Amercian and the UK or whoever do get involved to kill these guys. Laissez faire has never worked as a policy - it tends to allow situations to get worse and makes intervention later much more costly.
    I would also like to see other Islamic countries get their Fingers out and defend innocent people but they don't seem to give a **** about them (or about the Palestinians for that matter)

.. I highly doubt Islamic countries will be down on ISIS, bit too close to home, they might be swallowed by them yet..

• Advertisement

If they're knocking at my door, then it's all gone to hell in a handbasket at that stage. I doubt what "religion" I am will make much difference. IMO, ISIS are a product of western actions. More violence is the answer so, is that your answer? Nuke em!?? Yeah right.

Don't think you are in a position to pour scorn here Tail Docker. You have no answer. You don't care. It's not on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭LeBash

It is definitely on its way but youll never see us acting like those animals. We lead completely different lifestyles and ideals. The average "westerner" is not capable of decapitating a child so I wouldn't go scare mongering just yet.

The average human couldnt do it. There is no east v west here. Only 50 years ago KKK were lynching black children.

Focus need to go on the group doing it and not on Muslims or Arabs etc as a whole, you potatoe eattin.......

Rhetoric nonsense. A small number of leaders in the West may be culpable for what is going on right now, but to suggest "we" all have a hand in it is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

So your solution is for the world to sit on their hands and do nothing.

As for the nuke em , in said that if no innocent people would be killed then Ya do it but obviously they would so it's not an option.

You seem to be anti west and it's all "our" fault but yet Isis are not a western creation but a product of the civil war in Syria and the continued ambivalence of Islamic states to extremism because behind it all they agree with Isis. If it were a group of radical Jews taking over Iraq and carrying out these attacks would you be as indifferent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Its ironic really that at present there are loads of solemn ceremonies taking place around europe to commerorate WW1,saying 'we will never forget' or 'it should never happen again'. Truth is that it goes on and on albeit on a smaller scale.And despite all the solemn ceremonies and all the mournful expressions of sorrow,the wealthy powerful countries still endorse the multi billion € arms industry.But I guess as long as the atrocities are confined to Africa and the middle east its OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ISIS might be slaughtering people, but we showed them a pretty good example of how it's done. To now engage in hand-wringing and roaring about "savages" tends to forget that we're fairly savage too. Much more savage IMO. We just use nice tidy bombs and artillery, not knives. The end result is the same though, only the methods vary. So be careful who you brand a savage..

But so f'ing what??

Have you seen the big round towers our ancestors built to try and defend against the vikings?

Have you read about the savage brutality of the middle ages?

yes. The west has been savage. The romans were watching Christians fighting to the death against animals in the coliseum.

Slaughter and death all around.

??

So you think that means we should sit back and let Isis behead kids because its their turn at brutality? let them have their own 12th century and dont interfere?

I really dont get your point.

And despite all the solemn ceremonies and all the mournful expressions of sorrow,the wealthy powerful countries still endorse the multi billion € arms industry.But I guess as long as the atrocities are confined to Africa and the middle east its OK.

:confused:

Humans are brutal.

The wealthy powerful countries are wealthy and powerful because they are armed.

Life aint fair. So what do we do about it?

But I guess as long as the atrocities are confined to Africa and the middle east its OK.

Of course its not okay.

But are you suggesting we should intervene even more in africa and the middle east?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Funny how it's acceptable to generalise everybody in the West as warmongers but when you make generalisations about everybody in the Arab world, you're called a racist.
    Section 187 (often referenced in slang simply as 187) of the California Penal Code defines the crime of murder. The number is commonly pronounced by reading the digits separately as "one-eight-seven," or "one-eighty-seven," rather than "one hundred eighty-seven."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/187_(slang)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Didn't a man in Saudi die yesterday from ebola on the side of the road?
    No he died in a hospital, he was sick when he returned from Sierra Leone. So far, he is the only case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just saw some of the photo's on another site. Mother of ****!!!!

Billy86 wrote: »
    The number is commonly pronounced by reading the digits separately as "one-eight-seven," or "one-eighty-seven," rather than "one hundred eighty-seven."

