Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Irish Independent the most right wing paper in the country?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 spook_house

its a pretty poor paper but not because its centre right , the financial times is centre right yet is a good paper

a decent right of centre newspaper would be welcome in ireland to counter the centre left editorial of the irish times and rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Got a serious craving for BBQ chicken wings now like...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,997 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Alive! is left-wing, surely? It is in favour of state-control, or common ownership, over a woman's body rather than that individual's choice.

Oh dear...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

alive is not comparable on any level as its a religous publication in the same way the farmers journal doesnt focus on politics or global affairs outside its own specific focus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

In fairness, The FJ has a pretty wide editorial scope in relation to global affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I don't know OP, has anyone thought to ask Rosanna Davison for her opinion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Well Kevin Myers writes for it & he's to the right of Mussolini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I'd call Myers centre-right. John Waters though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Macavity. wrote: »
    I don't know about "most right wing", it just seems like a very unreliable paper with poor quality journalism. A lot of news stories with key details left out, and in some cases just lies (eg. the rabbit who wasn't really dead, which begs the question; why was there a story about a rabbit in the first place?)

Very few Irish papers would be considered reliable or truthful. They just don't get caught out very often. Occasionally one of the overdoes it, e.g. the IT with their 'first Irish abortion'story and has to grovel a bit but usually they get away with it.

Most Irish media has a slant, just depends on how much you agree with that slant. I'm sure many in do and IT readers would argue their paper is bang on centre even though both statements can't really be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Irish Times left wing bias is far more blatant than the Independent's right wing bias imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Magaggie wrote: »
    I'd call Myers centre-right. John Waters though...

How far to the right is "borderline-Dark Enlightenment"?

Well Kevin Myers writes for it & he's to the right of Mussolini.

good writer though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

How far to the right is "borderline-Dark Enlightenment"?

An interesting question!

One would have to burrow deep into a mind-set so bereft of original penetrating ideas that it has to set up a whole quasi-structure of imagined enemies that gives it a raison d'etre?

The Irish Times left wing bias is far more blatant than the Independent's right wing bias imo.

yes but left of centre journalism is the mainstream in ireland

the irish times is the labour party in print , rte is the labour party in sound and pictures

( socilism which lives in a nice part of town )

And then others say RTE is right-wing. Guess it depends on your bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'd say narrow minded, populist and sensationalist rather than particularly conservative. It's such a pile of ****e, we are very poorly serviced here media wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Right-wing? The Independent is the most harmless, middle-of-the-road, pro-whatever the government is at publication I've ever wiped my arse with.

And then others say RTE is right-wing. Guess it depends on your bias.

im trying hard to fathom how rte is right wing in any sense , its not radical left or anything close to it and its hard on sinn fein but it most certainly exudes that mary robinson kind of sensibilities , politically correct on all the vaguely controversial topical issues

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I'd say narrow minded, populist and sensationalist rather than particularly conservative. It's such a pile of ****e, we are very poorly serviced here media wise.

agree , the media here is at best lazy , at worst slavish

rte were scandalously slow in doing their job when it came to the garda mc cabe and wilson story a few months ago , they may as well have been working for the garda press office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

im trying hard to fathom how rte is right wing in any sense , its not radical left or anything close to it and its hard on sinn fein but it most certainly exudes that mary robinson kind of sensibilities , politically correct on all the vaguely controversial topical issues

I think it's down to individual editors producers and presenters how left or right particular shows are slanted. For example on Rte news last week they covered the gay pride event in Belfast yet gave coverage to the handful of religious extremists protesting which had no real relevance to the event. However shows like morning Ireland could be perceived as being quite leftwing due to the approach it's presenters take to certain topics and groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

BazPM wrote: »
    It seems that the Irish independent has a very conservative, right wing and anti immigrant agenda.
    What are people's opinions?

don't think any Irish paper are has an anti-immigrant agenda - check the Mail or Express across the pond if you want anti-immigrant slant - in general i think immigrants get a pretty fair deal from the Irish media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

BazPM wrote: »
    It seems that the Irish independent has a very conservative, right wing and anti immigrant agenda. The paper dedicates a disproportionate amount of coverage to immigrants and it's one of the few publications that feels the need to consistently state whether the accused or perpetrator is foreign national or not in any article. The comments section on the independent is something to behold. Look at the comments on this article for example http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/dublin-dad-elected-as-mayor-of-tripoli-in-libya-30492455.html#sthash.YQxJ6vjI
    ?

I want to know if a criminal is a foreign national or not. Foreign nationals are guests in this country and should behave themselves accordingly. If they break the law they should be deported. We can't deport our own scumbags but we can depot other countries scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Independent just write articles out of thin air without any evidence to back up their facts. Their policy is "paper doesn't refuse ink".

thebaz wrote: »
    don't think any Irish paper are has an anti-immigrant agenda - check the Mail or Express across the pond if you want anti-immigrant slant - in general i think immigrants get a pretty fair deal from the Irish media

As do travellers. despite. the rampant criminality

woodoo wrote: »
    I want to know if a criminal is a foreign national or not. Foreign nationals are guests in this country and should behave themselves accordingly. If they break the law they should be deported. We can't deport our own scumbags but we can depot other countries scumbags.

Ditto with travellers , they want ethnic status so surely. should be identified as such in news reports , Wayne dundon wasn't identified as a traveller when sentenced recently

im trying hard to fathom how rte is right wing in any sense
    Conservative so.
    A lot of the agendas people talk about within the Irish media are in the imagination/due to confirmation bias.
    If you're in the centre you'll consider most Irish media to be pretty neutral. I don't think it's possible for any media outlet to be completely neutral (although the BBC is pretty good for it - I guess because it doesn't have an opinion/commentary platform?) but a slight natural bias does not make something on a par with Fox News/The Guardian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Oh dear...

I'd like to think that was lighthearted from Donkey there, i lold anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

There is no 'right wing' paper in Ireland. The whole right vs left wing isn't even a thing over here, rather it's an imported Americanism, which some people mistakenly believe to be relevant to Irish life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't think it's possible for any media outlet to be completely neutral (although the BBC is pretty good for it - I guess because it doesn't have an opinion/commentary platform?) but a slight natural bias does not make something on a par with Fox News/The Guardian.

Reuters?

Advertisement