Its radio speak. You read the digits separately to avoid confusion over the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Let's be honest, Islam was only "spread" in its early days by mass murder, terrorism of minorities, genocide and enslavement. Not sure why anyone should be shocked by ISIS. Islam in its purest/worst form is as abhorent as nazism and communism and poses an equal danger. The usual american haters dont care as long as isis are slaughtering minorities in the midddle east. But you can be sure if Isis ever gained a foothold in europe they'd be the first to call for US airstrikes.

CptMackey wrote: »
    So your solution is for the world to sit on their hands and do nothing.

As for the nuke em , in said that if no innocent people would be killed then Ya do it but obviously they would so it's not an option.

You seem to be anti west and it's all "our" fault but yet Isis are not a western creation but a product of the civil war in Syria and the continued ambivalence of Islamic states to extremism because behind it all they agree with Isis. If it were a group of radical Jews taking over Iraq and carrying out these attacks would you be as indifferent

Some would say they are originally a CIA creation...and I'm not indifferent, I'm just fresh out of solutions for "what to do about radical Islam" at the moment. Apart from not nuking them. That's just mental stuff tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

realweirdo wrote: »
    Let's be honest, Islam was only "spread" in its early days by mass murder, terrorism of minorities, genocide and enslavement. Not sure why anyone should be shocked by ISIS. Islam in its purest/worst form is as abhorent as nazism and communism and poses an equal danger. The usual american haters dont care as long as isis are slaughtering minorities in the midddle east. But you can be sure if Isis ever gained a foothold in europe they'd be the first to call for US airstrikes.

Id like America do what it does best, for once. But im pretty positive they cant afford to. I dont see it coming any time soon but If Isis actually managed to get a foothold in Europe well be relying on our own forces. I think we'd actually be pleasantly surprised by their capabilities.

That, or ill be welding some corrugated iron to my jeep :D

Some would say they are originally a CIA creation...and I'm not indifferent, I'm just fresh out of solutions for "what to do about radical Islam" at the moment. Apart from not nuking them. That's just mental stuff tbh.

But blaming the entire populace of Europe and North America for whats happening right now isn't mental right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its radio speak. You read the digits separately to avoid confusion over the radio.
    Just found his post a little ironic given his username basically means 'murder' is all. :p

InTheTrees wrote: »
    But so f'ing what??

Have you seen the big round towers our ancestors built to try and defend against the vikings?

Have you read about the savage brutality of the middle ages?

yes. The west has been savage. The romans were watching Christians fighting to the death against animals in the coliseum.

Slaughter and death all around.

??

So you think that means we should sit back and let Isis behead kids because its their turn at brutality? let them have their own 12th century and dont interfere?

I really dont get your point.

No, you don't. My point is, this is a Middle Eastern issue at the moment. How about letting them sort it out? As an analogy, if during the troubles, when the IRA were at their height and bombing regularly, what if the US decided to bomb them back into their boxes? Because "bad stuff was happening". That a good solution?

Frankly, I think this is all about stirring up more hatred between Christians and Muslims, more warring and more bombing, which is more money for some. That's my bottom line - I think someone has an eye on their bottom line. Who was it said WW3 would be between the Muslims and the Christians....as a handy way to make another few bob??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I remember reading somewhere recently that Syria warned the US about the formation of this group some time ago and asked for help to nip it in the bud before it flourished. The US refused to help them and turned around and supported ISIS instead. Now they're playing the good guy with air strikes and what have you. Serious shenanigans going on. Can't help but feel that all this instability in the Middle East is exactly what the US want. Turning countries and people against each other. Must try and find that article again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

No, you don't. My point is, this is a Middle Eastern issue at the moment. How about letting them sort it out? As an analogy, if during the troubles, when the IRA were at their height and bombing regularly, what if the US decided to bomb them back into their boxes? Because "bad stuff was happening". That a good solution?

Frankly, I think this is all about stirring up more hatred between Christians and Muslims, more warring and more bombing, which is more money for some. That's my bottom line - I think someone has an eye on their bottom line. Who was it said WW3 would be between the Muslims and the Christians....as a handy way to make another few bob??

Its their issue but when it costs 200 quid to fill your car (not to mention the price increase on literally everything else) itll be ours too!
    Its a sad fact but its true.

Advertisement